The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vertigo Sound released official VSC-3 compressor plugin!
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear
Still use it a lot myself. One of the very few (if not the only one for now) compressor plugin I am happy to use on mixbus 95% of the time when mixing ITB.
I like it a lot in parallel on vocals.

And I found it fun on pop vocals too.
First time I tried it on a pop vocal was on this track for example : https://open.spotify.com/album/5Oz61...S1qMj6GLXA5wcA
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
First time I tried it on a pop vocal was on this track for example : https://open.spotify.com/album/5Oz61...S1qMj6GLXA5wcA
I refuse to use spotify. You have any other link or can you just attach a clip?
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I refuse to use spotify. You have any other link or can you just attach a clip?
Haha, I only have a free account to listen to artist references when they send me spotify links (which happens 80% of the time).

Yes there is this on YT : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DXadu5m0j4

Although nothing crazy happening in this mix.

The VSC-3 was compressing healthy 6db at some point, I like its sound when its pushed a bit.
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha, I only have a free account to listen to artist references when they send me spotify links (which happens 80% of the time).

Yes there is this on YT : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DXadu5m0j4

Although nothing crazy happening in this mix.

The VSC-3 was compressing healthy 6db at some point, I like its sound when its pushed a bit.
Sounds good!

Lol, I always feel over the top because 6db to me is barely compression. I live in the 8-14db range all the time with pretty much all my compressors - hardware and software.

I've noticed the VSC3 gets more scooped the harder you push it so it sounds good pushed because it clears away the mud. It scoops around 500hz and then slopes upward when compressing heavy.
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sounds good!

Lol, I always feel over the top because 6db to me is barely compression. I live in the 8-14db range all the time with pretty much all my compressors - hardware and software.

I've noticed the VSC3 gets more scooped the harder you push it so it sounds good pushed because it clears away the mud. It scoops around 500hz and then slopes upward when compressing heavy.
I tend to go way harder on my Distressor than on my plugins I admit haha.

Although, in that song, no need to squash.

Well you made a good point here, I wasn't able to point it out, but it makes sense !
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds good!

Make sure you try Brighton fella. So damn good at high GR. On the last vocal I was taming peaks (3dB max) with Arousor then hitting the vocal with 10-12dB GR, sounded incredible. Beat out every other ITB comp, including TimP's Nebula libraries.
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Still use it a lot myself. One of the very few (if not the only one for now) compressor plugin I am happy to use on mixbus 95% of the time when mixing ITB.
I like it a lot in parallel on vocals.

WheelieR that sounds awesome, the drums sound awesome (that kick!) and I love the sweet pop vibes.

This feels like exactly the right palette of sounds for this compressor. Killer work!
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Make sure you try Brighton fella. So damn good at high GR. On the last vocal I was taming peaks (3dB max) with Arousor then hitting the vocal with 10-12dB GR, sounded incredible. Beat out every other ITB comp, including TimP's Nebula libraries.
I tried it, liked its sound but not so much its action. Still acted like an Acqua plugins to me, which always felt a bit awkward.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmix View Post
WheelieR that sounds awesome, the drums sound awesome (that kick!) and I love the sweet pop vibes.

This feels like exactly the right palette of sounds for this compressor. Killer work!
Ho thanks !

Yeah that "vintage" pop, soft pop seems to be back in fashion. Which I largely prefer to work on rather than super aggressive looped music (which give me headaches pretty quickly because of the overcompressed never ending loops ).

But yeah Vertigo VSC-3 does work wonder for those "soft modern" styles.
I am still using it a lot .
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I tried it, liked its sound but not so much its action. Still acted like an Acqua plugins to me, which always felt a bit awkward.
Surprised by that - love the action, so transparent on vocals. Tested vs the usual top contenders and it came out tops. Grabs and holds so nicely.

Much prefer it to Aqua comps!

VSC-3 did a great job also, but the compression (I hit it hard) was more obvious.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Surprised by that - love the action, so transparent on vocals. Tested vs the usual top contenders and it came out tops. Grabs and holds so nicely.

Much prefer it to Aqua comps!

VSC-3 did a great job also, but the compression (I hit it hard) was more obvious.
Well, my mistake with Brighton was to maybe look too much at the VU. Because it seems way off.

I will give it another try just to see, the trial is very long so it is possible !
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, my mistake with Brighton was to maybe look too much at the VU. Because it seems way off.

I will give it another try just to see, the trial is very long so it is possible !
Likewise, will give it a check with Reaper.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I briefly tested Brighton. Can't say anything about the sound.

But the VU was garbage like all Nebulas here and worst than most Acquas.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
I briefly tested Brighton. Can't say anything about the sound.

But the VU was garbage like all Nebulas here and worst than most Acquas.
Odd - the VU meter works flawlessly for me (i.e. as good as an algo). I assumed that was the case for everyone.

Have you tried the N4 meter tweak?
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Odd - the VU meter works flawlessly for me (i.e. as good as an algo). I assumed that was the case for everyone.

Nope I am not aware of that tweak.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I tried with a TimP library and made it worse.

I will wait for a proper Acustica fix, if that ever come up.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope I am not aware of that tweak.
I'll PM you the details as we're going OT here :¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
I tried with a TimP library and made it worse.

I will wait for a proper Acustica fix, if that ever come up.
Lets not hold our breaths
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I can assure that the source hardware sounds exactly as this plugin, and this was our wanted signature sound for an opto tube.
Then maybe, simply, you just don't like this sound.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Acoustics View Post
I can assure that the source hardware sounds exactly as this plugin, and this was our wanted signature sound for an opto tube.
Then maybe, simply, you just don't like this sound.
That could be a possibility.

Although as I said later my mistake was to focus on the VU too much, then I did the "N4 VU tweak" suggested elegantly here and it worked a lot better !

So now that my eyes and my ears are working together, I will give it another try in comparison to a few opto I got in the studio, and some plugins.

Because I remember liking it's sound, especially the very nice/subtle low-end reinforcement it provides.
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That could be a possibility.

Although as I said later my mistake was to focus on the VU too much, then I did the "N4 VU tweak" suggested elegantly here and it worked a lot better !

So now that my eyes and my ears are working together, I will give it another try in comparison to a few opto I got in the studio, and some plugins.

Because I remember liking it's sound, especially the very nice/subtle low-end reinforcement it provides.
There is certainly margin for an update of the meters tech in Nebula, this we cannot say untrue.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Acoustics View Post
There is certainly margin for an update of the meters tech in Nebula, this we cannot say untrue.
Yep I think that was my main reason behind the "weird behaviour" statement I made.

I printed a few tube comp and optical comp to compares it against =).
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
then I did the "N4 VU tweak" suggested elegantly here and it worked a lot better !
Hi!

Can someone share it please

Thanks,
Daniel.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
Hi!

Can someone share it please

Thanks,
Daniel.
Change/add these in N4.xml (located in usual VST/VST3/AU plugin folders):

<LEDSPEED> 01 </LEDSPEED>
<GUIRATE> 5000 </GUIRATE>
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

Thank you!
Old 19th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

What a great tip! Thank you!
Old 19th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post
What a great tip! Thank you!
Yep, a big thanks to whoever discovered and shared it, I think it was ceejay? It certainly wasn't AA who shared it anyways ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear

JPN and TimP discovered it, we have them to thank :¬)

I'm using VSC-3 in place of my HW on the latest track and I'm not missing it. This is a killer plugin!

VSM next @ Vertigo Sound ?
Old 20th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
JPN and TimP discovered it, we have them to thank :¬)

I'm using VSC-3 in place of my HW on the latest track and I'm not missing it. This is a killer plugin!

VSM next @ Vertigo Sound ?
Aliasing police would say oversampling before maybe (don't kill me).
Old 21st July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Aliasing police would say oversampling before maybe (don't kill me).
I believe elsewhere in the thread they say it is already oversampling internally.
Old 21st July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
I believe elsewhere in the thread they say it is already oversampling internally.
I think so too good point. But it is still aliases quite a bit.
I tested at 48khz and 88.1khz.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search