The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Antelope Audio ships EDGE GO bus-powered modeling microphone with integrated effects
Old 27th February 2019
Company Rep

Antelope Audio ships EDGE GO bus-powered modeling microphone with integrated effects

Greetings from Antelope Audio!

We’d like to introduce one of our latest products to Gearslutz - Edge Go. It’s the first USB microphone to feature mic and effects modeling. The timeless sounds of rare and expensive classic microphone and gear, heard on thousands of records, are now within your reach.

Essentially, Edge Go is a studio in a mic and it’s meant to serve all kinds of content creators, such as musicians, vloggers, streamers, podcasters, etc. Edge Go is shipping now at $1595.

KEY PRODUCT FEATURES

• Studio-grade large-diaphragm condenser microphone
• Bus-powered over USB C (USB Type-A compatible)
• Accurately models the world’s finest studio condenser microphones
• Latency-free monitoring and recording with on-board effects processing
• Switchable polar patterns (cardioid, figure 8, omni and everything in between)
• High-end AD conversion
• 3.5mm headphone jack
• Easy and intuitive software control panel
• Presets done by top studio professionals

ON-BOARD AUDIO PROCESSING

Antelope Audio's highly advanced FPGA FX platform is fully integrated in Edge Go. Our vast collection of microphone and effects models run inside the mic, freeing up your computer's resources and eliminating latency.

12 MICS IN ONE. AND COUNTING.

With Antelope Audio's premium mic modeling technology, the Edge Go can pick up the personality and characteristics of almost any condenser microphone. Just like you, we shoot for the stars. So we went on to recreate nothing but resolute studio classics from all over the world - Germany, Japan, England, Austria, America. Each microphone was meticulously analysed and measured in Europe's finest facility, then brought to life digitally with the power of FPGA processing.

HEAR THE PAST. IN REAL TIME.

The Edge Go is a complete studio fit into a desktop mic. Play around with true-to-life microphone and preamp models. Explore the coveted sounds of iconic and highly sought-after equalizers and compressors. Add reverb for a sense of space and tape saturation for vintage warmth. Remove breaths and pops with PowerGate. It's all there for you, taking up zero computing resources and happening in real time.

EASY PANEL

Controlling the Edge Go from your computer is as easy and intuitive as operating the mic itself. Getting around the software control panel is a breeze, and so is loading effects, adjusting parameters, and browsing presets. You don't need any studio experience - though we do encourage you to read, experiment, and use the Edge Go as a learning tool to develop producer chops.

SPECIFICATIONS

Microphone type: Large diaphragm condenser microphone
Diaphragm: Double-sided 6u gold-sputtered membranes
Diaphragm diameter: 34mm
Polar pattern: Multi-pattern (cardioid, figure-8, omnidirectional)
Frequency response: 20HZ ~ 20kHZ
Self-noise: 19dB(A)
SNR: 75dB(A)
Headphone output DAC: SNR 112 dB
Microphone ADC: 117 dB
Max. SPL: 116dB
Power requirements: 5V/500mA
USB connector: USB Type-C (USB 2.0 compatible)
Headphone output – 1/8” (3.5 mm) stereo jack
Color: Black matte
Weight (mic body): 1.21 lbs (550 grams)
Dimensions (mic body): 8.6″ x 2.1″ (219mm x 53mm)

In The Box
• Edge Go microphone
• USB Type C cable
• Shock mount
• Pop filter
• Desktop stand

Find out more: Edge Go | Antelope Audio
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Maniac
This seems to be the most forward looking product within the modeling microphone category. Everything built into the mic.
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Cool concept!

Will it be compatible with mobile devices?

Does it use the same software that the other Antelope interfaces use? I forget what it is called, but it's the software that you must open in order to get to the interface software. It opens up and connects to a remote server for updates and then you have to click on something else to open the software to control the interface.

If the software is different, are there any features on the Edge Go that are missing or new in comparison to your other interfaces and modeling mics?

When will there be a demo video that shows the end-to-end process?
Old 5th March 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
Cool concept!

Will it be compatible with mobile devices?

Does it use the same software that the other Antelope interfaces use? I forget what it is called, but it's the software that you must open in order to get to the interface software. It opens up and connects to a remote server for updates and then you have to click on something else to open the software to control the interface.

If the software is different, are there any features on the Edge Go that are missing or new in comparison to your other interfaces and modeling mics?

When will there be a demo video that shows the end-to-end process?
Dear dragonfly66,

Thank you for your interest in the Edge Go!

The Edge Go utilises the Antelope Launcher which makes sure that your device is running with the latest drivers and Control Panel to ensure smooth operation and best experience. In this regard, the Launcher is available only on macOS and Windows and not for mobile operating systems.

On the other hand, the Edge Go requires 500mA of power to deliver the best in class A/D conversion for bus-powered microphones 24-bit/192kHz. In addition, the microphone carries a mic preamp and FPGA processing chip which need power supply as well.

Please visit the following link for the full list of effects and emulations: Edge Go | Antelope Audio

Stay tuned for an unboxing and product walk-through video!

Cheers!
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the info.

This certainly would be a convenient portable studio, except where do I plug in my electric guitar? LOL. In all seriousness, my suggestion for the second version of the Edge Go or a new product, the Edge GoGo, is to add a 1/4" input that can be line or hi-z.

I owned a Samson G-Track a long time ago and it was an interface, with a mic and instrument input plus the headphone output. The perfect setup, albeit in a much different price bracket. Even the Apogee One was a nice portable studio with its mic, instrument input and headphone out.

The way Antelope is spitting out new hardware we should have the new Edge GoGo by Christmas right?!

I own the Zen Tour, the Edge, and a couple Verges. The Zen Tour is pretty compact on it own so I wouldn't mind hauling it around with the mic. BUT if I had the GoGo I could leave it at home and have everything I need.

Awesome work!
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

At a $1595 price point, I would hope third party microphone shootouts will be conducted.

Windows 10 only drivers? You do realize a lot of professionals are still running 7...right? Or can these work on 7 as well?

Many of your SoundCloud audio clips are...clipped. The marketing team should get that fixed pronto.

If it can match the quality of the expensive mics it aims to emulate then that is a good price. Especially since it is multi-pattern like the real deal. It is funny to see a consumer grade 3.5mm jack on an expensive mic though!
Old 6th March 2019
Here for the gear

Why wouldn't this work on a MBP from 2011?

I'm also wondering.. will this mic still work in 10/20/30 years?
Most USB mics are cheap so I don't care much about that but at 1600,- I do wonder how future proof this actually is.
Old 6th March 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammynOut View Post
This seems to be the most forward looking product within the modeling microphone category. Everything built into the mic.
Thank you, GrammynOut! Videos, media reviews and user experience notes about the product coming soon!

Cheers!
Old 6th March 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
Thanks for the info.

This certainly would be a convenient portable studio, except where do I plug in my electric guitar? LOL. In all seriousness, my suggestion for the second version of the Edge Go or a new product, the Edge GoGo, is to add a 1/4" input that can be line or hi-z.

I owned a Samson G-Track a long time ago and it was an interface, with a mic and instrument input plus the headphone output. The perfect setup, albeit in a much different price bracket. Even the Apogee One was a nice portable studio with its mic, instrument input and headphone out.

The way Antelope is spitting out new hardware we should have the new Edge GoGo by Christmas right?!

I own the Zen Tour, the Edge, and a couple Verges. The Zen Tour is pretty compact on it own so I wouldn't mind hauling it around with the mic. BUT if I had the GoGo I could leave it at home and have everything I need.

Awesome work!
Hi dragonfly,

Your feedback and ideas are much appreciated and will be considered in future product development. Do you have any other suggestions based on the information on the product page?

How interesting do you find the included FXs? Any particular microphones you use and would like to see emulated?
Old 6th March 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
At a $1595 price point, I would hope third party microphone shootouts will be conducted.

Windows 10 only drivers? You do realize a lot of professionals are still running 7...right? Or can these work on 7 as well?

Many of your SoundCloud audio clips are...clipped. The marketing team should get that fixed pronto.

If it can match the quality of the expensive mics it aims to emulate then that is a good price. Especially since it is multi-pattern like the real deal. It is funny to see a consumer grade 3.5mm jack on an expensive mic though!
Hi doom64,

Thanks for the feedback. Stay tuned for shootout videos for the Edge Go.

Meanwhile, you can check this review by Ask Audio, having in mind that the same modeling technology is shared between the Edge Duo and Edge Go.

How interesting do you find the built-in effects?
Old 6th March 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Champ View Post
Why wouldn't this work on a MBP from 2011?

I'm also wondering.. will this mic still work in 10/20/30 years?
Most USB mics are cheap so I don't care much about that but at 1600,- I do wonder how future proof this actually is.
Hello The_Champ,

We have created the Edge Go as a high quality portable recording solution that aims to help customers capture their inspiration anywhere and record multiple times more than with a traditional setup. Therefore, the value and output you get as recorded material, diversity of emulations and effects will justify the investment.

Of course, we cannot guarantee that USB ports will still be around but maybe future ports will be backwards compatible.

Cheers!
Old 6th March 2019
Company Rep

Greetings!

Here's a quick product video demonstrating the Edge Go's versatility in serving content creators such as streamers, podcasters, vloggers and musicians. We think it turned out beautifully and would love your feedback!

Cheers!
Old 9th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope Audio View Post
Hi dragonfly,

Your feedback and ideas are much appreciated and will be considered in future product development. Do you have any other suggestions based on the information on the product page?

How interesting do you find the included FXs? Any particular microphones you use and would like to see emulated?
For an all in one solution having FX is great, though I don't find the work flow the easiest for tracking or within the DAW. I invested in plugins prior to owning the Antelope product so I still mainly use them and haven't invested much time in the Antelope FX.

I have a non modeling mic that is M269 adjacent so I would like to see that mic in your line up. Because I like ribbon mics I would like to see more of those. I don't have any specific famous ribbon mics to suggest as I have used only cheap ribbons.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
It's amazing how companies are starting to drop windows 7 even before Microsoft has. I'm going through this with BFD3 where an update broke all Win 7 compatibility and they have no intention of fixing it. It works only with windows 10 now so I had to roll back to the version before the update.

We're not even talking about BFD4, as in a new version, but an update to 3.

I'm on windows 7 and have zero intention on moving to 10, especially for a program. Even microsoft is still supporting it for another year and the half.
Old 10th April 2019
Company Rep

Greetings!

Don't miss watching this Edge Go unboxing video done by no one else but Marcel James himself!

Cheers!
Old 22nd April 2019
Company Rep

Hi!

Here's what Production Expert had to say about the Edge Go!

Link to the full review - Production Expert | Testing The New Antelope Audio Edge Go USB Microphone With Built In Emulations
Old 25th May 2019
Gear Maniac

I haven't seen much about this mic recently but I find this an incredibly interesting product. As a way to cut quality vocals on the road with a minimal setup this could be a game changer.

2 questions/suggestions for Antelope

Being that this is USB can/will you make it compatible with iOS devices? I have an Apogee Mic+ but this would be on a whole other level.

Second, and more importantly will you make this a AFX2DAW unit? I realize it's USB but I'm hoping as it's USB-C the speed is there for it. That could make this infinitely more usable.
Old 5th June 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2G View Post
I haven't seen much about this mic recently but I find this an incredibly interesting product. As a way to cut quality vocals on the road with a minimal setup this could be a game changer.

2 questions/suggestions for Antelope

Being that this is USB can/will you make it compatible with iOS devices? I have an Apogee Mic+ but this would be on a whole other level.

Second, and more importantly will you make this a AFX2DAW unit? I realize it's USB but I'm hoping as it's USB-C the speed is there for it. That could make this infinitely more usable.
Hi!

Currently we don't have any plans for drivers for iOS devices and AFX2DAW compatibility, but your questions will be forwarded as feature request to our developers.
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Maniac

I kept trying to figure out what kind of savings in gear you were getting with the Go

Original
Laptop/PC
Power for Laptop/PC
Audio Interface
Power for Audio Interface
XLR cable
Headphones

Go
Laptop/PC
Power for Laptop/PC
USB Cable
Headphones

So it looks like the only difference in the amount of gear is you don't need an audio interface and power for that audio interface. Which is a big deal.
Old 21st August 2019
Gear Maniac

Are there any other videos showing how to use this mic?
I'm interested in knowing if once the recording has been made, can you play it back and change the microphone? the preamp? the compressor? etc? Or once you are done tracking with it, it's just burned in.

Also, what if I started a project with this microphone and then I shared it with a friend. They didn't own this microphone. Are they able to open up the UI and change any of the parameters? or would they need the mic with them. (I understand that if they don't have the mic there is no FPGA processors, but would there still be a way that your CPU could handle some of the changes once a track has been recorded with the mic. Even if it takes a lot of processing power?)

I'm asking because I have a few friends that come over and record some songs with my wife (she sings) and then they take the projects home and add to them at home. If I bought this mic, I wouldn't want to let them take the mic with them in case I needed it for something.
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by siniarch View Post
I'm interested in knowing if once the recording has been made, can you play it back and change the microphone? the preamp? the compressor? etc? Or once you are done tracking with it, it's just burned in.

Also, what if I started a project with this microphone and then I shared it with a friend. They didn't own this microphone. Are they able to open up the UI and change any of the parameters? or would they need the mic with them. (I understand that if they don't have the mic there is no FPGA processors, but would there still be a way that your CPU could handle some of the changes once a track has been recorded with the mic. Even if it takes a lot of processing power?)

I'm asking because I have a few friends that come over and record some songs with my wife (she sings) and then they take the projects home and add to them at home. If I bought this mic, I wouldn't want to let them take the mic with them in case I needed it for something.
No one has an answer to this? Would be nice to know if you could only access the emulations and effects with physical possession of the mic and it being plugged in? if it can be altered by anyone? (I understand when installing the plugins and Antelope Audio software you would need the mic present. But after could you still access it and just use your computer CPU to process effects?
Old 29th August 2019
Company Rep

Arrow Reply to siniarch

Quote:

Quote:
No one has an answer to this? Would be nice to know if you could only access the emulations and effects with physical possession of the mic and it being plugged in? if it can be altered by anyone? (I understand when installing the plugins and Antelope Audio software you would need the mic present. But after could you still access it and just use your computer CPU to process effects?
@siniarch

To answer your question briefly - Yes, it is possible.

It is possible to record only the dry signal coming from the microphone and adjust the emulation afterwards. You have two ways of using the microphone emulations - via the control panel of the Edge Go (this way you can only record the wet signal) and via the native emulations that are provided with the microphone (you will need an iLok to activate them). By using the native emulations, you can actually record the direct and emulation-added signal simultaneously so that you can have a reference track to work with.

However, the effects (not the microphone emulations) can only be used from within the control panel of the microphone and during recording. This is because the FPGA which processes those effects is built into the mic itself and these are not available as native effects.

Regarding the parameters, you can print the emulation on the track before sharing it with your friends. And to be able to adjust the parameters they will need a software key for the native plugin included with the purchase of this microphone. Only this way it will be possible for them to make adjustments using the CPU instead of the FPGA.

For any further information I remain at your disposal.

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited by Dan Antelope Audio; 2nd September 2019 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: adjusted my signature to show on my posts
Old 29th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Thanks so much Dan. That makes sense. For some reason I couldn't find out this information anywhere else.

Q1: Is there a way for my friends to buy the software key for the native plugin so my friend could also take the reference track and play with the emulations on their own studio? Or is it only provided with the mic. meaning I would have to lend them my iLok?

Q2: Let's say I track some vocals with the mic via the Control Panel. I add the BAE-1073 preamp. and choose no Mic emulation. I get that the preamp flavor is burned into the signal, but is it recording both capsules on a stereo track. And can I later use the Native Emulations to change Mic emulations? Or is it recording it as a mono track and everything is burned in?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I don't have a lot of outboard gear, so the thought of the FPGA effects is really appealing, but it would be nice to be able to apply those effects as if I was tracking with that gear, and then later still have the flexibility to play with the Mic emulation.

Thank you.
Old 30th August 2019
Company Rep

Arrow Reply to siniarch

Quote:
Thanks so much Dan. That makes sense. For some reason I couldn't find out this information anywhere else.

Q1: Is there a way for my friends to buy the software key for the native plugin so my friend could also take the reference track and play with the emulations on their own studio? Or is it only provided with the mic. meaning I would have to lend them my iLok?

Q2: Let's say I track some vocals with the mic via the Control Panel. I add the BAE-1073 preamp. and choose no Mic emulation. I get that the preamp flavor is burned into the signal, but is it recording both capsules on a stereo track. And can I later use the Native Emulations to change Mic emulations? Or is it recording it as a mono track and everything is burned in?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I don't have a lot of outboard gear, so the thought of the FPGA effects is really appealing, but it would be nice to be able to apply those effects as if I was tracking with that gear, and then later still have the flexibility to play with the Mic emulation.

Thank you.
Glad I was able to provide more information about our product

The software key is provided only with the purchase of the microphone. However, when you receive the microphone you can email the tech team and I am sure they will be more than happy to issue a second key for your needs. Alternatively, you can lend your iLok to your friends.

The microphone is built and calibrated in a way that the emulation and preamp work sequentially (source -> mic capsule -> mic emulation -> preamp emulation). The dual capsule of the EdgeGo is precisely measured so that the emulation engine can work with the sound and modify it properly.

In theory you can add the emulation afterwards. But the mic preamp will change the character of the sound - thus making the emulation sound unrealistic when you add it in your DAW.

If you have any more questions do not hesitate to ask away, after all that's why we are here.

Cheers!

Last edited by Dan Antelope Audio; 2nd September 2019 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: adjusted my signature to show on my posts
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Yeah, this looks to be really versatile mic. The plugins alone add ton of value

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Just reporting in case anyone is interested.

So I purchased the mic from a user here. Testing it this week. With the included cable it seems to work just fine.

I've tried getting something longer but have issues with it. I got an 18ft cable but it doesn't work at all. Might be the cable (USB-c is tricky because there are many variations of the cable. Some just carry power, others data but are not rated for high speed and there are limitations on the USB protocol which limit the length. Also tried a usb 3 cable extension. That seems to work but it drops off from time to time. Might be the length of the cable.

The few things I had my wife sing into it sounded fantastic. Mind you, it was just the mic emulation without any effects or emulated preamp, etc. But as soon as we heard it back we both had a nice smile on our faces.

Using the mic and headphones is great, but getting it to work with your interface is more difficult. So it you want more than one person to hear it or listen to it through your speakers then it becomes more difficult. With Reaper I e been able to get ASIO4ALL to work as well as another software. (Will update the name later as I'm on my phone)

Protocols is another issue. That software sucks imho. If you change playing engine it has to restart. It gives me issues with ASIO4ALL. It was working before, but now it crashes.

Once I get it all working I'll update everyone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Just did some quick tests with my wife. Probably added too much reverb, but she likes it that way.

1st file and probably our favorite mic emulation for this song with her voice:
Edge Go - emulating Tokyo800T with some Auraverb, no other emulation. Added some compression and reverb after tracking.
https://soundcloud.com/siniarch/best...n-vss3/s-SQkcv

2nd file:
Edge Go - emulating Berlin 67 with some Auraverb, no other emulation. Added some compression and reverb after tracking.
https://soundcloud.com/siniarch/best...n-vss3/s-nsPaJ

Recorded in Reaper. I used a 1/8" Y splitter coming out of the Edge Go mic. One fed her headphone, the other fed a headphone amplifier with 4 outputs. This made it really nice to listen to her feed without any delay. It feels as if the mic is really only setup for a one person use. Splitting the headphone made it easier to not get confused. Before that. I was feeding her the music to the mic headphone output. But if I also wanted to listen to the mic-recording on my interface, it would also feed it to the headphone output (Edge Go USB1 & USB2) so she was hearing herself twice. Once from the mic virtually no delay and the next from Reaper feeding the USB1 & USB2 output of the mic so she can hear the song playing but also mixing in the voice. (I hope this makes sense. Perhaps I didn't think of another way to patch things that it would have been less confusing and avoided that second headphone feed.

I installed the ASIO4ALL driver and selected that in Reaper. This made the 1-8 inputs of my Liquid Saffire 56 as well as the 1-4 inputs of the Edge Go visible to Reaper. And on the output side, it also showed the 1-8 outputs from LS56 as well as the 4 outputs from the Edge Go microphone. Unfortunately in Pro Tools, this cannot be done. If I select ASIO4ALL driver in Pro Tools, it doesn't let me select both inputs from LS56 and Edge Go at the same time. In Pro Tools things were more complicated. I think if I were to use Pro Tools with this microphone, I would just use the Edge Go ASIO driver and forgo being able to play through my LS56 and the Speakers connected to it. I would just deal with the Y-Splitter and the headphones until I had recorded most of it, then switch Pro Tools to my Saffire ASIO drivers to mix with. But as you all know, Pro Tools needs to re-start every time you change something on the Play Engine. :(
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

Hi @ siniarch ,

Thank you very much for the samples - they sound great! Thank you for the detailed feedback as well, are you still experiencing the issue with ASIO4ALL? I would be more than glad to help out!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hi Sam,
Thanks for the kind words. I am biased and do agree my wife sounds great. Hahaha. But the microphone is also excellent.
As far as ASIO4ALL, in Pro Tools, yes, having issues with it. But that may be a Pro Tools issue. In Reaper, if I engage my Focusrite ASIO driver and my EDGE GO driver on ASIO4ALL, when I look at my inputs and outputs I see both my Liquid Saffire inputs and outputs as well as my Edge Go inputs and outputs. In Pro Tools with the same setup of ASIO4ALL, I only see generic 1-8 inputs and 1-8 outputs. But they dont relate to the Safire I/Os or Edge Go I/Os? Not sure why?

On another note. If you can either sell or recommend another USB to USB-C cable that is longer than the one provided with the mic and that works well without drop-outs, that would be great as well. Or is 10' a limit of the USB technology?

Thanks.

Last edited by siniarch; 3 weeks ago at 04:36 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search