The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ValhallaDelay. Available Today. $50.
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear

@ seancostello
I saw two Binson Echorecs at the Fort Worth Guitar show today and thought about you!
Old 6th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
I can imagine that.
@ seancostello
What do you think about Yamaha E1010?

From my memory, it was not a dirty and nasty type but rather clean for a BBD delay.
As such it may not be so 'characterful', but I thought the sound was very pleasantly rounded and beautiful especially when using it as a chorus for e-guitars.

Hope you bring that sound to 'in the box'.
Old 7th October 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD505 View Post
@ seancostello
What do you think about Yamaha E1010?
I haven't tried an E1010. I just have the E1005. Which is OK, but not spectacular.

Quote:
From my memory, it was not a dirty and nasty type but rather clean for a BBD delay.
As such it may not be so 'characterful', but I thought the sound was very pleasantly rounded and beautiful especially when using it as a chorus for e-guitars.
The E1010, from what I can tell from the service manual, has a VERY high frequency bandwidth for BBD units. It uses a bunch of BBD chips to get it's delay time, which means it is running them at a high clock rate.

Quote:
Hope you bring that sound to 'in the box'.
The next major update of ValhallaDelay will have the BBDuck mode. This is largely based on the Ibanez AD-150 that you can see in my stack o' delays, with some aspects of the Roland DC-10 in there. The main quality of the AD-150 and DC-10 is variable bandwidth. These units have anti-aliasing filters that track the delay time, so you always have the optimal filtering to prevent aliasing. The upshot of this is that short delays can be REALLY bright, while longer delays get darker. This gives you a really organic sound when sweeping the delay time.

As far as the specific modulation characteristics of the E1005 and AD-202 in my picture, I listened to them, and said "nah." If you have an LFO that is linearly modulating your BBD clock, you get all sorts of slewed artifacts that some people might like, but I hate. Meanwhile, the BBD in the Moog Matriarch has a beautiful response to modulation waveforms. Modulate the BBD with a sine wave, and you get a sinusoidal modulation out. My guess is that the Matriarch BBD has exponential modulation of the BBD clock frequency. So I went with that sort of sound for BBDuck.

Plus, BBDuck has ducking. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.
Old 7th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Old 7th October 2019
Quote:
I haven't tried an E1010. I just have the E1005. Which is OK, but not spectacular.
I love the 1010, but admit that it may be down to familiarity. I’ve had mine for over 25 years (I remember paying a whooping USD70 for it, which seemed very expensive at the time).

Quote:
IThe E1010, from what I can tell from the service manual, has a VERY high frequency bandwidth for BBD units. It uses a bunch of BBD chips to get it's delay time, which means it is running them at a high clock rate.
And that probably explains why I initially thought that your BBD model was bugged, I’d simply been working with the least limited one in existence The fact that I’ve also got a collection of darker models didn’t really cross my mind. The 1010 is like a first born, it sticks :D

Quote:
IThe next major update of ValhallaDelay will have the BBDuck mode. This is largely based on the Ibanez AD-150 that you can see in my stack o' delays, with some aspects of the Roland DC-10 in there. The main quality of the AD-150 and DC-10 is variable bandwidth. These units have anti-aliasing filters that track the delay time, so you always have the optimal filtering to prevent aliasing. The upshot of this is that short delays can be REALLY bright, while longer delays get darker. This gives you a really organic sound when sweeping the delay time.

As far as the specific modulation characteristics of the E1005 and AD-202 in my picture, I listened to them, and said "nah." If you have an LFO that is linearly modulating your BBD clock, you get all sorts of slewed artifacts that some people might like, but I hate. Meanwhile, the BBD in the Moog Matriarch has a beautiful response to modulation waveforms. Modulate the BBD with a sine wave, and you get a sinusoidal modulation out. My guess is that the Matriarch BBD has exponential modulation of the BBD clock frequency. So I went with that sort of sound for BBDuck.

That sounds so cool. I’m really looking forward to the update. And I agree on the mod on the 1010 and 202. I hardly ever use it.

Cheers,
j,
Old 7th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:

The E1010, from what I can tell from the service manual, has a VERY high frequency bandwidth for BBD units. It uses a bunch of BBD chips to get it's delay time, which means it is running them at a high clock rate.

The next major update of ValhallaDelay will have the BBDuck mode. This is largely based on the Ibanez AD-150 that you can see in my stack o' delays, with some aspects of the Roland DC-10 in there. The main quality of the AD-150 and DC-10 is variable bandwidth. These units have anti-aliasing filters that track the delay time, so you always have the optimal filtering to prevent aliasing. The upshot of this is that short delays can be REALLY bright, while longer delays get darker. This gives you a really organic sound when sweeping the delay time.

Thanks for the detailed answer and sharing your thought.
I can't say I can understand 100% of what you told (due to my lack of knowledge), but still really educational.
Also, the new mode sounds interesting.

I already have a license for your delay by the way.
Looking forward to the next update.
Old 7th October 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD505 View Post
Thanks for the detailed answer and sharing your thought.
I can't say I can understand 100% of what you told (due to my lack of knowledge), but still really educational.
Also, the new mode sounds interesting.

I already have a license for your delay by the way.
Looking forward to the next update.
tl;dr summary of what I wrote:

- E1010 is really clean & bright for BBD
- my E1005 is darker
- the upcoming BBDuck mode in ValhallaDelay isn't based on either of those - it's closer to the Ibanez AD-150, with added (sine) LFO modulation
- BBDuck has ducking
Old 7th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

- my E1005 is darker
- the upcoming BBDuck mode in ValhallaDelay isn't based on either of those - it's closer to the Ibanez AD-150, with added (sine) LFO modulation
- BBDuck has ducking
So you added Moog Matriarch modulation emulation?!?!?
Old 7th October 2019
Here for the gear
Will any of the delay models besides BBD get ducking?
Old 7th October 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortifex View Post
Will any of the delay models besides BBD get ducking?
I'm not adding ducking to any of the existing models. But there will be new delay modes with ducking. BBDuck (BBD), Clarity (clean w/limiting instead of saturation, and steep lowpass controlled by age), and another one.
Old 7th October 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
So you added Moog Matriarch modulation emulation?!?!?
No. Just sine modulation. I cited the Matriarch as an example of a BBD delay where the modulation output is closer to the modulation input, in that a sine used for modulation results in sinusoidal modulation. Some other BBDs will warp a sine wave into some strange trapezoidal waveform, which sounds not great to my ears.
Old 7th October 2019
Gear Addict

Great news, thank you Sean! My MF-104 is basically always parked on the sinusoidal mod setting. It's a gorgeous, floaty sound when set to a long period.

Looking forward to this update, any ETA? And is Clarity the 42-inspired mode?
Old 7th October 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
Great news, thank you Sean! My MF-104 is basically always parked on the sinusoidal mod setting. It's a gorgeous, floaty sound when set to a long period.

Looking forward to this update, any ETA? And is Clarity the 42-inspired mode?
I gotta finalize the GUI colors with Kristin's help for 2 of the new modes. After that, it will go into the initial beta testing. We'll make presets as well for the new stuff. So, maybe in a few weeks? I'm so bad at estimating this.

Clarity is inspired by my original failed attempts at modeling the PCM42 input limiter. I came up with something that doesn't have the THWACK of the PCM42 - instead, it just smoothly limits as you crank up the gain. Under the hood, it is program dependent with a continuous transfer function (i.e. no "knee," just all curve). Which is a really cool sound in and of itself, and super useful for a clean delay. But Don really wants that PCM42 THWACK. So I decided to put the "failed" attempt into a new mode, and will tackle the PCM42 stuff again later on.
Old 7th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
will tackle the PCM42 stuff again later on.
Yes please!
Old 7th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
No. Just sine modulation. I cited the Matriarch as an example of a BBD delay where the modulation output is closer to the modulation input, in that a sine used for modulation results in sinusoidal modulation. Some other BBDs will warp a sine wave into some strange trapezoidal waveform, which sounds not great to my ears.
Ok, so your modulation does not warp I’m assuming? I love the matriarch.
Old 8th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

- my E1005 is darker
- BBDuck has ducking
Will there be side-chaining ability to control the LFO for ducking the delay?
Old 8th October 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Will there be side-chaining ability to control the LFO for ducking the delay?
No sidechaining in ValhallaDelay. If a user is savvy enough to set up side chains, they can probably figure out how to use a compressor after ValhallaDelay to dial in ducking to their precise specifications.
Old 8th October 2019
Here for the gear

I love this plug-in, especially the straightforward GUI and how easy it is to change modes.

The only thing I truly miss is the ability to sync the delay to tempo but then perform song tempo changes without the delay changing pitch. I can, of course, use milliseconds instead of syncing to notes, but then the delay no longer repeats in sync with the music when the tempo changes. I can try to automate the necessary delay time changes, but Replika XT in 'Modern' mode makes the changes automatically, and so in any song with tempo changes that requires long delays, I generally use that instead. It would be great to see that function in ValhallaDelay. (If it's already there in one of the modes and I've missed it, please let me know!)

Thanks for a great plug-in anyway.
Old 8th October 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
I'm not adding ducking to any of the existing models. But there will be new delay modes with ducking. BBDuck (BBD), Clarity (clean w/limiting instead of saturation, and steep lowpass controlled by age), and another one.
Ah that's good news, thanks.
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Are you still working on the RE-501 compander sound?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've been experimenting with ValhallaDelay as a MicroPitchShifter, by setting up two mono instances, hard panned, with different pitch and delay times.

Comparing it to "Micropitchshift" on the H3000 plugin (which is quite close to the hardware), it's not too far off with similar settings.

A MicroPitchShift Mode on ValhallaDelay would be awesome, where you can adjust the pitch and delay times for each channel. Add in a simple modulation section for a little movement, and you would have a top shelf MicropitchShifter.

Here is a short audio demo, first is the dry vocal, then the H3000 plugin version, then the ValhallaDelay version.

Plugin settings are also attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MicroPitch.zip (1.2 KB, 7 views)

Micro demo.mp3 (1.65 MB, 1462 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
I've been experimenting with ValhallaDelay as a MicroPitchShifter, by setting up two mono instances, hard panned, with different pitch and delay times.

Comparing it to "Micropitchshift" on the H3000 plugin (which is quite close to the hardware), it's not too far off with similar settings.

A MicroPitchShift Mode on ValhallaDelay would be awesome, where you can adjust the pitch and delay times for each channel. Add in a simple modulation section for a little movement, and you would have a top shelf MicropitchShifter.

Here is a short audio demo, first is the dry vocal, then the H3000 plugin version, then the ValhallaDelay version.

Plugin settings are also attached.
Nice vocal that as well (even without the effects).

If you can emulate anyone's vocals why not Freddie's - he was awesome. Good stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
A MicroPitchShift Mode on ValhallaDelay would be awesome, where you can adjust the pitch and delay times for each channel.
It's already in ValhallaDelay! Try Pitch mode, Dual style, and using low values of Detune. For examples of this, look in the PITCH->Doublers folder.

A brief bit of explanation, in case anyone doesn't know this: when using Pitch and RevPitch, the main PITCH Shift control affects both channels the same, while the PITCH Detune affects the left and right channels in opposite manner. So, if you have PITCH Shift at 0, and PITCH Detune at 9, that is shifting the left channel by 9 cents, and the right channel by -9 cents.

In general, if you want microshifting with the same delay for each channel, use the Pitch mode, Single style. For different delays for each channel, try Pitch mode, Dual style. If you want a wide stereo spread, and feedback that doesn't go out of tune, try Pitch mode, Ratio style.

EDIT: I just remembered that Don always preferred using the Pitch mode, Dual style for stereo spread of the presets, even when left and right channels nominally had the same delay. I don't remember why, but I'm going to trust Don's instinct here.

Quote:
Add in a simple modulation section for a little movement, and you would have a top shelf MicropitchShifter.
While designing the ValhallaDelay presets, Don and I had my H3000 on hand, and realized that the sonic results of randomizing the pitch shift amount in the H3000 was very similar to the sort of modulation you can hear in the HiFi mode in ValhallaDelay. Different principle, but very similar sonic result. The PITCH->Doublers->HiFi-VoiceDoubler preset is an example of that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
EDIT: I just remembered that Don always preferred using the Pitch mode, Dual style for stereo spread of the presets, even when left and right channels nominally had the same delay. I don't remember why, but I'm going to trust Don's instinct here.
BECAUSE I'M (almost never...) RIGHT!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's already in ValhallaDelay!
Thanks for the reply Sean.
I didn’t realise that the fine pitch worked inversely for both channels, that makes all the difference!
I was able to quickly replicate the original posts using dual mode. Great stuff!

I’m still interested in adding extra modulation, I tried putting Ubermod after Valhalladelay, and got some very cool results pretty quickly.

I use MicroPitchShifting quite a lot, so it’s a huge bonus to have another option with extra settings.
Old 2 weeks ago
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Are you still working on the RE-501 compander sound?

This has companding, but not specifically modeled on the RE-501. I based this on the companding in my Korg Stage Echo.

I've taken the liberty of removing the tape drop out when there is a splice in the DuckTape model. It turns out that this drop out would completely kill feedback, due to how the compander works. The same thing happens in my Korg Stage Echo - you get a nice self-oscillation with high feedback levels, but then it hits the splice, and the self-oscillation goes away. It was cool to hear that in my tape model, but it is also annoying in practice, so I got rid of that "feature."

The DuckTape mode has noise reduction, so it is much quieter than the current Tape mode in ValhallaDelay. It is also somewhat brighter, as these companded tape echoes tend to be newer than the RE-201s we used to dial in the Tape mode. And, of course, DuckTape has DUCKING.

About the ducking: my goal was to have a one knob ducker that "just works." It took me a long time to figure this out, but I am very happy with the results. There isn't any hidden threshold knob or release time setting, because it doesn't need it. Under the hood, the ducking uses several program dependent envelope followers, and gain computers with no thresholds - just continuous "soft knee" transitions into ducking for both feedback and output level.

Don Gunn has been using the 3 new ducking modes in his mixes for the last few weeks, and is VERY happy with the results. I need to finish up the GUI colors, get some presets together, and wrap everything up in a Catalina-compatible installer (and Windows, of course). Once this is done, we'll send it out to our smaller beta team, and then put the installer into user accounts as a wider beta. Targeting early to mid November for the official release.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Old 2 weeks ago
Even the new model name is fab

j,
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Sean, the BBD modes in ValhallaDelay sound terrific and have a ton of vibe. Any chance of seeing some of these BBDs worked into something like SpaceModulator or UberMod for old-school chorus/flanging effects? For instance, the Ensemble 360 mode in SpaceModulator can be a great, thick, chorus on synths and even with modulation, diffusion and a touch of drive, I can't get that same thick chorus out of ValhallaDelay. Which made me wonder if these are newer BBD models and might be able to find their way into a dedicated modulation plugin.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Sean, the BBD modes in ValhallaDelay sound terrific and have a ton of vibe. Any chance of seeing some of these BBDs worked into something like SpaceModulator or UberMod for old-school chorus/flanging effects? For instance, the Ensemble 360 mode in SpaceModulator can be a great, thick, chorus on synths and even with modulation, diffusion and a touch of drive, I can't get that same thick chorus out of ValhallaDelay. Which made me wonder if these are newer BBD models and might be able to find their way into a dedicated modulation plugin.
A fine suggestion
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search