The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Arturia releases 3 Compressors You'll Actually Use
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
I use them all the time mainly the 1176 and STA, as well the pre-amps bundle.
Same here for the most part.

I didn't "add" the Delay bundle though. I don't use delay that much anyway.

The synths are also starting to show their strength for me.

And I am a long time user of Spark although I haven't programmed beats in a while.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I wonder if they would bring back some 3 pack 99 $ bundle , or they will keep adding 49 $ each time to a never ending mega bundle ...( witch is imho a mistake )
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
VST 3 I think... I'm not sure 100%, but I think I was too happy to test the VST3 in Reaper (I'm still using Live 9 usually).

Why ?
I have generally experienced VST 3 to be more prone to crashing. Slate on top of that list.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
I have generally experienced VST 3 to be more prone to crashing. Slate on top of that list.
Vst 3 was promising on paper but it was the bigger downgrade i've seen so far :
  • Crashes
  • Features implemented by very few brands
  • Mess in presets management for a lot of brands
  • Half of the brands don't allow to install those where you want while they do for vst 2 , can't understand why
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
[*]Half of the brands don't allow to install those where you want while they do for vst 2 , can't understand why[/LIST]
That seems intentional. VST3 wants users installing everything to a defined path so vendors and users don't stew plugins across their PCs. For better or worse...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
That seems intentional. VST3 wants users installing everything to a defined path so vendors and users don't stew plugins across their PCs. For better or worse...
I thought my installers gave me a select directory option for VST3 with some plugins?

I could be wrong.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Nope some gives choices ...my vst3 folder by the starts to become way to big lol and what kills me is because of live 9 i have to get vst 2 anyways ...no issue on my deskyop.but on my lapto since i m dual boot ...spaces becomes a real issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I thought my installers gave me a select directory option for VST3 with some plugins?

I could be wrong.
Nome you re right
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
  • Crashes
  • Half of the brands don't allow to install those where you want while they do for vst 2 , can't understand why
very few developers who respected the vst3 and did it as it should, like Sonnox.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
very few developers who respected the vst3 and did it as it should, like Sonnox.
You re talking about a brand that 120 % of my respect ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
You re talking about a brand that 120 % of my respect ...
And their plugins even after all these years never outdated.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

I could be wrong.
Some plugins let you pick, but that's not what Steinberg wants. Straight from the horse's mouth:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/e...ons-on-Windows

It clearly states they want ALL VST3 plugins being installed into the same directory. Companies that let you choose a VST3 location are actually deviating from standard.

I'm not saying I have an opinion one or the other, but just relaying how Steinberg says it's supposed to work. And they would know.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Some plugins let you pick, but that's not what Steinberg wants. Straight from the horse's mouth:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/e...ons-on-Windows

It clearly states they want ALL VST3 plugins being installed into the same directory. Companies that let you choose a VST3 location are actually deviating from standard.

I'm not saying I have an opinion one or the other, but just relaying how Steinberg says it's supposed to work. And they would know.
The problem is not "same folder" , but where is that "same folder"
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
The problem is not "same folder" , but where is that "same folder"
It says where all VST3 plugins Windows should be located in that link.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
It says where all VST3 plugins Windows should be located in that link.
Lol i know where it is , the problem is the flexibility to use any other place basically i have a partition dedicate to audio called : AUDIO

in it i have everything audio :

DAWS
FX
INSTUMENTS
DATA

I have another Drive (phsycial one not logical ) SSD 2 TB for DATA (library and project

When i have a daw i just say : scan FX and Instruments and i'm done ...nor suyrpise ...when i wann clean easy , when i want to find struff .?.. easy

Data i created this recentrly when brands like Slate or Arturia have data frolder in prgram data super big , i mean several gigas !! hate that **** so i had to make "mklink J" commands to it and this is what i'm gonna do to vst3' folder if it continues this way ...

Some brands dodn't even ask if you wanna vst 3 , they install it straight!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Lol i know where it is , the problem is the flexibility to use any other place basically i have a partition dedicate to audio called : AUDIO

DAWS
FX
INSTUMENTS
DATA

I have another Drive (phsycial one not logical ) SSD 2 TB for DATA (library and project

When i have a daw i just say : scan FX and Instruments and i'm done ...nor suyrpise ...when i wann clean easy , when i want to find struff .?.. easy

Data i created this recentrly when brands like Slate or Arturia have data frolder in prgram data super big , i mean several gigas !! hate that **** so i had to make "mklink J" commands to it and this is what i'm gonna do to vst3' folder if it continues this way ...

Hey, I get it. I like the way I organize my VST2 plugins which is similar to your approach, but I gave up trying to fight Steinberg when it comes to VST3.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

DAWS
FX
INSTUMENTS
DATA

Yeah, you could put your actual VST 3 folder on the drive you want and let the default location just link to it.

Agreed on the Sonnox plugs, Inflator is still awesome, the Reverb super tweakable and the Limiter still one of the best to me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Yeah, you could put your actual VST 3 folder on the drive you want and let the default location just link to it.

Agreed on the Sonnox plugs, Inflator is still awesome, the Reverb super tweakable and the Limiter still one of the best to me.
Yes, symlinks (called mlink on Windows) is a great way to do this. Tricks the OS into seeing the two different directories on different drives as the same one. That would be the best way to workaround having to locate your VST3 plugins on the C: drive because you can physically locate them elsewhere while the OS treats them as being located where Steinberg and VST3 hosts expect them to be.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

There has got to be so much "user error" with installs they have to "manage" that.

It would be nice to have an "Expert" button. and then something like "Are you sure?? ;-p)" maybe a little less obvious though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Yes, symlinks (called mlink on Windows) is a great way to do this. Tricks the OS into seeing the two different directories on different drives as the same one. That would be the best way to workaround having to locate your VST3 plugins on the C: drive because you can physically locate them elsewhere while the OS treats them as being located where Steinberg and VST3 hosts expect them to be.
Exactly what I was trying to explain with fewer words. ;-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
There has got to be so much "user error" with installs they have to "manage" that.

It would be nice to have an "Expert" button. and then something like "Are you sure?? ;-p)" maybe a little less obvious though.
It was a smart move on their part to force a same folder location. These developers couldn't make up their minds whether to put it in Steinberg/VST Plugins, regular Program Files/VSTPlugins or c:\VSTPlugins.

Those are defaults I have seen over the years...let alone users installing plugins in custom folders then forgetting where they are and forgetting to point their DAWs to the folders! Doh!

It's a shame developers are already deviating from spec. They should be bent over King Steinberg's knee and spanked with a...virtual paddle?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

After the end of a big project, I took some time to upgrade my OS from Sierra to Mojave, and Ableton Live from 9 to 10.

First, Mojave looks like **** on my non retina macbook from 2012 (most texts fonts are blurry), so I needed to tweak something in the terminal regarding sub-pixel anti-aliasing (something I found on the net after 2 hours fo searching)
It's better now, but I'm still not sure it's similar to what it was before with Sierra (my eyes are to painful, I'll check tomorrow).
Grrrrrr ! Apple are such a$$holes regarding their customers (but it's another story - just check "sub-pixel anti-aliasing" and "Mojave" on the net).

Second (related to this topic), Tube Sta doesn't show up in Live 10.
FET-76 and VCA-65 are there. Tube Sta is not (it's in the VST folder, but Live 10 doesn't see him)...
Same with vst and vst3

Any of you did experience such a problem ?
Old 2 weeks ago
unr
Gear Maniac

Quote:
After the end of a big project, I took some time to upgrade my OS from Sierra to Mojave, and Ableton Live from 9 to 10.

First, Mojave looks like **** on my non retina macbook from 2012 (most texts fonts are blurry), so I needed to tweak something in the terminal regarding sub-pixel anti-aliasing (something I found on the net after 2 hours fo searching)
It's better now, but I'm still not sure it's similar to what it was before with Sierra (my eyes are to painful, I'll check tomorrow).
Grrrrrr ! Apple are such a$$holes regarding their customers (but it's another story - just check "sub-pixel anti-aliasing" and "Mojave" on the net).

Second (related to this topic), Tube Sta doesn't show up in Live 10.
FET-76 and VCA-65 are there. Tube Sta is not (it's in the VST folder, but Live 10 doesn't see him)...
Same with vst and vst3

Any of you did experience such a problem ?
try holding ALT-key and clicking Rescan. Does a deep rescan, can take some minutes, but helped me find lost VSTs after a OS upgrade.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by unr View Post
try holding ALT-key and clicking Rescan. Does a deep rescan, can take some minutes, but helped me find lost VSTs after a OS upgrade.
When I do that, Live is just crashing...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Something is truly wrong : I uninstalled tube sta, then reinstalled it.
It's showing off in VST3, but I can't put it in a track (it just does nothing).
It's still invisible in vst2.

I'll email the support, I'll see what they can provide...
Old 2 weeks ago
unr
Gear Maniac

Quote:
When I do that, Live is just crashing...
This may not necessarily be Live's fault, maybe a plugin hangs, i had these issues some time ago with ilok plugins. You could try to check the last log entry of the crash pack which is being generated on next start of Live. Should be an indicator what was scanned last.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
  • Crashes
With everything going 64bit only, VST3 will soon be the only way to go forward, unless your DAW supports AAX or AU.

VST3 will improve, I just know how quickly that will happen.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'm still stucked with my Tube Sta version (AU, VST and VST3) not recognized by either Live and Reaper...

I was using the 3 Arturia compressors on Mac OS Sierra and everything was fine.

I recently upgraded to Mojave (clean install, so I downloaded again everything from Arturia), and since then the Tube STA is trapped in the limbo.

The Arturia support didn't help (at all - only very generic advices, nothing worked).

Did any of you experienced that ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Hope Arturia will release “3 more compressors you’ll actually use”. API2500, LA-2A, SSL bus comp (don’t insist on last one. I have Cytomic The Glue already, and I doubt some one can make better SSL clone than Cytomic did).

Would be interesting to look at “3 Tape Machines You’ll Actually Use” also

More realistic suggestion: How about to add “Blue Stripe” mode to FET compressor just like Waves did to CLA76?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxgvr View Post
Hope Arturia will release “3 more compressors you’ll actually use”. API2500, LA-2A, SSL bus comp (don’t insist on last one. I have Cytomic The Glue already, and I doubt some one can make better SSL clone than Cytomic did).

Would be interesting to look at “3 Tape Machines You’ll Actually Use” also

More realistic suggestion: How about to add “Blue Stripe” mode to FET compressor just like Waves did to CLA76?
Just get trackcomp from DMG Audio : the last beta added API 2500, 76a and Zener to the previous 76d, SSL G bus, SSL E channel, LA2A and the 100% digital DMG one...
Unbeatable ! But like one guy said on the trackcomp thread, "GUI doesn't saturate"...

By the way, nobody has problems with Mojave and the Tube STA ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Just get trackcomp from DMG Audio : the last beta added API 2500, 76a and Zener to the previous 76d, SSL G bus, SSL E channel, LA2A and the 100% digital DMG one...
Unbeatable ! But like one guy said on the trackcomp thread, "GUI doesn't saturate"...

By the way, nobody has problems with Mojave and the Tube STA ?
Thanks! Had no idea.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search