The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Slate Releases the Blackbird Microphone Expansion Pack for VMS
Old 27th February 2019
  #181
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Out of sheer curiosity, I decided to play around with processing a few random audio recordings using Q-Clone and the ML-1 mic packs.

Thus far, while the processing done with Q-Clone sounds quite close to the mic plug-in, on certain models, you can discern a difference. For example, the distinctly bright and airy top end of the FG-800/800M sounds somewhat off when the audio is being processed by Q-Clone.
Old 27th February 2019
  #182
Lives for gear
 
iLex's Avatar
Thanks @ PettyCash . I was getting curious about this.

I think we can conclude that using whatever mic you have, then trying to get that to sound like an ML-1 then trying to get that to sound like one of the modeled mics is not a viable construction. I am sure you will get this system to sound reasonable, but VMS sounds more than just 'reasonable'. In the end it is the details that matter, and it will be near impossible to get those right.
And in this case you might as well just take the signal from your original mic and just use an EQ (and saturation) until it sounds good... Or in the proper jargon: mix with that. Why spend time trying to model a different mic first?

If you already have an ML-1, then you get a little closer to the real deal with the EQ curves, but you still need to manually apply whatever saturation is happening in the model.
For only $99 you don't have to do this for 5 mic models! Sounds like a bargain to me


ps: @ zachaction I think the discussion is more interesting than the EQ-curves themselves. It is not uncommon for a plugin to do something that can be done through other means. It's always interesting to see how those other means compare to the plugin.
Old 27th February 2019
  #183
Gear Addict
 
zachaction's Avatar
 

@ iLex , I agree that the whole thing lends itself to interesting discussion. I think you raise a great point/question when you say why not just take your existing mic and make it sound good in the first place; why try to model a different mic to begin with? Which brings us right back to the recurring theme/dilemma that most of us struggle with on a daily basis: won't more expensive and name brand gear make my music better? Haven't we all had the $1,200 piece of gear in our Sweetwater cart, only to talk ourselves off the ledge and re-convince ourselves that what we have works just fine? The struggle is real.
Old 27th February 2019
  #184
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
To my ears there are pretty massive differences between the stock 251 and the Blackbird 251. I love the stock 251, but there is an airy thickness to the Blackbird that makes it bright, rustic, and smooth. The low mids are also a bit fatter on the Blackbird, but this is more revealing dependent on the singer.

Having said all that, better is only in reference to the source. There will be plenty of singers or instruments that will sound better on the stock 251 and vice versa.

Cheers,
Steven
I now own all the mic packs and finally have both kids and the desktop preamp on the way... I best be stupefied or Slate loses his Jersey card
Old 27th February 2019
  #185
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Out of sheer curiosity, I decided to play around with processing a few random audio recordings using Q-Clone and the ML-1 mic packs.

Thus far, while the processing done with Q-Clone sounds quite close to the mic plug-in, on certain models, you can discern a difference. For example, the distinctly bright and airy top end of the FG-800/800M sounds somewhat off when the audio is being processed by Q-Clone.
It’s an interesting exercise, but, an old one... Antares mic modeler always sounded like an eq filter thing... ik’s Mic room deal... Nebula mic IRs

Most stop solely on capturing the eq... some allege capturing THD and all that stuff

They’re all good for broad strokes, like taking ice picky cymbals or acoustic gtr and running it through a “ribbon mic” to round the edges off...

But they all poopy the bed when it comes to taking a primary signal like a lead vocal and fundamentally changing it with eq, distortion, “mojo”
Old 27th February 2019
  #186
Lives for gear
 
iLex's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I now own all the mic packs and finally have both kids and the desktop preamp on the way... I best be stupefied or Slate loses his Jersey card
You won the custody lawsuit!? Congratulations man. Poor Steven though.
I think you should let him keep his Jersey card.
Old 27th February 2019
  #187
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLex View Post
You won the custody lawsuit!? Congratulations man. Poor Steven though.
I think you should let him keep his Jersey card.
Stupid autocorrect

Both MICS

Lol
Old 28th February 2019
  #188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydpi View Post
They have the same price as Sweetwater does.
it's not currently on the Sweetwater site. I ordered from pluginfox several days ago but it hasn't come yet! beginning to get a little worried...
Old 28th February 2019
  #189
Lives for gear
 
iLex's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Stupid autocorrect

Both MICS

Lol
Ahhh, and there I was hoping for some Gearslutz gossip... ah well.

So you bought the ML-2 as well? Would be interested to hear what you think of it. I was contemplating getting two as a stereo pair to go through my API 512c's.
But 'm just not sure if I'd be better off getting something else.
The hype seems to be more about the ML-1 than the ML-2. The price on those ML-2s is not that hight though.
Old 28th February 2019
  #190
Lives for gear
 

I have an ML-2 for acoustic guitar / guitar cab. Same concept as ML-1 and cheap! Nobody will be able to tell in the recording - works just fine for my purposes.
Old 28th February 2019
  #191
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post


One of my favorite scenes from that movie, or any Dirty Harry movie in general.
The actor who played that role was Albert Popwell.

He was in five movies with Clint Eastwood:
1) Coogan's Bluff.
2) Dirty Harry.
3) Magnum Force (the pimp who killed the prostitute with Draino/was killed in his pimpmobile Eldorado).
4) The Enforcer (the leader of the black militant group).
5) Sudden Impact (he was Harry's partner).
Old 28th February 2019
  #192
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydpi View Post
The actor who played that role was Albert Popwell.

He was in five movies with Clint Eastwood:
1) Coogan's Bluff.
2) Dirty Harry.
3) Magnum Force (the pimp who killed the prostitute with Draino/was killed in his pimpmobile Eldorado).
4) The Enforcer (the leader of the black militant group).
5) Sudden Impact (he was Harry's partner).
Clint’s one of those directors that likes to keep the band together... very nice quality
Old 28th February 2019
  #193
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLex View Post
Ahhh, and there I was hoping for some Gearslutz gossip... ah well.

So you bought the ML-2 as well? Would be interested to hear what you think of it. I was contemplating getting two as a stereo pair to go through my API 512c's.
But 'm just not sure if I'd be better off getting something else.
The hype seems to be more about the ML-1 than the ML-2. The price on those ML-2s is not that hight though.
Yah... ml1 from sweetwater and the ml2 and the vms preamp from a friend who is downsizing...

The ml1 came today... ran it into the rme and I’m really quite impressed... for giggles, I didn’t load a slate preamp and duplicated ITB one of my normal outboard frontend set-ups (UA610mkii - 1176 - la2a) but used uad plugin versions and... wow

look forward to tracking a tune through it...
Old 28th February 2019
  #194
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
it's not currently on the Sweetwater site. I ordered from pluginfox several days ago but it hasn't come yet! beginning to get a little worried...
Did you get it for the normal price or the half-price mistake sale?

He manually processes those... don’t quote me, but, I recall ordering on a Friday and got it on Monday-ish

Lawrence over there seems hyper-focused on CS so I’m sure he’ll reach out... I know for a fact he’s on this very thread

pm me if you need a direct email addy for him
Old 1st March 2019
  #195
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Stupid autocorrect

Both MICS

Lol


I actually thought you were referring to the mics as your kids.

Like how some people refer to their gear as their babies.
Old 1st March 2019
  #196
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post


I actually thought you were referring to the mics as your kids.

Like how some people refer to their gear as their babies.
No... but my gear has helped me make a few babies
Old 1st March 2019
  #197
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Did you get it for the normal price or the half-price mistake sale?

He manually processes those... don’t quote me, but, I recall ordering on a Friday and got it on Monday-ish

Lawrence over there seems hyper-focused on CS so I’m sure he’ll reach out... I know for a fact he’s on this very thread

pm me if you need a direct email addy for him
I guess he couldn’t get it ‘cause he refunded me. I pinged my guy at Sweetwater and he said it is only available direct. Oh well...
Old 2nd March 2019
  #198
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
I guess he couldn’t get it ‘cause he refunded me. I pinged my guy at Sweetwater and he said it is only available direct. Oh well...
Gotcha... glad you got your money back at least
Old 3rd March 2019
  #199
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Has anybody played around with recording, say, vocals with the ml1 mic but using mic models from the ml2 instrument pack?

Or, more simply how’s vox sound through the ml2?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump