The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Blue Cat Audio Launches Protector 2.2 Brickwall Limiter & Promos on Dynamics Plug-Ins
Old 27th April 2019
  #1
Gear Addict
 
bluecataudio's Avatar
 

Blue Cat Audio Launches Protector 2.2 Brickwall Limiter & Promos on Dynamics Plug-Ins

We are happy to unleash Blue Cat's Protector 2.2, a new version of our brickwall limiter plug-in and launch "Dynamics Month" promotions on our recently updated dynamics processors.

With a brand new user interface (fully zoomable), lookahead support, new factory presets and many other new features and enhancements (full change list below), this new version offers a streamlined limiting experience and greatly improves the result of brickwall limiting on the master buss. It can now also be used on any individual track, supporting both stereo and mono signals.


Upgrade to the new version is free for existing customers and can be downloaded from the link received by email upon purchase. A special introduction price (20% off the plug-in) is available until May 25th.

At this occasion, we have launched a special promotion (up to 33% off) on all our recently updated dynamics processors during the "Dynamics Month": the Protector limiter, the all-in-one Dynamics plug-in, the multiband MB-5 Dynamix plug-in and the Energy Pack bundle. Existing customers should receive extra discounts by email. Demo versions of all plug-ins are available for download on www.bluecataudio.com, in most popular plug-in formats for Mac and PC.

New in Blue Cat's Protector 2.2:
- Brand new GUI design, with improved usability and touchscreen support.
- The GUI can now be zoomed from 70% to 200%.
- Lock the GUI state to prevent changes when loading presets.
- New lookahead function to reduce distortion when used as a loudness booster.
- Mono tracks support: the plug-in now also works in mono.
- Last loaded preset is now remembered in session and displayed in the presets menu.
- Plug-in state can now be reverted to the last loaded preset.
- Now supports retina displays on Mac (text and graphs using high resolution).
- Mac: new installer.
- Mac: fixed minor compatibility issues with Mac OS High Sierra and Mojave.
- Changed demo limitations: up to 5 instances allowed, bypass time changed to half a second, and bypass parameter is not affected anymore.
- Dropped support for Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.6 and earlier.
- Dropped support for legacy RTAS and DirectX plug-ins formats.
- Fully compatible with previous versions of the plug-in (except for VST3 on Mac, as explained here: https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/ti...hanges-on-mac/).

System requirements:
- Intel Mac running Mac OS 10.7 or newer.
- PC running Windows Vista or newer.

Pricing:
- Protector: 79 EUR/USD instead of 99 (20% off) until May 25th.
- Dynamics: 99 EUR/USD instead of 129 (23% off) until May 25th.
- MB-5 Dynamix: 99 EUR/USD instead of 149 (33% off) until May 25th.
- Energy Pack: 299 EUR/USD instead of 399 (25% off) until May 25th.

Video:


Enjoy

Last edited by bluecataudio; 3rd May 2019 at 09:14 AM..
Old 28th April 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
So is this a brickwall limiter designed to compete with plugins like Pro L or is it for speaker/ear protection? The name confuses me.
Old 29th April 2019
  #3
Gear Addict
 
bluecataudio's Avatar
 

It was not designed to compete with any particular product but it will do much more than "just" protect your ears or monitors:
Quote:
Blue Cat's Protector is a 0 dB stereo brickwall limiter with adjustable dynamics response. It will typically find its place on the master bus of your DAW to protect your audio output from overshoot, limit the general volume and improve the perceived loudness, thanks to a very transparent frequency response and its lookahead capabilities.
Old 29th April 2019
  #4
Gear Addict
 

Been waiting for this since the namm announcement. When you say existing customers should receive extra discounts by email do you mean owners of the on sale products or owners of blue cat products in general?
Old 29th April 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 

This limiter deserves a lot more attention...If I wasn't overloaded with limiters I'd definitely pick this one up.
Old 29th April 2019
  #6
Gear Addict
 
bluecataudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
Been waiting for this since the namm announcement. When you say existing customers should receive extra discounts by email do you mean owners of the on sale products or owners of blue cat products in general?
The offers have been sent to all customers who accepted to receive emails from us, regardless of their purchases. If you did not receive the email, feel free to contact support so that it can be resent!
Old 29th April 2019
  #7
Gear Addict
 
bluecataudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast View Post
This limiter deserves a lot more attention...If I wasn't overloaded with limiters I'd definitely pick this one up.
Thanks!
Old 29th April 2019
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecataudio View Post
The offers have been sent to all customers who accepted to receive emails from us, regardless of their purchases. If you did not receive the email, feel free to contact support so that it can be resent!
Yeah I accepted to receive emails but didn't receive one. I'll write support now. Thanks
Old 30th April 2019
  #9
Gear Addict
 
bluecataudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
Yeah I accepted to receive emails but didn't receive one. I'll write support now. Thanks
Email just sent!
Old 30th April 2019
  #10
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecataudio View Post
Email just sent!
Got it... thank you very much. I'm so anxious now because I still have to wait until payday comes through. Anyone who hasn't tried these... now is the time. Dynamics is really something special. It is one if the few plugins that lives up to the title of "toolbox" and is so transparent and flexible that it can replace a dozen plugins at once. I am working on some videos to post and plan to make some showing that the Blue Cat Dynamics (not a sponsor haha) stands up to the best. Anyway... thanks again.
Old 1st May 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
This is a very good transparent master buss limiter. I use FabFilter Pro-L2 for most projects but found that I prefer BC Protector 2.2 in every case where I compared them. Also, the knee control seems very effective at dialing in overall transient levels. Blue Cat is definitely doing something right here. Now I'll have to check out their Dynamics plug-in which I haven't demoed in a long time.

Calling March Hare
Old 1st May 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
This is a very good transparent master buss limiter. I use FabFilter Pro-L2 for most projects but found that I prefer BC Protector 2.2 in every case where I compared them. Also, the knee control seems very effective at dialing in overall transient levels. Blue Cat is definitely doing something right here. Now I'll have to check out their Dynamics plug-in which I haven't demoed in a long time.

Calling March Hare
Have to try this as soon as I
get a chance, been using Fabfilter
a lot lately too.
Old 1st May 2019
  #13
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STSQ View Post
The Pro-L2 is a True Peak limiter while this is not.
This may not be labeled as a true peak limiter but it has oversampling and look ahead which are the tools almost every limiter uses to control true peaks. I'm not sure off the top of my head what all methods Pro-L2 uses in true peak mode and I assume FabFilter implemented a special algorithm but it definitely uses oversampling and probably lookahead in true peak mode.
Old 1st May 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by STSQ View Post
The Pro-L2 is a True Peak limiter while this is not.
Here is a quote from the Pro-L2 manual: "Not everyone cares about true peaks or inter-sample clipping: see Output options for the full discussion."

And then in Output options the Pro-L2 manual says, "Many professionally mastered albums contain inter-sample clipping and this doesn't have to be a problem. The main effect is that the music may suffer from slight distortion when played by low-quality D/A converters, or when converted to AAC/MP3 format."

Like many others, I personally don't like true peak limiting and never enable it in the Pro-L2.
Old 1st May 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
This may not be labeled as a true peak limiter but it has oversampling and look ahead which are the tools almost every limiter uses to control true peaks. I'm not sure off the top of my head what all methods Pro-L2 uses in true peak mode and I assume FabFilter implemented a special algorithm but it definitely uses oversampling and probably lookahead in true peak mode.
Yes. If you're demoing this, make sure to try the lookahead mode, which seems to do a very good job of reducing distortion.
Old 1st May 2019
  #16
Gear Addict
 
bluecataudio's Avatar
 

Anyway, what is called "True Peak Limiting" is actually not entirely "true", and we could probably debate about it for decades :-). The typical specification for "true peak" measurement (that comes from the ITU and EBU R128 loudness measurement norms) just requires 4x linear phase oversampling. So it adds latency, and there could still be inter-sample peaks above 0 dB when converted back to analog: it's just that you are catching more using oversampling. So we preferred not to add such an option on Protector.

What is really important to us is that once a signal has been limited using a non-"true peak" limiter such as Protector, the audio data can be converted to fixed point audio formats files without extra clipping - so there is no data loss.

Another funny thing about this topic is that most devices used to listen to music nowadays use are purely digital processing chain, and the volume control operates most of the time before the DAC. So unless you listen to music at full volume, you are not likely to test the performance of your DAC on true peaks (and your ears might start distorting earlier :-)).

True Peak limiting is however necessary when you need to deliver audio for channels that specify true peak and loudness levels, but that's another story.
Old 1st May 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
Like many others, I personally don't like true peak limiting and never enable it in the Pro-L2.
Also don't like the sound of true peak limiting, dulls the transients, makes things hazy.
Old 1st May 2019
  #18
Gear Nut
Twice the same:

New in Blue Cat's Protector 2.2:
- Brand new GUI design, with improved usability and touchscreen support.
- The GUI can now be zoomed from 70% to 200%.
- Lock the GUI state to prevent changes when loading presets.
- New lookahead function to reduce distortion when used as a loudness booster.
- Mono tracks support: the plug-in now also works in mono.
- Lock GUI state to prevent changes when loading presets.
- Last loaded preset is now remembered in session and displayed in the presets menu.
- Plug-in state can now be reverted to the last loaded preset.
- Now supports retina displays on Mac (text and graphs using high resolution).
- Mac: new installer.
- Mac: fixed minor compatibility issues with Mac OS High Sierra and Mojave.
- Changed demo limitations: up to 5 instances allowed, bypass time changed to half a second, and bypass parameter is not affected anymore.
- Dropped support for Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.6 and earlier.
- Dropped support for legacy RTAS and DirectX plug-ins formats.
- Fully compatible with previous versions of the plug-in
Old 2nd May 2019
  #19
Gear Addict
 
bluecataudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
This is a very good transparent master buss limiter. I use FabFilter Pro-L2 for most projects but found that I prefer BC Protector 2.2 in every case where I compared them. Also, the knee control seems very effective at dialing in overall transient levels. Blue Cat is definitely doing something right here. Now I'll have to check out their Dynamics plug-in which I haven't demoed in a long time.
Glad that you like it! The latest version of Dynamics released earlier this year has a dual lookahead feature (one for the general dynamics curve and another one for the output limiter) that is very useful too. With 100 ms lookahead and slow attack and release times (or with RMS envelope), you can even create responses that sound like manual fader movements on the console.
Old 2nd May 2019
  #20
Lives for gear
 
musicman691's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecataudio View Post
Glad that you like it! The latest version of Dynamics released earlier this year has a dual lookahead feature (one for the general dynamics curve and another one for the output limiter) that is very useful too. With 100 ms lookahead and slow attack and release times (or with RMS envelope), you can even create responses that sound like manual fader movements on the console.
Dynamics lives on my 2-bus; haven't noticed this feature even though I have the latest update. Not saying it's not there but that I just haven't paid attention as I should have.
Old 3rd May 2019
  #21
Gear Addict
 
bluecataudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Not saying it's not there but that I just haven't paid attention as I should have.
It is indeed just two small dropdown boxes in the new GUI, but they can make a big difference :-). There are a few words about it this Dynamics update video (around 2:25)
Old 3rd May 2019
  #22
Gear Addict
 
bluecataudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Flux View Post
Twice the same:

New in Blue Cat's Protector 2.2:
- Brand new GUI design, with improved usability and touchscreen support.
- The GUI can now be zoomed from 70% to 200%.
- Lock the GUI state to prevent changes when loading presets.
- New lookahead function to reduce distortion when used as a loudness booster.
- Mono tracks support: the plug-in now also works in mono.
- Lock GUI state to prevent changes when loading presets.
Thanks for the heads up - it has been fixed on the website!
Old 28th May 2019
  #23
Gear Addict
 
bluecataudio's Avatar
 

The "Dynamics Month" on bluecataudio.com has been extended until June 1st and also includes the DP Meter Pro metering plug-in, don't miss our promotions on the Blue Cat Audio store!



Enjoy!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #24
Lives for gear
I went on the hunt for threads after trying this plugin today. I used to use Kjaerhus GPP-1 religiously when I was still on a 32-bit DAW and missed it ever since. I actually think with the lookahead implemented, Protector now offers a very similar sound to GPP-1. What's special here is that you can have a very low latency limiter with knee for peak limiting on tracks (instead of the master). I used to LOVE GPP-1 on vocals, it made everything so upfront while avoiding sudden attacks and plosives (due to the essentially zero attack).

I also love the GUI and simplicity of the Blue Cat plugin here.

In my personal opinion, I feel that the price is just a bit too high for what I would use this for. I haven't yet compared it to Limitless or Elephant as a true mastering limiter as I'm more interested in it as a track limiter. At $99 (and even at $79), it's a lot harder to justify the buy for me. I would be more tempted to pull the trigger at around a $69 USD regular price, and $49 USD promo price.

Of course, this is my opinion and everyone places different value on different things, but it was just a thought from a new customer. I'll likely be waiting for the Black Friday sales to see where the price goes and maybe pick this up

In saying all of this, keep up the great work Blue Cat guys!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #25
Gear Addict
 
bluecataudio's Avatar
 

If you are already a Blue Cat Audio customer, there are usually some interesting offers upon new releases and updates
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump