The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
API Releases THE BOX Console with an Updated Feature Set
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

API Releases THE BOX Console with an Updated Feature Set

API is proud to introduce THE BOX Console, now with a new updated feature set. Initially released over five years ago, THE BOX, with its large console sound in a compact footprint, has become a favorite choice of audio pros worldwide — from commercial production facilities to home studio operations. 

The newest version of the award-winning BOX Console provides even more options and flexibility for modern studio workflow. Offering a total of eight input channels and eight 500 Series slots, the updated BOX Console also features LED metering for each of its 24 summing channels. The new BOX Console provides the same comprehensive rear panel connections, full center section and monitoring as its predecessor, as well as the 0dB bypass switch on each summing channel — a feature so popular it was included in the design of API's new 1608-II and 2448 consoles.

THE BOX is API's small-format solution for any studio where space or budget is limited. Using the same circuitry and components as all other API consoles (including the Vision and Legacy AXS), THE BOX provides the signature analog sound and performance users have come to expect from API. Designed and optimized for the digital era,*THE BOX*handles all the functions needed for production not provided by most DAWs, including mic preamps, input signal processing, high-quality mix bus, cue sends with talkback, monitor control and more. Most importantly,*THE BOX*offers the legendary API sound in an efficient, cost-effective package. Units are available for shipping immediately.
Attached Thumbnails
API Releases THE BOX Console with an Updated Feature Set-box-1.jpg   API Releases THE BOX Console with an Updated Feature Set-box-2.jpg  
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
API is proud to introduce THE BOX Console, now with a new updated feature set.
I would just like to say thank you for actually listening to your base. I've participated in pretty much every thread on here about this console, and the biggest things were asking for 4 more channels and all the slots being removable 500 slots. I was holding out to buy The Box this summer, now I've got some tough decisions to make. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it at this point, but regardless of "me" I know you'll have a lot of happy buyers!

One questions: How are you handling the routing for the 527 to the 8 channels (I can't see that section in any of the pictures)? Are they still only routable to the first 4 channels like before? It honestly doesn't make a difference to me, I'm just curious!
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

I've been on the fence about The Box for a couple years and have made a bunch of threads with questions. Glad I waited!
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut

Gah, my Box is never going to sell now. Just going to have to keep it! Oh well, love the thing anyway heh

andersmv, from the description (and lack of changes to the face) looks like they still just route to input 1-4 like before. Agree with you, eight channels in (if you need it) is nice, but all eight 500 series slots open is awesome. Looks like not much different other than the four new channels and two more headphone outs. Not a massive change, the original Box still makes total sense for those who don't need eight pres.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithUsInHatred View Post
Gah, my Box is never going to sell now. Just going to have to keep it! Oh well, love the thing anyway heh

andersmv, from the description (and lack of changes to the face) looks like they still just route to input 1-4 like before. Agree with you, eight channels in (if you need it) is nice, but all eight 500 series slots open is awesome. Looks like not much different other than the four new channels and two more headphone outs. Not a massive change, the original Box still makes total sense for those who don't need eight pres.
API posted a video on instagram and I could see the 527 section, it's just like before routing to 1/3 and 2/4.
Old 24th January 2019
Kinda bummed, I thought the original met my needs perfectly and it's gonna suck to have to scour the used market for one when it's in my price range.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
Kinda bummed, I thought the original met my needs perfectly and it's gonna suck to have to scour the used market for one when it's in my price range.
Ya, I'm a bit concerned about that as well. More than likely I'll just save some money and wait. Although, with no built in EQ's I'm REALLY hoping that will offset that price of the 4 additional preamps.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

And the million $ question... how much extra will we be looking at for this gem?

Excited
Wiggy
Old 24th January 2019
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut

And still no dedicated FX returns
Old 24th January 2019
Quote:
You can use pairs from the 16 line ins, right? (yes, I know you are losing channel count)
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ya, but there are a few work arounds if you set it up on a patch bay. Assuming you don't have any other external summing units or things that need to go strait to the master, you could patch the FX unit OUT into the PROGRAM SUM INPUTS on the back of the console. I'm sure there's some other work arounds, but that would be my first though.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Jesus christ.. if I only could afford it.
The look alone already make me sweat.. what's the price on this?
I want to dream
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
Jesus christ.. if I only could afford it.
The look alone already make me sweat.. what's the price on this?
I want to dream
Same as before, which is amazing. So glad I waited!
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
Same as before, which is amazing. So glad I waited!
Well, it's going to be a little more. I talked to Vintage King earlier today and they are going to get back to me on their price. On the original Box, they gave me a quote well under the advertised price for it. Regardless of what it ends up being, it's still going to probably be around $2000 more.

In the grand scheme of things, that's really not much more. But for someone like me that was already having to pinch some pennies to justify the 4 channel version, I'm just not sure I can swing it. If I want the 8 channel version, I'm going to have to wait longer. I'm planning on buying sometime this summer, so I have a while to make up my mind.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Addict

Good god I want this. I don’t lust for gear too often, but here is the exception.
Old 25th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
There's an external Program Bus input. Just create a few sends and route them to that input.
It doesn't burn any channels.
Old 25th January 2019
Rea
Lives for gear

A. This is really great!
B. Is the 4 channel version would still be available from API?
C. What great deals on used Box v1 are to be had in a few months...
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

This vs Tree Audio Roots

Is an interesting question

(If you only need 8 mix channels)
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
This vs Tree Audio Roots

Is an interesting question

(If you only need 8 mix channels)
The Roots is almost twice as much, so that will make it an easy decision for a lot of people!
Old 25th January 2019
It's official, I would love to get the Box Console in my studio. I will take it with six 550A's and two 560 EQs.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
The Roots is almost twice as much, so that will make it an easy decision for a lot of people!
I thought it was:

Roots I $20k vs Box 2 $17k

But yeah 2x would make a decision
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought it was:

I thought it was closer to $30k for the Roots?
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

HOLY ****!
Old 25th January 2019
Here for the gear

Glad I Waited

We have a Great River Mixmaster 20 and been wanting to get into the API console of some sort. Been staring at The Box 1 but the feature set was just missing. The API The Box 2 has made The Switch more of a thought. Already on a Api 3124+ and to have 12 Api preamps for drumwork available to our Burl Mothership is tempting. Glad we waited on getting a second or third 3124+.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought it was:

Also in that case the box is a much better deal for the money.. at least from a channel and feature set point of view.
although.. I'm sure the roots it's a fantastic sounding small mixer.
But I believe it's more a workflow/features/channel debate, so in the end quite personal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
It's official, I would love to get the Box Console in my studio. I will take it with six 550A's and two 560 EQs.
Instead of the 560's you could get the new Avedis E12G.. (presented at namm).. more freq's, probably cheaper and knowing Avedis probably better sounding

..and since you're there you should get a pair of E27 as well
Or if you want a smooth tube counterpart the Crane Song Insignia
although the 550a's are really cool eq's for tracking
I'd take 2x 550a, 2x E27, 2x E12G and 2x Insignia..

Cheu
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Maniac

The should have named this “The Box ii” , a/k/a The Boxy!
Old 25th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Also in that case the box is a much better deal for the money.. at least from a channel and feature set point of view.
although.. I'm sure the roots it's a fantastic sounding small mixer.
But I believe it's more a workflow/features/channel debate, so in the end quite personal...

Instead of the 560's you could get the new Avedis E12G.. (presented at namm).. more freq's, probably cheaper and knowing Avedis probably better sounding

..and since you're there you should get a pair of E27 as well
Or if you want a smooth tube counterpart the Crane Song Insignia
although the 550a's are really cool eq's for tracking
I'd take 2x 550a, 2x E27, 2x E12G and 2x Insignia..

Cheu
The whole purpose for me on getting a API Box Console is to get the API sound every channel. I love the latest API EQs and compressors.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtman26 View Post
There's an external Program Bus input. Just create a few sends and route them to that input.
It doesn't burn any channels.
But then you need a separate submixer just for FX returns (which then goes into the PGM BUS input as you say), the controls/faders for which are separate and away from the console and at added expense. (Which admittedly is how I have it right now..)
Old 25th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
But then you need a separate submixer just for FX returns (which then goes into the PGM BUS input as you say), the controls/faders for which are separate and away from the console and at added expense. (Which admittedly is how I have it right now..)
If you are using outboard gear it's more complicated, but if you create sends in your DAW for plugins and then submix all the effects to one output and route that output to the external sum in.

That's what I meant. Maybe not ideal...

Unfortunately you have to shave cost somewhere and I guess API chose to leave out the dedicated returns.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search