The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ValhallaDelay. Available Today. $50.
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Addict

Going out on a limb here - Dynachord in the future?
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Ducking.
Thanks for listening.
Will buy this soon.
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor View Post
202! Yes!

j,
Lexicon PCM-42 and Korg SD-2000 at the bottom of that photo too.
Old 15th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Lexicon PCM-42 and Korg SD-2000 at the bottom of that photo too.
Indeed. Lovely boxes, both of them. I’m not a mega-fan of the AD100 btw, but I like having it around, it’s almost as portable as a pedal

j,
Old 15th August 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
Going out on a limb here - Dynachord in the future?
Probably not, just due to the lack of availability of Dynacords here in the US.

The upcoming BBD mode (originally called RackBBD, but now called BBDuck since we added ducking) is largely based on the Ibanez AD-150, with some input from the Roland DC-10. The AD-150 and DC-10 both have variable antialiasing filters, that change frequency according to the BBD clock rate. This results in delays that are super bright for short delays, and nice and dark for longer delays. The ERA controls how dark things get at the longest delay, with the Past era mapping closely to the AD-150, and Present and Future eras getting much brighter.

The Ibanez AD-202 in that pile has modulation, but I don't like the modulation in that unit. It has some weird slewing characteristics, which happens when you linearly modulate the BBD clock. If your clock circuit is exponentially modulated, you can get MUCH better BBD behavior, with a sine wave LFO sounding like sine wave modulation in the BBD output.

The digital delays in the pile are for a future update. Don is being REALLY picky about getting the sound of the PCM42 input limiter "just right," so I need to keep working on that.
Old 15th August 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wald View Post
No, it is *exactly* as it should be
That was an iPhone photo of my laptop screen. The real colors of that GUI were NOT GREAT.
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
That was an iPhone photo of my laptop screen. The real colors of that GUI were NOT GREAT.
Hehe, fair enough

But, I am putting in a strong vote for red (!)
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
The digital delays in the pile are for a future update. Don is being REALLY picky about getting the sound of the PCM42 input limiter "just right," so I need to keep working on that.
I'll be patient on this piece then, but good for Don! Someone's gotta keep these hippie developers in check.
Old 16th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Probably not, just due to the lack of availability of Dynacords here in the US.

The upcoming BBD mode (originally called RackBBD, but now called BBDuck since we added ducking) is largely based on the Ibanez AD-150, with some input from the Roland DC-10. The AD-150 and DC-10 both have variable antialiasing filters, that change frequency according to the BBD clock rate. This results in delays that are super bright for short delays, and nice and dark for longer delays. The ERA controls how dark things get at the longest delay, with the Past era mapping closely to the AD-150, and Present and Future eras getting much brighter.

The Ibanez AD-202 in that pile has modulation, but I don't like the modulation in that unit. It has some weird slewing characteristics, which happens when you linearly modulate the BBD clock. If your clock circuit is exponentially modulated, you can get MUCH better BBD behavior, with a sine wave LFO sounding like sine wave modulation in the BBD output.

I can't overstate how excellent investment in Valhalla plugs is. Each one I've bought felt immediately satisfying and like a great deal, and each one has had surprising, awesome updates that often become my favorite algorithms.

Thanks Sean, looking forward to these next versions. And glad to hear you're going for that input limiter too. It's a cool texture to have, especially for rock or lofi stuff, and missing from every other emulator.
Old 16th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
I can't overstate how excellent investment in Valhalla plugs is. Each one I've bought felt immediately satisfying and like a great deal, and each one has had surprising, awesome updates that often become my favorite algorithms.

Thanks Sean, looking forward to these next versions. And glad to hear you're going for that input limiter too. It's a cool texture to have, especially for rock or lofi stuff, and missing from every other emulator.
Input limiter lacking on PSP 42?
Old 16th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
Input limiter lacking on PSP 42?
It seems that there is.
Attached Thumbnails
ValhallaDelay. Available Today. .-psp-42-dynamics.jpg  
Old 16th August 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgos View Post
It seems that there is.
Not sure what that picture is showing us. The input limiter on the PCM-42 is VERY subtle when the gain is set to a "normal" level. The sound that people are looking for comes when you crank the input gains, and/or when you drive the inputs hard with a lot of external gain.
Old 16th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Not sure what that picture is showing us. The input limiter on the PCM-42 is VERY subtle when the gain is set to a "normal" level. The sound that people are looking for comes when you crank the input gains, and/or when you drive the inputs hard with a lot of external gain.
Exactly. When input level is at a "normal" level, as in the picture below, compression is very subtle. When it is cranked all the way up (like in the previous picture) it becomes more obvious.
Attached Thumbnails
ValhallaDelay. Available Today. .-psp42-input-middle.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgos View Post
It seems that there is.
Yes they have something going on, but it's not the 42 input limiter. It doesn't break up or have a hard knee feel. The real one goes from subtle to almost nasty clipping when hit with enough gain.

Even on PSP's product description they say they're using a tape saturation simulation based on an existing algorithm from their mastering lineup (and your plot shows a relatively soft knee).
Old 1 week ago
ValhallaDSP

A very nice review of ValhallaDelay just went live hear at Gearslutz:

ValhallaDSP ValhallaDelay

Thanks to Diogo C for reviewing this!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search