The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TBProAudio updates dEQ6 to V2.0 for Windows and Mac OS X
Old 16th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Glad you pointed out those other features out @ uarte , it just made me dig into the menus a bit more. Some good stuff in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uarte View Post
Now I just wish it had IN/OUT meters. Right now you have the output gain/trim slider, which is great, but it would be nice to see vertical in/out meters along the side too so I know if my EQ settings are causing problems, etc., etc.. I don't mean to sound greedy, as this plugin is already great, and you are clearly a very responsive developer constantly improving your products. But if there's anything big missing on both gEQ12 and dEQ6, for me at least, it's just vertical in/out meters along the side.
If TBPro does add meters hopefully he would implement RMS/ averaging into them and have 'in vs out' next to each other. I`m not a big fan of when plugs put input meter way over to the left and output meter way on the right, as it makes comparison more clumsy. Maybe it could be another menu/ hideable option that pops a panel out into the upper graph screen on the right about a cm or something?

Apart from some shortcut and cosmetic stuff, my personal request I made via PM was for a global wet/dry slider to be put under the main output gain slider on the right. Just to help to add some transients back in after the compression of the bands sometimes.

Also turns out you can use DEQ6 as a virtual wide-band compressor by just using band 1 as high-shelf on 10Hz. Parallel mix from a global wet/dry slider would be great in this case too!

Last edited by 4tune; 17th February 2019 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 16th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tune View Post
Glad you pointed out those other features out @ uarte , it just made me dig into the menus a bit more. Some good stuff in there!

If TBPro does add meters hopefully he would implement RMS/ averaging into them and have 'in vs out' next to each other. I`m not a big fan of when plugs put input meter way over to the left and output meter way on the right, as it makes comparison more clumsy. Maybe it could be another menu/ hideable option that pops a panel out into the upper graph screen on the right about a cm or something?

Apart from some shortcut and cosmetic stuff, my personal request I made via PM was for a global wet/dry slider to be put under the main output gain slider on the right. Just to help to add some transients back in after the compression of the bands sometimes.

Also turns out you can use DEQ6 as a virtual wide-band compressor by just using band 1 as high-shelf on 10Hz. Parallel mix would be great in this case too!
I like your suggestions. Hope he considers those as well! Great points!

And yes, there is indeed some good stuff tucked away in this plugin. One other thing I absolutely LOVE about his plugins is how efficient and lightweight they are. They load quickly, don't chew up unnecessary resources, they seem very tightly coded, haven't hit any CPU limits yet, etc... little details like you can tweak the real-time analyzer to perform and display exactly what you want... just very well thought out, precise and almost scientific. Just great.

Lastly (for now), I also love his licensing model. No heavy-handed copy-protection... no limited number of installations, no online verification, no fat installation manager that hooks into your computer and installs tons of garbage. Just simple, honest license keys and you can install on all your computers. It's respectful IMO -- it trusts the user to be honest. Thank you. It's refreshing. Not many developers do that these days and it inspires me to want to buy more of his plugins.
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
But in/out meters on plugins like this seem pretty logical and almost ubiquitous. Any chance you will consider adding in/out meters on the interface? I think that would round out a fantastic 2.0 update, and whatever you add for 2.xx will be frosting on the cake for me. If you add in/out meters, you'll force me to buy gEQ12 too, lol. (Already have dEQ6!)
Thank you!
We will consider in/out meters. Should not be a big deal
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1 for Peak/RMS/Range meters and mix control.
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear

2.0.3:
- Filter icon: shift key + mouse wheel slows down change of Q
- Filter icon: shift + ctrl key + mouse wheel changes filter type
- Filter icon: shift + alt key + mouse drag slows down change of filter threshold
- Mix control added (Note: please adjust if old projects are loaded)
- Tool tips added
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBProAudio View Post
Thank you!
We will consider in/out meters. Should not be a big deal
Thank you!

Quote:
+1 for Peak/RMS/Range meters and mix control.
Even better!

Quote:
- Tool tips added
Great! Downloading now!
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
2.0.3:
- Filter icon: shift key + mouse wheel slows down change of Q
- Filter icon: shift + ctrl key + mouse wheel changes filter type
- Filter icon: shift + alt key + mouse drag slows down change of filter threshold
- Tool tips added
Thanks TBPro, this is great (again)!

Really nice to have the global mix control, helps with transients and gainstaging too!

Tooltips are helpful, particularly with lower controls!

Some other feedback:

1) "Filter icon: shift key + mouse wheel slows down change of Q"

This is great to have, but current setting seems a bit slow. It would be better IMO if it was the same rate as when using shift on the Q slider in the lower GUI. They move by around 0.022 with fine-control, however on the nodes it seems to be movements of 0.010. With the nodes it has become a bit too much fine-control

2) Alt + mousewheel on nodes changes the threshold. It would seem to make sense to have fine-control here aswell with Alt + Shift + Mousewheel.

3) Using the mouse-wheel on the lower and side bars of the main EQ graph zooms the analyser in and out. Maybe have Alt + left-click on the bars to zoom back out fully (as Alt is the general UI reset modifier). Double click might be another option.

4) With the Gain-Reduction meters on the lower gui, it would be great to have a right-click menu to double the zoom of the range. At the moment doing even 5dB of GR only shows up less than a cm. The suggestion is just for the GR part not the Peak, and it would make sense if implemented that the menu choice would effect all GR meters at once.

Anyway, hope I am not bombarding with too many suggestions, particularly on the weekend! DEQ is getting better with each release!

Last edited by 4tune; 17th February 2019 at 11:01 PM..
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
1) "Filter icon: shift key + mouse wheel slows down change of Q"

This is great to have, but current setting seems a bit slow. It would be better IMO if it was the same rate as when using shift on the Q slider in the lower GUI. They move by around 0.022 with fine-control, however on the nodes it seems to be movements of 0.010. With the nodes it has become a bit too much fine-control

2) Alt + mousewheel on nodes changes the threshold. It would seem to make sense to have fine-control here aswell with Alt + Shift + Mousewheel.

3) Using the mouse-wheel on the lower and side bars of the main EQ graph zooms the analyser in and out. Maybe have Alt + left-click on the bars to zoom back out fully (as Alt is the general UI reset modifier). Double click might be another option.

4) With the Gain-Reduction meters on the lower gui, it would be great to have a right-click menu to double the zoom of the range. At the moment doing even 5dB of GR only shows up less than a cm. The suggestion is just for the GR part not the Peak, and it would make sense if implemented that the menu choice would effect all GR meters at once.
Thank you for our suggestions. Implementation should not be a big problem
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Nut

There are many dynamic EQs to choose from at the moment. Why is this one a favourite with some? Its late and I’m reading and don’t plan to download tonight...

I like the keenness of the dev and the clean interfaces
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPani View Post
There are many dynamic EQs to choose from at the moment. Why is this one a favourite with some? Its late and I’m reading and don’t plan to download tonight...
Reasons why this is my favorite dynamic EQ (and I own several competitors and have tried *many* of them on the market). It's really about the combination of features and attitude of the developer:

1) This is a basic requirement for me, but I want complete control over every dynamic filter including attack/release - not all dynamic EQs actually do this, including Fabfilter, for example, which I also own.

2) I want to see ALL the filters' info on the screen at once with their own individual peak and GR meters, in addition to a responsive real time analyzer that shows all the data I want. It's a lot of info to take in, and that's why a lot of dynamic EQs don't show as much info, but I really appreciate the layout and how much info it gives you, and you can customize how much is visible so you can focus on one thing at a time, or see everything at once.

3) Obvious things like l+r, m+s, sidechain options of course are common, but those kinds of features are all there and work great.

4) I want a highly efficient, lightweight, fast-loading, CPU-friendly, and reliable plugin. Easy win here. This is the OPPOSITE of bloated.

5) I appreciate good licensing terms and no heavy-handed copy protection with a simple installer. This has generous, trusting licensing. Plus it has good pricing and very generous upgrade policy.

6) I want to buy from a developer that does NOT try to sell you with sensationalistic marketing, hyperbole and celebrity endorsements. Just pure, simple, quality engineering. Almost scientific in approach. Love it.

7) I love the attention to detail of small, thoughtful features that all add up to excellent workflow... such as the quick narrow-band sweeping mode, frequency tracker, flexible real-time audio analyzer settings and excellent options, EQ overlays such as piano keys, etc... you'll be hard pressed to find a dynamic EQ that has all these same thoughtful details and options.

8) It must sound good of course. Well, it does.

9) Most importantly is the really first-class customer support. I've rarely seen a developer this responsive, and there have been several things I've asked for already that he's included in updates... not just a minor bug I found that he fixed in 24 hours, but some other usability requests he has already implemented or is working on right now. That is INCREDIBLE in my experience compared to other developers, and that makes the price even more worth it.

Basically, in a nutshell, this plugin sounds great, works great, is very efficient, modestly priced, good workflow (constantly getting better), reliable, has a great combo of very usable and in some cases unique features, and if you are missing a feature you want, he is very open to listen and take feedback, and might just do it.

What's not to like? Oh, it's not flashy and there are no celebrity endorsements.

He's also a nice guy and I like to support independent, high-quality developers with his exceptional attitude. He deserves more attention IMO, that's why I'm happy to spend a few minutes to reply to this question. I think people who care about high-quality, professional tools and don't care for flashy marketing will find a real gem here, and his plugins will become workhorses in every template.

Last edited by uarte; 18th February 2019 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: grammar and typos
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

2) I want to see ALL the filters' info on the screen at once with their own individual peak and GR meters, in addition to a responsive real time analyzer that shows all the data I want. It's a lot of info to take in, and that's why a lot of dynamic EQs don't show as much info, but I really appreciate the layout and how much info it gives you, and you can customize how much is visible so you can focus on one thing at a time, or see everything at once.

8) It must sound good of course. Well, it does.
Yes to all your points, but these two really do it for me. You can get results super quickly in regular daily use. And even when I'm doing fairly serious correction on problem sources, dEQ doesn't add or create any problems of its own. The compression they are using for the bands works extremely well to tame problem frequencies without being audible. I've tried many other dynamic EQs, and dEQ seems better in this area. Also, the EQ portion alone is very good.
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Maniac

As far as buying DEQ6, for me it was a combination of ergonomic and well designed UI, with good control over the bands. I'm finding very useful at sculpting sounds with nice results and low CPU.

Not much more to add to these previous posts regarding top-notch customer support! TBProAudio has been super responsive in this thead and via PM to any issues/ suggestions!

A thing to note is that the licenses are NFR when bought. However the non-time restricted demo does allow you to make sure you can test the plug in your own time. It will also save/ reload presets allowing proper testing over several sessions.

vs other dynamic eqs I have, it seems to bring the right balance of features and usability. There are lots of nice touches like the multi-threshold setting button and other macros.
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Nut

That’s a fanatic response. Much appreciated 4tune.
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Nut

Miss one or two s and the entire meaning changes. I have fat fingers.

Fanstastic response 4tune
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPani View Post
Miss one or two s and the entire meaning changes. I have fat fingers.
Still deserves a like, because it made me chuckle
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Update to V2.1.0

- Perceptual Loudness Matching (powered by AB-LM Lite)
- Input/Output meter
- DynamicEQ: detector narrow/full-band, internal/external
- GR meter modes: right click on GR meter sets meter range
- Spectrum view: alt key+mouse click on frequency, spectrum/EQ mag labels resets view settings
- GUI changes and fixes
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Maniac

A great release TBPro!

Thanks for including/ incorporating so much of the feedback via thread and PM!

The 'AB-LM Lite' is a nice surprise too, I will be trying that out for sure!

Having the new side-chain options per-band is fantastic! For anyone wondering, they are changed via the icon right of the solo button on each band:

I = Internal
I+ = Internal Full-Band
S = Side-Chain
S+ = Side-Chain Full-Band

So now you can for example put on a drum bus and have a High-Shelf (I+) band around 200Hz still responding to everything including the the kick, but mostly compressing the other drums, leaving the kick to breathe but still driving the compression on everything else. Lots of options to be playing around with there!

Thanks for doing the 'pointer-capture' thing on the sliders too. Saves having to track back to the control with the mouse when reaching the edge of the screen.

Small bug:

(Windows 7 64bit)

With the new pointer capture: When you are near the edge of your screen, say the bottom and you are adjusting one of the bottom sliders and dragging downwards, the value will suddenly stop short. It's as though the pointer actually does hit the edge of the screen, so you have to re-click and start dragging again to continue. It gets particularly pronounced when you use Shift for fine-tune aswell.
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
A great release TBPro!
Thank you!

Quote:
Small bug:

(Windows 7 64bit)

With the new pointer capture: When you are near the edge of your screen, say the bottom and you are adjusting one of the bottom sliders and dragging downwards, the value will suddenly stop short. It's as though the pointer actually does hit the edge of the screen, so you have to re-click and start dragging again to continue. It gets particularly pronounced when you use Shift for fine-tune aswell.
Tkank you for this. We will have look at it
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

V2.2.0

deleted

Last edited by TBProAudio; 1st March 2019 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: wrong thread :-)
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
- Perceptual Loudness Matching (powered by AB-LM Lite)
- Input/Output meter
- DynamicEQ: detector narrow/full-band, internal/external
- GR meter modes: right click on GR meter sets meter range
- Spectrum view: alt key+mouse click on frequency, spectrum/EQ mag labels resets view settings
- GUI changes and fixes
Indeed, what a great update! LOVE it!

I really like what he did with the in/out meter... and true to the developers's technical philosophy, he throws in many useful options -- peak, RMS, EBU, VU, M/S, etc...!!! He is still missing the kitchen sink, though!

And I'm really happy to have the AB-LM Lite perceptual loudness feature, thank you! Makes this plugin that much more valuable! Helps me think through my EQ choices better.

Also love the detector improvements, and other great refinements. Did not expect so many more useful features so soon.

TBH, I feel very fortunate to have stumbled into this developer -- he is a gem hidden out there in plugin market, and I'm hoping for his success.

dEQ6 has already become my go-to workhorse dynamic EQ, using it more and more, and I have many other great choices in my plugin library. It's the combination of features, options, efficiency, workflow, details, sound, usability, visual feedback, etc... and then the fact that he's such a great developer to work with, that I'm now a big fan. I picked up gEQ12 as well, and looking forward to more goodness!

Congrats to the developer!
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
- Filter Solo
- GUI corrections
(Note: this version is not compatible with previous version.
Before installation of new version, please rename previous version of plug-in to "gEQ12_old")
2.2 is for the gEQ12 thread -- assuming you accidentally posted it here -- but thank you for the filter solo button! And also the heads up about compatibility.
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
dEQ6 has already become my go-to workhorse dynamic EQ, using it more and more, and I have many other great choices in my plugin library. It's the combination of features, options, efficiency, workflow, details, sound, usability, visual feedback, etc...
What I'm liking so much with this one instead of say reaching for a multiband compressor for the same job, is the 'lack of clumsiness' with it. With some plugins, doing multiband work it is very easy to nudge a parameter/ crossover too far and suddenly the whole sound changes and you`ve got to carefully work back to get into the sweetspot again. With DEQ6 I`m finding it easy to move around a range/ area of values and not have those jarring slips.

Once you know the shortcuts aswell, most parameters are easily at hand. Not saying that I don`t have to stop and check to think what the next step is ever, but the ratio's pretty good

like you say using it more and more..

EDIT: @ TBProAudio , another small thing: there seems to be missing shift for fine-tune when left-click and dragging the threshold on the meters. It works for mouse-wheel but not left-drag.

Last edited by 4tune; 1st March 2019 at 04:27 PM..
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
What I'm liking so much with this one instead of say reaching for a multiband compressor for the same job, is the 'lack of clumsiness with it. With some plugins, doing multiband work it is very easy to nudge a parameter/ crossover too far and suddenly the whole sound changes and you`ve got to carefully work back to get into the sweetspot again. With DEQ6 I`m finding it easy to move around a range/ area of values and not have those jarring slips.
Agree completely. Great way to say it -- this "lack of clumsiness" is probably what appeals most to me. The design for some reason lends itself a bit more to reaching into the sound to get it closer to what you want without messing up other parts, better than similar plugins. I think it helps that the developer has given such great visual feedback and useful thoughtful options, that when combined with the sound quality and consistency, it turns into a well-balanced TOOL for day-in, day-out use. I'm honestly using this more than even FabFilter Pro-Q3 now. I'm very surprised by that.
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
EDIT: @ TBProAudio , another small thing: there seems to be missing shift for fine-tune when left-click and dragging the threshold on the meters. It works for mouse-wheel but not left-drag.
Thank you, fixed.
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fixed with 2.1.1:
- Filter Meter: shift/ctrl for slow/fast threshold change
Old 15th April 2019
Firstly, I'd like to say that I am impressed with this plugin. You're an awesome developer and I really love how you're the good ideas of the community of users, and interacting with them. Codo's.

Secondly, and I apologize if this seems like hijacking or belongs in another thread, but I am curious about what people think about how this dynamic eq sounds, when compared to ozone 8 dynamic eq, pro-q 3, sonnox, tdr nova, melda's dynamic and autodyneq, and possibly gullfoss and smarteq (if they're not completely static in how the AI shifts things... smarteq 2 seems to move, at least when the learn or arm buttons are activated, while gullfoss seems to shape things in a static AI manner, based on the audio).

I see that this is more for drawing in smoothly shaped curves, but I am mostly wondering about how the specific filtering types are handled and what people feel the resulting sound qualities and characteristics can be.

I think that this + gullfoss + soothe (if resonant high boosts become a proble), and DeEdger or Ozone Spectral Shaper (if transient highs or esses become an issue from high boosts), would be a killer combo. Perhaps, a TDR Nova or Ozone 8 Dynamic EQ at the beginning, to do finely tuned & more sharp taming of smaller problem areas... and this + gullfoss to add smooth shapes & bring out frequencies (with perhaps some slight coloration) would be pretty epic. If DMG EQuilibrium types of configurable filtering systems were integrated, it'd be a go-to all-in-one type of thing, for the next 20 years

Perhaps a better point than above, saved for last: combining what surferEQ does, with this more smoothly shaped dynamic EQ, would be epic. What I mean, is how it can wiggle an EQ point up and down a bit, as the audio plays through... to follow the keys that are present in the music. Of course, being able to turn the wiggling function up, down, or off, would be a clear necessity.

Any chance that the dev's of SurferEQ and you guys would collaborate on something like that?

Lastly, I'd love to see something like Airwindows BassKit (FOSS code) be combined into one of these higher end dynamic EQ's, in such a way that the basskit's shaping of tonality causes various types of reactions in how the dynamic EQ's behaviors will react to the music. The surferEQ type of wiggling would be especially awesome, with this type of thing. Thats just one of the things I can think of, when it comes to the Airwindows things. Other things, like Capacitor, Acceleration, and the things that are "like EQ, but not actually EQ," would be especially awesome. Another thing that comes to mind is harmonic excitement or saturation (perhaps, something similar to wavesfactory spectre, but built into a nice smoothly shaped dynamic EQ like this one, and allowing for the subtractive processes as well, so that specific spots can have the added excitement pulled right out of it... as it reacts, dynamically). Something like wavesfactory trackspacer could also be implemented for side-chain ducking types of processes... but that might become impossible within a true dynamic EQ, as wavesfactory is really a multiband compressor with a very large amount of bands. Perhaps, the audio coming into the side chain could be separted into the small bands, like waves factory... and then the processed audio could be a true dynamic EQ that allows the specific chunks of bands to kind of grab the EQ points & move them around a bit.

OK... I've rambled. Interested to see if you've got thoughts on all of that... or if I went overboard and will be ignored by another great dev!
Old 16th August 2019
Lives for gear

Update 2.1.6:
- Ableton Live/Studio One/FL Studio PDC fix
- Info menu
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search