The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Arturia releases 3 Compressors You'll Actually Use
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Sorry to insist, but any happy user of the Arturia Compressors on Mojave here ?

On my system, Tube STA is definitely not working (crashing both Live 10 and Reaper, in VST, VST3 and AU)...
It was working perfectly on Sierra before I upgraded...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
Sorry to insist, but any happy user of the Arturia Compressors on Mojave here ?

On my system, Tube STA is definitely not working (crashing both Live 10 and Reaper, in VST, VST3 and AU)...
It was working perfectly on Sierra before I upgraded...
Hi i don't use it often, but it works fine for me on Mojave (10.14.6) but i use Cubase.

rsp
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
I wonder if they would bring back some 3 pack 99 $ bundle , or they will keep adding 49 $ each time to a never ending mega bundle ...( witch is imho a mistake )
I am eagerly awaiting black friday to see what or if arturia will offer. I missed the last effects deal and regret it a little now that I got into effects via the IKM Tracks 5 stuff. It would be interesting to see if or how the arturia stuff differs in sound and performance compared to Tracks5 stuff.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
Hi i don't use it often, but it works fine for me on Mojave (10.14.6) but i use Cubase.

rsp
Thanks for your reply.
It's strange indeed : I don't get how Tube-Sta could work on your system on Cubase and not work on Reaper, Ableton and Reason on my system.
Because I just tried on Reason 11 and this is the exact same situation : after a crash of Reason at opening, Tube Sta is not anymore in the vst folder and can't be used.

On all these DAWs (Live, Reaper, Reason), VCA-65 and FET-76 are working ok.

I don't get it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
I am eagerly awaiting black friday to see what or if arturia will offer. I missed the last effects deal and regret it a little now that I got into effects via the IKM Tracks 5 stuff. It would be interesting to see if or how the arturia stuff differs in sound and performance compared to Tracks5 stuff.
The great thing with IK is that you pick wha you need .. i didnt jumped on the Fx because i'm ok with my minifilter , just need one preamp and the compressors ...arguemnt is : yep but for the price of X you get everything but ..i'm tired of accumulating plugin that i never gonna use ...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut
I "actually use" only 1176. I mix rock music, and I can't find place for STA. DBX clone is good, but 1176 can do all the job. Wish it only have "Blue stripe" rev A emulation mode.

I would love to have LA-2A emulation from Arturia, though. It would be more useful then STA, IMHO.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxgvr View Post
I "actually use" only 1176. I mix rock music, and I can't find place for STA. DBX clone is good, but 1176 can do all the job. Wish it only have "Blue stripe" rev A emulation mode.

I would love to have LA-2A emulation from Arturia, though. It would be more useful then STA, IMHO.
The thing with the STA is to mix it with a faster compressor such as the 1176. Let the 1176 handle all the peaks and the STA for some gentle levelling.

The DBX for me is a color tool, especially with the limiter/clipper on.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Hope Arturia will release “3 more compressors you’ll actually use”. API2500, LA-2A, SSL bus comp (don’t insist on last one. I have Cytomic The Glue already, and I doubt some one can make better SSL clone than Cytomic did).

Would be interesting to look at “3 Tape Machines You’ll Actually Use” also

More realistic suggestion: How about to add “Blue Stripe” mode to FET compressor just like Waves did to CLA76?
For 3 Tape Machines you'll actually use check out IK.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:

Many rock mixers use a Sta Level. Bass and Vocals. Hit that needle. Like really hard. And be sure to check out the different modes.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
The thing with the STA is to mix it with a faster compressor such as the 1176. Let the 1176 handle all the peaks and the STA for some gentle levelling.

The DBX for me is a color tool, especially with the limiter/clipper on.
I'll add to this tip, a little secret for the 1176 + tube compressor combo.

Find the loudest peak of your track. Loop it. Most DAWs have a waveform zoom feature of some kind to make this easier and all have a loop playback function. Find it and set your 1176 threshold there, be it software or hardware.

Keep lowering it until that peak sounds dull/sucked in. Then back off the threshold until it's in between dull and not so dull.

You can also automate it! Particularly on vocals, any big peaks that stick way out just lower them with gain automation. Then, set the 1176 threshold.

As for the STA-Level? Ignore the meter. That baby can handle a huge amount of gain reduction! And again, find the peak of your song, loop it and set the threshold there. This time, you don't want your track to sound lifeless at all. So slowly back the threshold down once it hits that dull point and bring it back to life.

Finally, top off your newly compressed track with some tape saturation. You now have yourself a hit song, enjoy the royalties.*

*this is 999/1000 times a lie
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

BTW the STA is an amazing bass di/amp compressor .. this dude can handle it alone in a nice thick and creamy tone with some gentle grit. And if the bass sound too dry just switch into the double or triple mode.
Old 5 hours ago
Gear Maniac

WARNING to all the users of Mojave that did install it in APFS case sensitive, Tube STA will not work on this system.

I had troubles with this specific plugin after upgrading to Mojave (everything else was running fine), and after days of exchange with the Arturia Support they confirmed me that there is a bug they could reproduce in the code of Tube STA and it doesn't work AT ALL on a case sensitive OS (Mojave in my case, I don't know about other OS).

FET-76 and VCA-65 are working perfectly, so it's really a bug and should be fixed in a future upate.
I hope it will come soon : I'm missing my Tube STA...
Old 36 minutes ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

The STA is a slow compressor in the type of an LA2A, so bass and vocals for rock are great with it. It has also a gentle softening effect with could be useful.

The DBX165 is, to me, a saturation machine. The saturation (and sometimes distortion) when pushing the limiter is very cool. And it's maybe one of the only ITB distortion I am happy with on vocals at the moment.
So it also does wonders on snare for the same reason (in parallel or 100% wet).

I like also to use it on bass if the bass is too clean, for that saturation.
Think of the limiter as clipper. It is one of the worst limiter the world has come to in terms of respect of the audio source. Which makes it one of the most desirable saturation unit IMO.
I like to use the outboard that way (never used a Sta outboard more than one or twice).

As the Rev-A, I sometimes feel that, but I have to confess that it's no biggy to me. I don't mind the "softer" sound of the black. And in the studio I am more than happy using a black one =).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search