The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Unveils New Flagship Nearfield and Midfield Monitors: Trio11 Be Studio Monitors
Old 25th January 2019
News Desk Editor

Focal Unveils New Flagship Nearfield and Midfield Monitors: Trio11 Be

Focal Unveils New Flagship Nearfield and Midfield Monitors: Trio11 Be-trio11be_34_trio.jpg

Focal Unveils New Flagship Nearfield and Midfield Monitors: Trio11 Be

New professional audio 3-way monitors feature a 5-inch midrange, a 10-inch subwoofer, and Focal’s signature pure Beryllium inverted dome tweeter, set for March 2019 availability

Anaheim, CA — NAMM — January 24, 2019 — At the 2019 Winter NAMM show, Focal Professional unveiled their new flagship audio monitors, the “Trio11 Be.” The new monitors feature a 5-inch midrange, a 10-inch subwoofer, and Focal’s signature pure Beryllium inverted dome tweeter. Set for March 2019 availability, the Trio11 Be street price is $3,999 USD each. Focal is distributed in the US and Canada by Focal Naim America (formerly known as Audio Plus Services).

Focal Professional monitors are designed from the very first step in the R&D process to reproduce the sound signal in a natural and precise way. Year after year, Focal engineers continue to push the boundaries of innovation to provide sound professionals with increasingly high performance working tools. Today, the brand unveils Trio11 Be, a new benchmark in studio monitors that is 100% made in France and makes it possible to work in the nearfield and midfield.

More Power and Less Noise
In designing Trio11 Be, Focal wanted both more power and less noise. And Focal succeeded. In addition to new speaker drivers, a 5" midrange and a 10" subwoofer, the loudspeaker employs the brand’s very latest acoustic and electronic technologies, which reduce distortion even further. TMD (Tuned Mass Damper) technology surrounding the 5” driver offers more control and less distortion; NIC (Neutral Inductance Circuit) technology creates a stabilized magnetic flux, and optimized vents promote dynamic control and perfect bass definition. The high excursion gives the speaker driver even more linearity, and thanks to these technologies, Focal has managed to combine powerful amplifiers with high-efficiency and high-power handling speaker drivers while ensuring the absence of noise, the reproduction of the tiniest details and the precision of the stereo image.

A Highly Versatile Loudspeaker
Like Trio6 Be, Trio11 Be comprises a 3-way monitor and a 2-way monitor, which makes it possible to check the sound quality of the mix by using FOCUS mode - a Focal innovation - that is remote controlled and can be activated by pressing a foot pedal. Because of the Class G amplification used on the midrange and the subwoofer, Trio11 Be delivers a high SPL - 118 dB at 3.3 feet (1 meter) - and is extremely versatile when it comes to nearfield usage and installation configurations, as well as the midfield use. Versatile and powerful, this monitor responds perfectly to the needs of both modern music and the most exacting sound engineers, providing an extended bandwidth of 30 Hz-40 kHz.

Dynamics, Neutrality, and Precision
A Focal signature, the pure Beryllium inverted dome tweeter was a natural fit for Trio11 Be, offering a perfectly linear frequency response and a detailed reproduction of the treble. Its exclusive profile guarantees optimum energy transfer from the coil to the dome making a high-efficiency tweeter capable of covering 5 octaves from 1000 to 40,000 Hz, while also promising wide sound dispersion. The 10" subwoofer’s ‘W’ sandwich cone enables veritable optimization of the frequency response thanks to precise control of the rigidity, lightness, and damping. The balance between these three fundamental parameters is the basis of the monitor’s incredible sound neutrality.

A Rotating Baffle and Meticulous Finishes
The aluminum baffle incorporating the tweeter and woofer is adjustable through 360°, in 90° increments, so Trio11 Be can be used either vertically or horizontally. This function makes it possible to optimize the monitor’s performance based on its positioning in the room and the room acoustics.
Finally, the cabinet, developed and manufactured by Focal in its cabinetry workshop in Bourbon-Lancy in France, consists of two side panels and a body in MDF measuring between 13/16" (21mm) and 1 3/16" (30mm) thick: an indicator of the quality of each material chosen, combined with careful attention to the finishes. Trio11 Be has two side panels in a natural dark red burr-ash veneer and a black central body, for an aesthetic rendering that is also discreet and hardwearing.

Focal is distributed by Focal-Naim America (formerly Audio Plus Services) in the US and Canada, the Trio11 Be street price is $3,999 USD each, the new monitors are set for March 2019 availability.

For more information on Focal Professional Trio11 Be monitors, please visit: 404 | Focal | Listen Beyond audio
Attached Thumbnails
Focal Unveils New Flagship Nearfield and Midfield Monitors: Trio11 Be-trio11be_34_trio.jpg  
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

They look huge next to the older models.
Old 26th January 2019
I see they have added a protective grid to the tweeter. Nice idea ... I wonder if its for transport only or it stays there?
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamad View Post
I see they have added a protective grid to the tweeter. Nice idea ... I wonder if its for transport only or it stays there?
Considering they come with removable covers (I think I saw a photo somewhere), I would guess that it stays.
Attached Thumbnails
Focal Unveils New Flagship Nearfield and Midfield Monitors: Trio11 Be-screenshot_2019-01-26-trio11-nearfield-midfield-monitoring-loudspeaker-.jpg  

Last edited by 47radAR; 26th January 2019 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: Found the photo...
Old 26th January 2019
These seem like very nice midfield monitors.
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47radAR View Post
Considering they come with removable covers (I think I saw a photo somewhere), I would guess that it stays.
Once you remove those outer covers, the tweeter on the Trio 6 Be then has yet another protective cover to remove. So I'm also guessing the new model's (metal?) tweeter cover stays in place which given the dire warnings they give about damaging it being harmful to your health is a pretty wise move.
Old 27th January 2019
Here for the gear

I listened to these today. Focal had a nice room set up with some mild treatment. The Trio 11 Be is really spectacular. Large, too. But really an amazing set of monitors.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Broken link above; this one should work:

Trio11 Be - Nearfield & Midfield monitoring loudspeaker | Focal | Listen Beyond
Old 27th January 2019
How can they say a ten inch woofer is good for near field applications. Monitors this size are mid fields monitors.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

So is this their new flagship? What about the SM9? I've heard the Focal Trios and I have a pair of the Twins. I personally didn't think the Trios sounded better than the Twins and I'm just wondering if that's the case here too. From what I've heard about the SM9, it's leagues ahead of the Trios and Twins.
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
How can they say a ten inch woofer is good for near field applications. Monitors this size are mid fields monitors.
I don't follow... The large woofer only means that there is more headroom and less distortion on the lower frequencies. It would be the same as you using a subwoofer along with near-fields with 5" woofers, only this would have a better phase response, tuned cabinet/crossover, and give you stereo subs. I've seen plenty of studios with at least one subwoofer under the console to help the low end response of the near-fields.

Why do you need a BIG Studio Monitors even in the small Control Rooms?
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You can turn the woofer on/off with a foot switch, so it's essentially two monitors in one.
Old 27th January 2019
Near fields are only a couple of feet from you, Mid fields due to their size you need to be further back and have a large enough room.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
So is this their new flagship? What about the SM9? I've heard the Focal Trios and I have a pair of the Twins. I personally didn't think the Trios sounded better than the Twins and I'm just wondering if that's the case here too. From what I've heard about the SM9, it's leagues ahead of the Trios and Twins.
I definitely prefer the original Trio’s over the SM9, after auditioning them both twice in two different rooms. To my ears, the SM9 is fantastic for producing, it can be loud and bombastic, but when it comes to mixing, I think they are not very precise, I feel like the bass is slow, instead of fast and controlled. I also feel like there is some phasing issue between the large woofer and the mid woofer. I don’t hear these issues with the Trio’s. But this is just my opinion, I personally know a few people who enjoy the SM9 a lot and I believe these people to be highly skilled producers and/or mixing engineers, so who am I to say they are wrong/mistaken. I guess to each there own.

Having said that, I’m happy to see they made their new flagship monitor based on the design of the smaller Trio, not the SM9 ;-)
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Barefoots are used as ”nearfields” right in same positions NS10’s lived. I preferred Trios to Twins. Something about SM9s I didn’t like but I never did a session with them.
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
I once heard a pair of Trio6 in a good room and they where phenomenal. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of sub frequencies for a speaker that size. That's what got me interested in the SM9 as they were supposed to have a similar sound with extended bass.
Old 28th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47radAR View Post
I once heard a pair of Trio6 in a good room and they where phenomenal. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of sub frequencies for a speaker that size. That's what got me interested in the SM9 as they were supposed to have a similar sound with extended bass.
The SM9 does offer more lower frequencies and a different solid low end which is amazing.

If my studio was bigger and I needed mid field monitors to work with my Twins, I would look no further than the Trio 11's.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsonics View Post
Once you remove those outer covers, the tweeter on the Trio 6 Be then has yet another protective cover to remove. So I'm also guessing the new model's (metal?) tweeter cover stays in place which given the dire warnings they give about damaging it being harmful to your health is a pretty wise move.
I just saw a video in which the Focal rep says they were tuned with the grill so that confirms that.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The SM9 does offer more lower frequencies and a different solid low end which is amazing.

If my studio was bigger and I needed mid field monitors to work with my Twins, I would look no further than the Trio 11's.
How big is your studio?
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

I guess the upper portion rotates?
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
I guess the upper portion rotates?
It does.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Addict

Can anyone explain why they have two ports in the high/mid portion of this design?

Surely they don't need any ports to re-inforce the mid range and the phase damage done in that area would be pretty catastrophic????

*edit* it just struck me that perhaps the mid/tweeter unit isn't sealed and the ports just act to fortify the main slot on the bottom?

Does anyone know how the design works and why the peculiar placement of those ports?

Last edited by africantigercow; 28th January 2019 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: extra questions
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post
Can anyone explain why they have two ports in the high/mid portion of this design?

Surely they don't need any ports to re-inforce the mid range and the phase damage done in that area would be pretty catastrophic????

*edit* it just struck me that perhaps the mid/tweeter unit isn't sealed and the ports just act to fortify the main slot on the bottom?

Does anyone know how the design works and why the peculiar placement of those ports?
My buddy has the trios and it's the same thing. It's not a port - it's a handle so you can grab it and rotate the baffle if needed.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Head

Since Focal are presenting this model as their new flagship monitor we can assume that they will no longer sell the SM9 in the future.

I am following this closely as I acquired the Trios 6 last year after using the Twins plus sub for years before that.

To me, in my room, the difference between the two systems is phenomenal.

Lately, I have experienced a couple of mixes that translated a tad bass heavy, around 40-50Hz, so I wondered if a bass extension was needed.

Hence my interest in checking those 11s
Old 28th January 2019
I thought the same thing about the SM9's when they talked about these new monitors as their flagship
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Maniac

I own the SM9 and i would like to hear more info about from focal about this new speaker, because in the website the SM9 are still in the "flagship" area.

Daniel.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post

In two way mode (FOCUS mode), the largest woofer is deactivated and only the drivers on the circle are in use. The "midrange" is then the woofer and the ports reinforce that output.

It's the same as on the current Trios.

Shaggy2039, your friend is very wrong. They are ports.

Quote from Focal (bolded by me):
Quote:
The 5” W composite sandwich cone woofer is installed in an isolated chamber within the cabinet that prevents the sympathetic activation of its other speakers while optimising its acoustic performance. Two front-facing ports provide bass reflex, enabling the woofer to perform identically in both two-way (90Hz – 2.5kHz) and three-way (250Hz – 2.5kHz) configurations.
Monitor Trio6 Be - Focal | Focal | Listen Beyond
Old 29th January 2019
Here for the gear

The Focal guy at NAMM said they aren't making any more SM9s. This is the new flagship.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelbyVP View Post
The Focal guy at NAMM said they aren't making any more SM9s. This is the new flagship.
Good to know, thank you.

Now i want to know how they compare

Daniel.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
In two way mode (FOCUS mode), the largest woofer is deactivated and only the drivers on the circle are in use. The "midrange" is then the woofer and the ports reinforce that output.

It's the same as on the current Trios.
Interesting- and then with a lower port tuning you get little-to-no phase shift from the ports at the higher crossover frequency of the 3 way mode. Maybe the only downside is a crossover frequency much higher than 100hz will allow for some doppler distortion if the woofer is doing high excursion...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search