The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ValhallaDelay. Available Today. $50.
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notheorem729 View Post
I also wish there was a freeze function. It would be an incredible addition considering some of the pitch/diffusion effects this can already create.

As far as preferring locks over bypass I can see why you would prefer that. Part of the problem is that the sections change between modes so I imagine a lock function on every section could be something some people would complain about. I assume that the EQ section having a bypass would also be problematic because the filters are always in and I'm sure that is somewhat by design and helps with artifacts as well as emulating band limitations.

I think both bypass and lock functions would have some personal preference conflicts among some users. I don't personally use presets almost ever so for me the bypass would make more sense so I can easily A/B settings. Especially since theres no A/B functionality built in. However, I assume that the majority of people probably use presets. Although I think only certain sections being locked while browsing presets makes sense because otherwise why use presets.

Anyway, I would love to see both options plus the freeze function but I'm also happy as is so who knows. I'm anxious to hear Shawn's thought because I am certain he will have much more thoughtful explanations and reasoning on the matter than I do.

I think as far as implementation goes having the section labels be locks like the mix section and having a key command combination to A/B the last two two settings is probably the most logical way.
After posting I have thought about it a little more and it's not bypass functionality I actually want it is more so the ability to easily A/B settings so my above mentioned implementation would be my personal preference.
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

How did I miss this? Amazing delay.
@ BRoySound great presets - bought!

Time to read the whole thread :¬)
Old 30th April 2019
@ seancostello please make a distortion plugin next!
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWZ View Post
FREE Bonus Pak of ValhallaDelay presets

For all MegaBoost owners

Included are presets for the new Ping Pong Style behavior added in 1.0.6.

Bringing the total amount of ValhallaDelay MegaBoost presets to OVER 200.

The presets will be available in your users account (this week) at Synth-Presets.com

This is our way of saying Thanks!
Almost missed this, thanks for the free bonus!

These are some amazing presets, more fun with Valhalla Delay then could be imagined.
Old 1st May 2019
Lives for gear

Bought. Amazing. This rounds out my Valhalla collection!

Quick question- is there a way to tap tempo? If not, may I put that on the request list for next time?

Thank you
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Maniac

Bought without trying. I own all the other Valhalla stuff so I knew this would be great. I would love to see a saturation/distortion plugin from you guys. I seem to never be happy with the ones I have. Particularly one that does a good job with Lo-Fi type stuff.

Anyway off I go to try this on the next set of mix work I do!
Old 5th May 2019
Lives for gear

Coming up to completing my first week using this and it's been great so far. I've already found some situations where this turned what would've been a routine delay job into something quite special.

There is however one thing that niggles me slightly and that's the high frequency EQ control. It goes from 200Hz to 20000Hz, but while the top two octaves ( 5000 - 20000 Hz ) get nearly 75% of the knob's range, the lower five or so octaves are squeezed into the remaining quarter turn.
I think It'd be nicer if the octaves were spread more linearly across the knob's travel.

Fantastic delay though and I do consider myself a little bit of connoisseur of delay plug-ins !
Old 5th May 2019
The last mix I did had 12 VDelay instances...

r,
j,
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
Echoboy, PrimalTap, ReplikaXT, Valhalla DELAY, Relayer, HY-Delay,...Surreal Machines...

they are all very good

(yes, i like echo plugins a lot ...)
Yes. Surreal Machines doesn’t get mentioned often on GS, but their plugins are exceptional.
Old 6th May 2019
Gear Maniac

This has been my main workforce delay since release. Appreciate the hardwork Sean!
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear
Was watching this today and thinking very much of ValhallaDelay:

https://youtu.be/R7dlK46DDU0

At one point he started playing through a Multivox Mx-312 Multi Echo which just sounded great. Anyway, not trying to shill for the channel or anything (don't even own any JHS pedals) but it was a cool video.
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
Yes. Surreal Machines doesn’t get mentioned often on GS, but their plugins are exceptional.
ps and i forgot the AUDIORITY Echoes T7E, which is a great BINSON style echo.
i like quite some of the AUDIORITY plugins!
Old 6th May 2019
Am I the only one not feeling this delay? As much as I love Valhalla (I own Vintage Verb and Plate) and as much as I wanted
to like it, it sounds 2D and artificial to me. I much prefer Echoboy. I do love the creative presets which are often really
impressive, but the tape emulation sound silly compared to things like Outer Space by Audio Thing.
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibralux View Post
Am I the only one not feeling this delay? As much as I love Valhalla (I own Vintage Verb and Plate) and as much as I wanted
to like it, it sounds 2D and artificial to me. I much prefer Echoboy. I do love the creative presets which are often really
impressive, but the tape emulation sound silly compared to things like Outer Space by Audio Thing.
I really think this is quite a few steps ahead of Echoboy when it comes to sheer sound quality, but you're certainly allowed to like what you like. I'm a big Outer Space fan too, and frankly, it does some things here that ValhallaDelay doesn't being a 1:1 Space Echo on the one level, then having a bunch of extra features. All 3 will live happily in my plugin folder, but ValhallaDelay will probably remain my new first choice.
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

It's not an does-it-all for me (none of my delay plugins really is), but it can do certain things extraordinary good.

And to make it thicker or give it body, i got enough tools to shape it in any direction if needed.
Old 6th May 2019
Maybe I need to spend some more time with it. Or maybe its just not for me. It happens
Old 6th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Used this on a mix session today on BBD with 103% feedback or something like that and hit the space bar and went out for lunch. When I returned thirty minutes later the most beautiful oscillation had filled the room, not loud and shrill, just gorgeously whistling for me. Made me very happy.
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don’t think you’ll have much company?
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Maybe I need to spend some more time with it. Or maybe its just not for me. It happens
And just to be clear, there are definitely some sources where I thought it was a bit too much. Depending on the sound I'm going for, I might find a different delay works better on some synth sounds for example. And in those examples, I believe I opted for ColourCopy which was another take on a BBD delay. But when it comes to guitar in particular, ValhallaDelay is out of this world good for me. Piano...so good. Vocals? Another one. Typing this out, my new running theory is that some of the modes are so dark they may not always work with lowpassed sources, or anything without some top end, but you can always switch modes or opt for something else. But the Tape and BBD modes in particular are just killer on the right source.
Old 6th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
For a Space-Echo type sound you need to roll off the lowend up to around ~300-500hz and add around 10-30% diffusion at a size of around 1-3%. At default settings, the feedback has way too much lowend and lacks diffusion. This makes a HUGE difference and gets you much closer to Outer Space / Modnetic. 10-15db of drive also helps, aswell as just a bit of stereo spread.

btw what Valhalla absolutely nails when it comes to tape echo sound is nonlinear wow / flutter and automatic ducking. Sounds way more realistic than any other delay I've ever tried. Try setting feedback just a bit before self oscillation and then slowly play something into it. The feedback will morph and duck and flutter in such an alive and nonlinear way, it's incredible.
Old 6th May 2019
Thanks for the tips. Will investigate further. I love Sean's reverbs and also
what he has done for the Eurorack Z-DSP multi fx (Halls Of Valhalla just kill the competition) so maybe I was just too tired with too much mixing. Truth to be told I was checking it out after 10 hours mixing session...
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubguy99 View Post
The feedback will morph and duck and flutter in such an alive and nonlinear way, it's incredible.
Agreed! At the threshold of self-oscillation this thing has no equal in plugin world, in my opinion. It's extremely easy to control and very fun to play with.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Head

This is up at the ‘manic-laughter’ level of excellent.

If someone had told me almost two weeks ago (as I tried out Shimmer on recommendation from a sound designer buddy) that I’d be buying two more reverbs/delays within ten days... <shakes head>. Color me happy.

(the second one was UberMod)

Last edited by AnalogDigits; 7th May 2019 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Clarity; pointing out UberMod as the second reverb/effect
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Addict

Valhalla Delay is an instant classic. Right up there with Surreal Machines, Primal Tap and Permut8.
Old 7th May 2019
OK, so I have spent some more time with it and finally bought it. There are some styles that I am still not convinced with (tape mainly) but the other stuff with some tweaking does sound great and even spectacular at times.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
OK, so I have spent some more time with it and finally bought it. There are some styles that I am still not convinced with (tape mainly) but the other stuff with some tweaking does sound great and even spectacular at times.
I think I get what you mean.

I didn't like the tape mode at first (UA's space echo is more vibey in this regard), but adding some external plugins for a more convincing saturation is getting me in the right direction. Still I would love a Valhalla Delay update with a better sounding drive. For all other things I really love it. All the possibilities and flexibility are really nice.
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrova View Post
I think I get what you mean.

I didn't like the tape mode at first (UA's space echo is more vibey in this regard), but adding some external plugins for a more convincing saturation is getting me in the right direction. Still I would love a Valhalla Delay update with a better sounding drive. For all other things I really love it. All the possibilities and flexibility are really nice.
Valhalla Delay + Contemporary Color is a nice combo...
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Am I the only one not feeling this delay? ...
i need to spend more time with it, but i'm somehow not immediately blown away like i thought i would be. that BBD is dark. looking forward to getting deeper into it though.

unfortunately, i don't think anything will ever replace this one for me (that single TONE control is just perfect):

works ok in jBridge, still hoping for a 64-bit release some day.

Old 8th May 2019
Gear Addict

Just want to clarify a couple things in case some people have forgotten or didn't realize this...

The ERA control is extremely important and can drastically change the delay sound depending on mode and settings. ValhallaDelay is in past mode by default and this is supposed to emulate some pretty old designs. If you switch to present ERA the BBD mode brightens right up and future mode takes this even further.

As far as tape mode there are a few things worth noting. Tape mode may be the default when you first open the plugin and it may appear at first glance to just be an emulation of a space echo but I don't think the default settings by any means are meant to be THE tape delay sound. As mentioned before the ERA control can make a huge difference here. However, if you are trying to make this sound like an re-201 or re-301 (assuming you use multiple tape heads in other space echo plugins) you really want to use the quad style with feedback mode set to swell. Otherwise you are comparing things that are fundamentally different. You also really want to be sure to mess with the age knob because that is what controls the noise and noise is a big part of the space echo sound. I personally recommend medium diffusion size with a low diffusion amount and wow and flutter both around 35% because 50% sounds a little too worn to me.

Anyway, my point is that ValhallaDelay isn't an exact specific emulation and the style, era, and age are far more important than they seem. I often find that whenever I am struggling to get the sound I want in a certain mode they are the missing piece.

I'm sure everyone has at least played with these a little bit but I just wanted to throw my opinion out there because I think this plugin is amazing and easy to use but it's not always intuitive to get the result you are used to from other delay plugins because this has a few key components that others either don't have or don't give you control over. Oh and also experimenting with diffusion is also very important.

Anyway, that ended up way longer than planned haa.
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i need to spend more time with it, but i'm somehow not immediately blown away like i thought i would be. that BBD is dark. looking forward to getting deeper into it though.

unfortunately, i don't think anything will ever replace this one for me (that single TONE control is just perfect):

works ok in jBridge, still hoping for a 64-bit release some day.

I agree that the BBD is a little too dark, even on the 'future' setting but it's pretty easy to to brighten it up to taste with some generous EQ and saturation. With some saturation before the delay and then a 10db shelf from around 3k and some more saturation afterwards, it sounds like I'd want it to sound. (that feedback in the 'past' mode is sooooo dreamy!)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search