The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
PreSonus Introduces Studio Series USB-C Audio Interfaces
Old 24th January 2019
News Desk Editor

PreSonus Introduces Studio Series USB-C Audio Interfaces-presonus-studio_c_family01.jpg

PreSonus® has unveiled its Studio Series USB-C 24-bit, 192 kHz audio interfaces, with five models: the Studio 24c, Studio 26c, Studio 68c, Studio 1810c, and Studio 1824c. These complete, all-in-one recording solutions update and replace PreSonus’ first-generation Studio series and feature a USB-C connector. All but the Studio 24c include DC-coupled outputs for sending control voltages, and all five models offer MIDI I/O. USB-C to USB-C and USB-C to USB-A cables are provided for compatibility with most computers.

Studio Series USB-C audio interfaces come with PreSonus’ award-winning Studio One® Artist music production software for macOS® and Windows®. Studio One integrates tightly with PreSonus interfaces, configuring automatically—no need to map inputs and outputs. You also get the Studio Magic Plug-in Suite, a carefully selected plug-in collection from the leading names in virtual instruments and effects.

Great for home recording, mobile musicians, guitarists, podcasters, and live streaming, the bus-powered Studio 24c 2-in, 2-out audio interface features 2 front-panel combo mic/line/instrument inputs with PreSonus XMAX-L solid-state mic preamps, 2 rear-panel line outputs, and onboard direct monitoring control.

Designed for DJs, mobile musicians, and electronic musicians who don't want to sacrifice build and sound quality for portability, the bus-powered Studio 26c 2-in, 4-out audio interface presents 2 front-panel combo mic/line/instrument inputs with XMAX-L solid-state mic preamps, 4 rear-panel line outputs, and a Cue Mix A/B button.

An excellent choice for small bands, producers, and small studios, the Studio 68c 6-in, 6-out audio interface offers 4 XMAX preamps—2 mic/line/instrument on the front, and 2 mic/line on the back—as well as S/PDIF I/O.

Built for producers and small bands who want to record from a wide range of sources, the Studio 1810c records up to 18 simultaneous inputs and sports 8 outputs and 4 microphone inputs with XMAX Class A mic preamps.

The Studio 1824c audio interface is perfect for project studios, and especially for recording full bands, including multi-channel drums. It records up to 18 simultaneous inputs and features 8 microphone inputs with XMAX Class A mic preamps. Its 18 outputs offer flexible routing with zero-latency DSP-based monitor mixing and control-room integration with included Studio One Artist and UC Surface software.

PreSonus Studio Series USB-C audio interfaces are available immediately at PreSonus dealers. Expected U.S. street prices are: Studio 24c $149.95, Studio 26c $199, Studio 68c $299, Studio 1810c $399.95, and Studio 1824c $499.95.

For more information, please visit Studio Series USB Interfaces | Products | PreSonus
Attached Thumbnails
PreSonus Introduces Studio Series USB-C Audio Interfaces-presonus-studio_c_family01.jpg  
Old 24th January 2019
vns
Here for the gear

Hopefully the will have beter RTL performance than the current models...
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vns View Post
Hopefully the will have beter RTL performance than the current models...
Ditto. Although their TB interface scores quite well on latency. If the latency on these is at least close to RME/Zoom I could recommend these. However I don't see any mention of converters and I wish they would get past those old Xmax Preamps already. They did start out as a preamp company. For prosumer range Audient/Focusrite and Steinberg and possibly others have them beat on preamps unless they improved them and still call them Xmax. Don't know. Does Xmax-L mean these are different than Xmax?
Old 25th January 2019
vns
Here for the gear

A video talking about then: it is usb 2 over usb-c, I am afraid that they are not going to be any better....

YouTube
Old 25th January 2019
Here for the gear

Long RLT

Picture from the manual suggest a long RLT like 6.1 ms for the lowest buffer size of 16 samples.
Attached Thumbnails
PreSonus Introduces Studio Series USB-C Audio Interfaces-image.jpg  
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

that's why you need the input monitoring chip on these and with the Quantum range you do not, so they left it out.

I've had a Quantum 2 for a while now as a songwriting/mobile interface and I'm very happy with it.
You can add to them, I've even connected one of my convertors to it and recorded 8 tracks live at 96k.

If you want low rtl through the DAW, get the quantum.

If you have an old computer and are ok with using hardware monitoring, you can consider one of these.

Of course it's also a budget thing, but the Quantum range is worth the money in my opinion.
Old 25th January 2019
vns
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNoNoise View Post
Picture from the manual suggest a long RLT like 6.1 ms for the lowest buffer size of 16 samples.
That is pretty bad IMO
Old 26th January 2019
News Desk Editor

Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Nope.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vns View Post
That is pretty bad IMO
That's not the point of these interfaces. They hit a very specific target market that isn't worrying too much about latency. For anyone who needs the lower latency, they'll direct them to the Quantum line, which is already really affordable. Presonus is getting quite good at stratifying the market segments and they wouldn't want to compete with another one of their own products. Anyway, this looks like a smart marketing move, and I'm sure they'll make plenty of money for a minor update to their Studio series. Again, anyone who is serious about latency will look elsewhere. But for the masses of folks who aren't constantly thinking about latency, these will sell like hotcakes.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by uarte View Post
That's not the point of these interfaces. They hit a very specific target market that isn't worrying too much about latency. For anyone who needs the lower latency, they'll direct them to the Quantum line, which is already really affordable. Presonus is getting quite good at stratifying the market segments and they wouldn't want to compete with another one of their own products. Anyway, this looks like a smart marketing move, and I'm sure they'll make plenty of money for a minor update to their Studio series. Again, anyone who is serious about latency will look elsewhere. But for the masses of folks who aren't constantly thinking about latency, these will sell like hotcakes.
Agreed. But it's still pretty bad lol
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Presonus stuff is cheaply made and entry level quality.

USB 2 over USB C.....
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Nut

Hello all
Quick question, is this Usb C any better (regarding latency and performace) compared to my Audient ID4 interface i have now, my motherboard does have usb c connector...
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedna View Post
Hello all
Quick question, is this Usb C any better (regarding latency and performace) compared to my Audient ID4 interface i have now, my motherboard does have usb c connector...
It allows for more bandwidth not necessarily lower latency. Low latency requires well written drivers. Plugging your Audient into a USB-C port won't change anything.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Low latency requires well written drivers.
And, at first place, CUSTOM (but not "generic" non-optimized for audio) USB cores. Exactly the widespread use of non-optimized for audio USB cores is the main reason for the failure of potentially excellent products from most manufacturers (including even very expensive ones, for example Prism). USB2.0 bus itself is not to blame. It is necessary to take an example from RME (with custom programmed FPGA chips and own drivers for it) and all problems will disappear.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
It allows for more bandwidth not necessarily lower latency. Low latency requires well written drivers. Plugging your Audient into a USB-C port won't change anything.
Exactly. People associate more bandwidth with a lower latency protocol. It's still USB. USB-C is not Thunderbolt.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreRec View Post
It's still USB. USB-C is not Thunderbolt.
People believe too much in "magical" protocols. And the whole thing is not in the protocols, but in specific technological solutions. The same RME Babyface Pro on USB2.0 has better latency rates than UA Apoollo on Thunderbolt.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_HS View Post
People believe too much in "magical" protocols. And the whole thing is not in the protocols, but in specific technological solutions. The same RME Babyface Pro on USB2.0 has better latency rates than UA Apoollo on Thunderbolt.
RME utilizes their own system driver for USB and they're able to achieve low latency over USB better than anyone. No company does better drivers than RME.

Apollo is just average TB latency. There are much lower latency units from PreSonus and Lynx.
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
RME utilizes their own system driver for USB
Not only the driver, but also its own USB chipset based on FPGA technology. Obviously, such a driver can't be written for standard general purpose USB chipsets used by other manufacturers.
Old 28th January 2019
vns
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_HS View Post
Not only the driver, but also its own USB chipset based on FPGA technology. Obviously, such a driver can't be written for common purpose standard USB chipsets used by other manufacturers.
Interesting, I didn't know it. Do you what approach is using Zoom in their UAC (usb) units. They have achieved great results.
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

Does anyone have any idea how the RTL on these new Presonus interfaces will compare to the old firewire Focusrite Saffire interfaces?
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Addict

In terms of sound, would these audio interfaces be an upgrade over a Digi002 rack?
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear

I'm curious to know if these have the built-in DSP board that allow suer to Monitor themselves with Reverb using the UC Control panel like the studio 192 & Quantum does?

To my surprise I just noticed lately that the Sudio 1824 does NOT allow this with the UC Control. You have to Add a Reverb in Studio One and use the "Zero latency" feature in order to achieve such thing.

If anyone can confirm if the new USB-C series do, would be appreciated ;-)

Best
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

No RTL comparison to Quantum2?
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
No RTL comparison to Quantum2?
It's USB, not TB. It's the same as the previous boxes, but with an arguably worse color scheme and a smaller USB connector that is compatible with USB-C chipsets.
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's USB, not TB. It's the same as the previous boxes, but with an arguably worse color scheme and a smaller USB connector that is compatible with USB-C chipsets.
Most of my peripherals are now USB-C, but I hate it. So easy to lose connection with the smallest of movements. Certainly was not the case with USB-A.
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

Is there any news on the RTL of these interfaces yet?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search