The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nembrini Audio New FREE Vintage Clipper plugin
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceover Guy View Post
Hi manic. All old music and retro-produced music has a unique top end that could be referred to as 'dull' by some people so its not a myth?

To my understanding, high frequency roll-off and compression occurs naturally in *all* tube gear as part of the physics. Maybe an expert can comment.
Tube gear can pass audio signal sin a very dynamic way without any noticeable roll-off. Using good quality components in a well-designed circuit can have a noticeable roll-off several octaves beyond the hearing range, I've seen a graph of a tube amplifier that had a slight roll-off around 200kHz.
Some tube boxes (and solid state also) have a limited bandwith that is clearly audible, due to capacitor selection, cheap transformers and lots more. But the Drip 175b vari-mu compressor I built several years ago also sounded very clear.

Adding so much high end is very popular nowadays, even with modern solid state and digital gear lots of productions have pronounced and clear highs.
Old 14th March 2019
Nice little free plugin. Haven't A/B'd it to the old Digi Lofi, but it "feels" the same to me, at least on the kick and snare tracks I've put it on. The output control is a very welcome addition, as is the absence of all the clutter on the Digi plug (in the form of additional controls).

Thanks for the freebie
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Head

Windows 10 updated. Started my DAW (REAPER) then the plugin needed to authorize again, so I input the code and it says 'the code redemption limit has been reached -enter a different code'. Tried again and it crashed my DAW.

UPDATE: It appears the latest Windows 10 update deactivates certain copy protection, so you will have to re-authorize.
So far ILOK Cloud and Plugin Alliance are the ones notably affected.
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Maybe an expert can comment.
You were actually already in discussions with the expert Not many people around here with more knowledge than bmanic! FWIW - the plugin may well achieve it’s original intentions to mimic the Avid Lo-Fi but if I had any piece of high end tube gear which rolled off like this saturation knob, it’d be straight in for a service!!

Obviously this isn’t meant for the more hi-fi applications but some of us want ‘more’ because it sounds so good and could be even more globally useful. Not that we have any right to demand anything of a (currently) free product. Thanks for this btw!
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Addict

Made account, ordered, downloaded installer. But no activation code ? Or am i missing something ?
Old 15th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dione View Post
Made account, ordered, downloaded installer. But no activation code ? Or am i missing something ?
The code is in the (third, after the the account creation and order confirmation) email.

Would be great if the codes were also visible in the user account area.

Last edited by rhysmix; 15th March 2019 at 01:25 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmix View Post
The code is in the (third, after the the account creation and order confirmation) email.

Would be great if there the codes were also visible in the user account area.
Nope, nothing. I'll wait a bit to see if i get another e-mail...

Bu thanx for your answer
Old 15th March 2019
Here for the gear

hi,
But no activation code ?
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Maniac
My emails also have not indicated an activation code. It does say in the email:

In order to use some of the products in this order you will require the following license keys:

but then there is no actual key provided.
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorock View Post
My emails also have not indicated an activation code. It does say in the email:

In order to use some of the products in this order you will require the following license keys:

but then there is no actual key provided.
Yep, same thing here...
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yep, same thing here...
... and same here
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear
Seems they’re out of (iLok) serials. Similar thread at KVR.
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Tone control or mix control, or both, pretty please. The distortion that it does sounds cool, but hard to make full use of it like this.

Also, it fails my Logic plugin eval (Logic 10.3.3) at the minute, have to force it in and it ends up on the undesirables list .......

However, thank you for a great sounding plugin that will hopefully be very useable in the near future!
Please Karloff70 could you send a detailed mail at ours support service Contact – Nembrini Audio

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythehit View Post
hi,
But no activation code ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler View Post
... and same here
Yes guys sorry, the licenses server drop for a couple of hours, please send a mail to the support with your order number and the iLok id
Contact – Nembrini Audio
Old 15th March 2019
Here for the gear

I messaged support and got a license really quickly.
Old 15th March 2019
RPH
Gear Head

Cheers for the freebie, activation went fine.
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
You were actually already in discussions with the expert Not many people around here with more knowledge than bmanic! FWIW - the plugin may well achieve it’s original intentions to mimic the Avid Lo-Fi but if I had any piece of high end tube gear which rolled off like this saturation knob, it’d be straight in for a service!!
Of course, if any high end tube gear rolled off like this saturation knob, it’d be straight in for a service with me too !

I didn't intend to say anything against bmanic or his knowledge! -that's not my intention - or imply all tube gear sounds dark.
Apologies bmanic, I genuinely didn't mean to question your expertise.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about (I'm not an engineer) but music from that era (50's/60's) does have a unique top end that could be considered 'muffled'. I always took part of that sound to be what others have called 'top end compression roll-off'. Perhaps I was misinformed. I'm happy to be corrected with the right facts as it would de-mystify things.
Since those tape vintage machines (Studer etc.) have a frequency capture of over 20Khz, those old masters don't have anywhere near that level of modern top-end so I wonder what is at play besides tubes?

What I mean in regards to this plugin is that '50's 60's sound' which is less-top end rich, is hard to achieve in a natural-sounding way but this plugin does it really well. The Saturation settings of 0.1 to around 0.5 are the most useful in this respect, and for this effect to work, that roll-off is vital and it does it in a very natural-sounding way. Followed by a boost from a vintage EQ or channel strip like the REDD 17, it sounds retro-authentic. It gets me closer to achieving that 'sound'.
Like I said I'm not an engineer so everything helps!
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Maniac

I was eager to try this but I do not have (nor do I want) a hardware iLok and I cannot guarantee a constant internet connection. Maybe one day Nembrini will change their minds and allow machine activation but of course this is their choice. Until then I can't use their products.
Old 15th March 2019
RPH
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange loop View Post
I was eager to try this but I do not have (nor do I want) a hardware iLok and I cannot guarantee a constant internet connection.
I don't have a hardware iLok, software only..works fine.
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange loop View Post
I cannot guarantee a constant internet connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPH View Post
I don't have a hardware iLok, software only..works fine.
IF you have a constant internet connection.
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Head

I'm getting nags for activation, after each reboot even though it's activated. I have to go through a cycle of activating, being told my code number is in use, then doing this several times before cloud activation appears.

Sorry Nembrini, this isn't practical. I'm avoiding use until either the copy protection changes or I find an alternative.
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm getting nags for activation, after each reboot even though it's activated. I have to go through a cycle of activating, being told my code number is in use, then doing this several times before cloud activation appears.
I read up on iLok Cloud and it says you have to start a cloud session in iLok Manager (once you've already used the activation code you can do this.) I wonder if this does not persist across reboots?

I already uninstalled the plugin so I can't confirm but that sounds like a possible reason.
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear
Couldn't get it to work here. Says it "doesn't allow activation to this location" - my ilok. Never seen that before.
Old 16th March 2019
Gee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
Couldn't get it to work here. Says it "doesn't allow activation to this location" - my ilok. Never seen that before.
Same thing happened to me. You have to open up a cloud session then close the cloud session. then You can put it on your physical ilok. Never got an explanation why this happened but the ilok people cleared it up for me.

As for the plug. It’s cool. A mix knob would bake it more useful (at least make me use it on more tracks)
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear
Just downloaded and briefly tested this. It sounds great!
I agree with those that have suggested adjusting the scaling of the knobs so it doesn't go into crazy overdrive distortion so soon. That said, the extreme overdrive actually sounds pretty good for what it is (after you reduce the output of course).
But the more subtle settings sound really nice to me so far.
It's great for getting rid of bad sounding high end without having to use an eq or a filter. You can reduce high end and give the sound a little character at the same time.
Of course I wouldn't use this on everything but for some elements it will be very useful.
Thanks for the nice gift!
Old 16th March 2019
Lives for gear

I absolutely love the sound this plugin generates. And its good as it is now - if I need lighter saturation, I use plugins lije Character or Nomad Magnetc II.
Nembrini Vintage Clipper sounds totally different, than e. g. the Sountoys or Eventide saturators. Its simpler than FF Saturn or PSP Vintage Warmer, and gets different tonal harmonies out of the audio material, than any of the above mentioned. Well done!
Old 17th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Hey, look at this comparison with ProTools’s Lo-Fi plugin, they’re pretty close: YouTube

Even the layout and the value range match, which is intriguing..
Old 17th March 2019
Lives for gear

This is potentially very cool for me. I've been chasing what the Digidesign LoFi plug-in does since I stopped using Protools as my goto DAW. I've mentioned it before on this forum, but there's a trick with the saturation knob where amounts of 0.3 or less ( on the original Digi one ) are uniquely effective at controlling unwanted transients like the stick click on a ride or cowbell or excessive pick noise on an acoustic guitar.

I haven't had a chance to test if it works the same, but the video above looks very promising.

Pretty exciting that I'll be able to pull this off in any DAW now. I actually bought Oeksound Spiff earlier this year to be able to do this. No regrets as that can do so much more.

Vintage plug-ins are here !
Old 17th March 2019
Lives for gear

Unfortunately for me, the Nembrini plug-in does not treat transients the same when saturating as the Digidesign one. I've got an overhead recording I saved that shows the 'sticky' problem quite clearly. The Nembrini was not able to soften the stick attack transient like the Digi one can.

To be fair, what I'm looking for from the plug-in is pretty niche so I'm sure it's still going to be really useful for most people for general distortion and saturation.
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear
So no Ilok Manager eh?
Old 18th March 2019
Gear Maniac

It would be good if everyone who isn't interested in hardware iLok or iLok Cloud let Nembrini know this will stop them purchasing future products or recommending Nembrini products - I was going to tell people about this one but I know that my friends will have the same attitude to iLok that I do - if it doesn't work with machine activation we won't be using it. I already wrote to their support the day I installed. Their response was the same as here (which is why I immediately uninstalled) but if a lot of people write in they may reconsider.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search