The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Slate Introduces Slate DRUM GATE
Old 4th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Another round of testing on more standard pop rock material yielded pretty similar results. Definitely had better luck with transient detection this time around, but once again, I'm not finding Slate Gate doing anything my usual tools can't do as well or better.

I'm particularly feeling the lack of look-ahead on this pop rock kick drum. There's audible chatter in the attack, and a not-slight loss of definition and detail. Between this and the lack of side chain features, I'm wondering: is the reason for excluding these due to the Virtual Mix Rack? Perhaps it doesn't support such a feature set? If so, I'd strongly encourage Slate to consider releasing this gate in an updated, more fully-functional form as a standalone plugin.
I believe the reason is to keep the plugins at 0 latency.
Old 4th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by samzilla View Post
I believe the reason is to keep the plugins at 0 latency.
Ah, that makes sense.
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

Bought it!

I feel it kills a little more high-end when using the debleeder function compared to Wilkonson DeBleeder regardless how i set it, any way around this?

The vocalmode removes breaths very easy, cool!

Also, congratulation on killing off 32-bit support, better to spend all resources on 64-bit.

Last edited by blackcom; 5th April 2019 at 07:01 AM..
Old 5th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom View Post
Bought it!

I feel it kills a little more high-end when using the debleeder function compared to Wilkonson DeBleeder regardless how i set it, any way around this?

Also, congratulation on killing off 32-bit support, better to spend all resources on 64-bit.
theres always a catch

some of us have old and new machines .. i need to check compatibility..
Old 5th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
theres always a catch

some of us have old and new machines .. i need to check compatibility..
I see this as a plus. 64bit is exponentially more efficient on machines. If anything, it’s worth the upgrade to prolong the life of older machines.
Old 5th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
I see this as a plus. 64bit is exponentially more efficient on machines. If anything, it’s worth the upgrade to prolong the life of older machines.
I know, but i'm stuck in time on one of my machines ..between HW Software compatibility limitations ..its working perfectly now and almost everyday..
when i'm ready, I will replace my interface and computer all at once (overthere) ..I'm sure I am not alone on this!
Old 5th April 2019
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom View Post
Bought it!

Try increasing the debleeder release, this should fix the highs issue. You may have to mess with the debleeder LPF a bit too!

Steven
Old 5th April 2019

Quote:
Another round of testing on more standard pop rock material yielded pretty similar results.
Thanks for the feedback! Can you PM me the track? We worked with hundreds of tracks during development with much success, so I’m hoping this is just due to having a new tool that you need to get a bit more comfy with. But if you have found a track that our gate can’t handle, then it’ll help us keep improving!

Having said that.. my bet is that we can work some magic!

Steven
Old 5th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Can you PM me the track? We worked with hundreds of tracks during development with much success, so I’m hoping this is just due to having a new tool that you need to get a bit more comfy with. But if you have found a track that our gate can’t handle, then it’ll help us keep improving!

Having said that.. my bet is that we can work some magic!

Steven
Hi Steven,

I want to be really clear that I think your gate works pretty darn well. My point wasn't so much that it doesn't work, as much as, it doesn't offer much that my existing tools weren't already doing as well or better. For a subscriber or owner of your plugin suite, who doesn't already own some of your competitors' gate offerings, I think your product is a great addition to their arsenal. It's a really strong product, albeit with a few (IMO) shortcomings: lack of lookahead, lack of sidechain, and a personal feeling that this gate is a few years too late to the market to make the sort of splash it could have.

To that last point, had this come out four or five years ago, it would've blown minds. Two or three years ago and it would have been a fierce competitor against a few like products. I just feel that in 2019, with all the offerings out there, you've landed a good-not-great plugin in a market filled with some seriously stiff competition. I hope you don't take this with any offense; I'm a huge admirer of your team's work and an avid (and very long time) user of several of your other products, and frankly, I'd love to see you guys fulfill the promise I'm sure you have when it comes to making an absolute show-stopper of a gate.

Now, with all that said, I'm willing to entertain the notion that in my unfamiliarity with this new gadget, and my EXTREME familiarity with my existing toolset, i'm responsible for the my feeling that Slate Gate didn't beat any of my usual go-tos, so in the interest of complete objectivity and fairness, I think it's only right for me to send you a couple clips to demonstrate. And, as an aside, I think it's really admirable that you come on here and make these sorts of requests and replies. Kudos, sir

Shall I PM through the Gearslutz messaging or elsewhere?
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Took a while to have time to check this out. Hell what a beast! Thanks for this and the plates!! very great stuff!!! Checked it on a snare together with audio assaults drez - even shy snares start to burn!!!
Old 5th April 2019

Quote:
Hi Steven,

I want to be really clear that I think your gate works pretty darn well. My point wasn't so much that it doesn't work, as much as, it doesn't offer much that my existing tools weren't already doing as well or better. For a subscriber or owner of your plugin suite, who doesn't already own some of your competitors' gate offerings, I think your product is a great addition to their arsenal. It's a really strong product, albeit with a few (IMO) shortcomings: lack of lookahead, lack of sidechain, and a personal feeling that this gate is a few years too late to the market to make the sort of splash it could have.

To that last point, had this come out four or five years ago, it would've blown minds. Two or three years ago and it would have been a fierce competitor against a few like products. I just feel that in 2019, with all the offerings out there, you've landed a good-not-great plugin in a market filled with some seriously stiff competition. I hope you don't take this with any offense; I'm a huge admirer of your team's work and an avid (and very long time) user of several of your other products, and frankly, I'd love to see you guys fulfill the promise I'm sure you have when it comes to making an absolute show-stopper of a gate.

Now, with all that said, I'm willing to entertain the notion that in my unfamiliarity with this new gadget, and my EXTREME familiarity with my existing toolset, i'm responsible for the my feeling that Slate Gate didn't beat any of my usual go-tos, so in the interest of complete objectivity and fairness, I think it's only right for me to send you a couple clips to demonstrate. And, as an aside, I think it's really admirable that you come on here and make these sorts of requests and replies. Kudos, sir

Shall I PM through the Gearslutz messaging or elsewhere?
Yes please DM me the links here! I remember PK Pandey took me to Mad Oak studios back when I was in Boston. Glad to see you guys still rockin!!

Steven
Old 5th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Yes please DM me the links here! I remember PK Pandey took me to Mad Oak studios back when I was in Boston. Glad to see you guys still rockin!!

Steven
Yep, PK's one of my partners here! We're busy as ever; it's been a really great few years. We're in a different building than the one you likely saw; maybe next time you're in town you can come by for a visit.

I'll put some examples together asap and hit you on the DM.
Old 6th April 2019
Yeah got nothing but good things to say about the new gates so far...I've only spent about an hour dicking with it but it sounds fabulous and very straightforward to use. I must admit thought that I agree that adding in a few of the features from Trigger would have been handy though. Maybe in the next version? Definitely a sidechain at least would be helpful.

That being said, I had no problem dialing it in and got great sounds very quickly, I only mention the Trigger thing as it might be handy down the road with more challenging material like a really light hitter, or this sort of thing. (I was using a live recording of a rock band, so pretty straightforward...man the snare really came out good.) But so far so good.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Great job, Steven...
Old 7th April 2019
Gear Head

Lookahead definitely helps with the transient detection function. The plugin needs this to determine if a sudden rise in signal level is in fact a transient or just random noise. A transient detection plugin without lookahead will be more prone to chatter and false triggering because it needs to make this determination before it has enough information (information that can only be gathered through lookahead). The only other option is to delay the gate opening slightly as more information is gathered, but without lookahead this will chop off the first few milliseconds of the transient. Lookahead provides the only was to reliably determine the onset of a transient without producing artifacts.

Mike

Last edited by Bayou Media; 7th April 2019 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: add more information
Old 8th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Media View Post
Lookahead definitely helps with the transient detection function. The plugin needs this to determine if a sudden rise in signal level is in fact a transient or just random noise. A transient detection plugin without lookahead will be more prone to chatter and false triggering because it needs to make this determination before it has enough information (information that can only be gathered through lookahead). The only other option is to delay the gate opening slightly as more information is gathered, but without lookahead this will chop off the first few milliseconds of the transient. Lookahead provides the only was to reliably determine the onset of a transient without producing artifacts.

Mike
how would you deal with a build up on toms .. _-` and get rid of the background noise..I lose the first few hits
and I liked the slate gate as well ..similar but different tools ..
Old 8th April 2019
Here for the gear

I updated my VMR and now none of my ilok plugins work. Anyone else enjoying this side benefit. Now I understand all of those guys who ilok so much.
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
how would you deal with a build up on toms .. _-` and get rid of the background noise..I lose the first few hits
and I liked the slate gate as well ..similar but different tools ..
For background noise, try something like Era Noise Remover or RX. Maybe even an multiband expander or one with at least an int side chain eq like Solera.

For build up maybe try something like Proximity or Entropy by Sonible with something like Boz Transify.

Those are just options but I am sure there are more alternatives out there. I am yet to try the Bayou or the Slate copy gates but I am sure both are quite useful. Not for $179 though, that's for sure.
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Hey Mike. Congrats on your work. I was gonna say careful when exposing the future plans for your plugin but I guess even to copy a product Slate Digital takes very long, so you should be safe. Best
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacertotambem View Post
Hey Mike. Congrats on your work. I was gonna say careful when exposing the future plans for your plugin but I guess even to copy a product Slate Digital takes very long, so you should be safe. Best
I appreciate the advice but I'm not too worried about it. If Slate can build a better gate then more power to them. At some point I'll probably do some kind of gate shoot-out but I'll have to post it somewhere else. Some of my recent posts appear to have been deleted and I got a warning from GearSlutz about posting in another vendor's thread. I was afraid that might happen but I was a little ticked off because they claimed to have invented something when they clearly got the idea from somewhere else.

Mike
Old 9th April 2019
Quote:
I appreciate the advice but I'm not too worried about it. If Slate can build a better gate then more power to them. At some point I'll probably do some kind of gate shoot-out but I'll have to post it somewhere else. Some of my recent posts appear to have been deleted and I got a warning from GearSlutz about posting in another vendor's thread. I was afraid that might happen but I was a little ticked off because they claimed to have invented something when they clearly got the idea from somewhere else.

Mike
hey
i like your gate but dont feel that its the same, have you tried the slate gate ?

I have now used both
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Mike
You know how it goes Mike. Youre only worth how much you weight in this silly environment. That is regardless if youre loaded with bull feces. It is all about the weight. Best
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
hey
i like your gate but dont feel that its the same, have you tried the slate gate ?

I have now used both
Not yet. I have only seen the demo. I'll take a look this weekend.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Where would one have a gate placed in the chain if using a real console.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Joe View Post
Where would one have a gate placed in the chain if using a real console.
A console with onboard dynamics will often give the option to go pre or post eq. Both can be useful, depending on what sort of eq needs a given track has. As for pre vs post compression, i prefer pre, for obvious bleed-related reasons.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks

Really liking this plugin, using the built in saturation on my Korg Odyssey adds unwanted hum this gate sorts it out and adds some nice changes to the sound with the right settings.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search