The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
BigVCA : the breakthrough that makes hardware mixing tables history.
Old 29th March 2019
Here for the gear

Hardware BigVCA : the breakthrough that makes hardware mixing tables history.

Showtronics is proud to introduce it’s preproduction units of :
« BigVCA - analog edition »

Big VCA by Showtronics de George Dyson

If you are ready to open the door to the very wide world of possibilities that cueing, processing and mixing your live shows with audio software & plugins offers :
BigVCA could be the breakthrough that makes hardware mixing tables in your set history.

Why?

Because the range and audio quality of audio software and plugins is now such that sound engineers and designers can set up stable configurations meeting their every need. Your imagination is the only limit.

A large range of hardware controllers are available to give you full live access to every parameter of any digital audio workstation.

Sound cards designed for studio or home studio use offer a high number of low latency, high-quality audio inputs and outputs.

Until recently, the only way to safely interface the audio outputs of digital audio workstations with a professional PA system, while maintaining physical control over them was via a mixing table.

Showtronics’ BigVCA overcomes this craziness while simplifying both your setup and your signal path.

BigVCA : the first compact analog audio interface that sits transparently in between the outputs of your sound card and the most demanding sound systems.

BigVCA optimizes your booth’s real estate, and your audio signals.

10 preproduction BigVCA units are now either touring, or available on loan against a refundable deposit.

If you are interested or have any questions or suggestions, please contact:

[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails
BigVCA : the breakthrough that makes hardware mixing tables history.-bvca_front3d.jpg   BigVCA : the breakthrough that makes hardware mixing tables history.-bvca_back.jpg   BigVCA : the breakthrough that makes hardware mixing tables history.-bvca_back-3d.jpg   BigVCA : the breakthrough that makes hardware mixing tables history.-bvca_front.jpg  
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

This looks really nice, I have to say you might get more replies in the "Live Sound" forum, best of luck with this.
Old 29th March 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for your support. I'll try posting on the live sound forum to.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Nut

but, but... behringer XR18 would replace ALL of this and all ya'd need is the the XR18 and a laptop.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoostus View Post
but, but... behringer XR18 would replace ALL of this and all ya'd need is the the XR18 and a laptop.
behringer XR18 doesn't sound all that good, and the effects are are usefull but not great, I wouldn't use behringer XR18 for live unless there was no other option because it was all I could afford.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Price?

Why do gear makers pimp a product into with no price? Cause the price is likely absurd for what it is. You likely have been using the wrong interfaces. I use an Apollo for live sound to every PA I encounter with zero issues and I get to use UAD high quality plugs as well. Sorry, but this looks like a fail expect for a very small group of users.
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
behringer XR18 doesn't sound all that good, and the effects are are usefull but not great, I wouldn't use behringer XR18 for live unless there was no other option because it was all I could afford.
Indeed, this big VCA could be replaced by any mixer. That's the way I have been working for many years. But all the idea is to have physical control on the outputs, in case of an emergency. So adding a wireless remote to a rackable mixer like the Behringer XR18, doesn't help much in that way.

And of course, the sound quality and signal to noise ratio is not comparable. BigVCA has been designed with minimal high qualtity analog sound treatment. There are no un-necessary preamps on the inputs that always rise the noise levels when going through a mixer. (only line receivers). No un-necessary AD/DA conversions or other tratments.

Whoever has the chance to test it, will definitely hear the difference.
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGaff View Post
Price?

Why do gear makers pimp a product into with no price? Cause the price is likely absurd for what it is. You likely have been using the wrong interfaces. I use an Apollo for live sound to every PA I encounter with zero issues and I get to use UAD high quality plugs as well. Sorry, but this looks like a fail expect for a very small group of users.
Hi AudioGaff

I'm interested in knowing how you work. I never used those appolo soundcards, but indeed heard great news about them, and the quality of their plugins. I use RME soundcards that I find great, and am very happy with SonyOxford / Lexicon / Vahllala / Softube and many other plugins which sound in my opinion much better than most EQs, compressors and reverbs that you can find on mixers. And of course offer a much wider range of possibilities.

I was just wondering, do you actually connect the outputs of your Appolo Soundcard directly to the PA system in Live situations ? Do you mix live bands like this, or is it more for playback ?
How do you deal in the unlikely event of a software or human issue during the show ? Or if you just need to restart your computer, or turn it off, do you keep access to the amps to turn them down or off just in case ?

Only 10 preproduction BigVCA units have been built yet. They are mostly available on loan against a refundable deposit of 1000€. But the final price of this unit, if it finds a big enough market, will as any electronic device depend much on its final features, and the number of units that will be made.

Actually, the goal is to spread the word, find new users, and get as much feedback about it as possible.
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

I have a strong feeling that the people criticizing this have never done audio for a live theater production or for high budget Broadway tours and multi-million dollar shows. This is nowhere near the same as doing audio for a band or playing tracks in between someone's speech at corporate event.

These are situations where any kind of audio problem could be disastrous (especially in the multi-thousand watt sound systems some of these events use) and having an immediate and hands on way to control the audio both in an the event of a problem or in case of changes or adjustments, even during rehearsal that are immediate is worth its weight in gold.

Also I have a feeling some of these people don't realize how tight space can get on some of these kinds of shows. Spend some time playing in a pit on Broadway and then get back to me on "tight". Some people, in the pits I've played in, are virtually sitting on my lap. Same goes for the guys doing sound and I can see why a rack unit would be a blessing over using a mixer on a table.

I'm not currently in the market for something like this but if I was called upon to do live sound for those kinds of events, I'd be very interested in this. Not sure if you re-posted this in the "Live Sound" part of this forum, but it's uses might be better understood in that part of the forum.

Here's a link:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/live-sound/
Old 15th April 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for your support ionian

Re posted in the live sound forum.

Showtronics proud to introduce preproduction units of : BigVCA - Analog Edition
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search