The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black Lion Audio introduces "The Bluey"
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Maniac

Black Lion Audio introduces "The Bluey"

Black Lion Audio is beyond proud to introduce... The Bluey

The "Bluey" is a modified "Blue Stripe" compressor based off of the "golden" unit owned by Chris Lord-Alge. When certain components became unavailable, techs were forced to change the circuit, creating a one of a kind compressor that has been heard on countless hits.

Any audio engineer worth their weight in gear will tell you about the special moments that occur on records by chance. We’re talking about the magic you can’t plan. It must occur organically, being comprised of sheer randomness or even flat out mistakes. For instance, the spontaneous banter from a vocalist in between takes that adds character to a track, or a radical new audio effect discovered through a simple routing mistake.

The same good fortune sometimes shines upon a piece in the vintage gear world. Through decades of maintenance and repair, some units, like wine, get better with time. The scarcity of original parts leads technicians to diverge from the original design, creating an improved, one-of-a-kind, modified unit.
Armed with an impeccable ear, decades of experience, and an abundance of coveted gear, legendary mix engineer, Chris Lord-Alge, was able to recognize one of his four 1176 Blue Stripe units as firmly sitting in this distinctive category. The particular unit, dubbed “Bluey,” has a special “mojo” to it that shines on vocal tracks like no other.

Chris desired more channels of this golden unit, and reached out to the guys who know modifications best – the team at Black Lion Audio! Intrigued by Chris’ praise of the unit, head design engineer, Jesus Ortiz, boarded a plane from Chicago to LA to discover what gave this Blue Stripe its edge. He found a series of mods done to the unit over the years to keep it working that miraculously cumulated in a uniquely beast-like 1176! BLA analyzed the unit with pain-staking detail, and has, in conjunction with Chris Lorde-Alge, recreated the monster, now known as the new Black Lion Audio “Bluey!”

Bluey Technical Highlights
• Fully discrete design
• Through hole components
• Polyester capacitors
• Vintage inspired one-sided PCB layout
• Cinemag remake of original UTC transformer
• Wet/Dry mix feature
• Linear power supply
• Precise meter calibration
Attached Thumbnails
Black Lion Audio introduces "The Bluey"-ezvh4a9.jpg   Black Lion Audio introduces "The Bluey"-vpraaiwy.jpg   Black Lion Audio introduces "The Bluey"-ylvho2ov.jpg  
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Its great to see that a select few are putting the wet / dry mix knob on for that parallel compression.

Nice work Black Lion !!!!

Now how about the price.

Are we competing with other boutiques like Audio Scape , Stam and others.

Cheers
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Its great to see that a select few are putting the wet / dry mix knob on for that parallel compression.

Nice work Black Lion !!!!

Now how about the price.

Are we competing with other boutiques like Audio Scape , Stam and others.

Cheers
$799 usd
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Addict

Great price
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Head

YouTube
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Addict

Amazing price. When are they shipping?
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

I'm intrigued just because of the wet/dry.
Old 2nd April 2019
Here for the gear
I have been toying with an LA 2A/1176 hardware purchase for a vocal chain, Bluey might be the ticket...
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Maniac

Can we see it at the musikmesse?
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectape View Post
Can we see it at the musikmesse?
absolutely. hall 8.0 booth j50
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddistribution View Post
absolutely. hall 8.0 booth j50
Great, a good reason to go to the Musikmesse!
Old 3rd April 2019
Gear Nut

I´d like to pre-order one unit
When and where could I do that? I´m in Germany.
Thanks!
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Nut

There is a long held assumption that CLA's Blue stripe is a Urei 1176 Rev A, but the video showing how they took it apart to look at the mods shows that it is in fact a Urei 1176 Rev B.
It would be cool to hear what the mods to the original circuit actually were.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiccup View Post
There is a long held assumption that CLA's Blue stripe is a Urei 1176 Rev A, but the video showing how they took it apart to look at the mods shows that it is in fact a Urei 1176 Rev B.
It would be cool to hear what the mods to the original circuit actually were.
Depending on how extensive the mods are, its hard to even call it a Urei anymore...sort of like calling a FIA World Rally Championship, Ford badged car a Ford Fiesta.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Depending on how extensive the mods are, its hard to even call it a Urei anymore...sort of like calling a FIA World Rally Championship, Ford badged car a Ford Fiesta.
I suspect the mods are minimal
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

They are upfront in saying that CLA's preferred unit had gone through several updates over the years. That's part of what makes this box an unknown quantity.

Main circuit changes aside, this Bluey has the "MIX" knob and a linking jack added, which were not features of the "golden" unit. Certainly useful, but hard to say it has the exact same behavior of CLA's unit.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Addict

It never ends...
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiccup View Post
I suspect the mods are minimal
Your suspicion might be wrong...

Quote:
The same good fortune sometimes shines upon a piece in the vintage gear world. Through decades of maintenance and repair, some units, like wine, get better with time. The scarcity of original parts leads technicians to diverge from the original design, creating an improved, one-of-a-kind, modified unit.
Armed with an impeccable ear, decades of experience, and an abundance of coveted gear, legendary mix engineer, Chris Lord-Alge, was able to recognize one of his four 1176 Blue Stripe units as firmly sitting in this distinctive category.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Your suspicion might be wrong...
I took the prior post as saying, "if it's really a rev. B, and not a rev. A like everyone assumed, maybe it hasn't been that heavily modded for a rev. B. Maybe, just the fact that it's a rev. B is what accounts for most of the difference."

I'd have no idea if that were actually the case. There's an interesting read on the different rev's here:

1176 REVISION HISTORY - Mixonline

Anyway, I'll be very interested in hearing these when they come out. If the reviews are good, I may have to pick [at least] one up.
Old 5th April 2019
It’s great to see CLA is finally endorsing some studio gear !!
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post

Old 6th April 2019
So is CLA gonna just use these and his CLA10s now?
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
So is CLA gonna just use these and his CLA10s now?

NEVER GETS OLD.

Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddistribution View Post
Black Lion Audio is beyond proud to introduce... The Bluey

The "Bluey" is a modified "Blue Stripe" compressor based off of the "golden" unit owned by Chris Lord-Alge. When certain components became unavailable, techs were forced to change the circuit, creating a one of a kind compressor that has been heard on countless hits.

Any audio engineer worth their weight in gear will tell you about the special moments that occur on records by chance. We’re talking about the magic you can’t plan. It must occur organically, being comprised of sheer randomness or even flat out mistakes. For instance, the spontaneous banter from a vocalist in between takes that adds character to a track, or a radical new audio effect discovered through a simple routing mistake.

Armed with an impeccable ear, decades of experience, and an abundance of coveted gear, legendary mix engineer, Chris Lord-Alge, was able to recognize one of his four 1176 Blue Stripe units as firmly sitting in this distinctive category. The particular unit, dubbed “Bluey,” has a special “mojo” to it that shines on vocal tracks like no other.

Chris desired more channels of this golden unit, and reached out to the guys who know modifications best – the team at Black Lion Audio! Intrigued by Chris’ praise of the unit, head design engineer, Jesus Ortiz, boarded a plane from Chicago to LA to discover what gave this Blue Stripe its edge. He found a series of mods done to the unit over the years to keep it working that miraculously cumulated in a uniquely beast-like 1176! BLA analyzed the unit with pain-staking detail, and has, in conjunction with Chris Lorde-Alge, recreated the monster, now known as the new Black Lion Audio “Bluey!”

Bluey Technical Highlights
• Fully discrete design
• Through hole components
• Polyester capacitors
• Vintage inspired one-sided PCB layout
• Cinemag remake of original UTC transformer
• Wet/Dry mix feature
• Linear power supply
• Precise meter calibration
Looks cool.... great features... great price point to capture those who grew up in the box and are thinking about making the leap...

And lemme just nod my cap to CLA for being the trailblazer of creating a brand as a mixer. Sure, all of them now have seemed to pop up in premium video content or plugin endorsers, but, dang, I think CLA was the first... and first with the time warp of the Tammy ns10 reissue with his name and now this gear he’s jumped into hardware... good for him... hopefully this allows him to keep more assistants and studio goblins working...
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
Hahahaha
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I took the prior post as saying, "if it's really a rev. B, and not a rev. A like everyone assumed, maybe it hasn't been that heavily modded for a rev. B. Maybe, just the fact that it's a rev. B is what accounts for most of the difference."

I'd have no idea if that were actually the case. There's an interesting read on the different rev's here:

1176 REVISION HISTORY - Mixonline

Anyway, I'll be very interested in hearing these when they come out. If the reviews are good, I may have to pick [at least] one up.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Im veryinterestedin this Unit...
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Where are the audio examples?
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 View Post
Where are the audio examples?
It's from the man that IS the sound of hits. Just listen to a hit!

Old 13th April 2019
Given the demise of Mohog, and me not wanting to get Warm Audio anything, if this piece of kit is a quality build with a great sound I could definitely go for it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search