The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focal Unveils New Flagship Nearfield and Midfield Monitors: Trio11 Be
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
Trios all the way down to 28Hz...not bad. I wonder what the -dB would be at that point. I'll make a guess that it's probably -6 or -7dB as it's 35Hz at -3dB. I wonder what it does at flat? My guess maybe 40Hz. Not bad for an 8 inch driver.

Conversely the ADAM S3V (which is another great monitor) is flat at 40Hz but drops to about -9dB at 30Hz (from one review I had read) but usable at 32Hz.

Two choices for me and price is around the same.
Very faint and obviously not useable. 35 is def. useable.

Shaggy, theyve always been analytical for me. Thinking of goin back to two way as well. Gonna try a couple more first.
The trios gave me a revalation about my low end I don’t think I would have ever known without it. I feel like I can transfer that knowledge now
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Addict

How would the Trio6 compare to the ADAM S3V in terms of mids and bass? I know the high end will be different, that's a given. But bass and mids would be interesting in how they compare.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
Very faint and obviously not useable. 35 is def. useable.

Shaggy, theyve always been analytical for me. Thinking of goin back to two way as well. Gonna try a couple more first.
The trios gave me a revalation about my low end I don’t think I would have ever known without it. I feel like I can transfer that knowledge now
When you mentioned your mixes turning out boxy - was that after mixing on the Trios or the SM9?

For me it's just more of an inconsistency thing that's happening. Like some of my mixes I'm noticing the overall spectrum is really good after mixing on the Twins and other times it's off. I also think the Twins aren't great at giving front to back information. So alot of reverbs in my mix sound much louder on other sources.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
When you mentioned your mixes turning out boxy - was that after mixing on the Trios or the SM9?

For me it's just more of an inconsistency thing that's happening. Like some of my mixes I'm noticing the overall spectrum is really good after mixing on the Twins and other times it's off. I also think the Twins aren't great at giving front to back information. So alot of reverbs in my mix sound much louder on other sources.
Sm9. Of course I could get used to it, but I don’t have time for that. I had sold my ns10s, and brystons. Felt lame buying 6k monitors and another pair just for production.

That’s what I was trying to tell you months ago. The trios have that front to back imaging that the twins are missing and doesn’t have that husky high end that sounds like someone put an s1 imager on it on full blast.

When the dynaudio cores came out I saw a couple people put their woofers on top with their mids at the very bottom and the tweeter in between and then I saw people do that with the trios. I copied, I was shocked to find out that’s the ultimate position for this type of set up. I’ve been loving them ever since and have zero problems with translation at all! Not one complaint in that department. Prior I was having a hard time with my kick drums translating to headphones. Now the only thing for me is vibe, and speed of production. I’m finding I’m constantly replacing and tweaking sounds, because now I can see all the possibilities, a little too much. I live in a residential area and I don’t know why, I had this problem with atc scm45a too in a pro studio, I feel this need to drive them constantly which isn’t good for my neighbor.

Sounds stupid, but I learned how to properly gate kick drums in conjunction to the song I’m working on. i had been doing it for years incorrectly. Also the illusion of a wide track having to do with compression and balance of drums in relation to the color of the instruments. An invaluable technique I feel like I can take with me anywhere now. When you work with really accurate monitors that poke out audio illusions on mastered tracks it’s going to sound odd, you just have to get past that, listen and copy if it’s mixing you’re doing. Sorry for the rant, but that pretty much sums up the trios.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
How would the Trio6 compare to the ADAM S3V in terms of mids and bass? I know the high end will be different, that's a given. But bass and mids would be interesting in how they compare.
I have no idea I would have loved to try the new Adams but their size has put me off from them. Don’t think I’ll be buying anything that big for my personal use again though. I heard from someone who’s heard the s3xh say the bass on them were better than the trios in terms of speed. I believe them too. For me, I can’t have more bass than I have right now. Also, knowing Adams. The highs on the s3xh or mids won’t be no where near as accurate as the focals probably more vibes though but I can’t lie s3xh is probably the perfect speaker for me, but I can’t get kicked out of my spot, and the port chuffing would seriously piss me off. Can’t say much about the newer ones, although streaky posted an odd video of them, which low key makes me think I should stay clear lol. I don’t want to say what I’m going to try next until I have it with me haha
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Addict

https://en.audiofanzine.com/active-m...ty-giants.html

SM9 shows a fairly steep roll-off starting at around 40Hz (maybe 39Hz), but that roll off is quite significant, and seems to be around 16dB down at 30Hz and flat at 40Hz.

What's going on here? Is it the room, or is this speaker actually really capable of putting out 30Hz at the specified -3dB? If it is the room, it must be a very small room to produce that sort of loss of extreme low bass.
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
https://en.audiofanzine.com/active-m...ty-giants.html

SM9 shows a fairly steep roll-off starting at around 40Hz (maybe 39Hz), but that roll off is quite significant, and seems to be around 16dB down at 30Hz and flat at 40Hz.

What's going on here? Is it the room, or is this speaker actually really capable of putting out 30Hz at the specified -3dB? If it is the room, it must be a very small room to produce that sort of loss of extreme low bass.
Sm9 puts out that much power down low. They weigh 80 pounds each
Old 16th May 2019
Gear Addict

From the frequency response measurements I've seen it steeply drops off @ 40Hz.

I do know they weigh 80 pounds but maybe that's because of the massive heatsinks and the radiator housing?

Not sure why in the frequency response graphs I see in reviews is a steep drop off below 40Hz. If they do put out 30Hz at -3dB where are the frequency response graphs at Focal?

Last edited by barbital; 17th May 2019 at 04:47 AM..
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

Had a chance to audition these at KMRAudio yesterday. Gotta say was really disappointed. Had the same family of Focal sound as the Solo and Twin, but I found its presentation very flat, flat soundstage flat dynamics and just a bit wishy washy sound. Not impressed at all.
Old 17th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
Had a chance to audition these at KMRAudio yesterday. Gotta say was really disappointed. Had the same family of Focal sound as the Solo and Twin, but I found its presentation very flat, flat soundstage flat dynamics and just a bit wishy washy sound. Not impressed at all.
How was the setup in the store? Did you manage to compare to any other (especially comparable) monitors?
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Something doesn't sound right here. These are supposed to rival the SM9 and the few impressions I've read of them is that they are incredible.
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Are these the Trio11s? If so, I'm surprised that they would not impress. They would have a beefier bass than the SM9 owing to the much larger bass driver.

I would imagine it's the midrange driver that you are referring to? I've heard a few different opinions on either side of the fence on this, especially when comparing to the SM9. Some like the mids a little more forward while others don't. I enjoy meaty mids so perhaps the Trio11 would, at least for me, be better than than the SM9. But I guess it's horses for courses.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are these the Trio11s? If so, I'm surprised that they would not impress. They would have a beefier bass than the SM9 owing to the much larger bass driver.

I would imagine it's the midrange driver that you are referring to? I've heard a few different opinions on either side of the fence on this, especially when comparing to the SM9. Some like the mids a little more forward while others don't. I enjoy meaty mids so perhaps the Trio11 would, at least for me, be better than than the SM9. But I guess it's horses for courses.
It’s simple. If you want the older mid range driver, have an infinity for bass and don’t usually play music really loud for clients go with sm9. if you want the newer mid range driver, like to play somewhat loud to get a feel go with trio 6. if you want new mid range and more Bass and nearly unlimited headroom for clients go with trios 11. Or you could just demo them and call it a day. Not rocket science

Shaggy, the 8k trio 11 are suppose to supersede the sm9 not rival it. The sm9 are discontinued.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Something doesn't sound right here. These are supposed to rival the SM9 and the few impressions I've read of them is that they are incredible.
I've never heard the SM9, if they're anything like the Trio11's then I probably wouldn't like those either

To be fair I was auditioning them next to the utterly superb flagship Barefoot MM12 monitors at the time which cost waaaay more, but even if I wasn't I dont think my opinion would change.

My ears have been spoiled using PSI monitors for many years which, like those MM12s have excellent step/transient response.
As well as the initial attacks to instruments sounding tight and realistic, such monitors have great dynamics and sense of front to back physical space in the soundstage, by comparison the Trio11 seemed dynamically flat as a pancake. And I've never really liked the sound of their Beryllium tweeters, at all. On paper it should be an amazing tweeter, in reality it just doesn't sound natural to me, and all Focals i've heard have a very distinct strong Focal box sound which is always there no matter what music you're listening to.

Maybe one day Focal will make a monitor I like the sound of, but today is not that day!
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've never heard the SM9, if they're anything like the Trio11's then I probably wouldn't like those either

To be fair I was auditioning them next to the utterly superb flagship Barefoot MM12 monitors at the time which cost waaaay more, but even if I wasn't I dont think my opinion would change.

My ears have been spoiled using PSI monitors for many years which, like those MM12s have excellent step/transient response.
As well as the initial attacks to instruments sounding tight and realistic, such monitors have great dynamics and sense of front to back physical space in the soundstage, by comparison the Trio11 seemed dynamically flat as a pancake. And I've never really liked the sound of their Beryllium tweeters, at all. On paper it should be an amazing tweeter, in reality it just doesn't sound natural to me, and all Focals i've heard have a very distinct strong Focal box sound which is always there no matter what music you're listening to.

Maybe one day Focal will make a monitor I like the sound of, but today is not that day!
Which PSI's do you have? I wouldn't mind checking em' out.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which PSI's do you have? I wouldn't mind checking em' out.
A21M
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

It's interesting, but I did audition the Solo 6 BEs today and I'd agree in part that they do impart a certain character to the sound spectrum but in a pretty good way. They have fantastic stereo imaging but not quite as much depth as my ribbon tweeter ADAM speakers which are 12 years old. However they are smoother and easier to listen to.

Now another question. Do ribbon tweeters (eg. ADAM, EVE, etc) also unnatural to you as well?

I do understand that some people prefer silk dome tweeters. And that's perfectly fine. That's what most people listen to anyway
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Addict

Well I just scored a fantastic deal on a pair of SM9s. I could not resist. A REALLY decent set of boxes for a reasonable outlay. Shame they were discontinued because they really are good. My friend had a pair but upgraded to Amphions and a big 15" sub. The sub alone cost $5000. $5k for a sub? Ouch.

Let's hope they are great monitors and give me a trouble-free experience.
Old 9th October 2019
Here for the gear

Coming from a set of Twin 6 and CMS sub, I demo'd a set last week in Melbourne against a pair of SM9s.
They are a surreal midfield with what feels and sounds like infinite head room. Receiving my set today, will report results after break in.
Old 10th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrappaB View Post
Coming from a set of Twin 6 and CMS sub, I demo'd a set last week in Melbourne against a pair of SM9s.
They are a surreal midfield with what feels and sounds like infinite head room. Receiving my set today, will report results after break in.
What did you think of the SM9s?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
What did you think of the SM9s?
After a few weeks of constant usage, the Trio 11's have proven to be quite the journey.
With a wide ownership of Focal products; Alpha 65, CMS 65, Twin 6 and Sub6, I expected the Trio's to be a midfield, higher powered twin 6. Advertising claims seem promising, after all I found the twin 6 low end response quite unique and less apparent for a nearfield monitor which has a powerful tweeter similar to that of a midfield but like many others have said, leaves some areas to be desired.

Running the twins with the sub provided a great listening experience, but proved very difficult to dial in, (naturally, with any sub).

It's been a few weeks with the Trio 11's now, and I'm still finding new details each day.

Pros
-Insane degree of headroom
-Detailed low end which offers a unique level of accuracy
-Surprisingly usable as a near field
-New tweeter grilles have already proved useful.
-Incredible Dispersion, I'm still trying to find the exact sweet spot.
-Spectacular stereo imaging
-Frequency separation is well above the Twins and appears more neutral than the SM9 without the heavy 8-12khz push.

The traditional focal detailed response is there, but with smoother crossovers and very fast transients making for a much more lively sound. Whilst the Twin and SM9 are revealing it's no comparison.

Cons
-Require more attention for placement and treatment due to the increased power (can't bend physics, it's expected.)
-The included 10 cent hard plastic feet are laughable, budget in some form of protection/isolating material to prevent scratches, especially if you're adjusting the position of a 40kg speaker.

They're expensive speakers, but I argue present better value than the Twin and SM9 (the discontinuation makes sense now).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

haha this is why I told people to get the trios over the sm9. Some went ahead and bought the discontinued speaker anyway without comparing. I had a feeling that focal as a company doesn’t really skimp. They’re not going to make a lesser speaker than an older more expensive speaker, then boom. There was a price drop on sm9, and a price hike on the trios. The amount of detail on the mid range of the trio6be was definitely better than the sm9. The only difference between the 11s and the trio6 was a cleaner mid range and more headroom, which Sounds crazy because the trios6be are loud AF. IMO leaving the sm9 3rd in headroom and midrange clarity.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
haha this is why I told people to get the trios over the sm9. Some went ahead and bought the discontinued speaker anyway without comparing. I had a feeling that focal as a company doesn’t really skimp. They’re not going to make a lesser speaker than an older more expensive speaker, then boom. There was a price drop on sm9, and a price hike on the trios. The amount of detail on the mid range of the trio6be was definitely better than the sm9. The only difference between the 11s and the trio6 was a cleaner mid range and more headroom, which Sounds crazy because the trios6be are loud AF. IMO leaving the sm9 3rd in headroom and midrange clarity.
100%. SM9 are not low quality monitor but struggle with their definition of a mid field despite the high powered amplifiers and have an odd mid range.

The 11's fill a large room with unmatched scale, I was reading 92db 6 meters away which generates a new safety concern I'm not experienced with. These are crazy loud with near zero distortion.

The real question, who makes stands that can support these huge speakers?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah I’d be careful. That little to no distortion can ruin your ears if you don’t have your volume controller nailed down.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search