The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Slate Introduces Slate DRUM GATE
Old 24th January 2019
  #1
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Slate Introduces Slate DRUM GATE


The noise gate is one of the most essential tools in the pro audio arsenal, but there has been virtually zero advancements in gate plugins over the past decade. Until now. Enter the Slate Gate Series featuring two unique Gate plugins]. The first, which will be previewed at NAMM 2019, is the Drum Gate. With unique features such as advanced transient detection and a revolutionary de-bleeding algorithm, you’ll get clean and easy results on even the most horrific tracks!

You can visit our NAMM booth #15902 North Hall to get a hands on demo of the Drum Gate from one of Slate Digital's lead developers.

See you there!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 24th January 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
shatz's Avatar
When will it be available?
Old 24th January 2019
  #3
Steven Slate is on Fire 2019 !!!!

Wooohooooo!!

KP
Old 24th January 2019
  #4
Gear Nut
 

Finally!!!!
Old 24th January 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 

does this support external sidechain?
Old 24th January 2019
  #6
I just got VMR and then did a search for slate noise gate...AND WALAH! only a few hours old!..sweet!..so i guess we get this with our VMR and everything bundle then?
Old 24th January 2019
  #7
Does the gate have a look ahead? Will it incur latency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post

The noise gate is one of the most essential tools in the pro audio arsenal, but there has been virtually zero advancements in gate plugins over the past decade. Until now. Enter the Slate Gate Series featuring two unique Gate plugins]. The first, which will be previewed at NAMM 2019, is the Drum Gate. With unique features such as advanced transient detection and a revolutionary de-bleeding algorithm, you’ll get clean and easy results on even the most horrific tracks!

You can visit our NAMM booth #15902 North Hall to get a hands on demo of the Drum Gate from one of Slate Digital's lead developers.

See you there!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 24th January 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
galaydees's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
When will it be available?
Next year
Old 25th January 2019
  #9
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Next year
Straight after fgx2??? Whatever happened with that?
Old 25th January 2019
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
When will it be available?
i heard it comes with the new FG-XII bundle









Old 25th January 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
As nice as it will be to have a gate in VMR, I am definitely concerned about the lack of lookahead.
Old 25th January 2019
  #12
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
i heard it comes with the new FG-XII bundle









Without a doubt, we deserve the flack we get for FG-X2 because it is clear that we great overestimated its development schedule and our resources.

Having said that, Fabrice has constantly worked on it, and I hope you all would assume that when it arrives, it'll be great.

However, the current FG-X still gets an astonishing amount of level without artifacts, and has beaten the competition in several shootouts. If anyone has an issue getting a mix loud with FG-X, I'd be glad to help.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywsef View Post
As nice as it will be to have a gate in VMR, I am definitely concerned about the lack of lookahead.
Oh wait till you hear what our wizards have done! With NO lookahead, this gate performs magic, even with tracks that contain insane amounts of leakage!! You'll be checking it out yourself very soon! Or come check it out at NAMM and the man who designed it can show it to you himself!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 25th January 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated View Post
does this support external sidechain?
Perhaps the best question thus far.
Old 25th January 2019
  #14
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Perhaps the best question thus far.
If you are looking for sidechain effects, we have other products coming that will handle these tasks. Drum Gate is made to clean up drum tracks, even really problematic ones, with ease.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 25th January 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
TS-12's Avatar
finally an innovative gate! Thank you Slates
Old 25th January 2019
  #16
Damn. Sounds like no side chain, which means (in addition to the usual key spike trickery) you didn't implement the wonderful leakage suppression feature found in Trigger. Huge missed opportunity, IMO.
Old 25th January 2019
  #17
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Damn. Sounds like no side chain, which means (in addition to the usual key spike trickery) you didn't implement the wonderful leakage suppression feature found in Trigger. Huge missed opportunity, IMO.
You silly goose! You can’t judge this plugin without even using it!

This gate is wizardry. One of the difficult things last week was trying to shoot the video and find a track where I even needed to use the debleeder because the regular transient driven gate section with all of its options was too effective already. Don’t believe me? Good you shouldn’t! Come to the booth and try it or wait another month and try it yourself!

Steven
Old 25th January 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 
jitterybit's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Damn. Sounds like no side chain, which means (in addition to the usual key spike trickery) you didn't implement the wonderful leakage suppression feature found in Trigger. Huge missed opportunity, IMO.
What's with the Sl8 G8 H8? You should W8 and try it M8.
Sorry... I couldn't resist.
Old 25th January 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 

The cool thing for me about gating drums from a side chain key is to be able to do post compression/distortion/reverb etc and get perfectly consistent and accurate triggering.

I love triggers gate and the way it visualises it - I was hoping for something similar to that, with external side chain and perhaps some more options for drawing in envelopes. I’m sure this one will work great for most “normal” use (and is a great addition to what’s currently available in VMR), but I hope the next ones are a bit more flexible.
Old 25th January 2019
  #20
Lives for gear
 
blackcom's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
If you are looking for sidechain effects, we have other products coming that will handle these tasks. Drum Gate is made to clean up drum tracks, even really problematic ones, with ease.

Cheers,
Steven
It said there will be two different gate plugins. Did that mean one VMR module and another general purpouse standalone gate plugin with lookahead?

My fav Drum Gate atm is Wilkinson DeBleeder. I Wonder how this purple module will compare.
Old 25th January 2019
  #21
Debleeder is my current go-to drum gate. Nothing really stands up to it. I see a Debleed setting on this and something tells me it’s actual bleed removal a la filtering or multibanding. That would make it my new go-to, but Debleeder left big shoes to fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom View Post
It said there will be two different gate plugins. Did that mean one VMR module and another general purpouse standalone gate plugin with lookahead?

My fav Drum Gate atm is Wilkinson DeBleeder. I Wonder how this purple module will compare.
Old 25th January 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
 
doom64's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
If you are looking for sidechain effects, we have other products coming that will handle these tasks. Drum Gate is made to clean up drum tracks, even really problematic ones, with ease.

Cheers,
Steven
No sarcasm, it's good to see you guys are finally working on implementing external sidechain options into your plugins. Especially considering VST3 natively supports it.
Old 25th January 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 
huub's Avatar
I currently use the gate from Slate trigger on drums and it's pretty fantastic. So I'm curious if this one is similar or even better.
Old 25th January 2019
  #24
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Hey guys, if you come to our booth 15902, we are isolating a snare drum from a busy drum room track. From a NAMM attendee “It’s defying physics”.

Please come hang with us and I’ll show it to you!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 25th January 2019
  #25
Gear Addict
 
mitgong's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
I currently use the gate from Slate trigger on drums and it's pretty fantastic. So I'm curious if this one is similar or even better.
Me too. The Trigger gate is a magical beast, secret weapon. I've hoped to have it ported into a separated plugin for years.
Old 26th January 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 

Please make a gate that can be triggered by midi or sidechain input!

A gate that can’t be triggered isn’t really any use to all us electronic musicians.

Last edited by lowkey; 26th January 2019 at 05:33 AM..
Old 26th January 2019
  #27
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
Please make a gate that can be triggered by midi or sidechain input!

A gate that can’t be triggered isn’t really any use to all us electronic musicians.
Couldn’t you automate the volume/mute on the track from MIDI instead?
Old 26th January 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
 
lowkey's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Couldn’t you automate the volume/mute on the track from MIDI instead?
Play a continuous pad/string. Add gate. Send midi pattern to open/close gate. Add delay. Tweak midi notes. Adjust gate attack and decay. New pad groove.

Play a 303 16ths pattern. Add gate. Send midi to cut notes out to give a straight 16ths pattern a new groove.

Both these things are very creative ways to get groove into songs. You can probably do it in automation, automation is much more difficult to edit and tweak than midi. Also harder to compare 3 or 4 different patterns in my experience.

Love creative gating!
Old 26th January 2019
  #29
Curious to see how this compares to drumatom.
Old 26th January 2019
  #30
Gear Nut
 
soulone82's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
there has been virtually zero advancements in gate plugins over the past decade.


Gatey Watey | Boz Digital Labs
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump