The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonimus releases Satson Channel Strip Plug-In
Old 14th February 2019
  #31
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
Really loving this but ran it through DDMF Plugin Doctor and noticed something odd. The EQ module exhibits cramping at nyquist (HF in Bell) which is troubling as none of the other Sonimus EQs including StonEQ 4k have this issue.

I've sent a report to the Sonimus Support people but can't attach screenshots so I'm posting them here (and have asked them to check out this thread)

Basically the Plugin Doctor overlay shot is only the demo version of the CS EQ and the StonEQ (without any drive) both doing an 8db boost at 15k - you can clearly see the bell of the StonEQ (pink) acts as it should whereas the CS EQ (Green) warps sharply. I've also attached individual plots of both doing an 8db boost at 8k.

Hope this can be solved! Great product!
That doesn't look like cramping to me.. rather it looks more like an anti-alias filter in action. Filter cramping is much more disfigured and usually returns back to 0dB way before nyquist (this is the very feature that squeezes filters, aka cramping).

For examples of real cramping I suggest you take a look at any of the Analog Obsession plugins.

EDIT: Added image. This is cramping.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonimus releases Satson Channel Strip Plug-In-thisiscramping.jpg  

Last edited by bmanic; 14th February 2019 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: Added example image
Old 14th February 2019
  #32
Lives for gear
 
superwack's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
That doesn't look like cramping to me.. rather it looks more like an anti-alias filter in action. Filter cramping is much more disfigured and usually returns back to 0dB way before nyquist (this is the very feature that squeezes filters, aka cramping).

For examples of real cramping I suggest you take a look at any of the Analog Obsession plugins.

EDIT: Added image. This is cramping.
You're probably right (and I'm happy to be wrong) - The EQ only goes up to 16k so it's hard to totally test up to and past nyquist but I did a plot of the empty channel strip and there does seem to be a filter even with no modules installed (I hadn't checked and assumed the EQ would only be the EQ) Thanks for the info
Attached Thumbnails
Sonimus releases Satson Channel Strip Plug-In-empty-cs.png  

Last edited by superwack; 14th February 2019 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 14th February 2019
  #33
Gear Nut
 
Boris Sonimus's Avatar
 

Great!
It's include in next update, thanks for asking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiime View Post
Well I was convinced by the sound after 30minutes of demo, so I bought the plugin.
My plugin was eating much more resources than my StonEQ at first, but disabling the overasmpling fixed it.

Really good job Sonimus, I think this will become my go-to plug in for my mixes.

Just one request, can you in the future update have the same A/B recall function that was on the StonEQ 4k ?

Thanks a lot !
Old 14th February 2019
  #34
Gear Nut
 
Boris Sonimus's Avatar
 

Hi Folks!

We are very proud to share the Satson Channel Strip review done by Gearslutz Review Team

Sonimus Satson Channel Strip: 5 out of 5
Old 14th February 2019
  #35
Gear Nut
 
Boris Sonimus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
Indeed, but by putting an SSL 4k-inspired EQ and "The World's Most Famous Bus Compressor™" from the same console in your plugin, you've pretty much determined that this is an SSL channel strip, albeit with your own spin.
Satson CS is not a classic SSLChannel Strip. Satson CS is custom channel strip inspired by many SSL products... It's Satson Channel Strip, not as SSL Channel Strip emulation. Anyway, we understand it can make confusion, we perhaps we should describe it better in our site.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
That's great; but a "channel strip" is a system - for me, a gate/expander is part of this system and having the added flexibility of where I want to place it within your rack would go a long way to adding value and flexibility to what already sounds great. The same with having a compressor that is more inspired by the channel comp of a 4k than the bus comp (fast attack, auto-gain, etc).
It's not mandatory a Channel Strip with Gate, in fact we know a lot of real channel strips that don't have it. It does not mean we could add a Gate in the future, but for now it's not in our plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
As I mentioned, I am demoing it (although having to dismiss the "TRIAL" message every time I open an instance of the plugin truly makes demoing a "trial"...).

Sorry if the message get annoying you. We will keep this feedback for making it better next time
Old 14th February 2019
  #36
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Sonimus View Post

Sorry if the message get annoying you. We will keep this feedback for making it better next time
Speaking for myself and as I've heard from others, my preferred demo method is a 14 day full function trial. The plugin gets in to your workflow this way, and by then I've mixed a track or two with it and wouldn't want to be without when the time trial is up. I've bought plugins I don't really like out of this because it was in a session and worked for it.

Having said that, I only really trial the Sonimus stuff to make sure everything is working and in order on my machine and pull the trigger same day because it's always so good.
Old 14th February 2019
  #37
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
Really loving this but ran it through DDMF Plugin Doctor and noticed something odd. The EQ module exhibits cramping at nyquist (HF in Bell) which is troubling as none of the other Sonimus EQs including StonEQ 4k have this issue.

I've sent a report to the Sonimus Support people but can't attach screenshots so I'm posting them here (and have asked them to check out this thread)

Basically the Plugin Doctor overlay shot is only the demo version of the CS EQ and the StonEQ (without any drive) both doing an 8db boost at 15k - you can clearly see the bell of the StonEQ (pink) acts as it should whereas the CS EQ (Green) warps sharply. I've also attached individual plots of both doing an 8db boost at 8k.

Hope this can be solved! Great product!
Hi superwack,

There is nothing to fix, what you see is the oversampling filter.
It does not affect the sound at all because it's linear phase and it is above 20 khz.

The standalone StonEQ 4k version doesn't have oversampling, Anyway, you can disable the SatsonCS oversampling.

Cheers
Diego.
Old 14th February 2019
  #38
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
Speaking for myself and as I've heard from others, my preferred demo method is a 14 day full function trial. The plugin gets in to your workflow this way, and by then I've mixed a track or two with it and wouldn't want to be without when the time trial is up. I've bought plugins I don't really like out of this because it was in a session and worked for it.

Having said that, I only really trial the Sonimus stuff to make sure everything is working and in order on my machine and pull the trigger same day because it's always so good.
I agree, we should improve our demo versions in the short term.

This method requires much more work, because may be easier to hack by a cracker. Maybe an easy way (for us) is to release our products under i lok, in this case, by just expiring the license would be enough, but... mmh, nah... I don't think so...

By the way, we apologize for that, in the near future we will improve our demos to be fully functional trials

Diego
Old 14th February 2019
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Sonimus View Post
It's not mandatory a Channel Strip with Gate, in fact we know a lot of real channel strips that don't have it. It does not mean we could add a Gate in the future, but for now it's not in our plans.
Thanks for replying, Boris. I was mentioning the gate/expander as more of a "feature request" than a deal-breaker - I think the CS as it stands currently sounds FANTASTIC!

I'll still keep my request for the gate as *for me* that would take this strip to the next level, but even if it's something you don't decide to implement, you already have a winner on your hands with the EQ and compressor.
Old 15th February 2019
  #40
Gear Addict
 

Sounds pretty damn good to me. not sure i need it as i already have a gazillion SSL style products, but will most likely get it anyway to support this dev as i think they are freaking awesome.

My only complaint would be - i'm surprised that the release is fixed (given that the attack is not)
For me a free release is actually more important as it has so much control over the feel of the compression

For example, if im making dance music at 125bpm a 15th note is 120ms - thats normally around the place i want to be if im doing aggressive quick (ish) compression.
Of course this is just me, im sure lots of people don't care. It's still great, but that would be my wish.
Old 15th February 2019
  #41
Gear Nut
 
Boris Sonimus's Avatar
 

Thanks David Carlyon for your coments, we choosed this option because we liked it more in this way. In original gears, both are fixed (attack and release), we were able to adapt the attack, making it "not fixed". It was a hard work, cause in a range of different values components change, althought it wasn't done for the release.
Anyway, we did not make efforts for adapting the release to continuous values because we like it more as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
Sounds pretty damn good to me. not sure i need it as i already have a gazillion SSL style products, but will most likely get it anyway to support this dev as i think they are freaking awesome.

My only complaint would be - i'm surprised that the release is fixed (given that the attack is not)
For me a free release is actually more important as it has so much control over the feel of the compression

For example, if im making dance music at 125bpm a 15th note is 120ms - thats normally around the place i want to be if im doing aggressive quick (ish) compression.
Of course this is just me, im sure lots of people don't care. It's still great, but that would be my wish.
Old 20th February 2019
  #42
Deleted bc6012f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Sonimus View Post
Thanks David Carlyon for your coments
Boris i just received email about SatsonCS being updated to 1.01. Any chance for some changelog? I can't find it on website. Cheers
Old 20th February 2019
  #43
Gear Nut
 
Boris Sonimus's Avatar
 

Hi Deleted bc6012f, in a pair of hours we will send a news with details. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted bc6012f View Post
Boris i just received email about SatsonCS being updated to 1.01. Any chance for some changelog? I can't find it on website. Cheers
Old 20th February 2019
  #44
Gear Nut
 
Boris Sonimus's Avatar
 


Hi, if you are looking for interesting deals!

Sound like a Pro: Crazy Deal!!
You can get a professional and analog sounding mix using these three Sonimus plugins for just $56.
▪ TuCo: $ 28.-
▪ Britson: $ 28.-
▪ SonEQ: Free (as allways)
This is a limited time offer.
Old 20th February 2019
  #45
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Sonimus View Post

Hi, if you are looking for interesting deals!

Sound like a Pro: Crazy Deal!!
You can get a professional and analog sounding mix using these three Sonimus plugins for just $56.
▪ TuCo: $ 28.-
▪ Britson: $ 28.-
▪ SonEQ: Free (as allways)
This is a limited time offer.

Is this deal forecasting a Britson channel strip?

I already own all of the above and the Satson CS has changed the way I mix already. Excited to see where you go with new stuff!
Old 20th February 2019
  #46
Gear Nut
 
Boris Sonimus's Avatar
 

It's not exactly the idea but the question takes us for thinking about next steps
Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
Is this deal forecasting a Britson channel strip?

I already own all of the above and the Satson CS has changed the way I mix already. Excited to see where you go with new stuff!
Old 20th February 2019
  #47
Here for the gear
 

Britson modules in the *same* channel strip would make a lot of people happy

[edit for clarity ]
Old 22nd February 2019
  #48
I was thinking about how beautiful original GUI on Satson plugin is (some would say it looks corny, but for me, it was much more comfortable to work with) and how cool it will look in Satson Channel. But then I remembered that it would be a pain in the ass to add resize function to this kind of GUI.

P.S. I love this channel strip. Using it more and more
Old 26th February 2019
  #49
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok87 View Post
Britson modules in the channel strip would make a lot of people happy
An update with new features is coming (in a few weeks), and then we will work on another channel strip
Old 26th February 2019
  #50
Gear Guru
I have Britson and VCC. For some reason VCC doesn't work with Mixbus anymore so using Britson. Not missing it except the smiley face thing with the E console vs the more midrange of Britson.... (Totally subjective opinion some may totally disagree with the characterization......)
Old 27th February 2019
  #51
Deleted bc6012f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego Sonimus View Post
An update with new features is coming (in a few weeks), and then we will work on another channel strip
You mean update and new features on Britson itself or SatsonCS?

In any way it's a
Old 27th February 2019
  #52
Lives for gear
 
johnnynash's Avatar
What a great company Sonimus is! Within a few minutes my copy of SCS was available. Thank you everyone at Sonimus!
This plugin is really something special. Great sound and the work flow can't be beat. All we need now is a BCS
Old 7th March 2019
  #53
Gear Addict
 

The only thing i miss from this is the ability to alter the stereo linkage.
I really like having that for stereo Busses and the like
Old 7th March 2019
  #54
Deleted e71ab78
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
The only thing i miss from this is the ability to alter the stereo linkage.
I really like having that for stereo Busses and the like
I don't miss them but would appreciate them.

This should really garner more attention, the compressor is really quite stunning, it has a very special quality to it.

Perhaps a strip with completely new plugins or a console that has been emulated less would grab more attention. Seems odd something this quality has this small thread..
Old 7th March 2019
  #55
Lives for gear
 
johnnynash's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
This should really garner more attention, the compressor is really quite stunning, it has a very special quality to it.
Agree. The compressor alone is worth every penny!
Old 7th March 2019
  #56
Lives for gear
 

Is it possible to buy compressor only?
Old 7th March 2019
  #57
Lives for gear
 
johnnynash's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI View Post
Is it possible to buy compressor only?
No, but once you get a taste of the eq you don't wanna be without it!
Old 7th March 2019
  #58
Gear Maniac
 

I think the "console" (gain staging) module is really great. With gain compensation and fat mode turned on, you can get some nice color when you move the slider upwards, close to top.
Old 7th March 2019
  #59
Lives for gear
 
jsblack's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e71ab78 View Post
Seems odd something this quality has this small thread..
Honestly, the "rack" thing is a bit cumbersome for my workflow..
I love Tuco and some Eqs from Sonimus..

Also i like to see/read my mixing tracks easily.. "8" plugins in a row instead of 2 Racks/Channel strips that i need to open to check what's going on on it..

I will demo Sonimus CS for sure though..

Last edited by jsblack; 8th March 2019 at 03:35 AM..
Old 8th March 2019
  #60
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
I don't miss them but would appreciate them.

This should really garner more attention, the compressor is really quite stunning, it has a very special quality to it.

Perhaps a strip with completely new plugins or a console that has been emulated less would grab more attention. Seems odd something this quality has this small thread..

Yeah i know what you mean. It took me a minute, as i already have so many ssl style plugins. But it really does sound very good.
I will def get it. Just wish it has stereo link controls. Purely because it makes it useful on stereo busses etc. These days i tend not to use comps that don't have those controls on stereo busses...unless the program material is incredible smooth and balanced
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump