The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vertigo Sound released official VSC-3 compressor plugin!
Old 3rd June 2019
  #991
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
I see. Thanks.

But I set up the compressors to maximize the gain reduction while sounding transparent and that's why the settings differ obviously. Also becsuse they are just different algorithms.

Just on itself to make the loop stand out more of course I would choose different settings.

Care to share your vsc3 settings?
I see you are still very hesitant when comparing it to your own tools.
I did that also (and someone said it was "rude" to do so in another thread and distespected me for doing this... anyway). So if you search for my posts on this thread you'll find comparison (audio examples included) and hesitations.
I finally grabbed it. And believe me it happens very rarely. I usuamly try everything I got and I find that plugins are still plugins and nothing new is adding anything I cannot do quickly with something else.

It does not mean this one is superior.
But I decided to grab it despite its high price (it's the highest price I've spent on a single compressor plugin) for few reasons :

- Difference with "clean comp" (DC8C, Kotelnikov which are kings for me) is very subtle. DC8C and Kotel can preserve more transients as they are extrememy respectful to the source. Although listen to the stereo field with this one. It is where they differ to me. The difference is more obvious on mixbus.

- I was after a good mixbus comp in plugins form for a little while. I never really was that much into mixbus compression with plugins. Whereas I can really love the effect of it with nice outboard.
I remember liked some new Acustica release but hated the CPU hits and sometimes the weird behavior. This one act very well in comparison and is SUPER CPU light. Which for me is amazing ! In my opinion and test, it beated the Acustica Ivory comp I got (I think this bundle has phase issue but that's OT). So regarding the CPU hits and performance, this compressor was just what I needed.

Now it is expensive, it is always hard to justify such an expense regarding the plugins market in terms of compressor (PA doing crazy 29/49 deals, Waves, amazing cheap tools such as TDR, Klanghelm, Fuse Audio Labs etc...). So I get your point.
Compare it again against your favorite. I will suggest to try on mixbus.
For me it finally get me and I bought it. I am know able to recognize a little bit "its" sound when I use it to compress a bit more a pop vocal for instance. And it's my go-to for mixbus compression. I think that the ratio sound quality/CPU hits is where it truly shines.
I can still feel it is a software compressor sometimes, it still aliases quite a bit too on some occasions (don't kill me it's a fact, doesn't mean I am bashing it). But regarding software it was good enough for me.
Will it replaces my favorite outboard comp for mixbus ? Def not. But it is now my main mixbus comp software.
Now it's really up to your taste .
Old 5th June 2019
  #992
Lives for gear
 
jfjer's Avatar
Is over sampling something Vertigo Sound might do for theyre plugins in the future ?
Old 5th June 2019
  #993
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
Is over sampling something Vertigo Sound might do for theyre plugins in the future ?
I'm pretty sure they do it already, and do it well.
Old 6th June 2019
  #994
Gear Head
Just demoed this on drums and percussion loops vs PA VSC-2 on max settings... No contest
Vsc-2 chokes and pumps like a sumo fighter in line for triple cheeseburger.
Mr. Vertigo Sound please make the GUI resizable, like VSE-2, I want to buy this plugin and use it on my laptop
Old 6th June 2019
  #995
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directed View Post
Just demoed this on drums and percussion loops vs PA VSC-2 on max settings... No contest
VSC-2 chokes and pumps like a sumo fighter in line for triple cheeseburger.
Mr. Vertigo Sound please make the GUI resizable, like VSE-2, I want to buy this plugin and use it on my laptop
Ya gotta click the Vertigo logo on the left hand side and choose between 125%, 100%, 75% and 60%
Old 6th June 2019
  #996
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directed View Post
Just demoed this on drums and percussion loops vs PA VSC-2 on max settings... No contest
VSC-2 chokes and pumps like a sumo fighter in line for triple cheeseburger.
Mr. Vertigo Sound please make the GUI resizable, like VSE-2, I want to buy this plugin and use it on my laptop
The VSC3 Plugin is resizeable...Click onto the LOGO.
Old 6th June 2019
  #997
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
Is over sampling something Vertigo Sound might do for theyre plugins in the future ?
We already do depending on the sample rate
Old 7th June 2019
  #998
Has anyone tried The new VST3 version of VSC-3 and VSE-2 with Cubase 9.5 and/or Cubase 10 on a Mac (I’m running Sierra). The original vst2 version was always Blacklisted so I’m wondering if the new VST3 version passes without being Blacklisted. Thanks
Old 12th June 2019
  #999
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgeorge View Post
Has anyone tried The new VST3 version of VSC-3 and VSE-2 with Cubase 9.5 and/or Cubase 10 on a Mac (I’m running Sierra). The original vst2 version was always Blacklisted so I’m wondering if the new VST3 version passes without being Blacklisted. Thanks
It was not blacklisted on my system. If you install the 32 bit version it will be definitely blacklisted.
Anyway the Blacklist does not say anything about how stable a plugin works.
Andy
Old 12th June 2019
  #1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo Sound View Post
It was not blacklisted on my system. If you install the 32 bit version it will be definitely blacklisted.
Anyway the Blacklist does not say anything about how stable a plugin works.
Andy
Thanks Any. Two things. Are there separate VST3 plugin versions for 32 bit and 64 bit?

Are you testing Cubase 10 on a Mac or PC?
Old 12th June 2019
  #1001
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgeorge View Post
Thanks Any. Two things. Are there separate VST3 plugin versions for 32 bit and 64 bit?

Are you testing Cubase 10 on a Mac or PC?
Tested both. On Pc you can choose between
32 and 64bit.
Anyway just try it. If it should be blacklisted just remove it.
Old 28th June 2019
  #1002
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
One thing i love (using it now ) is the knob mouse scroll resolution : AMEN !! dude i can't recall getting super frustrated with plugins that can 't let you level match fast cause of bad knob design !! i'm actually testing heavily with TC radar to level match via loudness perception and it's some seriuous work in some plugin , and sometime near impossible witn stuff like the 33609 !! (hate the gain , design love the sound)
yeah indeed thats a good point! just asked myself if i should go for the 33609 as i really like the sound. is there anything like it?
maybe just committing by ear and try to get there with level balance?
def a pity uad is not doing a updated version with better gain staging possibilities!
Old 28th June 2019
  #1003
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiin View Post
yeah indeed thats a good point! just asked myself if i should go for the 33609 as i really like the sound. is there anything like it?
maybe just committing by ear and try to get there with level balance?
def a pity uad is not doing a updated version with better gain staging possibilities!
Personnaly i was talking about the ik multimedia one but same issue with 2db stepped knobs ...hate that. I undertand in real world but in didgital it makes ZERO sens to not have intemediate values ..
Old 28th June 2019
  #1004
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Personnaly i was talking about the ik multimedia one but same issue with 2db stepped knobs ...hate that. I undertand in real world but in didgital it makes ZERO sens to not have intemediate values ..
One of the reasons I don't like using Iron! Makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 28th June 2019
  #1005
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
One of the reasons I don't like using Iron! Makes no sense whatsoever.
Exact ... i still use it cause it s superb , but on stuff like busses , where it s the last daw gain stage before master , i sometime dont compensate volume loss on compression on purpose

Last edited by Jeezo; 30th June 2019 at 01:39 PM..
Old 30th June 2019
  #1006
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
This could become one of the first plug-ins to sell a lot of the hardware that it modeled!
The problem is that the plug surpasses the hardware so people will be disappointed.

I had a hardware VSC-2 and ended up selling it. It shaves too much off the low end and the highest sidechain filter setting isn't enough at 90hz for it. I used to use it on drum bus and had to always throw a pair of pultecs after it to make up for the low end I lost. I never put it on masterbus because I don't need anything shaving low end off the masterbus. The fact that it also lacks a sidechain insert doesn't help the situation because it could be remedied by putting an EQ in the sidechain.

When they released the VSC-3 my ears perked up because I thought they had made a legitimate successor to the VSC-2 and fixed the shortcomings of the VSC-2, but alas, they stuck to the anemic 60 and 90hz sidechain settings and still no sidechain insert. They added some features but not enough to really make it a successor - it's more of an incremental upgrade.

At the very least, if they were gonna stick with 2 sidechain settings, 90hz and 180 hz would have been much, much better and a lot more useful.

Anyway, $5000 for a compressor that shaves off low end and isn't useful on masterbus, drum bus, bass, or anything with low end that you want to keep, is too much money. The plug surpasses the hardware in giving you higher sidechain settings (and the wet dry knob is nice, too.) This is one of those situations where the plug is what the hardware should have been.

Anyway, when you try the hardware, you might be let down if you don't take these restrictions into account. At the very least, restrict yourself to no more than the 90hz sidechain setting in the plug. At any time, if you feel the urge to push the sidechain setting higher, that's where you'd bang your head on the hardware.

I actually got around to getting this installed and working, and it absolutely kills my gas for the hardware since it nails the sound (or at least it does of my VSC-2) and is more functional than the hardware (or rather reminds you how limited the hardware is, especially in light of the cost).

Not sure if I'm buying it yet, but it does sound good.

Either that, or maybe I'll wait it out and hope for VSC-4 hardware that fixes these flaws in the design.
Old 30th June 2019
  #1007
Lives for gear
I wish VSC-3 had an input trim at least. When I work with -18dBFS, the threshold often can't touch the signal even at minimum setting, so I had to put an utility plugin before it to add gain and then utility after to reduce to -18dBFS.
Old 30th June 2019
  #1008
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcct View Post
I wish VSC-3 had an input trim at least. When I work with -18dBFS, the threshold often can't touch the signal even at minimum setting, so I had to put an utility plugin before it to add gain and then utility after to reduce to -18dBFS.
Even on “low gain” setting in the advanced panel? If so then you are running very very low signal. Press on vertigo logo and check the low treshold.
Old 30th June 2019
  #1009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
Even on “low gain” setting in the advanced panel? If so then you are running very very low signal. Press on vertigo logo and check the low treshold.
Okay, didn't know there is any advanced panel :-) Will check in the evening! Thanks
Old 1st July 2019
  #1010
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
The problem is that the plug surpasses the hardware so people will be disappointed.

I had a hardware VSC-2 and ended up selling it. It shaves too much off the low end and the highest sidechain filter setting isn't enough at 90hz for it. I used to use it on drum bus and had to always throw a pair of pultecs after it to make up for the low end I lost. I never put it on masterbus because I don't need anything shaving low end off the masterbus. The fact that it also lacks a sidechain insert doesn't help the situation because it could be remedied by putting an EQ in the sidechain.

When they released the VSC-3 my ears perked up because I thought they had made a legitimate successor to the VSC-2 and fixed the shortcomings of the VSC-2, but alas, they stuck to the anemic 60 and 90hz sidechain settings and still no sidechain insert. They added some features but not enough to really make it a successor - it's more of an incremental upgrade.

At the very least, if they were gonna stick with 2 sidechain settings, 90hz and 180 hz would have been much, much better and a lot more useful.

Anyway, $5000 for a compressor that shaves off low end and isn't useful on masterbus, drum bus, bass, or anything with low end that you want to keep, is too much money. The plug surpasses the hardware in giving you higher sidechain settings (and the wet dry knob is nice, too.) This is one of those situations where the plug is what the hardware should have been.

Anyway, when you try the hardware, you might be let down if you don't take these restrictions into account. At the very least, restrict yourself to no more than the 90hz sidechain setting in the plug. At any time, if you feel the urge to push the sidechain setting higher, that's where you'd bang your head on the hardware.

I actually got around to getting this installed and working, and it absolutely kills my gas for the hardware since it nails the sound (or at least it does of my VSC-2) and is more functional than the hardware (or rather reminds you how limited the hardware is, especially in light of the cost).

Not sure if I'm buying it yet, but it does sound good.

Either that, or maybe I'll wait it out and hope for VSC-4 hardware that fixes these flaws in the design.
Hi,

just want you to know that hardware customers have the option to change the frequency set up of the SC Filter. Also if you look at the SC Filter closely the 90 Hz setting already starts at 200Hz. This gentle curve starting at 200 and -3dB at 90Hz is caused by the fact it`s a 6dB/octave filter. On other compressor you find higher frequencies because these are equipped with 12 dB/octave filters. I prefer the more gentle 6dB/octave curve because you do not loose the low end compression at a certain point suddenly. So it`s not a design flaw - i did it this way on purpose. In my opinion a too high SC Filter frequency can cause quite some problems later on because most of the time you don`t want to run the low end thru unprocessed. For some styles of music and situations that might make sense - so i happy to modify to 100 and 200 e.G.
Andy
Old 2nd July 2019
  #1011
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
This could become one of the first plug-ins to sell a lot of the hardware that it modeled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo Sound View Post
Hi,

just want you to know that hardware customers have the option to change the frequency set up of the SC Filter. Also if you look at the SC Filter closely the 90 Hz setting already starts at 200Hz. This gentle curve starting at 200 and -3dB at 90Hz is caused by the fact it`s a 6dB/octave filter. On other compressor you find higher frequencies because these are equipped with 12 dB/octave filters. I prefer the more gentle 6dB/octave curve because you do not loose the low end compression at a certain point suddenly. So it`s not a design flaw - i did it this way on purpose. In my opinion a too high SC Filter frequency can cause quite some problems later on because most of the time you don`t want to run the low end thru unprocessed. For some styles of music and situations that might make sense - so i happy to modify to 100 and 200 e.G.
Andy
Lol I was hoping you'd tell me to f**k off and instead you respond telling me you can mod the sidechain on the hardware. Why do you want to hurt me like this?

GAS factor just shot into space. I need to scan my rack and see what's sellable. We might be talking very soon.
Old 4th July 2019
  #1012
Gear Head
 

@ Vertigo Sound : now please come up with your own take on the VSM-2
Old 8th July 2019
  #1013
Gear Nut
 
lb9000j's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo Sound View Post
Hi All,

Hows everyone enjoying the VSC-3?
Demo was really, really good.... I wanted not to like it.
I think I was one of the first to ever use the VSC-2. Nobody ever knew what it was lol. Now this one is a different animal but similar enough.
sidenote - your PA VSM-3 is a must have jewel if used properly.

When is the next sale for the VSC-3?
Old 8th July 2019
  #1014
Lives for gear
Honey moon's been over for a while now and it has never left my 2buss (on my own production). Found its way on several mastering sessions as well. What a lovely beast

Last edited by nil hartman; 8th July 2019 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 8th July 2019
  #1015
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
As you know a lot of new comp i tested , bougth and loved and the VSC 3 is still on my top 3 depednong on scenraios and number 1 when it comes to preserve or enhance soundstage presentation ..
Old 8th July 2019
  #1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
As you know a lot of new comp i tested , bougth and loved and the VSC 3 is still on my top 3 depednong on scenraios and number 1 when it comes to preserve or enhance soundstage presentation ..
What is the other two?
Old 8th July 2019
  #1017
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgeorge View Post
What is the other two?
Those are moving chairs basically with the VSC 3 being the constant , it depends on scenrios but for me Arousor is another beast , the only problem with it is that it's so versatyle that uneducated cats can get lost real fast ...or derail fast ....

I'm planning a video on my fav stuff in my plugin folder (not to show what i love , since i don't think at all my voice is legit enougth to be as presamptuous to say to people : i use this so you should
but just to explain WHY i use this and not that , and when
Old 8th July 2019
  #1018
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Those are moving chairs basically with the VSC 3 being the constant , it depends on scenrios but for me Arousor is another beast , the only problem with it is that it's so versatyle that uneducated cats can get lost real fast ...or derail fast ....

I'm planning a video on my fav stuff in my plugin folder (not to show what i love , since i don't think at all my voice is legit enougth to be as presamptuous to say to people : i use this so you should
but just to explain WHY i use this and not that , and when
I want to see that video!

Also still using VSC3 regularly over here. It’s my go to option for general duty compression. Not colored compression stuff, or super clean stuff, but rather the range in between.

What really continues to impress me with it is how easy it is to dial in every time!
Old 8th July 2019
  #1019
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
I want to see that video!

Also still using VSC3 regularly over here. It’s my go to option for general duty compression. Not colored compression stuff, or super clean stuff, but rather the range in between.

What really continues to impress me with it is how easy it is to dial in every time!
Exact , one of the first test i did with the shadow hills is to test it versus AR 1 , MDE , Spl iron and the vsc 3

The vsc 3 had the most depth , the mde had that sense of respectfull display of sound with a little more groove , but less glue ...the shadow between those , groove , glue , a depth but less depth than vsc 3 less groove than AR 1 and glue as than the iron ...what i saying is that all those are usuefull , top notch stuff according to the situation...

I would use the AR 1 on drums for exemple , Shadow or mde ô vocals and instruments , vsc 3 on master bus..


All to say that last releases are superbe ... and like in the hw world , those are options ...

And i could do a mix with only one of those ....
Old 8th July 2019
  #1020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodakell View Post
Oh, ok. It didn’t say anything about that on their website so I assumed 149 was the standard price. But sheesh 289? That’s gonna be tough to justify. Yikes. Guess I might need to demo now and think more seriously about this then since I’m surely not willing to spend that 289 on it.
I always wait for price then demo when it makes since price wise if it is a plugin I think I'm interested in. Sometimes that might mean waiting for a big sale or a nice monthly voucher. Even with that in mind, I became a heavy hitter waaay too fast.....
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump