Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
Well , looks like this hardware unit is a digital delay from a past era

What about :

-mode :digital
-era :past

Thanks, was hoping for something a little bit more specific from folks familiar with those units.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

I dont understand these people who want every type of hw delay released to be included in this plugin, like this is going to make your music better or something. If you cant achieve pro sounding results with this delay, than you are in wrong business for sure.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Sean has been known to add new models to his plugins and mentioned it himself. People are just offering suggestions.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI View Post
I dont understand these people who want every type of hw delay released to be included in this plugin, like this is going to make your music better or something. If you cant achieve pro sounding results with this delay, than you are in wrong business for sure.
I don't recall saying "this plugin better perfectly emulate these hardware units or it's totally useless." No, I simply asked if anyone familiar with those boxes knows how to dial in similar settings. I'm perfectly aware that it can achieve "pro sounds." I just asked for some advice about some very particular sounds.

Sean is a nerd for this stuff. Go to the ValhallaDSP site and read some old blog entries he's written about vintage gear. There's nothing wrong with being interested in specific sounds. Some of my favorite musicians only use vintage gear. Some of my favorite musicians don't care about gear and will make stuff on anything. Both camps are equally great. Both equally valid in their approaches. That's all it is, just different approaches.
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave View Post
I don't recall saying "this plugin better perfectly emulate these hardware units or it's totally useless." No, I simply asked if anyone familiar with those boxes knows how to dial in similar settings. I'm perfectly aware that it can achieve "pro sounds." I just asked for some advice about some very particular sounds.

Sean is a nerd for this stuff. Go to the ValhallaDSP site and read some old blog entries he's written about vintage gear. There's nothing wrong with being interested in specific sounds. Some of my favorite musicians only use vintage gear. Some of my favorite musicians don't care about gear and will make stuff on anything. Both camps are equally great. Both equally valid in their approaches. That's all it is, just different approaches.
I liked both of your replies, because I like everything

...except for the last season of Game Of Thrones

Last edited by Rentzen; 21st May 2019 at 05:54 PM..
Old 21st May 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Any advice for settings emulating quirky early digital delay units like this one?

https://www.musictech.net/reviews/st...-digital-bd80/
I've seen a TON of old digital delay units in the stores around here. Most of which I'm not going to model, for pure economic reasons. If you want the sound of some rackmount digital delay from the early 80s, and you can buy the hardware for $75, just buy the hardware, and get THAT exact sound.

Having said that, I've never seen a BEL Digital delay before. For that matter, I haven't heard of them until just now. From the info I can find online, the BEL units seem like they are fairly high quality.

The West Coast of the United States is pretty far removed from the UK and Europe. I know that some well regarded delays, such as the AMS delays, are fairly common on the other side of the Atlantic, but they are pretty much unobtanium here. The BEL delay probably falls into that category for me - it isn't going to show up in any local stores, and the Reverb listings are all from the UK or Europe.

If you can turn up any useful info on the BEL stuff, that could help me with suggestions for dialing in an approximation of the sound. It will only be an approximation, though, as odds are good that there are particular quirks of the hardware that my current Digital mode doesn't capture.

Nowadays, a digital delay can be amazingly clean at a low cost, as RAM and high quality codecs are cheap. In the 80s, RAM was expensive, high quality codecs were non-existent, and the off-the-shelf A/D and D/A convertors were expensive and not all that great. In order to work around these limitations, old digital delays used a variety of techniques to improve the sound quality:

- "Floating point" convertors. This was a technique found mostly on higher end digital delays, such as older Lexicon and AMS units. A/D and D/A convertors with a relatively small number of bits (10 or 12 bits) were used, with some additional circuitry that used a few extra bits to create instant jumps in the gain level. This can be viewed as a floating point number, with a 10/12-bit mantissa, and 2 or 3 bits of exponent. The results had the dynamic range of a 16-bit codec, but with more grungy quantization noise at the higher amplitude parts of the waveform.

- Companders. This was a similar approach to the floating point technique, as a method of getting more dynamic range out of lower bit resolution convertors. The input signal was compressed, A/D converted, delayed, D/A converted, and expanded to restore the original dynamic range. The results are a signal that decays away to relative silence, but can be REALLY grungy for louder inputs. My first digital delay, a Peavey DEP800, had 8-bit convertors inside of a compander. It sounded pretty clean, expect for palm muting on guitar, where you could hear some frizz as the signal decayed away. Most lower cost older digital delays used the ubiquitous NE570 as a compander, with 8, 10 or 12 bits of resolution. The Eventide H910 used dbx cards for compansion.

- Steep lowpass filters + lower sampling rates to extend the delay time. A lot of older delays had push buttons or rotary switches to get longer delay times. These buttons/switches would route the signal through different antialiasing filters, and would change the sampling rate. An example of this would be the PCM42, which used elliptical filters for its antialiasing filters. The PCM42 normally had a 16 kHz bandwidth. Press the 2X button, and the bandwidth dropped to 8 kHz.

- Analog signal processing on the input. A/D convertors don't like to have signals sent into them that are greater than their designed maximum amplitudes. They will freak out. To avoid this, digital delays used various analog techniques to keep the input within various bounds. This could be as simple as a few diodes to clip the input, or as complex as the optoisolator-based limiter used in the PCM42. The results added distortion, compression, and other sorts of "mojo" to the signal.

The Digital mode in ValhallaDelay uses the following combination of the above:

- Floating point convertors, with the "mantissa" size determined by the Age knob. At Age of 0%, this is essentially transparent. Turn up the Age, and you get smaller and smaller mantissa sizes, for grungier sounds that retain the original input signal dynamics. Up to a point. Age at 100% is pretty darn quantized. I based my floating point convertors on the AMS RMX16 - for some reason, there are a fair number of AMS reverbs around here, but no AMS delays. I used a version of this code in some of the VintageVerb modes, but with fixed mantissa sizes.

- Variable bandwidth, determined by the ERA setting. Past ERA is 8 kHz, Preset is 15 kHz, Future is 20 kHz. I'm using Chebyshev filters, in case anyone cares.

- Soft clipping at the input, with Drive determining the input/output gain of the entire delay. Most of the ValhallaDelay models share this soft clipping/saturation code, with different amounts of "softness" depending on the MODE and ERA settings.

Hopefully this info helps to dial in the sound you are looking for.
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Thank you Sean, this is what I was looking for when I asked! I feel like we've gotten some great details about the tape and BBD modes, but these were the kinds of things I was curious about in the digital mode.

My understanding (which is admittedly very limited on this in particular) is that the BEL delay I referenced is often referred to as the poor man's AMS DMX 1580. I'm guessing the floating point converters on the RMX 16 are probably similar to the DMX 1580, so that part of the signal is probably in the ballpark.

In any event I learned quite a bit from your comment and always appreciate the wealth of knowledge you put into these products!
Old 21st May 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Thank you Sean, this is what I was looking for when I asked! I feel like we've gotten some great details about the tape and BBD modes, but these were the kinds of things I was curious about in the digital mode.
Feel free to ask questions about any of the modes! This goes for everyone here at Gearslutz. I've been resting a bit after the release of ValhallaDelay, so I haven't been blogging as much as I thought I would, but I have PLENTY to say about the design/philosophy/tips&tricks/what-have-you of ValhallaDelay.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

What is funny, is that the VD reverbs work so well, too. I just had a project, where I used finger snap as the main rhytmical element.
(Used great LDLC clap pack de luxe).

I tried different reverbs, including Fog convolver, IRs, VRoom, VVV, Lexicon LPX, PSP 2445, Waves chambers.

Finally tried using delay+reverb combinations, but the best result in this case I got by using one of the VD ready-made-preset in the ”reverbs” -section.
Old 22nd May 2019
Here for the gear

Sean, after using the pitch mode, I have to request that your next plugin be a harmonizer. It would be amazing.
Old 22nd May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
OK, I'm going to geek out for a minute here. Apologies in advance...

The sound you are talking about is partly due to tape saturation, but with your RE-501 there is something else going on. It's the compander that is in both BBD analog delays and your Roland RE-501. And I LOVE the sound that you are talking about!!!

The Tape and HiFi modes in ValhallaDelay are based on "standard" tape delays, without noise reduction. The RE-201, RE-301 and EP-3 (my main touchstones for the tape modes) don't have any compander code. These will exhibit some of the natural nonlinear "ducking" that you are talking about, due to tape saturation. But they won't duck as much as your RE-501 would*.

The BBD mode is based on hardware BBDs, and has a compander in there. Try running your signal through the BBD Mode, with Era set to Future, and turn up the Drive to a high level. This will cause the compander to really kick in, getting that natural ducking sound to a much bigger degree than what you hear in most tape echoes.

In general, turning up the Drive in ValhallaDelay past noon can cause this sort of "natural ducking" to kick in. I love this sort of organic behavior, that just comes out of the weird nonlinear physics of analog delays.

Here's a preset that shows the "natural ducking" of overdriving a compander input, in a somewhat exaggerated manner:

<ValhallaDelay pluginVersion="1.0.4v4" presetName="BBD-DuckingDrive" Mix="0.5" DelayStyle="0" DelayLSync="0.25" DelayLNote="0.20000000298023223877" DelayL_Ms="0.30000001192092895508" DelayRSync="0.25" DelayRNote="0.20000000298023223877" DelayR_Ms="0.5" DelaySpread="0.5" DelaySpacing="0.5" DelayRatio="0.61414140462875366211" RepeatSwell="1" TapA="1" TapB="1" TapC="1" TapD="1" Feedback="0.38999998569488525391" Width="1" DriveIn="0.71600002050399780273" Age="0.50800001621246337891" Diffusion="0" DiffSize="1" LowCut="0" HighCut="1" ModRate="0.27383410930633544922" ModDepth="0.5" Wow="0.5" Flutter="0.5" FreqShift="0.5" FreqDetune="0.57999998331069946289" PitchShift="0.5" PitchDetune="0.54500001668930053711" Mode="0.125" Era="1" Reserved1="0" Reserved2="0" Reserved3="0" Reserved4="0"/>

Try tweaking the Drive control until you get the signal to cut out with transients. It doesn't really cut out - the delay signal gets stronger as the input is getting louder, which results in the feedback being "dominated" by the new input. The result is that the feedback sounds like it is being controlled by the signal dynamics!.
Thank You for this preset :-)
I’ve used it as a starting point for my goto guitardelay
and it really does a lot of what my BBD pedals do.
great work on a thing that gets overlooked by many
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

@ Sean
Setting diffussion amount to a certain percentage , but diffusion size to 0 % always introduces some smearing ,
Is this Intended ?
Old 23rd May 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
@ Sean
Setting diffussion amount to a certain percentage , but diffusion size to 0 % always introduces some smearing ,
Is this Intended ?
Yes.
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lespaul View Post
Sean, after using the pitch mode, I have to request that your next plugin be a harmonizer. It would be amazing.
Great idea!
Old 24th May 2019
Deleted 691ca21
Clean Tape emulation preset, adjust to taste.

<ValhallaDelay pluginVersion="1.0.6" presetName="Clean Tape" Mix="1" DelayStyle="0" DelayLSync="0.25" DelayLNote="0.20000000298023223877" DelayL_Ms="0" DelayRSync="0.25" DelayRNote="0.20000000298023223877" DelayR_Ms="0.30000001192092895508" DelaySpread="0.5" DelaySpacing="0.5" DelayRatio="0.61414140462875366211" RepeatSwell="1" TapA="1" TapB="1" TapC="1" TapD="1" Feedback="0" Width="1" DriveIn="0" Age="0" Diffusion="0" DiffSize="1" LowCut="0" HighCut="1" ModRate="0.27383410930633544922" ModDepth="0.5" Wow="0" Flutter="0" FreqShift="0.5" FreqDetune="0.57999998331069946289" PitchShift="0.5" PitchDetune="0.5" Mode="0.041666667908430099487" Era="1" Reserved1="0" Reserved2="0" Reserved3="0" Reserved4="0"/>
Old 25th May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lespaul View Post
That would be superb! I'll third that motion.
Old 29th May 2019
Here for the gear

Please share the CLA Ursa Space Station Emulation preset !
Old 29th May 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcay View Post
Please share the CLA Ursa Space Station Emulation preset !
Not sure what a CLA is...?
Old 29th May 2019
Here for the gear

chris lord alge setting

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...lugin-ursa.jpg
Old 29th May 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcay View Post
ValhallaDelay can do some Space Station inspired sounds, in that it can have multiple modulated feedback taps that create a pseudo-reverb that is unstable. It isn't based on a Space Station, though, and can't dial in specific Space Station presets. It's more "impressionistic."
Old 30th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
It's more "impressionistic."
The Monet of delays.
Old 30th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
The Monet of delays.
Take my Monet.
Old 4th June 2019
Here for the gear

No aliasing???

I went into the weeds today looking at aliasing and sine tones. I often work with acoustic sources with lots of overtones that extend beyond 20k and I also really like distortion. I believe that especially using distortion creatively or heavy-handedly aliasing really is a problem. So I ran some high sine tones and looked at the magnitude of aliasing in the distortion plugins I use such as Decapitator, Ableton Pedal and Overdrive, some Airwindows ones, Serum's built-in fx and so on. Results: various amounts of aliasing as expected. I also tried Cytomic's Scream which has a very well thought-out and potentially very cpu-hungry oversampling section. Very nice sounding and clean but quite cpu intensive.

It occured to me somehow to try ValhallaDelay's built-in drive and there's NO ALIASING WHATSOEVER. I know the science of it only superficially and I'm not a developer so I'm really puzzled by this. Why is it that ValhallaDelay is a cleaner distortion plugin than most of my distortion plugins?

So my questions to @ seancostello :
1. How?
2. What do you think about aliasing as an issue?
3. Why don't developers take care of it?
4. Could you see yourself making a dedicated distortion plugin sometime in the future?
Old 4th June 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundophiliac View Post
So my questions to @ seancostello :
1. How?
It's a secret!

In all seriousness, the drive code of ValhallaDelay is one of those times where I thought I discovered something that everyone else is using. Apparently I was wrong about that. It was something I figured out on a long walk, but that I had been trying to figure out since 2004 or so.

One other thing worth noting about ValhallaDelay: Lots of the Mode/Era combinations are dark. Not a ton of high frequencies allowed in there. This helps with aliasing - if no high frequencies can come into the algorithm, they can't alias. This is sort of "cheating," but shaping the frequencies that go into a distortion algorithm is part of voicing a good sounding distortion. A Big Muff, for example, has a LOT of control over how the high frequencies get distorted.

Quote:
2. What do you think about aliasing as an issue?
I tend to base my analysis of sound by ear. If I don't notice audible aliasing, it doesn't bug me.

That being said, I'm generally not a fan of audible aliasing. A little bit of foldover at the highest frequencies isn't a big deal, but I don't like the bit-crushing sound unless I'm crushing those bits. The BBD mode in ValhallaDelay doesn't model the aliasing that I can hear in my DM-2W, as that isn't a sound I like.

I've been getting some BBD hardware units post-Delay launch, and I can tell that I'll need to use some more aggressive clipping in any future BBD models. BBD distortion can get UGLY, and aliasing is often a part of that, even in the hardware.

Quote:
3. Why don't developers take care of it?
I think most developers do take care of it nowadays. Just different approaches. Having different oversampling options puts the CPU vs aliasing tradeoff decisions in the hands of the end users. I wanted to have ValhallaDelay be as option/choice free as possible, and just make the "right" decision. More of the Apple model, versus the Windows model.

Quote:
4. Could you see yourself making a dedicated distortion plugin sometime in the future?
Absolutely! I love distortion and fuzz pedals, and I've been thinking about the audio ramifications of nonlinearities a TON lately.

Anyway, I just wanted to say THANK YOU for reporting on your aliasing findings! I didn't do much in the way of aliasing checking with ValhallaDelay - I just trusted the sound - but it is interesting to hear about what you found!

Last edited by seancostello; 5th June 2019 at 12:16 AM..
Old 6th June 2019
ValhallaDSP

ValhallaDelay 1.1.2 Beta available in user accounts

Hey everyone,

The 1.1.2 beta of ValhallaDelay is available in user accounts for everyone that owns ValhallaDelay. The changes:
  • Fixed bug where some PT users would experience AAE 9173 error when adding the plugin to a project with the transport running (thanks to Dan Gillespie of Newfangled Audio for the suggestion that fixed the bug!).
  • Lower noise floor with feedback values <100%.

A brief explanation of the noise floor: ValhallaDelay was designed to have analog-style behavior. That means, when the feedback is above 100%, the plugin will eventually self-oscillate. In order to have that self oscillation sound decent, there has to be noise in there. Otherwise, the self oscillation will sound really really BAD. Trust me on this one.

However, I did some thinking on a long walk, and realized that the noise gain could be MUCH lower if the delay isn't self oscillating. And the self oscillation won't happen at all with feedback gains under 100%. So I shaped the noise level in the algorithm according to the following graph:

The blue line represents the value of the FEEDBACK slider, from 0% to 200%. The orange line shows the noise gain. At feedback values below 100%, the noise gain is super tiny. For feedback values between 100% and 150%, the noise gain ramps up to meet the previous noise gain values. Above 150%, the noise gain tracks the feedback.

This new noise gain behavior was designed to reduce noise for "delay"-style delays, while keeping self-oscillation behavior the same. So your oscillation presets should sound the same. For non-oscillating presets, we've seen an improvement of at least 45 dB in the noise floor. It was a pretty small noise floor before (like, -103 dB at feedback values of 90%), but the noise floor is now essentially inaudible, unless you are monitoring at Saturn V volume levels.

The Age control will still add noise and "noisiness" to the various modes. So keep Age to 0% if low noise is your top priority. And the Tape mode is still noisy, as that noise is essential to the texture of the feedback echoes. If you want a less noisy tape mode, use HiFi - that's why HiFi is there!

Anyway, please check this out, and send us a support request if you run into any issues (https://valhalladsp.com/support-request/). Assuming that the beta works for people, I will make the 1.1.2 release of ValhallaDelay the "official" release early next week.

Last edited by seancostello; 6th June 2019 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: thanked Dan Gillespie
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

Lovely. Thanks to Dan as well. Nice pool of love there.
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

Hi Sean,

One request- it would be helpful to have the plugin version reflected in the filename.

I have 3 versions of the plugin all called ValhallaDelayOSX.pkg
I have a manual process where I put each version in a folder with the version number as the filename, but it would be preferable to have it reflected in the download (so ValhallaDelayOSX1_1_2b.pkg in the above example).
Old 6th June 2019
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
I based my floating point convertors on the AMS RMX16
I haven't used one in years...WOW. I love the VVV. When it works it works.
So is this new delay based off the delay unit they made or just the convertor sound?

Thanks, Marc
Old 6th June 2019
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I haven't used one in years...WOW. I love the VVV. When it works it works.
So is this new delay based off the delay unit they made or just the convertor sound?
I based the Digital Mode convertor sound off the AMS RMX16. We couldn't find an AMS DMX-1580s within an 800 mile radius. So the RMX16 had to do. I leveraged this work from some of the analysis work Don Gunn and I did for VintageVerb updates in 2013. The bit depth of the convertors was fixed in VintageVerb, but is variable in the ValhallaDelay Digital mode by using the Age control.
Old 13th June 2019
ValhallaDSP

InstaAmbient™ With ValhallaDelay

I was messing around with the Moog Grandmother yesterday, trying to come up with a decent hang drum emulation. Not sure that I got there, but I got a sound that I liked:

The final mix, as heard above, has 4 instances of ValhallaDelay in it. One insert, and 3 sends.

The dry sound of the Grandmother isn't all that dry, as it uses the built-in spring reverb, both as a reverb and as an FM source for VCO2:

I've got the arpeggiator in the Grandmother randomly cycling through held notes that roughly correspond to a hang drum.

I have an insert of ValhallaDelay on this track, using the Tape Mode for a dotted eighth delay:

The ValhallaDelay preset used:

<ValhallaDelay pluginVersion="1.1.2" presetName="TapeDottedEighth" Mix="0.37200000882148742676" DelayStyle="0" DelayLSync="0.75" DelayLNote="0.34799998998641967773" DelayL_Ms="0.45918372273445129395" DelayRSync="0.25" DelayRNote="0.20000000298023223877" DelayR_Ms="0.30000001192092895508" DelaySpread="0.47200000286102294922" DelaySpacing="0.5" DelayRatio="0.61414140462875366211" RepeatSwell="1" TapA="1" TapB="1" TapC="1" TapD="1" Feedback="0.31200000643730163574" Width="1" DriveIn="0" Age="0.5" Diffusion="0" DiffSize="1" LowCut="0" HighCut="1" ModRate="0.27383410930633544922" ModDepth="0.5" Wow="0.5" Flutter="0.5" FreqShift="0.5" FreqDetune="0.57999998331069946289" PitchShift="0.5" PitchDetune="0.5" Mode="0.041666667908430099487" Era="0.3333333432674407959" Reserved1="0.5" Reserved2="1" Reserved3="0" Reserved4="0"/>

This track then feeds 3 sends. The first send is mixed up the loudest in the mix, and is running ValhallaDelay in RevPitch mode, as a 4 bar reverse delay that shifts down an octave:

Here's the preset for the first send:

<ValhallaDelay pluginVersion="1.1.2" presetName="OctaveDownAndReversed" Mix="1" DelayStyle="0" DelayLSync="0.5" DelayLNote="0.81999999284744262695" DelayL_Ms="0.95626819133758544922" DelayRSync="0.25" DelayRNote="0.20000000298023223877" DelayR_Ms="0.30000001192092895508" DelaySpread="0.5" DelaySpacing="0.5" DelayRatio="0.61414140462875366211" RepeatSwell="1" TapA="1" TapB="1" TapC="1" TapD="1" Feedback="0" Width="1" DriveIn="0" Age="0.5" Diffusion="0" DiffSize="1" LowCut="0" HighCut="0.23600000143051147461" ModRate="0.27383410930633544922" ModDepth="0.5" Wow="0.5" Flutter="0.5" FreqShift="0.5" FreqDetune="0.57999998331069946289" PitchShift="0.25" PitchDetune="0.50800001621246337891" Mode="0.2916666567325592041" Era="0.3333333432674407959" Reserved1="0.5" Reserved2="1" Reserved3="0" Reserved4="0"/>

The second send is a reverb (using ValhallaDelay in Pitch mode with a lot of diffusion) that is shifted up 19 semitones. It is fairly quiet in the mix, but Soundcloud really brings up the loudness:

Here's the preset for the second send:

<ValhallaDelay pluginVersion="1.1.2" presetName="HeyNineteenth" Mix="1" DelayStyle="0" DelayLSync="0.25" DelayLNote="0.20000000298023223877" DelayL_Ms="0.82800000905990600586" DelayRSync="0.25" DelayRNote="0.20000000298023223877" DelayR_Ms="0.30000001192092895508" DelaySpread="0.46000000834465026855" DelaySpacing="0.5" DelayRatio="0.61414140462875366211" RepeatSwell="1" TapA="1" TapB="1" TapC="1" TapD="1" Feedback="0" Width="1" DriveIn="0" Age="0.5" Diffusion="0.89999997615814208984" DiffSize="1" LowCut="0" HighCut="1" ModRate="0.27383410930633544922" ModDepth="0.5" Wow="0.5" Flutter="0.5" FreqShift="0.5" FreqDetune="0.57999998331069946289" PitchShift="0.8958333134651184082" PitchDetune="0.5" Mode="0.25" Era="0.3333333432674407959" Reserved1="0.5" Reserved2="1" Reserved3="0" Reserved4="0"/>

The third send is similar to the first send, but is shifted down 2 octaves. It isn't that audible in the mix:

The ValhallaDelay preset used:

<ValhallaDelay pluginVersion="1.1.2" presetName="TheMurk" Mix="1" DelayStyle="0" DelayLSync="0.75" DelayLNote="0.83200001716613769531" DelayL_Ms="0.97725945711135864258" DelayRSync="0.25" DelayRNote="0.20000000298023223877" DelayR_Ms="0.30000001192092895508" DelaySpread="0.5" DelaySpacing="0.5" DelayRatio="0.61414140462875366211" RepeatSwell="1" TapA="1" TapB="1" TapC="1" TapD="1" Feedback="0" Width="1" DriveIn="0" Age="0.5" Diffusion="0" DiffSize="1" LowCut="0" HighCut="0.10400000214576721191" ModRate="0.27383410930633544922" ModDepth="0.5" Wow="0.5" Flutter="0.5" FreqShift="0.5" FreqDetune="0.57999998331069946289" PitchShift="0" PitchDetune="0.50800001621246337891" Mode="0.2916666567325592041" Era="0.3333333432674407959" Reserved1="0.5" Reserved2="1" Reserved3="0" Reserved4="0"/>

Mix this all together, and voila! Ambient The EZ Way!

If you want to try this at home, the first Soundcloud track (HangingWithGrandmother) allows you to download the original file. Put in your DAW, set up 3 sends, copy and paste the above ValhallaDelay presets, and have at it! I used a tempo of 98 bpm, if you want to have everything sync up as in the original mix.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search