The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ValhallaDelay. Available Today. $50.
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Addict

Going out on a limb here - Dynachord in the future?
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Ducking.
Thanks for listening.
Will buy this soon.
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor View Post
202! Yes!

j,
Lexicon PCM-42 and Korg SD-2000 at the bottom of that photo too.
Old 15th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Lexicon PCM-42 and Korg SD-2000 at the bottom of that photo too.
Indeed. Lovely boxes, both of them. I’m not a mega-fan of the AD100 btw, but I like having it around, it’s almost as portable as a pedal

j,
Old 15th August 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
Going out on a limb here - Dynachord in the future?
Probably not, just due to the lack of availability of Dynacords here in the US.

The upcoming BBD mode (originally called RackBBD, but now called BBDuck since we added ducking) is largely based on the Ibanez AD-150, with some input from the Roland DC-10. The AD-150 and DC-10 both have variable antialiasing filters, that change frequency according to the BBD clock rate. This results in delays that are super bright for short delays, and nice and dark for longer delays. The ERA controls how dark things get at the longest delay, with the Past era mapping closely to the AD-150, and Present and Future eras getting much brighter.

The Ibanez AD-202 in that pile has modulation, but I don't like the modulation in that unit. It has some weird slewing characteristics, which happens when you linearly modulate the BBD clock. If your clock circuit is exponentially modulated, you can get MUCH better BBD behavior, with a sine wave LFO sounding like sine wave modulation in the BBD output.

The digital delays in the pile are for a future update. Don is being REALLY picky about getting the sound of the PCM42 input limiter "just right," so I need to keep working on that.
Old 15th August 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wald View Post
No, it is *exactly* as it should be
That was an iPhone photo of my laptop screen. The real colors of that GUI were NOT GREAT.
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
That was an iPhone photo of my laptop screen. The real colors of that GUI were NOT GREAT.
Hehe, fair enough

But, I am putting in a strong vote for red (!)
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
The digital delays in the pile are for a future update. Don is being REALLY picky about getting the sound of the PCM42 input limiter "just right," so I need to keep working on that.
I'll be patient on this piece then, but good for Don! Someone's gotta keep these hippie developers in check.
Old 16th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Probably not, just due to the lack of availability of Dynacords here in the US.

The upcoming BBD mode (originally called RackBBD, but now called BBDuck since we added ducking) is largely based on the Ibanez AD-150, with some input from the Roland DC-10. The AD-150 and DC-10 both have variable antialiasing filters, that change frequency according to the BBD clock rate. This results in delays that are super bright for short delays, and nice and dark for longer delays. The ERA controls how dark things get at the longest delay, with the Past era mapping closely to the AD-150, and Present and Future eras getting much brighter.

The Ibanez AD-202 in that pile has modulation, but I don't like the modulation in that unit. It has some weird slewing characteristics, which happens when you linearly modulate the BBD clock. If your clock circuit is exponentially modulated, you can get MUCH better BBD behavior, with a sine wave LFO sounding like sine wave modulation in the BBD output.

I can't overstate how excellent investment in Valhalla plugs is. Each one I've bought felt immediately satisfying and like a great deal, and each one has had surprising, awesome updates that often become my favorite algorithms.

Thanks Sean, looking forward to these next versions. And glad to hear you're going for that input limiter too. It's a cool texture to have, especially for rock or lofi stuff, and missing from every other emulator.
Old 16th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
I can't overstate how excellent investment in Valhalla plugs is. Each one I've bought felt immediately satisfying and like a great deal, and each one has had surprising, awesome updates that often become my favorite algorithms.

Thanks Sean, looking forward to these next versions. And glad to hear you're going for that input limiter too. It's a cool texture to have, especially for rock or lofi stuff, and missing from every other emulator.
Input limiter lacking on PSP 42?
Old 16th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
Input limiter lacking on PSP 42?
It seems that there is.
Attached Thumbnails
ValhallaDelay. Available Today. .-psp-42-dynamics.jpg  
Old 16th August 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgos View Post
It seems that there is.
Not sure what that picture is showing us. The input limiter on the PCM-42 is VERY subtle when the gain is set to a "normal" level. The sound that people are looking for comes when you crank the input gains, and/or when you drive the inputs hard with a lot of external gain.
Old 16th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Not sure what that picture is showing us. The input limiter on the PCM-42 is VERY subtle when the gain is set to a "normal" level. The sound that people are looking for comes when you crank the input gains, and/or when you drive the inputs hard with a lot of external gain.
Exactly. When input level is at a "normal" level, as in the picture below, compression is very subtle. When it is cranked all the way up (like in the previous picture) it becomes more obvious.
Attached Thumbnails
ValhallaDelay. Available Today. .-psp42-input-middle.jpg  
Old 27th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgos View Post
It seems that there is.
Yes they have something going on, but it's not the 42 input limiter. It doesn't break up or have a hard knee feel. The real one goes from subtle to almost nasty clipping when hit with enough gain.

Even on PSP's product description they say they're using a tape saturation simulation based on an existing algorithm from their mastering lineup (and your plot shows a relatively soft knee).
Old 11th September 2019
ValhallaDSP

A very nice review of ValhallaDelay just went live hear at Gearslutz:

ValhallaDSP ValhallaDelay

Thanks to Diogo C for reviewing this!
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibralux View Post
Am I the only one not feeling this delay? As much as I love Valhalla (I own Vintage Verb and Plate) and as much as I wanted
to like it, it sounds 2D and artificial to me. I much prefer Echoboy. I do love the creative presets which are often really
impressive, but the tape emulation sound silly compared to things like Outer Space by Audio Thing.
I know you went on to buy it, but I agree.

I'm not knocking it as a 'FX' box, it's clearly one of the better delays to use for fun/ease of use and sounds exciting/interesting without sounding harsh or whatever...

...but on many of the modes where it tries to get 'characterful' (i.e analog like) it just comes off as hokey/fake/plastic. Much like I hear with soft-synths vs real analog.

I've got a ton of delays and will use various ones when I need some "FX" for a specific part (inc timeless, replika xt etc) but for my main MIX delay(s) I still find Echoboy just nails it everytime.

I have to say I found the same with Valhalla verbs vs my go-tos (Relab 480, Eventide Ultraverb) the same thing applies to the verbs as to this delay, it's probably imperceptible to most but to me the v-delay/verbs both have this cheap sound that is unconvincing when used overall on a mix (as sends from many sources). As track inserts for effect, fine, like anything is... but I can't rely on them for my mix verb/delay as they do sound pasted on.

The verbs sound grainy and low rent (like cheap guitar boxes from the 80s) vs the LX480/Eventide/Exponential etc, and now, this delay at first appealing to ears in an ear candy way, soon pales next to Echoboy and even Replika XT as it doesn't have the DEPTH or character of echoboy that is just there without sounding forced or stuck on. Echoboy is better with the source and in the mix, Replika isn't quite so good but high quality for colder stuff, but V-delay sounds kinda cheap doing either type. The only high quality stuff I get from it, that compares, is with the more effecty type delays such as timeless (which I don't use that much anyway for that reason).

I can't see me ever using this as a go-to main mix delay as it just sounds TOO digital somehow, too 2-D, and the attempt at making it sound characterful/tapey just sounds like a caricature.

I'll also use the EchoesT7E (audiority) for some special 'goto' delay, and Eventide H3000 factory plug for esoteric stuff, plus their ultradelay... all of those are, imo, in a totally different league to Valhalla delay which is style over substance for me (by style I mean the easy GUI the cool presets the nice 'instant' results that fool the ear).

I also noticed the difference between eventide's black-hole vs Valhalla's Shimmer, again and again the V-stuff has an instant 'easy' appeal but just lets me down in a full mix once I've put it up against the big name stuff.

Clearly Sean can do a great coding job and knows his stuff, but I feel like on the sonics he's only managing to emulate them from a scientific angle then is pasting on 'character' in a much more haphazard way, be it grain/mud in the verbs or hokey noise/modulation in the delays.

I know from my own in-depth testing that I can do the same mix using my usual go-tos mentioned above, then do it again with Valhalla, and the Valhalla mix will sound flatter, less dimensional, less rich (yet sometimes more muddy!), less defined, less punchy, less "analog" and less professional. If you don't compare it like this yourself and just buy/stick to V stuff you'll probably never even realise...

Just my take!
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear
Interesting thoughts.

I think that what you are saying are the qualities I like about it. I am no means a reverb expert. I barely use verbs beyond 10% in the mix, and if a listener is focusing on that, I must have made a horrible song. With delay FX, I tend to use as spot FX, they come in and out and I have not had one issue, I'm quite impressed.

I have never saw this as a go to delay. I use my DAW clean delay for that. I don't like FX delays for like hass, or slap backs, unless it's Cooper Time Cube. This is an effecty delay, for candy. And for that, compared to other delays I use, I think it's fantastic.

Overall though, I aint got time to get bogged down into the forensic details of 10% reverb/delay over a full song.
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

This plugin is on about 100% of my mixes, in good company with Plate and Vintage Verb
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 View Post
Just my take!
Indeed, and out of alignment from nearly everyone else. I don't say it often, since so much of audio is in the ear of the beholder, but much of that pontification is just utter nonsense. But this is the 2nd time in two days that I came across an arrogant, misinformed, self-aggrandizing post from that same username. Just my take.
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

It was a pretty long take, but I don't see why it's not valid. Sean made an excellent delay, but it's not going to be for everyone. I agree that the colorful "vintage-ness" of it just doesn't quite work for me. I tried it and decided there were other color delays that I like better. Many other folks seem to love it, and that's great. Just like it's great we have a variety of options to choose from these days.
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave View Post
It was a pretty long take, but I don't see why it's not valid. Sean made an excellent delay, but it's not going to be for everyone. I agree that the colorful "vintage-ness" of it just doesn't quite work for me. I tried it and decided there were other color delays that I like better. Many other folks seem to love it, and that's great. Just like it's great we have a variety of options to choose from these days.
It sounds "cheap?" "Pales" in comparison next to EchoBoy? Sorry, but that's a double-dose of instant invalidation, and I didn't bother to read to the end for the other nuggets it may have contained. I agree 100% that Valhalla is not everyone's cup of tea, and even when it IS your cup of tea sometimes you want a beer, so there is no perfect delay, nor reverb, nor modulation fx, etc. for every session. But the overly-dramatic verbiage in that "review" yanks away any credibility from the opinions expressed.

Or do you agree that it sounds cheap, and "pales" in comparison to EchoBoy? If you do, I'll stand corrected about other people agreeing with his/her description, but I happen to think it's absurd and melodramatic for the sake of extremism/attention-seeking.
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
but I happen to think it's absurd and melodramatic for the sake of extremism/attention-seeking.
The internet is so jam pack filled with hyperbole I'm probably a little too desensitized to it at this point. Not that this is a good thing!
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Addict

Don't disrespect Echoboy lol. That's an awesome plugin.
Old 5th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 View Post
...but on many of the modes where it tries to get 'characterful' (i.e analog like) it just comes off as hokey/fake/plastic. Much like I hear with soft-synths vs real analog.
Have you actually used a RE201 or a RE301? Or a Memory Man? This is by far the most convincing sounding ITB version of these fantastically usable gorgeous instruments I’ve ever heard. Miles ahead of Echoboy, miles ahead of Replika. You might not enjoy the particular sound of those lower fidelity delays, but this plugin absolutely nails it. In fact, I don’t bother bringing my RE201 back from the tracking room for mixes anymore, the ValhallaDelay is that convincing.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, easily prefer Valhalla to echboy, replika, repeater and all of UAD emulations. It’s the only ITB delay that I enjoy using as much as my prized collection of analog and vintage digital delays.
Old 5th October 2019
Gear Guru

I like the Valhalla delay a lot. I still find myself going to EchoFarm mostly though for the meat and potatoes stuff. For the esoteric wild stuff - Valhalla for sure. EchoBoy getting very little use these days. Sometimes for panning / stereo delays.
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear
Same as the majority here. Valhalla has become my go-to for colorful delay tasks. I still might use some other delays on occasion (U-he's ColourCopy, Audio Thing's OuterSpace, Fuse's BBD-500) but Valhalla has been the one I've been reaching for first, and in the same types of use-cases where that used to be Echoboy. Doesn't mean Echoboy is suddenly bad, but rather just that Valhalla has kicked it up a gear. At least as far as my ears are concerned. I compared the Valhalla BBD/Present mode against my DM-2w and the two were insanely close. Great stuff!
Old 6th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Same as the majority here. Valhalla has become my go-to for colorful delay tasks. I still might use some other delays on occasion (U-he's ColourCopy, Audio Thing's OuterSpace, Fuse's BBD-500) but Valhalla has been the one I've been reaching for first, and in the same types of use-cases where that used to be Echoboy. Doesn't mean Echoboy is suddenly bad, but rather just that Valhalla has kicked it up a gear. At least as far as my ears are concerned. I compared the Valhalla BBD/Present mode against my DM-2w and the two were insanely close. Great stuff!
Truth is we have loads of great delays at our disposal now. Imagine if we had to get the hardware.
Old 6th October 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Truth is we have loads of great delays at our disposal now. Imagine if we had to get the hardware.
I can imagine that.

Old 6th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I can imagine that.

Very nice, especially that H3000 bottom right, just need to get the new H9000 now
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search