The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SKnote release TwinR Tube Guitar Amplifier - A detailed model from pickup to speaker.
Old 10th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarikusBrainz View Post
How are we supposed to use your pedal effects with these amps as there's no way to load them between the modelled pickup and amp
If you want to follow theory, you can set pickup model to "Modern", as that one mimics the current huge impedance inputs, so less interaction. Then the pedals (ours) take care of that part.
Otherwise, you can just select what sounds better to you.

(You can easily feel the contribution of the pickup modelling part by switching back and forth between Vintage and Modern. The contribution to the sound should be quite blatant.)
Old 10th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMorgan View Post
I am.

Life long fan of Premiata, Locanda delle Fate, Museo Rosenbach, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso and Le Orme here.

Italy has produced MANY amazing prog bands in the seventies. Too bad that a lot of people don't know them.

Cheers!
That is a great list.
They made me want to get a new flute and start studying prog on that one again :D

We are loving that stuff so much that we are going to start "Mellotron style" recording next week (I mean brand new original "tapes", not sampling the usual vintage ones). Starting with flute (not me), volin and cello.
Let me know if you have ideas about this crazy stuff.
Our main concern is how to get those 8 secs notes on bass flute from the musician (lots of air needed ).
Old 10th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
The possibility of direct out meaning cab bypassed?
I think we are adding a *full range" option, so we can use external cabinets, too. Even though I'm not so convinced about the meaning of breaking models of these amps that make special sense exactly because of their character.
We could also add cone options to them.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Gentle Giant are another great source for inspiration if you are in that kind of sound:

YouTube
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Gentle Giant are another great source for inspiration if you are in that kind of sound:

YouTube
Yes, absolutely! I still listen to The Power And The Glory frequently, and it still blows my mind, even after having listened to it hundreds of times. Beautiful!
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear
I've been pleasantly surprised with DeluxeR and now TwinR from a tone/performance perspective. They feel great and sound great too. I prefer these to other Fender amp sims I own. TwinR sounded great through my Jazzmaster yesterday, including when running hardware stompboxes in front of it.

Quinto, care to elaborate on what the Vintage/Modern pickup settings actually do and when to use one versus the other? Is that feature like the Hi/Lo inputs on a guitar amp and there to deal with the different impedence loads from say a passive versus active pickup?

Also, it's kind of a tease to see the edge of a Bright switch that we cannot control.

EDIT:
Originally had some comments about some clicking on a Rhodes but it looks like it's just the input jack acting up and not the plugin.

Last edited by Funkybot; 11th February 2019 at 10:47 PM..
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks, really glad here!

The two pickup options available (so far): Vintage models the interaction between a guitar pickup and amp's input stage. Modern, while keeping the model active, sets parameters to the interaction between the pickup and a modern,vextremely high impedance input buffer. You can think of Modern like "disabled".
We are adding explicit pickup models there.

Using it with a virtual Rhodes: we are releasing our own model ("BrassBars") so expect some deep tests with that. You can also write by email if you want to go a bit deeper about that and your audio.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Using it with a virtual Rhodes: we are releasing our own model ("BrassBars") so expect some deep tests with that. You can also write by email if you want to go a bit deeper about that and your audio.
Wasn't a virtual Rhodes at all. It was an actual 1976 Mark 1 going into the Hi-Z input of a Stam SA-73 with Sowter transformers. I'll try it again and see what happens. I'll also try both pickup options this time.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Oh, sorry, my fault.
We are also testing it with a MarkII here.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Oh, sorry, my fault.
We are also testing it with a MarkII here.
Just tried it today and I think the issue is actually on my side. The connection at the input is starting to go causing a click on the attack when playing bass notes (probably some sympathetic vibration). Likely just needs to be resoldered.

Sorry for what looks like a false alarm.
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
I didn't really know that was what I'm supposed to do... I just put the pedals wherever they sound best, sometimes in front of the amp and sometimes after it. Technically I guess you're probably right, but I just do what I want to do and if ti sounds good to me, I'm happy
More of a rhetorical question as it's just software but serious in terms of what Quinto is trying to achieve by releasing these realistic modelled setups if a realistic signal chain can't be created
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, the real setup should be emulated, I agree with you.
Set pickup to Modern if you are using something between the guitar and the amp, that's all.
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Just tried it today and I think the issue is actually on my side. The connection at the input is starting to go causing a click on the attack when playing bass notes (probably some sympathetic vibration). Likely just needs to be resoldered.

Sorry for what looks like a false alarm.
Programmer's relief!
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

Talking of sounds and Mellotron and more, this is such a classic...

Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

Anybody getting the same great results on electric piano we are getting? Real or virtual?
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

I'm probably missing something, but is there a way to demo this plug?
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear
You're not missing anything. SKNote offers a refund, but no demos.
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
You're not missing anything. SKNote offers a refund, but no demos.
Well that's unfortunate. Thank you for answering though.
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear

Getting great sounds on electric bass, too, Using this and Deluxe1 for bass on all the demos you are hearing, until we have the BMan out.
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, the real setup should be emulated, I agree with you.
Set pickup to Modern if you are using something between the guitar and the amp, that's all.
Can you elaborate?

Quote:
Anybody getting the same great results on electric piano we are getting? Real or virtual?
Yes, and what is BrassBars, a PM EP?
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear

If you want to be extremely precise about the model, setiing pickup to Modern when you insert some real or virtual pedals between the realtime or pre-recorded-DI guitar is the way to go.
Otherwise, you canchoose what you like and keep the pickup to Vintage, as I prefer.

Yes, BrassBars is our PM E-piano we are releasing, you can hear it wherever there is an EP in all these demos about pedals and amps.

Last edited by quintosardo; 18th February 2019 at 03:42 PM..
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

I also discovered how I like the raw sounds in the so underrated "Supertramp" album. They sounded so much more "Prog" than the actual style they adopted in their finally successful formation.

Last edited by quintosardo; 19th February 2019 at 12:35 PM..
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quite nice review for TwinR here:

TWINR – Honest Amp Sim Reviews

Too nice? looks like it isn't :D
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

10/10? So, room for improvement then

I'm liking it a lot, although I'm running it with an overdrive or distortion pedal in front of it. I'm really liking the sound, much more attack and cut than say Deluxe1, which is fuller and fatter. Lovely to have the choice of sounds, just wish I could play the guitar better.
Old 20th February 2019
Here for the gear

Hi, just purchased TwinR for Mac as an audio unit and it’s causing Logic X opening crash 100% of the times.
I installed and reinstalled but it’s working only if I make a new project.
Not really convinced...
Can I get a refund please?
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear

Hi, please write to quintosardo at yahoo dot it, this is an incomplete installation issue
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear

DComp compressor going out today. Sounds great with clean sounds through this amp
(Or as a sustainer for overdrive...)
Old 21st February 2019
Gear Addict

What's with the super-subtle reverb on this one?
Old 21st February 2019
Gear Addict

Otherwise sounds really good though - but also uses insane amounts of CPU for that
Old 21st February 2019
Lives for gear

Not a model with any shortcut, about 5% on a quite old computer here...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search