The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Antelope Audio premieres Orion 32+ | Gen3 Flagship AD/DA Converter
Old 15th February 2019
  #1
Company Rep
 
Antelope Audio's Avatar
Antelope Audio premieres Orion 32+ | Gen3 Flagship AD/DA Converter

Greetings from Antelope Audio!

We are pleased to announce Orion 32+ | Gen 3, our next-generation flagship 64-channel Thunderbolt(TM)/USB audio converter.

The Orion32+ | Gen 3 delivers the same breakthrough connectivity, flexibility, and channel counts that the original Orion32 claimed its stake with. Drawing upon user feedback and our own expertise, we elevated the operating levels (+24dBu max), upgraded the AD/DA conversion, squashed a good amount of bugs, and re-did the front panel. Last but not least, our next-gen Orion32+ performs for a wider audience with a more accessible starting price.

Orion32+ | Gen 3 features at a glance:

• State-of-the-art AD/DA converters with up to 129dB dynamic range
• Proprietary FPGA FX platform for real-time effects processing
• Compatible with AFX2DAW software bridge
• Fast and stable custom Thunderbolt(TM) driver for Windows
• Sub-millisecond latency at 96-192kHz / 32-64 samples
• 64 channels of 24-bit, 192 kHz audio via Thunderbolt(TM)
• 32 channels of 24-bit, 192 kHz audio via USB
• MADI, ADAT, S/PDIF, 8x DB25 connectivity
• Renowned 64-bit AFC clocking technology and jitter management algorithm
• 10 MHz input for connecting to Antelope Audio 10M & 10MX atomic master clocks
• Word Clock outputs for use as master clock
• Networking control from multiple computers
• Flexible routing, mixing, and effects chaining via macOS and Windows app
• Freely movable and resizable control panels to facilitate multi-screen setups
• Facelift for 2019 — Carbon Grey faceplate

Orion 32+ | Gen 3 represents the pinnacle of everything we've learned about developing premium multi-channel AD/DA converters since the original Orion 32 made headlines in 2013. This includes a considerable amount of user feedback, gathered through every means possible - including here, on Gearslutz. We held our users' requests and remarks in great regard as we conceptualized, developed, and produced this magnificent device. It was the only way to make sure we'd end up proud with it.

We firmly intend to deliver the power and beauty of our next-gen Orion32+ into as many hands (and racks) as possible. We took the challenge of reducing the unit's price point without compromising any of its functionality. In addition to everything else the O32+ | Gen 3 has to offer, it ships with a suite of six essential studio effects that cover the vast majority of mixing and mastering needs. They run in real-time on our proprietary FPGA FX platform, taking a massive burden off your computer. That, and our freshly developed Windows Thunderbolt(TM) driver make it possible to achieve a complete effects processing experience at sub-millisecond (imperceptible) latency, on both leading platforms (Windows & macOS). That said, we are always open to providing and discussing measurements and methodology.

The Orion32+ | Gen 3 starts shipping in March with an estimated $2,595.00 USD retail price. For more information, reach out to your dealer or to us directly at Antelope Audio | Digital clarity | Analog warmth



Best wishes,
Team Antelope
Old 9th March 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
vaesion's Avatar
 

I currently have a apogee Rosetta 800 connected to a Digi face by rme which is then connected to a card in my computer. Am I understanding this right that I can simply connect this Orion to my computer on a USB port and have 32 channels in and out? Thank you!
Old 9th March 2019
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

do all the EQ and Comp plugins come with this unit? and the DAW Bridge? or is all that a separate purchase? How much? Is there a chart or a list that shows what comes with each AA interface? I've poked around on the AA website and I'm unsure of why the more expensive units come with less plugins? There's only 6 here, is that right? That Grove Hill Liverpool plugin is the most interesting one...
Old 19th March 2019
  #4
News Desk Editor
 
The Press Desk's Avatar
 

Thread moved.
Old 20th March 2019
  #5
Company Rep
 
Antelope Audio's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaesion View Post
I currently have a apogee Rosetta 800 connected to a Digi face by rme which is then connected to a card in my computer. Am I understanding this right that I can simply connect this Orion to my computer on a USB port and have 32 channels in and out? Thank you!
Hello vaesion,

Yes, you can connect the Orion to your computer via USB port and have 32 channels in and out.

Cheers!
Old 20th March 2019
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

What generation thunderbolt is it?

Have i missed where it says so?
Old 20th March 2019
  #7
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd-Baraka View Post
What generation thunderbolt is it?

Have i missed where it says so?
Thunderbolt 2 I think. They have a page talking about needing a TB2 cable and also a TB3>TB2 adaptor if you only have USB C on your machine.
Old 20th March 2019
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Can you elaborate more about the Oriion32 HD Gen 3. I'm very interested to understand the differences between Gen 2 and Gen 3.
Old 24th March 2019
  #9
Here for the gear
 

From what I can tell, for Gen 3, the 32 channels of conversion have improved specs, and are now matching what the "old" HD unit had.

For Analog ins and outs you get 4dBu on both (+24dBu Max).

For Dynamic range on 32 convertors
A/D: went from 118dB on the plus (and original 32) to 121db / -112
D/A: went from 118dB on plus (and original 32) to 120db / -107

The stereo monitor on Gen 3+ remains the same specs as on the plus, where it was first introduced.

Not sure if anything else changed, besides the faceplate color, and maybe some software or more plugs/FPGA.
Old 25th March 2019
  #10
Gear Nut
Can anyone comment on the converters in the newer Orion 32s vs the original Orion32? I have the original and am wondering if it’s worth upgrading. I don’t need the effects bc I monitor through my Apollo but if conversion feels noticeably improved, I would upgrade.
Old 27th March 2019
  #11
Here for the gear
 

I'm guessing they lowered the price by not including any boutique, plugin-style AFX effects, then making you buy them if you want them. I think that's too bad. I have the Orion32+ original and it comes (came?) with a lot of AFX options. I was surprised how good they are.

I fear that Antelope will either (A) stop developing for older models because they have already "sold" us the AFX effects, or (B) remove our existing AFX effects and make us pay to use what we've been enjoying for years. I don't think they're going to want to have developers work on two different packages. I hope I'm wrong.

It makes a certain amount of sense going forward: if you already have a bunch of plugins you love you'd be crazy to buy AFX, IMO, so I guess a lower price might nudge those customers.

However, the bummer is that AFX are pretty great and it was a heck of an incentive to buy the older versions.
Old 29th March 2019
  #12
Company Rep
 
Antelope Audio's Avatar
Greetings!

Have a look at our newest product video.

EXPANDING AUDIO FRONTIERS WITH THE ORION 32+ | GEN 3:




Cheers!
Old 10th April 2019
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
Dan O's Avatar
 

Anyone who knows which chips are used for "industry-finest AD/DA conversion"? I can't find that info.
Old 11th April 2019
  #14
Gear Head
I must admit, Im rather shocked that more FX don't come with the unit for the price - you'd expect a couple of vintage EQ's and /or compressors at least. The FX aren't cheap on their own either. Is AFX2DAW supposed to work with the Orion 32 also? I'm not using thunderbolt so I can't check but the antelope website doesn't mention the orion32+ Gen 3 as being compatible with AFX to DAW. I've had good response from Antelope support but the documentation, manuals and website navigation leave a hell of a lot to be desired. The Orioon Gen 3 was a massive purchase for me, and while i absolutely can't fault the sound, I'm disappointed in the little things at this price point.
Old 15th April 2019
  #15
Gear Head
So that means, that when you’re in USB mode and you connect 32 line ins, you can’t use the 2 Adat ins? So you either use 16 analog ins and 2 adat ins or 32 analog ins? And same on the outputs?
Thank you for your answer
Old 21st April 2019
  #16
Here for the gear
 

Windows users please be aware:

1. There is no AFX2Daw available for windows. You cannot use their audio emulations plugins as vst in your host. To use emulations plugins you have to route in and out of the orion 32. Not only is the work flow bad, but you also loose a channel for stereo channels as you have send left and right each as a separate channels to the hardware.

2. The thunderbolt windows drivers do not support multiple applications using the audio interface.

I wish this was clear to me before i bought into the product line couple months ago as i am windows user. I had to purchase a console 1 for hardware FX as i did not want to route in and out of the DAW just to make use of their effects. Also its been a while now and still no clue as to when AFX2DAW support for windows is coming.

Other than these two things the interface is well built, looks great and most importantly sounds very very good.
Old 22nd April 2019
  #17
Company Rep
 
Sam Antelope Audio's Avatar
 

Hi!
@ gila - This depends, if you want to send all of the 32 line inputs to your DAW - then yes. However, you can use any of the 4 built in mixer channels - they act as summing mixers, so you can easily route 4 of the line inputs any of the virtual mixers and route the stereo sum to your DAW, this will save you 2 channels, which you'll be able to use for the ADAT inputs. Or you can go Thunderbolt, you can message me here if you have any other questions.
@ Gabbimark - AFX2DAW is in closed beta right now, so we are working on it hard and it should be out Q2, early Q3 of this year at least in a public beta. As for the multi-client support - it is already working just fine. If you want to join our closed beta - please get in touch with our technical support team.
Old 22nd April 2019
  #18
Here for the gear
 

Ok thanks guys for the heads up. I will join the closed beta team. Those two things are my main issues. Other than that the hardware is fantastic and sounds great. Also support has been excellent from antelope.
Old 29th July 2019
  #19
Gear Nut
 

1)Can you share Round trip latency figures for 192/32 or 64 and 96/32 in Windows ?
Much curious after reading the specs.
I use Ableton 10. I won't use any dsp based processing, staight to DAW.
But it will be fine if you are using any other daw, as figures will be very close.

2)I use mic preamp which has XLR or TRS output. How can i connect it to Orion 32+ or HD one ?

Thanks.
Old 12th August 2019
  #20
I got the Orion 32+ Gen 3 about two months ago now, and it's been flawless.

The unit sounds great, and the routing flexibility is amazing.

After my zzounds bill is paid, I am seriously considering getting a second one, and doing away with my adat io, freeing up some rack space, and making my setup simpler (I currently have 64 i/o)

This is just so simple once you figure out how the routing window works. Also, the metering choices in the app are really great when troubleshooting.

I can't think of a single thing that I don't like about it.
Old 4th September 2019
  #21
Here for the gear
 

I bought the Orion 32+ Gen 3 one month ago. Doesn't just look, sound and feel great, it's highly configurable and definitely high quality too. I really love the conversion and the sound of the plugins!!!
Old 4th September 2019
  #22
Gear Maniac
 
Dan O's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMex View Post
I bought the Orion 32+ Gen 3 one month ago. Doesn't just look, sound and feel great, it's highly configurable and definitely high quality too. I really love the conversion and the sound of the plugins!!!
Are you on Mac or Windows?
Old 11th September 2019
  #23
Here for the gear
The first unit I bought it on July 2. 2019. It was defected. The unit frezzes randomly and the LCD Display blink. I communicated this to de seller, MusiX AG. After 2 months with lot of disinformation and deaf ears where the seller just offered a repair option (which I refused several times due I paid for a new working unit).
I accepted then the seller offer about to return the unit and the refund, finally.
The seller received the unit last Wed Sep 4 at 07:00 AM.
Still I have no confirmation from the seller of reception of the unit, cancellation of the operation nor the refund.
The history is long and full of irregularities, indiference and dismiss.
I have lost all my clients as I couldn’t fulfill their mastering needs because as said the unit freezes randomly and the LCD start blinking.


The second unit I have bought it on September 9 2019.

The Dispaly is skewed to the left and out of frame.
Told them that maybe the panel inside is loose but no shure about it.

I wrote to the seller and told them that will be fair to negotiate a partial refund. After supplying evidence they offered 50 dollars as a “goodwill” or a return/refund. I then reply that at minimum should be 200 dollars, minimum.
Now they said that the Orion 32+ Gen 3 has been discontinued and they cannot replace it for another, so I just have to return it and thats it. No Orion 32+ Gen 3. The seller Gear4Music.

I am not a rich man. I just did an enormous financial effort to spend such a lot of money.

I am just being scammed for Antelope, because is delivering faulty units and support just offer a repair, scammed by Gear4Music saying not other unit can be sent to replace the faulty one, and by MusiX AG which denied they received the unit but the Post said they did counter signature, and not refunding the money to me.

I am having the time of my life.
Old 11th September 2019
  #24
Sry
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaultra View Post
The first unit I bought it on July 2. 2019. It was defected. The unit frezzes randomly and the LCD Display blink. I communicated this to de seller, MusiX AG. After 2 months with lot of disinformation and deaf ears where the seller just offered a repair option (which I refused several times due I paid for a new working unit).
I accepted then the seller offer about to return the unit and the refund, finally.
The seller received the unit last Wed Sep 4 at 07:00 AM.
Still I have no confirmation from the seller of reception of the unit, cancellation of the operation nor the refund.
The history is long and full of irregularities, indiference and dismiss.
I have lost all my clients as I couldn’t fulfill their mastering needs because as said the unit freezes randomly and the LCD start blinking.


The second unit I have bought it on September 9 2019.

The Dispaly is skewed to the left and out of frame.
Told them that maybe the panel inside is loose but no shure about it.

I wrote to the seller and told them that will be fair to negotiate a partial refund. After supplying evidence they offered 50 dollars as a “goodwill” or a return/refund. I then reply that at minimum should be 200 dollars, minimum.
Now they said that the Orion 32+ Gen 3 has been discontinued and they cannot replace it for another, so I just have to return it and thats it. No Orion 32+ Gen 3. The seller Gear4Music.

I am not a rich man. I just did an enormous financial effort to spend such a lot of money.

I am just being scammed for Antelope, because is delivering faulty units and support just offer a repair, scammed by Gear4Music saying not other unit can be sent to replace the faulty one, and by MusiX AG which denied they received the unit but the Post said they did counter signature, and not refunding the money to me.

I am having the time of my life.
Wow I feel so sorry for you man. Really glad I did not buy into the sake pitch my local music store gave me about going Antelope ("because it is the new **** and UA Apollo is out!").

I was still going in thoughts about trying another interface in a year or so and leave most of the real time plugins and instead use my hardware and DAW-plugins due to simplicity and I suggest Antelope do what they can to solve this situation for you if they want the slightest consideration from me. This really is the kind of "luck" I, alone, usually are struck with.
I'm not saying Antelope is at fault here but come on, if you built units that was less faulty this would most probably not have happen to Diaultra and if his story checks out I'm sure the store would stop screwing him if you send then a kind note. That would really be the kind of story that gives you confident in a company not just in these type of situations. I used to work for a company that didn't give a rats ass about its customers and later also started activity trying to screw them. Quiting that job is one of the best things I've ever done.
Old 11th September 2019
  #25
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sry View Post
Wow I feel so sorry for you man. Really glad I did not buy into the sake pitch my local music store gave me about going Antelope ("because it is the new **** and UA Apollo is out!").

I was still going in thoughts about trying another interface in a year or so and leave most of the real time plugins and instead use my hardware and DAW-plugins due to simplicity and I suggest Antelope do what they can to solve this situation for you if they want the slightest consideration from me. This really is the kind of "luck" I, alone, usually are struck with.
I'm not saying Antelope is at fault here but come on, if you built units that was less faulty this would most probably not have happen to Diaultra and if his story checks out I'm sure the store would stop screwing him if you send then a kind note. That would really be the kind of story that gives you confident in a company not just in these type of situations. I used to work for a company that didn't give a rats ass about its customers and later also started activity trying to screw them. Quiting that job is one of the best things I've ever done.

Absolut. I am into an horrible deceit. And there are more than 10 people involved I am dealing with and no one have done what it has to be done.

The question is what’s going on with Antelope Audio Quality Control?

Why I have to deal with all this abuse and groping? Why?

Why if I gave them my money Antelope do not provide me what they say the do? Why?

Last edited by Diaultra; 13th September 2019 at 10:24 AM..
Old 11th September 2019
  #26
Gear Maniac
 
Dan O's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaultra View Post
The first unit I bought it on July 2. 2019. It was defected. The unit frezzes randomly and the LCD Display blink. I communicated this to de seller, MusiX AG. After 2 months with lot of disinformation and deaf ears where the seller just offered a repair option (which I refused several times due I paid for a new working unit).
I accepted then the seller offer about to return the unit and the refund, finally.
The seller received the unit last Wed Sep 4 at 07:00 AM.
Still I have no confirmation from the seller of reception of the unit, cancellation of the operation nor the refund.
The history is long and full of irregularities, indiference and dismiss.
I have lost all my clients as I couldn’t fulfill their mastering needs because as said the unit freezes randomly and the LCD start blinking.


The second unit I have bought it on September 9 2019.

The Dispaly is skewed to the left and out of frame.
Told them that maybe the panel inside is loose but no shure about it.

I wrote to the seller and told them that will be fair to negotiate a partial refund. After supplying evidence they offered 50 dollars as a “goodwill” or a return/refund. I then reply that at minimum should be 200 dollars, minimum.
Now they said that the Orion 32+ Gen 3 has been discontinued and they cannot replace it for another, so I just have to return it and thats it. No Orion 32+ Gen 3. The seller Gear4Music.

I am not a rich man. I just did an enormous financial effort to spend such a lot of money.

I am just being scammed for Antelope, because is delivering faulty units and support just offer a repair, scammed by Gear4Music saying not other unit can be sent to replace the faulty one, and by MusiX AG which denied they received the unit but the Post said they did counter signature, and not refunding the money to me.

I am having the time of my life.
I'm sorry to hear this kind of story. Really takes the fun out of buying something. Maybe you should try writing this story in one of the threads here on facebook where some antelope support guy checks in. Maybe they can sort it out and give you a new working unit. Hang in there!
Old 12th September 2019
  #27
Sry
Here for the gear
 

I wish I could help you out but I believe Dan O is correct, write them on social media and they probably help out and hopefully this will be a happy story in the end and hopefully I can feel enough confident to check Antelope interfaces out because man I wish it was what they claim to be.
Old 13th September 2019
  #28
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan O View Post
I'm sorry to hear this kind of story. Really takes the fun out of buying something. Maybe you should try writing this story in one of the threads here on facebook where some antelope support guy checks in. Maybe they can sort it out and give you a new working unit. Hang in there!
I was contacted by 5 Antelope representatives at least. All from Bulgaria.
Just storytellers. All lied to me with fake promises, fake benefits from Antelope to compensate me for the rip, just to pray on my enthusiasm and calling replacements that never happened nor it will.

They proceed in tandem with sneaky approaches, emails, facebook messages, phone calls, like organized scamming. Even one Antelope supporter mocking on me in Bulgarian lenguage.

I have pictures of dialogues, mails, and more evidence from Antelope Do you guys know where to make this publish apart from Gearslutz?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #29
Sry
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaultra View Post
I was contacted by 5 Antelope representatives at least. All from Bulgaria.
Just storytellers. All lied to me with fake promises, fake benefits from Antelope to compensate me for the rip, just to pray on my enthusiasm and calling replacements that never happened nor it will.

They proceed in tandem with sneaky approaches, emails, facebook messages, phone calls, like organized scamming. Even one Antelope supporter mocking on me in Bulgarian lenguage.

I have pictures of dialogues, mails, and more evidence from Antelope Do you guys know where to make this publish apart from Gearslutz?
If this is true, and I don't believe you're lying but sounds totally crazy for a serious company already struggling with all bad press they've gotten from their poor QA.
Maybe start with sending this to all email addresses you can find to contact Antelope such as press email-adress etc.. Giving the actual company a chance to respond to this, no answer by 24+ hours they've probably shown they doesn't care.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump