The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ValhallaDelay. Available Today. $50.
Old 30th October 2019
  #511
ValhallaDSP
 
seancostello's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Sean, the BBD modes in ValhallaDelay sound terrific and have a ton of vibe. Any chance of seeing some of these BBDs worked into something like SpaceModulator or UberMod for old-school chorus/flanging effects? For instance, the Ensemble 360 mode in SpaceModulator can be a great, thick, chorus on synths and even with modulation, diffusion and a touch of drive, I can't get that same thick chorus out of ValhallaDelay. Which made me wonder if these are newer BBD models and might be able to find their way into a dedicated modulation plugin.

Hey Funkybot! The short answer is that ValhallaDelay has BBD models that are considerably more advanced than the delay models used in Space Modulator or ÜberMod. The BBD modes in ValhallaDelay have companding, antialiasing filters, and much more advanced saturation options than the older Valhalla plugins.

The BBDuck and Clarity modes that are in the upcoming ValhallaDelay update have some really nice multi-voice modulation options available when using the Quad delay style:

BBDuck: the Quad style uses an 8-phase sine modulator, arranged so that the L/R tap pairs (Tap 1/2/3/4) have modulation 180 degrees out of phase. The modulation is smoothed, so the modulation depth is lowed as the modulation frequency increases. I've been using this to get some pseudo rotary speaker effects (you'll have to wait a bit to try this preset, but putting it here for reference):

<ValhallaDelay pluginVersion="1.5.1" presetName="BBDUCK-Rotary" Mix="0.5" DelayStyle="0.97699999809265136719" DelayLSync="0.25" DelayLNote="0.20000000298023223877" DelayL_Ms="0" DelayRSync="0.25" DelayRNote="0.20000000298023223877" DelayR_Ms="0" DelaySpread="0.5" DelaySpacing="0.5" DelayRatio="0.61414140462875366211" RepeatSwell="1" TapA="1" TapB="1" TapC="1" TapD="1" Feedback="0" Width="1" DriveIn="0.50099998712539672852" Age="0" Diffusion="0" DiffSize="1" LowCut="0" HighCut="1" ModRate="0.46799999475479125977" ModDepth="0.40000000596046447754" Wow="0.5" Flutter="0.5" FreqShift="0.5" FreqDetune="0.57999998331069946289" PitchShift="0.5" PitchDetune="0.5" Mode="0.3333333432674407959" Era="1" Ducking="0" Reserved2="0" Reserved3="0" Reserved4="0"/>

Clarity: the Quad style has multi-phase modulation, that varies according to how Era is set.
  • Past: 8-phase sine oscillator, as described above.
  • Present: 4 triangle LFOs, with the right voice in each L/R pair (Tap 1/2/3/4) being modulated 180 degrees out of phase from the left voice. Each triangle LFO is at a different frequency. This gives you something similar to the 8Tap mode in ValhallaÜberMod, but with a different staggering of modulation frequencies, and the ability to have all taps feeding into the inputs for SST-esque feedback effects. This is GREAT for huge chorus sounds.
  • Future: 8 random LFOs. Great for random flanging, and more subtle / natural modulation effects.

The Clarity LFOs do NOT smooth out their modulation depths, so you can get really extreme pitch bending effects. Clarity is inspired by some old school rackmount digital delays, that allowed for really crazy and deep modulation with the built-in LFOs.

I've been A/Bing some of the modulation presets I'm working on for the ValhallaDelay update with SpaceModulator and ÜberMod, and...well, not to speak ill of my older plugins, but there is a liveliness and presence in the ValhallaDelay versions that the older plugins don't have. I think that the saturation models (in BBDuck) and the program dependent limiter (in Clarity) have a lot to do with this liveliness.
Old 30th October 2019
  #512
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Hey Funkybot! The short answer is that ValhallaDelay has BBD models that are considerably more advanced than the delay models used in Space Modulator or ÜberMod. The BBD modes in ValhallaDelay have companding, antialiasing filters, and much more advanced saturation options than the older Valhalla plugins...

I've been A/Bing some of the modulation presets I'm working on for the ValhallaDelay update with SpaceModulator and ÜberMod, and...well, not to speak ill of my older plugins, but there is a liveliness and presence in the ValhallaDelay versions that the older plugins don't have. I think that the saturation models (in BBDuck) and the program dependent limiter (in Clarity) have a lot to do with this liveliness.
The ValhallaDelay BBD modes are truly excellent. The new modes sound awesome. Looking forward to the next update. Hopefully there are some available slots in those older plugins for some new BBD based modes. Or a Valhalla VintageModulator in the future (though SpaceModulator is already close).
Old 31st October 2019
  #513
Gear Maniac
 
alexishere's Avatar
 

When does the update come out? Damn, sean you always raise the bar way beyond expected!
Old 31st October 2019
  #514
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexishere View Post
When does the update come out? Damn, sean you always raise the bar way beyond expected!
Possibly soon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Targeting early to mid November for the official release.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #515
Gear Guru
Sean is amazing in value to customer...... VVV has has a bunch of updates, all free all significant....... Can tell it's the guys passion!......
Old 3 weeks ago
  #516
Gear Addict
 

When will 1.5.1 drop?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #517
ValhallaDSP
 
seancostello's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
When will 1.5.1 drop?
The 1.5.2 update (I had to go up a version number to deal with a bug fix) is currently being tested by our core beta testers. Assuming that all the feedback we get back is good, we'll upload the betas to the user accounts of all ValhallaDelay license holders sometime in the middle of this upcoming week. The "official" launch (email, demo versions, and so forth) should happen the week after that.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #518
ValhallaDSP
 
seancostello's Avatar
 

ValhallaDelay 1.5.2 Beta

Hey all,

I've just uploaded the 1.5.2 beta versions to the user accounts of all ValhallaDelay owners.

The 1.5.2 update introduces 3 new delay Modes:
  • BBDuck: A brighter BBD model, with brightness that tracks the delay time (shorter delays are brighter, while longer delays are darker). Based on our analysis of the Ibanez AD-150 and Roland DC-10.
  • Clarity: A clean "digital" delay, with a program dependent limiter, so you can SLAM the drive gain without getting distortion. Bandwidth determined by the Age control. Deep and wild modulation waveforms, selected by the Era control.
  • DuckTape: A tape delay with built-in companding noise reduction. Similar to the existing Tape mode, but brighter, and virtually noise free.

All of the new modes have ducking! This is a 1-knob ducking control. We did a lot of work and research to develop a ducking method that didn't require threshold/attack/release controls. Just turn up the ducking knob, to introduce feedback and output ducking that "just works."

The new installer is also notarized and stapled for Catalina. Which is totally boring, but you'll need it if you are going to run Catalina. Apple is releasing some cool new machines in the next few months, which will only run Catalina or newer macOSes, so we're working on getting all of our plugins & installers ready for Catalina.

Thanks for checking this out! If you run into any issues, send us a note through our Support form (https://valhalladsp.com/support-request/) and we'll look into it. We're hoping to "officially" release this next week.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #519
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Thanks for checking this out!
Yer a legend, Costello!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #520
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Hey all,

I've just uploaded the 1.5.2 beta versions to the user accounts of all ValhallaDelay owners.

The 1.5.2 update introduces 3 new delay Modes:
  • BBDuck: A brighter BBD model, with brightness that tracks the delay time (shorter delays are brighter, while longer delays are darker). Based on our analysis of the Ibanez AD-150 and Roland DC-10.
  • Clarity: A clean "digital" delay, with a program dependent limiter, so you can SLAM the drive gain without getting distortion. Bandwidth determined by the Age control. Deep and wild modulation waveforms, selected by the Era control.
  • DuckTape: A tape delay with built-in companding noise reduction. Similar to the existing Tape mode, but brighter, and virtually noise free.

All of the new modes have ducking! This is a 1-knob ducking control. We did a lot of work and research to develop a ducking method that didn't require threshold/attack/release controls. Just turn up the ducking knob, to introduce feedback and output ducking that "just works."

The new installer is also notarized and stapled for Catalina. Which is totally boring, but you'll need it if you are going to run Catalina. Apple is releasing some cool new machines in the next few months, which will only run Catalina or newer macOSes, so we're working on getting all of our plugins & installers ready for Catalina.

Thanks for checking this out! If you run into any issues, send us a note through our Support form (https://valhalladsp.com/support-request/) and we'll look into it. We're hoping to "officially" release this next week.
Excellent, and thanks for the hard work from a true delay slut!

But, besides the new MacBook Pro, you know something we don’t about new machines?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #521
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Hey all,

I've just uploaded the 1.5.2 beta versions to the user accounts of all ValhallaDelay owners.

The 1.5.2 update introduces 3 new delay Modes:
  • BBDuck: A brighter BBD model, with brightness that tracks the delay time (shorter delays are brighter, while longer delays are darker). Based on our analysis of the Ibanez AD-150 and Roland DC-10.
  • Clarity: A clean "digital" delay, with a program dependent limiter, so you can SLAM the drive gain without getting distortion. Bandwidth determined by the Age control. Deep and wild modulation waveforms, selected by the Era control.
  • DuckTape: A tape delay with built-in companding noise reduction. Similar to the existing Tape mode, but brighter, and virtually noise free.

All of the new modes have ducking! This is a 1-knob ducking control. We did a lot of work and research to develop a ducking method that didn't require threshold/attack/release controls. Just turn up the ducking knob, to introduce feedback and output ducking that "just works."

The new installer is also notarized and stapled for Catalina. Which is totally boring, but you'll need it if you are going to run Catalina. Apple is releasing some cool new machines in the next few months, which will only run Catalina or newer macOSes, so we're working on getting all of our plugins & installers ready for Catalina.

Thanks for checking this out! If you run into any issues, send us a note through our Support form (https://valhalladsp.com/support-request/) and we'll look into it. We're hoping to "officially" release this next week.
Woo-hoo! I'm going to try these on a problematic, close-miced vocal in a vocal/piano track. Wetter verbs are having a hard time moving it back without emphasizing the harsher vocal frequencies, and thinner verbs are adding "halo" but aren't pushing it back very much. Enter Ducking Delays.

Last edited by ziggysane; 2 weeks ago at 09:24 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
  #522
ValhallaDSP
 
seancostello's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
Excellent, and thanks for the hard work from a true delay slut!
Thank you!

Quote:
But, besides the new MacBook Pro, you know something we don’t about new machines?
I don't have any insider knowledge - but Apple mentioned in their MacBook Pro announcement that the Mac Pro is coming in December:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/...-pro-notebook/

From the press release:

Quote:
Today, Apple also announced that the all-new Mac Pro, the world’s best pro desktop, and Apple Pro Display XDR, the world’s best pro display, will be available in December. Designed for maximum performance, expansion and configurability, Mac Pro features workstation-class Xeon processors up to 28 cores, a high-performance memory system with a massive 1.5TB capacity, eight PCIe expansion slots and a graphics architecture featuring the world’s most powerful graphics card. Pro Display XDR features a 32-inch Retina 6K display with P3 wide and 10-bit color, 1,600 nits of peak brightness, 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio and a superwide viewing angle, all at a breakthrough price point.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #523
Lives for gear
Sean, care to share any details about how Era changes the modulation in the Clarity mode?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #524
ValhallaDSP
 
seancostello's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Sean, care to share any details about how Era changes the modulation in the Clarity mode?
Sure! Here's how Era changes the modulation for Clarity:

ERA: Past - sine wave modulation
ERA: Present - triangle wave modulation. Which, in this application, sounds like SQUARE wave modulation. So call it whatever you want. It does that "pitch up/pitch down" thing, with no transition in between the two.
ERA: Future - random modulation. This sounds more subtle than the sine and triangle modulation, as sine and triangle consistently go between the minimum and maximum delay excursion values, while the random modulation kinda wanders around between those, and only rarely reaches the minimum or maximum values.

In many of the ValhallaDelay modes, the modulation waveform is filtered by a lowpass filter with a very low cutoff. This smooths out the waveform, and also causes the modulation depth to naturally increase with increased modulation rate. Well, this isn't going on in Clarity. The modulation in Clarity is inspired by 80s digital processors like the PCM-42, where you can get EXTREME amounts of pitch change with high amounts of modulation depth. So be forewarned: Heyre Be Dragons!

One of the fun "Easter eggs" in the Clarity mode is what the modulation does in the Quad mode:

ERA: Past - 8-phase sine modulation
ERA: Present - 4 triangle modulators (1 per "tap"), each running at slightly different rates, with modulation inverted between left and right channels.
ERA: Futuret - 4 random modulators (1 per "tap"), each running at slightly different rates, with modulation inverted between left and right channels.

This allows for the Clarity Quad mode to get some really cool multitap choruses, pseudo-SST reverbs, and all sorts of big and lush modulation effects.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #525
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Sean, care to share any details about how Era changes the modulation in the Clarity mode?
Good question!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #526
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
One of the fun "Easter eggs" in the Clarity mode is what the modulation does in the Quad mode:
Some deep shiz right there. Thanks for the insights.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #527
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
Sure! Here's how Era changes the modulation for Clarity:

ERA: Past - sine wave modulation
ERA: Present - triangle wave modulation. Which, in this application, sounds like SQUARE wave modulation. So call it whatever you want. It does that "pitch up/pitch down" thing, with no transition in between the two.
ERA: Future - random modulation. This sounds more subtle than the sine and triangle modulation, as sine and triangle consistently go between the minimum and maximum delay excursion values, while the random modulation kinda wanders around between those, and only rarely reaches the minimum or maximum values.

In many of the ValhallaDelay modes, the modulation waveform is filtered by a lowpass filter with a very low cutoff. This smooths out the waveform, and also causes the modulation depth to naturally increase with increased modulation rate. Well, this isn't going on in Clarity. The modulation in Clarity is inspired by 80s digital processors like the PCM-42, where you can get EXTREME amounts of pitch change with high amounts of modulation depth. So be forewarned: Heyre Be Dragons!

One of the fun "Easter eggs" in the Clarity mode is what the modulation does in the Quad mode:

ERA: Past - 8-phase sine modulation
ERA: Present - 4 triangle modulators (1 per "tap"), each running at slightly different rates, with modulation inverted between left and right channels.
ERA: Futuret - 4 random modulators (1 per "tap"), each running at slightly different rates, with modulation inverted between left and right channels.

This allows for the Clarity Quad mode to get some really cool multitap choruses, pseudo-SST reverbs, and all sorts of big and lush modulation effects.
Just came back here to say that Clarity has become my new favorite model.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #528
Thanks for the update!

Old 2 weeks ago
  #529
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plukk View Post
Thanks for the update!

Sweet.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #530
Gear Addict
 

Ducking is phenomenal.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #531
Lives for gear
 

Of the new things I've tried out or purchased in 2019 (that also came out in 2019), more and more I'm certain that Valhalla Delay is the BEST PLUGIN OF THE YEAR. For me, anyway! Possibly the best music thingy of the year for me, as well, though some tougher competition as I also love Hive 2.

Can't say "thank you" enough for this treasured, go-to delay effect, my favorite of the Valhalla plugins so far (long live VV). And for continuing to develop and add to it, too, of course!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #532
Lives for gear
 
guavadude's Avatar
New modes sound great! I wish you had presets organized by mode as well so I couldn’t try a variety of sounds in one mode.
Old 1 week ago
  #533
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
...
couldn't find a thread for VVV, i guess i'll try here. probably a goofy question, never really thought of it until now...

are you very familiar with the old Boss RV digital reverbs? i started out with a RRV-10 half rack, anything of yours along those lines exactly? rather standard room/hall/plate/multi-tap, but i'm wondering if there's anything specific going on that you covered specifically in VVV or another?



Old 1 week ago
  #534
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
couldn't find a thread for VVV...
This one?
Old 1 week ago
  #535
ValhallaDSP
 
seancostello's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
couldn't find a thread for VVV, i guess i'll try here. probably a goofy question, never really thought of it until now...

are you very familiar with the old Boss RV digital reverbs? i started out with a RRV-10 half rack, anything of yours along those lines exactly? rather standard room/hall/plate/multi-tap, but i'm wondering if there's anything specific going on that you covered specifically in VVV or another?



This would make more sense on the old VintageVerb thread, but anyway:

I think I have that RRV-10 reverb. It would be in a box in my office (not a ton of room right now for extra effects). I like a lot of those old Boss half rack effects, but that reverb is not on my favorites list. It seems like some 80s reverbs really got a nice sound, and then others...well, not as much IMO.

The Boss RV-5 Modulate setting is quite nice. It wasn't an influence on any of the Valhalla stuff. But I like it.
Old 1 week ago
  #536
ValhallaDSP
 
seancostello's Avatar
 



We've officially updated ValhallaDelay to version 1.5.2. Three new modes (BBDuck, Clarity, DuckTape) with a simple yet powerful Ducking control! We've posted new installers into user accounts, and updated the demo versions. Check it out!

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/delay/valhalladelay/
Old 1 week ago
  #537
Gear Nut
 

Nice new logo, Sean!
Old 5 days ago
  #538
Gear Nut
 

In case you missed this...

From the Valhalla website: https://valhalladsp.com/2019/11/26/e...e-in-valhalla/

'Tis precisely why I've purchased two of his plugins today.


-bryan
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump