The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API Releases THE BOX Console with an Updated Feature Set Consoles
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
Just bought mine : ) I was waiting for something just like this and stoked it was API that did it.
Post pictures for us peasants!

Old 13th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
So if I get a box version 2 I can drop firlottes/GAR etc into the same 2520 sockets?
Don't know who you're directing this question to - but API won't recommend this action. We don't know how those items operate.

API provides a protection called WARRANTY - which an action like this would violate.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
API provides a protection called WARRANTY - which an action like this would violate.
That sounds very reasonable to me.

Great job here, API... 1608 and 2448, too.
Old 15th February 2019
Yea the Box 2 looks good.
I honestly could/should have kept quiet about the 2520 issue.
It wasn't API who told you was it?
I dropped 15k on a desk that i love the sound of.
I also plan on repairing it and selling it,going to
be a little harder now.I would never have purchased it
having this info prior.My bad,should have asked maybe?
Purchased from Vintage King,i contacted about trading
for new Box2......5500.00 trade value AFTER i repair it.Lube not included.
Can you solder and read a schematic?Box1 bargains headed your way.
15k burning yer britches? BOX2....nice.
Glad i kept my 70's Yamaha PM 1000 console,still kicking ass!
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflag View Post
I also plan on repairing it and selling it...
What do you need to repair?
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflag View Post
Yea the Box 2 looks good.
I honestly could/should have kept quiet about the 2520 issue.
It wasn't API who told you was it?
I dropped 15k on a desk that i love the sound of.
I also plan on repairing it and selling it,going to
be a little harder now.I would never have purchased it
having this info prior.My bad,should have asked maybe?
Purchased from Vintage King,i contacted about trading
for new Box2......5500.00 trade value AFTER i repair it.Lube not included.
Can you solder and read a schematic?Box1 bargains headed your way.
15k burning yer britches? BOX2....nice.
Glad i kept my 70's Yamaha PM 1000 console,still kicking ass!
API should fix it for you! Regardless of warranty or not. They had a bad batch of 2520s as mentioned early in the thread. I'd contact them and have them make it right!
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown soldier View Post
API should fix it for you! Regardless of warranty or not. They had a bad batch of 2520s as mentioned early in the thread. I'd contact them and have them make it right!
Did I miss something? Is he saying he had a bunch of failing soldered 2520s and he never contacted API about it... and/or... they never contacted him when the issue was discovered?
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Well, either way it should be fixed. He should contact them, or for everyone that may have been exposed to those bad op amps, have a recall or something.
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Well of course it should!

I'm just gobsmacked that if he had that problem that he wouldn't have contacted them... and that they would naturally fix it. I'm also gobsmacked that if they discovered/realized their was widespread failure going on, that they wouldn't have contacted him... and anyone else possibly affected.

Yikes... what a pity. Love API. My stomach is in knots now.
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
I'm also gobsmacked that if they discovered/realized their was widespread failure going on.....
SHEESH....This is the problem with posting anything on this site!
It was NOT widespread - there were a random number of early failures - not in every product - not in the same products - fixed under warranty.
Sorry we brought it up!

As stated before - Servicing a socketed 2520 is obviously much easier, especially where the 2520 is in a difficult location.

We also tend to solder 2520's in products that may get moved or relocated more often (see TranZformer), but Engineering determined that THE BOX with socketed 2520's made sense.

Now - get back to making music!

Last edited by API Sez...; 18th February 2019 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: repeating ourselves
Old 18th February 2019
Lives for gear

API is a big audio company and you expect it to have some issues as any large company does. The thing here is that any API product is generally an expensive purchase, not some $100 cheapo compressor where if it breaks you throw it away. If someone is looking to spend $11K or so for a used API Box V1, when you hear ANYTHING that might be a potential problem it is dis-concerning. Getting it serviced is a huge PITA. Yeah, the odds are in your favor that your used BOX that you buy is OK, but still.....
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

I applaud API for the transparency on a bad run of 2520's many years ago, though it was hardly a secret.

API is still in business, and this is a very new offering with zero end of life parts. From a support standpoint, that is a dream scenario for a console owner.

The redesign of this mixer really puts it over the top for the price, and socketed DOA's are a welcome change.
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown soldier View Post
API is a big audio company and you expect it to have some issues as any large company does. The thing here is that any API product is generally an expensive purchase, not some $100 cheapo compressor where if it breaks you throw it away. If someone is looking to spend $11K or so for a used API Box V1, when you hear ANYTHING that might be a potential problem it is dis-concerning. Getting it serviced is a huge PITA. Yeah, the odds are in your favor that your used BOX that you buy is OK, but still.....
Come on. Large format consoles costing x100 the price had far, far more problems than a few op amps that needed replacing.
If someone’s purchasing an out of warranty Box for 11K, ALL they’d have to do (if the console was from a bad batch) is replace some op amps. It’s really not a big deal, especially for such a low channel count console.
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Come on. Large format consoles costing x100 the price had far, far more problems than a few op amps that needed replacing.
If someone’s purchasing an out of warranty Box for 11K, ALL they’d have to do (if the console was from a bad batch) is replace some op amps. It’s really not a big deal, especially for such a low channel count console.
I'd say, come on too! You are assuming that I'm going to break out my soldering gun and replace a bad op amp here or there, like I'm obligated to know how to fix it... I'm not, and I wouldn't try to. I'd have to unhook it, box it up, no pun intended, carry the heavy thing and take it to a repair shop, wait until its fixed, and then re-hook it up. Or even worse, ship it to have it fixed....ugh.

Its a PITA either way. Large format consoles are in facilities that have techs who can fix it on the spot, or at least have it handled easier. Small studios with the API box that has issues are crippled in the short term until its fixed.
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Then any console, ever is not for you. That's fine, but that is not an API problem. It is a stark reality any console owner knows, or soon learns. There is a cost of operation that goes beyond the initial purchase, and if you can't (or don't want to) handle the contingencies, at some point you will be very unhappy. Better to know that upfront, and it sounds like you do. None of this is an indictment on API's reliability.

In terms of serviceability, The Box looks very clean and extremely easy to access (and I'm not a tech). It is modular, and entire thing opens up like a hood on a car engine.

I also think way too much is being made of this. Desoldering an op amp is one YouTube tutorial from being up and running.
Old 20th February 2019
I have 3 3124s, a 2500, and 5500. I've had to replace 12 OP amps so far. I've spoken to API techs several times with broken gear (all turned out to be bad OP amps). API has never admitted to me about a "bad batch" despite me asking if they've had a "bad batch" due to all my op amp failures.
It was kinda funny to see someone from API on here to finally admit it.
Honestly, I just assumed API sucked at making OP amps.

Anyway, I learned to use red dot replacements. No problems with those yet, so I think most of my OP amp woes are behind me.

I love API gear and this was just a small bump. I'd buy it all over again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark714 View Post
I applaud API for the transparency on a bad run of 2520's many years ago, though it was hardly a secret.

API is still in business, and this is a very new offering with zero end of life parts. From a support standpoint, that is a dream scenario for a console owner.

The redesign of this mixer really puts it over the top for the price, and socketed DOA's are a welcome change.
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
Just bought mine : ) I was waiting for something just like this and stoked it was API that did it.
API does not recommend this for obvious reasons but of course you can drop GARs or the likes into your API equipment to replace any 2520.
Dozens of people did this and it works like a charm. Weather be it a big ass console or just a preamp. It works !
Old 13th April 2019
Has anyone got one of these yet???
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.calcaska View Post
Has anyone got one of these yet???
I did, fairly sure it's the first one. Full disclosure, I was firmly in the "what are they thinking" camp when v1 was first released. The updates were all very smart, and it is pretty badass.

What do you wanna know?
Old 13th April 2019
Quote:
I did, fairly sure it's the first one. Full disclosure, I was firmly in the "what are they thinking" camp when v1 was first released. The updates were all very smart, and it is pretty badass.

What do you wanna know?
Are you using the summing and tracking through it? I want a console but I can see myself using my sphere/chandler pres instead of the 212s.. not sure how summing would sound on the api versus dangerous summing etc..
There are also basically no photos yet of the box 2 in the real world.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

I'm still getting acquainted with everything. The API preamps are very good, and a nice change of pace compared to my other stuff (and compared to your stuff, I'd think). I'm happy to have them and they will get a lot of use.

The summing section has line inputs and insert send/ret so you could lash up your other preamps and use those channels during tracking.

The thing I really like about the API is how it ties everything in the studio together. I also like monitoring pre A/D during tracking. The soundstage is big and pretty darn clean, with some authority. I'm not sure how it compares to the Dangerous. For me, it is a workflow enhancer that also sounds great.

The compressors are a nice bonus. Turns out they are all detented pots, and they are easy to drop in the signal path pushing a couple of buttons. I was completely uninterested in them until I tried them.

No pictures from me for a bit, it's managed chaos in my area right now.
Old 13th April 2019
Quote:
I'm still getting acquainted with everything. The API preamps are very good, and a nice change of pace compared to my other stuff (and compared to your stuff, I'd think). I'm happy to have them and they will get a lot of use.

The summing section has line inputs and insert send/ret so you could lash up your other preamps and use those channels during tracking.

The thing I really like about the API is how it ties everything in the studio together. I also like monitoring pre A/D during tracking. The soundstage is big and pretty darn clean, with some authority. I'm not sure how it compares to the Dangerous. For me, it is a workflow enhancer that also sounds great.

The compressors are a nice bonus. Turns out they are all detented pots, and they are easy to drop in the signal path pushing a couple of buttons. I was completely uninterested in them until I tried them.

No pictures from me for a bit, it's managed chaos in my area right now.
Severely appreciate your POV. The closest to API I’ve wanted to touch is sphere since I had some CAPI and I literally hated them. Haha.
I didn’t consider monitoring pre A/D.. that’s a very interesting concept, especially if you have the ability to A/B back and forth from pre to post A/D.
I wish I could sit in front of one. Last I spoke to VK nash it didn’t sound like it was going to be possible to have one.
There is an 8 channel sphere on reverb right now and while I’d love to own it.. I think it’s about 5k overpriced. The API could fill its place and now that it’s 8 channels, I think it’s very appropriately priced.
I’ll have to look at the back panel more regarding the send and returns on the summing channels.
Does that mean potentially you could mix out 24 or am I not understanding?
Thanks!
Old 14th April 2019
Lives for gear

I suppose it is possible the API sound isn't your thing, but I think those CAPI's you heard were broken. That's literally the first negative thing I've ever heard about them. I looked up that Sphere. It's neat, but looks really limited - more of a front end kind of device.

With the API you definitely get 24 channels at mix, all with a fader, mute/solo, metering, inserts, and aux routing. There are technically 26 inputs, because of stereo PGM mix inject inputs, but I don't think there is level control on those (not sitting in front of it right now). You could also probably squeeze two more inputs if you count the PGM buss insert returns. Remember, there are no aux returns, so you either eat up channels, or use a submixer.

I didn't have the opportunity to hear or touch this thing prior to purchase, and it was definitely a leap of faith. I don't have that many hours of actual use in yet, but I like it. Maybe it's from years of playing live, but I'm oddly sensitive to DAW/converter latency, so monitoring the analog feed as an artist is a major thing for me. Most importantly, it sounds alive.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search