The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HOFA-Plugins Releases SYSTEM EQ-Dynamic
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Nut

Software HOFA-Plugins Releases SYSTEM EQ-Dynamic

HOFA SYSTEM EQ-Dynamic is the latest suite that you can use in your DAW or connect them with each other in the HOFA SYSTEM environment.

SYSTEM EQ-Dynamic features adaptive control times for great sound shaping:
  • Up to 11 dynamic EQ bands and a precise analyser
  • 9 different filter types, 6 of them dynamic
  • Usable as a single plugin or in HOFA SYSTEM

Learn more at hofa-plugins.com

The musical EQ-Dynamic is now available on hofa-shop.com at an introductory price of 39,90 €.

Last edited by HOFA; 8th February 2019 at 03:58 PM..
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

I've been testing it, the interface of your plugins is a bit strange, sometimes it's very comfortable and sometimes it's the opposite.

I do not understand why the default plugins open with such a small size, is it possible to save a window size by default? This dynamic eq, the concept is very strange, you have to open a second sale to see the spectrum viewer and be able to work comfortably. Also the second window of the spectrum opens very small and again it needs to be expanded. Also the size of the fountain is very small.

As for the sound, it is magnificent as all your plugins. but you have to improve the interface a lot.
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

I always ignored the HOFA plugins but just started testing them and OMG, are they great! Downloaded the SYSTEM bundle and I am extremely impressed by the sound quality. The System EQ (standard) sounds incredibly transparent. More than any other EQ I own! This dyn EQ is the same just with dynamic function.

I prefer the sound to Nova GE, DDMF, Melda Dynamic EQ etc. Cutting upper mids is unbelievably transparent!!!!

I have no idea how they did that but they absolutely know what they're doing.

How long is the intro-price valid?
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
I always ignored the HOFA plugins but just started testing them and OMG, are they great! Downloaded the SYSTEM bundle and I am extremely impressed by the sound quality. The System EQ (standard) sounds incredibly transparent. More than any other EQ I own! This dyn EQ is the same just with dynamic function.

I prefer the sound to Nova GE, DDMF, Melda Dynamic EQ etc. Cutting upper mids is unbelievably transparent!!!!

I have no idea how they did that but they absolutely know what they're doing.

This is really interesting to me.
I am the same, always liked hofa but never jumped in as i have so much other stuff. I also have bitwig/ableton/ and melda MXXX so the modular thing i have covered and then some.
BUT i will get something if the quality is right. I have been on something of an EQ journey lately...and whilst i think Equilibrium is king, i wanted to find somehting a bit lighter for use on tracks.
I didn't get the pro 3 when it came out (maybe i should have) it has an insanely good workflow but i didnt find the sound as good as others (including the IK equal which i own)

I also tried crave EQ which i liked a lot, but sometimes found it a bit plastic sounding in the upper mids. I really like the DDMF eq - transparent, not fancy but doesn't colour the sound.
Then there is the Melda dynamic EQ - which has been my go to for ages when it comes to dynamic EQ. its probably the most flexible out there and the sound is good - though i don't think it competes with the top tier when it comes to static bands.

Would be nice to find an eq that does both. If only someone would do that and also include the feature that the DDMF has where you can EQ any instance from any instance window (whilst also viewing two analyzers at once)
To me that would be amazing.

I held of system 1 as i have so much stuff but i am going to try it now. these guys have made exceptional sounding stuff before, so maybe they did it again.

I do agree that the interface is a bit questionable - this goes back to the workflow thing. If we could combine the fabfilter workflow with the DDMF setup, whilst having proper dynamic bands with all the sidechain features, that would sell like hot cakes.

I am really shocked that not many people are talking about this. I searched the forum and basically nothing. I dont get it. when waves drops a new plug there are hundreds of pages, yet thes guys seem to be doing something genuinely interesting and there is not so much talk?!
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear

The feature of controlling all instances from one GUI is a specialty of DDMF IIEQ Pro, which I love but seems that I prefer the sound of the HOFA System EQ.

What I don't like is that you need to click the magnifying glass on the basic GUI to open the full view with the graphs/analyzer every time you load or open it.

I was also surprised that these plugins get so little attention, especially because I read "The GUI doesn't matter - It's all about the sound" on a daily basis on Gearslutz.

It does matter it seems. I wasn't even interested in these plugins until now, so there yo go....

I emailed HOFA asking/requesting a few ideas about the GUI and also asking for options regarding the analyzer's slope (can't stand this uneven version heh!)

Not sure if HOFA will make the System (dynamic) EQ more ergonomic, because they'd want you go buy their flagship IQ EQ for that but I will have to pull the trigger just for the sound quality!

Last edited by DrAudioBot; 18th February 2019 at 03:19 PM..
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear
Glad to see at least a few others enjoying this eq. Seems like Ive been a lonely fan of the eq in Mixbox which has my go-to on tracks when needed for a couple years replacing Epure. A lot of digital eqs claim to be transparent but its easy to hear what true clear transparency sounds like when using this eq. Unfortunately I dont see this eq making a wave either as has been noted by others that it just misses all the bells and whistles of what’s expected nowadays from a modern gui. I personally dont mind it but no longer even mention it in threads lol. However for clear transparent track shaping, this eq rocks. In general I do find myself not over-equalizing with these eqs due to their visual limitations and sound. However, for really hunting down what Im hearing, eqs like Equilibrium, ProQ3, Crave and Izotope (pick your poison) still remain relevant for critical work due to their toolkits or sound, especially on buses. Haven't tried the dynamic portion but workflow wise I much much prefer ProQ3 or even Nectar 3 for dynamic eq. Overall this is an eq, especially at this price, that should be taken serious.
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
The introductory price is available until March 18.
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Nut

I’ve had the same approach as others, not testing your products. I think this has more to do with visual identity, think FabFilter hype as a benchmark. You guys should work with a brand agency / DESIGN company with strong GUI / UX to catapult your brand awareness. Other companies like BlueCatAudio would benefit from the same. This stUff is just a important as quality DSP.
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPani View Post
I’ve had the same approach as others, not testing your products. I think this has more to do with visual identity, think FabFilter hype as a benchmark. You guys should work with a brand agency / DESIGN company with strong GUI / UX to catapult your brand awareness. Other companies like BlueCatAudio would benefit from the same. This stUff is just a important as quality DSP.
I was thinking this yesterday when looking at the Blue cat dynamics processor. Seriously advanced processor - but looks like ****.

Also, as a Melda MXXX owner and user - i know all about GUI's that are hard on the eyes. I love that plugin, but i really don't use it as much as i should.

DMG have absolutely nailed the GUI on their latest plugin. nicest i have seen. It makes working a breeze!
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
The feature of controlling all instances from one GUI is a specialty of DDMF IIEQ Pro, which I love but seems that I prefer the sound of the HOFA System EQ.

What I don't like is that you need to click the magnifying glass on the basic GUI to open the full view with the graphs/analyzer every time you load or open it.

I was also surprised that these plugins get so little attention, especially because I read "The GUI doesn't matter - It's all about the sound" on a daily basis on Gearslutz.

It does matter it seems. I wasn't even interested in these plugins until now, so there yo go....

I emailed HOFA asking/requesting a few ideas about the GUI and also asking for options regarding the analyzer's slope (can't stand this uneven version heh!)

Not sure if HOFA will make the System (dynamic) EQ more ergonomic, because they'd want you go buy their flagship IQ EQ for that but I will have to pull the trigger just for the sound quality!

Interesting. This is the thing for me, none of them do it all!
I love the DDMF workflow, love the equillibrium sound (still the best)
FF has the best overall plugin setup/workflow - and i STILL dont own it!!!

I have the melda stuff, which use a lot and really like - but it doesn't sound as good as the DMG.

At this rate im thinking maybe i should just go; DMG, FF finish. haha

Equillibrium for sound, FF for workflow.
As for dynamic eq - the only one that gets close to the melda in terms of functiionality is the Sony Oxford. which i may well have to get at some point.
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

good choice
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Nut

HOFA System looks pretty good in concept, but I'm wondering about the stability and CPU usage in general -- not just for this plugin... anyone have experience with those issues (both inside System and separately from System)? I've read of issues earlier on w/System, wondering if they've been resolved. The concept is intriguing, just wondering if it's going to cause me more headaches than benefits, and how solid this thing really is. Very cool though on paper.

Also agree on comments about why the need to open separate window for analyzer? Especially for the standalone plugin... inside HOFA System I can see the reasoning in terms of modules connected together... but the standalone workflow seems like it should be the other way around.... a more integrated/traditional analyzer/editor mode as the default... compact as an option.
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uarte View Post
HOFA System looks pretty good in concept, but I'm wondering about the stability and CPU usage in general -- not just for this plugin... anyone have experience with those issues (both inside System and separately from System)? I've read of issues earlier on w/System, wondering if they've been resolved. The concept is intriguing, just wondering if it's going to cause me more headaches than benefits, and how solid this thing really is. Very cool though on paper.

Also agree on comments about why the need to open separate window for analyzer? Especially for the standalone plugin... inside HOFA System I can see the reasoning in terms of modules connected together... but the standalone workflow seems like it should be the other way around.... a more integrated/traditional analyzer/editor mode as the default... compact as an option.
Good quesion, unfortunately i have no idea.. i want to try them (will soon) but have loads of projects going on atm and don't wanna rock the boat.
Maybe i will install them next wekend.
But yeah ultimately that (CPU consumption) is a big factor isnt i? its one of the reasons i don't use melda MXXX as much as i should.
The plugins themselves work well in mxxx, but as soon as you start adding modulation, the CPU hit goes through the roof. So now i just use bitwig or ableton devices to do stuff like that.

There is also kiloheartz. But although the kiloheartz is very good...it is a multiband plugin, whereas this is actually modular.

My concerns are - CPU (much like yourself)

Also i worry that they have siimplified the designs too much. If i am buying somerthing like this i want MORE control, not less.

Nobody buys modular stuff so they can have simplified plugins. But from what i have heard back from hofa (they have been really responsive) it seems like there is actually a lot you can do with sidechain inputs etc, so it is def worth checking out.

On the topic of the hofa dyn eq - two words FAB FILTER

honestly, if they want to sell more than a few of these, take some notes from tht eq. It has changed the way people look at eq and what they expect from an eq. People simply wont buy something that is a nightmare to uyse when they dont have to. No matter how good it sounds.
I have IK equal - i actually think it is one of the best eqs out there...the workflow is pretty damn good too, but the fact that it isnt as good as the ff workflow has doomed it as a product.

Who wants some extra window? Answer - literally nobody.
Maybe as an extra option, but really one window is all it should take.

Also an idea for HOFA - an analyser module that taps signal from any source (internal or external) so you can check for masking frequencies etc etc.
Same with oscilliscopes.
Old 20th February 2019
Gear Nut

Default window

Hi folks,

You can open the analyzer window and set it to default. If this is done, both windows will automatically be opened when you insert and use our EQ-Dynamic. Regarding the resize/default settings of the EQ-Dynamic main GUI: we will fix this issue with the next update.
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFA View Post
Hi folks,

You can open the analyzer window and set it to default. If this is done, both windows will automatically be opened when you insert and use our EQ-Dynamic. Regarding the resize/default settings of the EQ-Dynamic main GUI: we will fix this issue with the next update.
After using the eq for a longer period. I really think the EQ module needs an output gain. It sort of becomes a deal breaker considering the competition have it included as a standard.
Old 27th February 2019
Here for the gear

Great offer

Hmmm, really attractive intro price. Might be worth checking this one out!

Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
After using the eq for a longer period. I really think the EQ module needs an output gain. It sort of becomes a deal breaker considering the competition have it included as a standard.
If you use EQ-Dynamic in HOFA System, you can use the Gain plugin as a global output gain or simply insert a flat band as your last (or first) EQ band and change the gain this way.
The flat band method also works in the EQ-Dynamic plugin.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFA View Post
If you use EQ-Dynamic in HOFA System, you can use the Gain plugin as a global output gain or simply insert a flat band as your last (or first) EQ band and change the gain this way.
The flat band method also works in the EQ-Dynamic plugin.
Currently, I prefer to use it outside of the System. I'll use the flat band method for now, but if possible it would be nice to have an output directly on the EQ-Dynamic and maintain access to all bands. Im really enjoying it so far. Same high quality sound Ive come to expect. EQ-Dynamic and IQ-Reverb are my favorites so far. I plan to test and compare the Limiter with what I have available. Thanks.

Also could you give us a few days reminder ahead of the intro price ending date? While Im contemplating a purchase, I'd hate to outright just miss it.
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Also could you give us a few days reminder ahead of the intro price ending date? While Im contemplating a purchase, I'd hate to outright just miss it.
I will keep you updated.
Old 4th March 2019
Gear Nut

This interface is really a (bad) joke. After five minutes (I should have to open the manual to get started) I still don't know how to begin using this thing. Awful!
Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeUppsala View Post
This interface is really a (bad) joke. After five minutes (I should have to open the manual to get started) I still don't know how to begin using this thing. Awful!
You’ll get used to it soon. It really is a great product if you are after transparency. Unfortunately a lot of the modules for Mixbox have the same inherent unfamiliar workflow. Ive used their products for years so its intuitive for myself. If I can help you navigate a bit better feel free to shoot me a pm (Im not affiliated just a fan). I am a bit disappointed in the lack of keyboard shortcuts and a dedicated solo button however. I keep reaching for Izotope Nectar3 often when I need to get quick results. Eq-Dynamic does sound much better imo though.
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
You’ll get used to it soon. It really is a great product if you are after transparency. Unfortunately a lot of the modules for Mixbox have the same inherent unfamiliar workflow. Ive used their products for years so its intuitive for myself. If I can help you navigate a bit better feel free to shoot me a pm (Im not affiliated just a fan). I am a bit disappointed in the lack of keyboard shortcuts and a dedicated solo button however. I keep reaching for Izotope Nectar3 often when I need to get quick results. Eq-Dynamic does sound much better imo though.
I got half way there. I downloaded but have not tried yet. Just started in a new DAW (reaper) so there has been a lot to do.
I do hear you when it comes to the izotope stuff. I have tried to like it so many times, and whilst i do kind of like it...certainly hasn't made me use it.
for the cpu hit i never found neutron that great. The modules are incredibly limited and for me, the whole point of using 'digital' style stuff is to have all the options. So i just go with DMG nowadays.
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks! That sounds nice, since transperenty, in the case for me, beats color nine times of ten. Probably my view was the opposite a couple of years ago.
Old 10th March 2019
Gear Addict

Ok i finally tried the system out. It actually sounds really damn good. Love the Saturator and the Reverb in particular. Really, really nice.
Super impressed by the reverb.
I only tried it once last night (after wasting most of my demo) and i just listened back - i can confirm it sounds really great.
Going to try out the modulations today.
So far i have to say i am impressed.
i have not used it extensively enough to comment on the overal CPU usage, i will report back later.

Overall i agree on workflow - though i get the impression with a bit more time put in the workflow will become more fluid.

Rather than having the eq in a separate window, i think i would prefer it to just have a smaller state and an 'expanded' state. Then i could just leave it in expanded state. I basically never want it in the smaller state.

The normal parametric is very nice too! Could do with some expanded workflow enhancements, as mentioned (shortcuts etc) but it sounds great.
Old 11th March 2019
Gear Addict

Listening back today, my impressions are.
Once you get used to the Hofa system workflow, its actually pretty good. I was dropping things in the wrong area and making multiband splitters all the time, but now i seem to have the hang of it.

I do wish there were keyboard shortcuts for the EQ (and possibly other things) that would make it much quicker. If there has to be a separate window for the EQ, a shortcut to open it would be great. but as i said it would be nice to just enlarge it in the main window (just my opinion of course)

Now the important part - sound.
This thing sounds amazing! The reverb is really, very nice indeed. I really like it.
It actually reminds me of classic reverb units. It can sound modern too, but it really has that vibe about it. Very impressive - for a module in a modular package. This could be a great plugin in its own right. As with the saturator - very good indeed. It would be nice to have an 'ultra HQ' setting for rendering, i am used ot using the standard clip now, and on the highest oversampling settings, any aliasing is pretty much inaudible.

The EQs sound really great. My only complaint is we need attack and release on the dynamic EQ. It is quite hard to work with drums when you have no attack and release. Bit of a shame really.
If i had one overall point it would be - greater control over individual modules. I know its based around smaller modules that chain up to make something bigger, but greater control would be excellent.

Sound wise i cannot fault it. I am quite impressed.
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
Once you get used to the Hofa system workflow, its actually pretty good. I was dropping things in the wrong area and making multiband splitters all the time, but now i seem to have the hang of it.

I do wish there were keyboard shortcuts for the EQ (and possibly other things) that would make it much quicker. If there has to be a separate window for the EQ, a shortcut to open it would be great. but as i said it would be nice to just enlarge it in the main window (just my opinion of course)

This thing sounds amazing! The reverb is really, very nice indeed. I really like it.
It actually reminds me of classic reverb units. It can sound modern too, but it really has that vibe about it. Very impressive - for a module in a modular package. This could be a great plugin in its own right. As with the saturator - very good indeed. It would be nice to have an 'ultra HQ' setting for rendering, i am used ot using the standard clip now, and on the highest oversampling settings, any aliasing is pretty much inaudible.

The EQs sound really great. My only complaint is we need attack and release on the dynamic EQ. It is quite hard to work with drums when you have no attack and release. Bit of a shame really.
If i had one overall point it would be - greater control over individual modules. I know its based around smaller modules that chain up to make something bigger, but greater control would be excellent.

There should be online and offline oversampling up x32 in the upper right corner of the mixbox and definitely on the dynamic eq if you haven't checked that out yet. Sounds good as well. Glad a few more dipping their toes into Hofa.

Ive bee shooting out their IQ-Limiter with ProL2 and it sounds good as well. Maintains more transients and punch with that same Hofa clear transparency. Very limited controls and readouts though which is shame as I find DMG Limitless and Pro-L2 have really set expectations of what modern tools need at this price range to be considered seriously.
Old 11th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
There should be online and offline oversampling up x32 in the upper right corner of the mixbox and definitely on the dynamic eq if you haven't checked that out yet. Sounds good as well. Glad a few more dipping their toes into Hofa.

Ive bee shooting out their IQ-Limiter with ProL2 and it sounds good as well. Maintains more transients and punch with that same Hofa clear transparency. Very limited controls and readouts though which is shame as I find DMG Limitless and Pro-L2 have really set expectations of what modern tools need at this price range to be considered seriously.
Oh yeah! Thanks for that. I thought i had read '32x oversampling' somewhere.. Thats awesome.

I will try the limiter - i seem to remember trying it years back.
Yeah i agree - i use DMG more than anything else these days. They really have raised the bar. In terms of sound, but also GUI and analysis.

In terms of limiters i tend to find limitless and Elevate to be the best, though i haven't tried Pro L2 all that much. I have left fabfilter out a bit really, it feels like since i already use DMG so much, it seems like i might have a lot of a similar thing. Though i do really like Pro C!!

All in all i agree though, more control, more metering is always good for 'proudly digital' products.

I wonder how long the sale is on for. I would actually like to get this package.
Old 11th March 2019
Gear Addict

By the way, to those just using individual modules - you owe it to yourself to try the modular package. I just rememred - thats the whole point of this thing, right??
I have (until now) just been testing individual modules for their sound. Afterall, i already have a number of modular plugins, so if i am to buy another one, it will be because it sounds great.
Wit that said, after a few minutes of playing with the various modular devices, i can say, this thing is really, really interesting. There is a hell of a lot you can do.
Folders are great - you can create amazing sub chains.

Something as simple as a folder with a saturator + EQ before and after. Simple high and low shel on the way in and on the way out - boosting or cutting on the way in, and the opposite on the way out. then save as sub patch.

The fact that you can save sub patches means you can set up all your favourite little productions tricks and just recall them any time, in the middle of any patch. Pretty cool. I think this would work really well for me on individual tracks.
I have a lot fo my busses set up pretty well in my template, the plugins there tend to stay fairly similar.
But track by track, things change quite a lot, so having something where you can call up individual sub patches could be a real time saver!
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post

I agree, HOFA System is impressive and the reverb is as good or better than the competition, it is one of my favorite ones!

Good news is that you can buy it separately as a normal plugin, as well as some of the other modules -> HOFA SYSTEM All Bundle | HOFA-Plugins

Regarding attack and release on the dynamic EQ they are intentionally not part of this product as you can get the IQ-EQ which has all of the additional features.
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
I agree, HOFA System is impressive and the reverb is as good or better than the competition, it is one of my favorite ones!

Good news is that you can buy it separately, as well as some of the other modules -> HOFA SYSTEM All Bundle | HOFA-Plugins

Regarding attack and release on the dynamic EQ they are intentionally not part of this product as you can get the IQ-EQ which has all of the additional features.
Isnt it??? I am amazed by the reverb. I prefer it to almost all of mine!! Love the saturator also. I have to say, i really like this system for individual tracks, i have barely scratched the surface and there are so many ways to use this.

I do appreciate the decision on the dynamic eq - but just from the standpoint of wanting hofa system to be able to accomplish anything you want, it would be really nice to be able to do it all in there.
If i am making a complex patch, then have to have an extra dynamic eq as well - it kind of misses the point a bit.
I have found myself wanting dynamic eq in sub patches, but was unable to get desired results (mostly on drums and arps) without att/rel controls.

This isnt just a critique of the Hofa one - it is the same with Pro Q3, Neutron etc - it is the reason i never use those as dynamic eqs.

Can't wait to see what they add to this, but i want it already.
I already have MXXX and a couple other modular plugs, but this occupies a really nice space in amongst them.

I have had a few crashes when creating folders and then exporting controls to the folder surface and moving them. But i will keep going and see if it persists much
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search