The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Antelope Audio introduces Orion 32 HD | Gen3 Flagship AD/DA Converter
Old 5th August 2019
  #61
Gear Head
 
lee52813's Avatar
 

In fact, the problem is very easy to describe that it just restart randomly often and irregularly . This trouble me more than one year. I followed what Antelope told me: changing power cable, and many many ways etc. But the problem still there. Only it work by Golden Booting. I don’t know why? FPGA broke? Program bug? Product design wrong? What and how can I do ? Golden booting! Even I want to throw it away especially when I take recording. Pro tools will show error and quit!
Old 12th August 2019
  #62
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
In case this helps anyone else...

I had power up problems with my initially purchased Orion 32 HD. I had it hooked up to a power strip that was turned off after every session - so, the Orion was completely cut off from power after usage.

The unit exhibited repeated problems upon start up, and would typically get stuck at the (default?) 44.1khz setting, rather than re-starting at 48khz as my PT HD sessions - which was also the Orion's last setting before powering off. It couldn't be changed to 48 from the front panel and many re-boots didn't help. Then, randomly, it would allow me to switch to 48khz after wasting a couple hours trying.

Long story short, this unit had to be returned to SW (...this was before SW apparently stopped carrying Antelope). For the replacement Orion 32 HD, I made certain that the unit would ALWAYS stay connected to an active power strip and thus power down into Standby mode when powered off and never be completely cut off.

I haven't had any issues with the replacement unit and it always powers up at the previous rate and exhibits no other strange anomalies. This may be anecdotal, or since resolved as a potential issue through firmware updates, or all do to some unknown reason, but I thought I'd share in case anyone else had similar issues and their warranty period has since expired.

Old 28th August 2019
  #63
I have a 32HD that remained powered up for months on end and it never gave me any issues at all. I left it on out of lazyness, but maybe that's why I never had a problem?

I went back to my Metric Halo 3D boxes, and never got around to selling it. I'm frustrated that they've updated the unit already. That doesn't help resale value of expensive gear.
Old 29th August 2019
  #64
Gear Maniac
 
Dan O's Avatar
 

Is there any chance that anyone who owns a Orion 32 gen3 unit would like to do a loopback test? I'm really courious about the results and how it sounds.

Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker

( It's really easy, costs nothing. )
Old 4 weeks ago
  #65
Gear Head
 
GregAnikin's Avatar
 

Had a chance to compare it to Aurora and i amazed how good Aurora is. Other thing - customer service is really bad, emailed you 6 times and did not get any response at all. Updated your “wonderful” control app and it stopped showing me mixer and stuck on “syncing clock” something. Unplugged, packed and sent back to dealer. You have big promotion going, you use MHB as your representative but your device is far from that great as you position it and your customer service don’t even exist. So many features that not even necessary, i got 32 channels device but it shows everywhere as 64 and i can’t even manage to delete it. Good luck with developing customer service and better devices. For now - i’m going with 32 more channels of Aurora even though it’s gonna cost me 64 channels of Antelope.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Skamm Goodiez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAnikin View Post
Had a chance to compare it to Aurora and i amazed how good Aurora is. Other thing - customer service is really bad, emailed you 6 times and did not get any response at all. Updated your “wonderful” control app and it stopped showing me mixer and stuck on “syncing clock” something. Unplugged, packed and sent back to dealer. You have big promotion going, you use MHB as your representative but your device is far from that great as you position it and your customer service don’t even exist. So many features that not even necessary, i got 32 channels device but it shows everywhere as 64 and i can’t even manage to delete it. Good luck with developing customer service and better devices. For now - i’m going with 32 more channels of Aurora even though it’s gonna cost me 64 channels of Antelope.
the extra 32 channels are virtual channels you can use to route signals to and from FPGA FX.

But I must admit that Antelope are experts at shooting themselves in the foot. The damn control app was working fine. you update it and now I end up spending 30 plus minutes over the phone with tech support to fix it... I was about to buy a secong Gen3 but now i'm nervous.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #67
Gear Head
 
GregAnikin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
the extra 32 channels are virtual channels you can use to route signals to and from FPGA FX.

But I must admit that Antelope are experts at shooting themselves in the foot. The damn control app was working fine. you update it and now I end up spending 30 plus minutes over the phone with tech support to fix it... I was about to buy a secong Gen3 but now i'm nervous.
Yeah that update drove me nuts. I literally said “screw that” and packed it all back. Those 32 fx channels are useless in my case because i have whole rack of effects. But yeah man, i fell you. I decided to spend 6k on Aurora.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Skamm Goodiez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAnikin View Post
Yeah that update drove me nuts. I literally said “screw that” and packed it all back. Those 32 fx channels are useless in my case because i have whole rack of effects. But yeah man, i fell you. I decided to spend 6k on Aurora.
You can also use the 64 channels to feed the MADI interface.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #69
Gear Head
 
GregAnikin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
You can also use the 64 channels to feed the MADI interface.
Yeah which is another 2k for madi interface.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #70
Lives for gear
 
Skamm Goodiez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAnikin View Post
Yeah which is another 2k for madi interface.
That I spent (RME) and truthfully I do not regret it. No more USB and Thunderbolt BS to deal with. System is super stable that way.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #71
Gear Head
 
GregAnikin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
That I spent (RME) and truthfully I do not regret it. No more USB and Thunderbolt BS to deal with. System is super stable that way.
I spent extra 1k on LT card for aurora as aes/ebu interface and happy with it. Bricasti, Eventide, Lexicon hooked up to 8 channels and i have extra 8 free for master interface and some other digital gear if i’ll buy it in the future. But case about antelope is closed. Not the beat choice
Old 4 weeks ago
  #72
Lives for gear
 
Skamm Goodiez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAnikin View Post
I spent extra 1k on LT card for aurora as aes/ebu interface and happy with it. Bricasti, Eventide, Lexicon hooked up to 8 channels and i have extra 8 free for master interface and some other digital gear if i’ll buy it in the future. But case about antelope is closed. Not the beat choice
Im not trying to sell you an antelope amigo.... Just wanted to clarify some things about it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #73
Gear Head
 
GregAnikin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
Im not trying to sell you an antelope amigo.... Just wanted to clarify some things about it.
I get it ) neither i’m trying to sell you Aurora
Old 2 weeks ago
  #74
Gear Nut
 

What’s the final word on delay compensation in pro tools HDX with this guy? Is it sample accurate or nah?
Old 1 week ago
  #75
Lives for gear
 
ORyan87's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAnikin View Post
Had a chance to compare it to Aurora and i amazed how good Aurora is. Other thing - customer service is really bad, emailed you 6 times and did not get any response at all. Updated your “wonderful” control app and it stopped showing me mixer and stuck on “syncing clock” something. Unplugged, packed and sent back to dealer. You have big promotion going, you use MHB as your representative but your device is far from that great as you position it and your customer service don’t even exist. So many features that not even necessary, i got 32 channels device but it shows everywhere as 64 and i can’t even manage to delete it. Good luck with developing customer service and better devices. For now - i’m going with 32 more channels of Aurora even though it’s gonna cost me 64 channels of Antelope.
Just curious, what OS were you on?
Old 1 week ago
  #76
Lives for gear
 
Bounce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSwaltz View Post
What’s the final word on delay compensation in pro tools HDX with this guy? Is it sample accurate or nah?
I have the same question. Anyone?
Old 6 days ago
  #77
Gear Head
 
GregAnikin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORyan87 View Post
Just curious, what OS were you on?
Mojave
Old 16 hours ago
  #78
Gear Maniac
 

Hello everyone,
What I am hesitant about buying the new Orion 32 HD Gen 3 is that:
1. Antelope changes models too quickly, and the old models are not worth anything.
2. Antelope should have an upgrade model to help us out.
3. I am very, very afraid that as soon as I get this USB 3 model, Antelope will come out with a USB C, not Thunderbolt, just USB C, and this USB 3 model will be worth nothing again.

Antelope should have an upgrade for their faithful customers.

May be Sam can chime in.

dan
Old 9 hours ago
  #79
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan le View Post
Hello everyone,
What I am hesitant about buying the new Orion 32 HD Gen 3 is that:
1. Antelope changes models too quickly, and the old models are not worth anything.
2. Antelope should have an upgrade model to help us out.
3. I am very, very afraid that as soon as I get this USB 3 model, Antelope will come out with a USB C, not Thunderbolt, just USB C, and this USB 3 model will be worth nothing again.

Antelope should have an upgrade for their faithful customers.

May be Sam can chime in.

dan
Few things depreciate like audio gear. You have to purchasae based on usefulness, *not* resale potential.

But your points are valid, imo. I've held off because each product seems to stand on shaky ground, having been released before it was ready for prime time, then fixed in the next iteration. I'm ok testing software as though it's beta, but not hardware (unless firmware updates take care of the issues but that doesn't seem to happen here).
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump