The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Elektron announces Digitone Keys
Old 8th May 2019
News Desk Editor

Elektron announces Digitone Keys-gallery_full.jpg

We’re delighted to announce Digitone Keys, the eight voice polyphonic synthesizer that takes you through the looking glass and back in an instant.

The 37-key velocity and pressure sensitive keyboard with aftertouch gives you a whole new level of expression and control of the Digitone’s intuitive sound engine, representing our vision of how FM synthesis can be revitalized and modernized.

Imagine the sound of whispering dunes, rolling thunder, or the twinkle of distant stars. With this ready-to-go performance machine, curiosity is all you need. Intuitive sound crafting, 37 keys, 8 voice polyphony, mod and pitch wheels, dedicated outputs per track, and brand new customizable controls. These are the things that dreams are made of.

There are a limited number of Digitone Keys available to buy now from our website, with the next units available to pre-order through retailers carrying the Elektron range of products.

Key features

Restrictions are for the dreamless

This eight voice polyphonic synthesizer keyboard is a performance machine that can usher in soundscapes of distant dreams and worlds previously out of reach. The 37-key velocity and pressure sensitive keyboard lets you wield the Digitone’s powerful sound engine with even more control. Multimap lets you configure and assign individual sounds per region, triggering sounds or patterns with the tap of a key, while the ability to use portamento and arpeggio flourishes with the freedom of three octaves. Twist through the looking glass and back with the flick of a wrist.

Sculpt your sound

With the Digitone's powerful and easy to use FM engine you have Digitone dynamism in keyboard form. A variety of dedicated features put the power at your fingertips. Get maximum control out of the machine with eight new assignable knobs. Choose the function you want for each knob to tailor your Digitone Keys, and then let loose. The freedom to switch between tempestuous and serene soundscapes in an instant is laid out in front of you. In an Elektron first, the Digitone Keys helps you liberate your live show with a flexible mod and pitch wheel setup, allowing you to warp your sound to another world with multiple modulations.

Get connected

With separate outputs for each track, connecting to external effects mixers and pedals, audio interfaces, and modulation sources is easier than ever before. Pinpoint single Digitone Keys tracks to process independently from the rest of your sound.

Specifications

Synth voice features
- 8 voice polyphony (4-part multitimbral)
- Multiple FM algorithms
- Multiple operator harmonics
- 1 × multimode filter per voice
- 1 × base-width filter per voice
- 1 × overdrive per voice
- 2 × assignable LFO per voice
- Unison
- Portamento
- 2048 patch storage capacity on the +Drive

Sequencer
- 4 × synth tracks
- 4 × MIDI tracks
- Arpeggiator per synth track
- Polyphonic sequencing
- Individual track lengths
- Parameter locks
- Micro timing
- Trig conditions
- Sound per step change
- 128 × projects on the +Drive
- 8 × Banks 16 × patterns per project

Send & master effects
- Panoramic Chorus send effect
- Saturator Delay send effect
- Supervoid Reverb send effect
- Overdrive master effect

Hardware
- 37-key semi-weighted, velocity sensitive keyboard with aftertouch
- Assignable pitch and modulation wheels
- 8 × user assignable rotary encoders
- 2 × 1/4" impedance balanced main out jacks
- 8 × 1/4" impedance balanced track out jacks
- 1 × 1/4" stereo headphone jack
- 2 × 1/4" audio in jacks
- 2 × 1/4" CV/Expression/Sustain jacks
- 128 × 64 pixel OLED screen
- 48 kHz, 24-bit D/A and A/D converters
- Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port
- MIDI In/Out/Thru with DIN Sync out

Physical specifications
Sturdy steel casing
Dimensions: W868 × D185 × H90 mm (including knobs, feet, and jacks)
Weight: approximately 6 kg

Miscellaneous
- Dedicated MIDI controller mode
- Overbridge enabled
- 3 year Elektron warranty

Included in the box
- Power Supply PSU-3b
- Elektron USB cable

Pricing & availability

The Digitone Keys is 1299 USD/1320 EUR/1180 GBP and we have a limited number available to buy now from our website. Act quickly to get one of the first machines! The next units are available to pre-order through retailers carrying the Elektron range of products.

Come meet the Digitone Keys at Superbooth, booth W110.
Find out more at www.elektron.se
Attached Thumbnails
Elektron announces Digitone Keys-gallery_full.jpg  
Old 9th May 2019
mfx
Lives for gear

That looks horrible! Reminds me of something silver of decades gone by but cant get what.

On the other hand...the specs and price look nice.
Old 9th May 2019
Yeah it does look ugly!

Since Elektron can't get rid of their "trademark" feature (the sequencer) they should have opted for the Analog Keys layout but instead they went full-Monomachine on this one.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Head
Since it's impossible to use pitch bend or mod wheel while playing with both hands, this seems to be more a production tool then a full live instrument. With better layout (and maybe one or two octaves more of keys) this might have been the DX7 of my dreams.
Old 10th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx View Post
That looks horrible!
It looks like they couldn't be bothered to rethink the Digitone layout for a keyboard form factor so they just glued some keys to the side of it.

In reality it probably has more to do with manufacturing economics since they already have production set up for the Digitone without keys, but still, poor form.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Nut

That looks like a terrible form factor. Come on, Elektron, get it together.
Old 11th May 2019
Gear Maniac

I really don't get what the negative fuss is all about. I think its fine and a bit of fresh air over the obvious design choices that everyone seems to expect they made on this one. I was on the market for a a digitone. Now I want this extra treat on it. Well done Elektron.
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear
Such a cool FM engine, would have loved to see it with more stripped down - without the sequencer (maybe a basic step seq and arp, 61 keys, 16 voices, 8 part multimbral etc...cant even polychain which is a shame. Truly could have been a sexed up DX7 - without "restrictions"
Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackbout View Post
It looks like they couldn't be bothered to rethink the Digitone layout for a keyboard form factor so they just glued some keys to the side of it.

In reality it probably has more to do with manufacturing economics since they already have production set up for the Digitone without keys, but still, poor form.
It's not without precedent. Seems they might even be using this style as a kind of trademark, although with their more modern efforts it would have been a good time to have a rethink.

Old 12th May 2019
Lives for gear
I quite like this approach. Stands apart from the usual bunch. Well done Elektron.
Old 12th May 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Please someone tell me that sonicstate gave them the “stupidest design in show” award for that... thing.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

This has grown on me over the course of SB weekend. At this point I’d choose it over a MODX and eventually when it comes down in price I can see wanting one. It has many more pros that outweigh the con of the form factor, which has become completely overblown.
Old 13th May 2019
Here for the gear
Hm... playing rigjt hand, realtime tweaking left hand. I would need to try
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search