The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sonimus releases Satson Channel Strip Plug-In
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Damn, bought it straight away after a play with the compressor.. ( compuslut buy At past 4Am )

The low end on the SSL Eq is a bit boomy for my taste and Top end opens nicely but fiercely - sounds very good as a whole though.
Overall super feeling hardware-like and workflow.. my bad
Great Job Sonimus
Old 8th March 2019
Deleted e71ab78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Damn, bought it straight away after a play with the compressor.. ( compuslut buy At past 4Am )

The low end on the SSL Eq is a bit boomy for my taste and Top end opens nicely but fiercely - sounds very good as a whole though.
Overall super feeling hardware-like and workflow.. my bad
Great Job Sonimus
I was writing a reply then saw this posted. It's really good isn't it!

I agree on the eq... the top end is a too aggressive for everything for my tastes as well - but works for some things.

In reply to your comment about the strip format being cumbersome - I find for me it keeps things simple as I just load this up and go, I don't have massive channel counts usually tho so I can see how on bigger projects it might get fiddly...

The next track I make I'm going to use just this and see how the mix turns out, think that'd be a good exercise..

Anyway, enjoy!
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

This looks very promising. Is the gain staging module the same as the regular Satson plugin?
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
I was writing a reply then saw this posted. It's really good isn't it!

I agree on the eq... the top end is a too aggressive for everything for my tastes as well - but works for some things.

In reply to your comment about the strip format being cumbersome - I find for me it keeps things simple as I just load this up and go, I don't have massive channel counts usually tho so I can see how on bigger projects it might get fiddly...

The next track I make I'm going to use just this and see how the mix turns out, think that'd be a good exercise..

Anyway, enjoy!
Nice idea! i'll play!
Thanks
Old 10th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwave View Post
This looks very promising. Is the gain staging module the same as the regular Satson plugin?
Yes but you have added oversampling options that you don't have on the regular Satson plugin
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

Wish we could disable HPF LPF independently at least on the SSL-like EQ.. especially if Satson Gainstaging Pre is already doing it ( those filters are so smooth.. )
Old 10th March 2019
Deleted e71ab78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Wish we could disable HPF LPF independently at least on the SSL-like EQ.. especially if Satson Gainstaging Pre is already doing it ( those filters are so smooth.. )

I haven't thought of that but it would be nice. My wish I keep coming into is a separate gain on the gainstaging module so the main fader can be used to saturate and the seperate gain dial can be used for gainstaging instead of a new module/plugin.

Boris - will you be looking at feature requests/suggestions in this thread or would it be better to contact you directly?

I think this strip is excellent but it could certainly be refined further.
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
The only thing i miss from this is the ability to alter the stereo linkage.

I really like having that for stereo Busses and the like
We agree, this feature we consider very convenient in TuCo. In fact it was include in the ToDo in the update version we are working on. We are doing our best for include it on the current project schedule..
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I haven't thought of that but it would be nice. My wish I keep coming into is a separate gain on the gainstaging module so the main fader can be used to saturate and the seperate gain dial can be used for gainstaging instead of a new module/plugin.

Boris - will you be looking at feature requests/suggestions in this thread or would it be better to contact you directly?

I think this strip is excellent but it could certainly be refined further.
No problem Eklo we are taking notes all comments in the thread and discussing about them. Sorry if we do not add all features suggested, we try to keep in the line of the original conception.
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Maniac

What about some RND Portico channel or compressor? Neve 33609 ? API 2500 ?
Old 15th March 2019
In Britson CS Neve 33609 totally makes sence cause in Satson CS compressor is the ssl bus comp.
Old 15th March 2019
Deleted e71ab78
I would love something more obscure from Sonimus.
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear

Would love to see neve 33609 and api 2500!!!
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e71ab78 View Post
I would love something more obscure from Sonimus.
eg...
Old 17th March 2019
Lives for gear
I think this and StonEQ are the best things Sonimus has made. The compressor in SatsonCS is very good. And I use StonEQ all over the place. Sonimus made some kind of leap forward with these last two releases. I've been a fan of these guys since day one, so this is nice to see.
Old 18th March 2019
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Sonimus View Post
eg...
Tape
Old 18th March 2019
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted bc6012f View Post
Tape
p.s. Diego mentioned Britson update. Any rough ETA?
Old 18th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
We agree, this feature we consider very convenient in TuCo. In fact it was include in the ToDo in the update version we are working on. We are doing our best for include it on the current project schedule..
Oh really? So it will be added? In that case, i am definitely going to have to get this.
The sale is ending this week, am i right?

I really think that will open this compressor up even more. it will be so versatile!
Old 18th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
I think this and StonEQ are the best things Sonimus has made. The compressor in SatsonCS is very good. And I use StonEQ all over the place. Sonimus made some kind of leap forward with these last two releases. I've been a fan of these guys since day one, so this is nice to see.
Thank you MarsBot for your feedback, it is very kind and refreshing. We are really glad.
Old 18th March 2019
Gear Addict

Boris, is there any difference between the EQ in CS and StonEQ? I have both but have retired StonEQ assuming it was redundant.
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

^ the curves are pretty similar BUT not exactly the same.. ( just been checking both shelves.. in PDoc)
30 Cycles for example need to be set to 34 Cycles for the closest match
FWIW
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Addict

Does the intro sale end this week? Want to make sure i don't miss it
Old 20th March 2019
Deleted e71ab78
Could the option to save over the default setting be added? I'd rather have the compressor and crosstalk off when firing it up, I made a preset like this called default but having it like that on loading would lend itself to the fast mixing movements that this strip is all about.

Having lots of fun with this thing

Quote:
eg...
Just something with less or no emulations available or an entirely original/non emulation Sonimus idea.
Old 21st March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
Does the intro sale end this week? Want to make sure i don't miss it
We will keep it until next monday or tuesday
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear
I beta-tested this plugin. And was really surprised with the saturation in the Satson module. It really brings something I really like.
I mix everyday on SSL but I have no idea if it sounds like the desk I use. Although I am feeling confident using it.
And it is also a huge help using it when I mix exclusively ITB (or hybrid).
As when mixing on the desk, I don't feel the need to use as much saturation as when I mix ITB.
But using this one ITB gave me the same feeling, I don't feel the need to use as much saturation ITB now (except for specific effect of course).

It particularly helps if you are using synth has it can saturates them nicely and filters them very well too (as when using synth directly into the SSL line pres).

I just wish, there could be an option to engage / disengage oversampling for all instances (I don't think it is the case currently but I could be wrong).
I do not care that much about oversampling when offline personally since I print the mix into the session (but understand it can be useful). But it could be very convenient for me to switch OS off when mixing and engaging it at the end of the mix. See if it brings something (most of the time it does to me). And also ease the CPU a bit.

I was also quite surprised by the compressor that I tend to use it alone by itself. It has that "softness" that the mixbus desk compressor have IMHO. I didn't used that much the SSL Gbus Rack unit, but used the desk bus comp quite extensively. I liked the cohesion it brings to the sound but often regretted how it narrowed the stereo image. Using this plugin in dual-mono solves this issue.

I am very picky when it comes to plugins. I hate fuzzy marketing hiding recycled coding recipes or when they hide features behind hazy names ("analog knob" = noise, or some W**** plugins that are just bunch of plugins repacked into one etc...). I am also very picky about sound and digital artefacts. I take good care recording stuff as much as I can, I don't want to screw that up with digital artefacts (except when it is wanted).
So yeah, awesome sweet sound, OS options. I am happy to use it next to the outboard or the desk =).
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by STSQ View Post
Curious about this. You're saying the Satson Channel Comp does narrow the stereo image like the desk comp?? How do you avoid this using dual mono??
Well I wasn't clear enough my mistakes.

SSL Gcomp on the desk does narrow the stereo image a bit (or put a stronger center depends how you see that).

I feel that using dual mono plugins helps to avoid that as it separate L and R channels and compress then independently. So L don't make R pump and vice versa (can be an issue in case of heavy compression and crazy pannings movement tho).

I haven't compare the Sonimus in stereo vs dual mono yet tho.
Old 29th March 2019
Deleted e71ab78
Hi WheelieR,

Good to read more positive responses to this plugin.

I agree that a global oversampling would be nice to check things easily.

Having used it solidly for the last 6 weeks, I think it's a fantastic mixing tool. Like Satson, it adds up over a whole mix and adds a depth/vibe which I really like. Also makes mixing so simple and quick and i love being able to turn off the numeric readout and really on my ears more.

Boris already confirmed some stereo options will make their way into the compressor which is nice.

I think those, global oversampling options, an extra gain dial on the gainstaging module and a bypass button would be nice improvements. One more big one ~ being able to punch in and out of each eq band would be so helpful rather than bypassing the whole thing, that would be a big improvement.

I'd also like my name not to be on the bottom, seems like a waste of space and unnecessary.

Overall I am really impressed by it. Great work by Sonimus.
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

I'd also like my name not to be on the bottom, seems like a waste of space and unnecessary.
Yeah, that's one of my biggest gripes with the UI. Also I think the colors of the EQ knobs could be a little less washed out looking (StonEQ's colors were perfect), the indentations on the side of the compressor module makes zero sense from a skeuomorphic standpoint and the lighting effects on the modules are a bit much. Kinda looks "smudgey" if you put a a few of the same module next to each other. The EQ especially. I thought the original beta was better looking overall because of it's simplicity and consistency (also the colors on the EQ knobs were nicer IMO). I still love the plugin though.

I hope that more people buy this plugin in due time. Boris is such a great guy and I want this amazing company to succeed as much as possible.
Old 29th March 2019
Deleted e71ab78
A
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbyguitar View Post
Yeah, that's one of my biggest gripes with the UI. Also I think the colors of the EQ knobs could be a little less washed out looking (StonEQ's colors were perfect), the indentations on the side of the compressor module makes zero sense from a skeuomorphic standpoint and the lighting effects on the modules are a bit much. Kinda looks "smudgey" if you put a a few of the same module next to each other. The EQ especially. I thought the original beta was better looking overall because of it's simplicity and consistency (also the colors on the EQ knobs were nicer IMO). I still love the plugin though.

I hope that more people buy this plugin in due time. Boris is such a great guy and I want this amazing company to succeed as much as possible.

The original beta GUI was way better. I did express this several times but I guess they invested in the new skin and didn't want to revert. It was honestly so much better, I don't mind the new one but the previous one was so much clearer.

Likewise, it deserves to do well. I think it will pick up momentum - it's high quality so it will speak for itself.
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
A

The original beta GUI was way better. I did express this several times but I guess they invested in the new skin and didn't want to revert. It was honestly so much better, I don't mind the new one but the previous one was so much clearer.

Likewise, it deserves to do well. I think it will pick up momentum - it's high quality so it will speak for itself.
To peak it needs strong marketing.

It's not the best that succeed, it's the most present (#Avid #Uad #slate #wavesbackinthedays etc...).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search