The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Solid State Logic announce the launch of SiX - The Ultimate Desktop Mixer
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

The beginning of the end.... what a wonderful time.
Old 17th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
ok its time for someone to sum 12 ch through a 9000 and a 6, with the buss comp set the same..lets hear it!
You might be disappointed.

We did something similar at our spot comparing bounces from:

- the x-desk
- an AWS916
- a DDA DMR12
- pro tools io daw bounce
- chandler mini mixer
- fulcrum with 2 BAE 1073 pres
- and a few others.

I know some of you might not want to hear it... but the SSL strong point is the routing, EQ, and Compression.

It’s not summing. These consoles DON’T have “mojo”, and the stereo imaging is comparable to any other analog board.

It sounded similar to the DDA. We preferred the Chandler. THAT THING HAS BALLS.

Buy this new SSL for all the cool things it does do well, but don’t expect it to transform your mix via summing. Even the big SSLs don’t do that with summing.

I’d be surprised if anyone could tell the difference between 12 channels summed via the Six vs and AWS in a blind a/b test, but I promise you could pick out the Chandler.
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
Buy this new SSL for all the cool things it does do well, but don’t expect it to transform your mix via summing. Even the big SSLs don’t do that with summing.

I’d be surprised if anyone could tell the difference between 12 channels summed via the Six vs and AWS in a blind a/b test, but I promise you could pick out the Chandler.
So strictly speaking on SSLs, you do think the SiX's summing holds up well against it's older siblings?
Old 17th April 2019
Quote:

- the x-desk
- an AWS916
- a DDA DMR12
- chandler mini mixer
- and a few others.

I know some of you might not want to hear it... but the SSL strong point is the routing, EQ, and Compression.

It’s not summing. These consoles DON’T have “mojo”, and the stereo imaging is comparable to any other analog board.

wow! thanks for that!
Old 17th April 2019
Lives for gear

I had a chance to play around with this unit at NAB last week. Solid build IMO. Very slick design.
Old 17th April 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:

- the x-desk
- an AWS916
- a DDA DMR12
- chandler mini mixer
- and a few others.

So I take it the SSL summing might be desirable to someone who has tons of mojo pieces throughout their mixing chain?
Old 17th April 2019
I'm surprised if anyone didn't know that the summing will be ultimate linear fidelity straight wire with gain. I wonder if all the Waves NLS and Steven Slate genre of distorting plugins have had an effect on a lot of people's expectations about what to desire from mixing gear. Like, you need something that is based on a mythical name from the past and which audibly changes the sound? I think if you read SSL's own marketing about their gear a very different picture emerges than that which accompanies the 892 different SSL channelstrip plugin emulations.
Old 17th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
So I take it the SSL summing might be desirable to someone who has tons of mojo pieces throughout their mixing chain?
Sure.

It looks like an awesome tool for a small studio. I hope no one got the impression that I’m not impressed with what it does. The features for the price are remarkable!

I’d love to have one for a small home setup.

If you have a bunch of outboard, and want a clean, professional signal path, it might be a great option.
Old 17th April 2019
Fantastic for tracking and overdub sessions too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Looking to pick 2 of these up for audio stations that can be used for video post production and some overdubbing/voiceover work.

How is the build quality? Do you think that they will last 3-5 years in a commercial environment of daily use?

Last edited by smackmastering; 4 weeks ago at 06:34 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackmastering View Post
Looking to pick 2 of these up for audio stations that can be used for video post production and some overdubbing/voiceover work.

How is the build quality? Do you think that they will last 3-5 years in a commercial environment of daily use?
The build quality is top notch, very heavy unit, and the knobs and faders are real pro grade components. Its also very quiet in signal operation. I think you’ll be satisfied with this as a production piece.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Question: Seems like a competent small console, perfect for me but how do the micpre stand up agains my aurora GTQC, i know of cause there´s a more options with the Aurora, but soundwise? How well will it perform regarding vocaltracking?

THX

Last edited by DCommand; 4 weeks ago at 08:36 AM.. Reason: MicPre?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCommand View Post
Question: Seems like a competent small console, perfect for me but how do the micpre stand up agains my aurora GTQC, i know of cause there´s a more options with the Aurora, but soundwise? How well will it perform regarding vocaltracking?

THX
Preamp quality is subjective, but the SSL preamp could sound “bland” in comparison to the color of the Aurora. I find both flavors useful depending on the scenario. For my lead rap vocals, I’d choose the Aurora pre. If I had to chose the unit with more overall value, I’d go with the SiX. The simple EQ and compressor are quite nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
I did a preamp comparison session with SSL SuperAnalogue pres, Phoenix DRS, and Neve Portico on acoustic guitar. I liked the Phoenix but prefered the SSL. The Neve I promptly sold. I personally don't necessarily prefer a low mid bump and a slightly compressed, pushed sound. If I record something my worry is not capturing the details and nuance of the performance or getting a skewed frequency response. The SSL pres are excellent if that's how you feel. In these forums, gear that distorts seems to be de rigueur.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustusarnone View Post
In these forums, gear that distorts seems to be de rigueur.
Yeah "distorts the truth"

It's like a photographer choosing filters, sometimes you need soft focus and photoshop to create a larger than life illusion.

I like having the choice of clean honest sounding gear and gear that lies through its teeth :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Yes, well said. But you're someone using tools for artistic purposes. The inexperienced person putting tape plugins on every track and buying something just cause it has a tube in it just has to have that sounds like a record sound, lol.
Old 4 weeks ago
Pre amps are horses for courses. For a lot of vocals a Neve 1073 style Pre with that thick low and low mids works to add weight and authority to a voice (of course also depends on the mic style also). For Bass and maybe Kicks, 1073 style can also be useful if you want to push into distortion in the mids which can help the track cut through the mix by adding harmonics. For other instruments such as Acoustic Guitar, maybe a cleaner tube Pre can work better to add a little colour but maintain a balanced recording.

SSL Pre's tend to be on the clean side, as they are more intended for mixing and not getting in the way, or adding a stamp to the track. As presumably you've already captured or added the mojo at the recording stage.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Ordered 2, one to live in a video production space and the other to live in my backpack!

Can't wait to get them! Had an X-Desk a few years ago. Sold it off because it wasn't mobile enough for me. Hopefully the Six will fit my remote needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackmastering View Post

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Got my today,Holy Crap must be the best piece of gear i´ve ever owned for that kind of money
Old 3 weeks ago
Lud
Gear Addict

Is this possible to remove the side panels to fit the console in a desk between racks?
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Logic announce the launch of SiX - The Ultimate Desktop Mixer-ssl-six-desk.png   Solid State Logic announce the launch of SiX - The Ultimate Desktop Mixer-recording-desk.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search