The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Waves introduces CLA MixHub Plugin
Old 24th January 2019
News Desk Editor

Waves introduces CLA MixHub Plugin-cla-mixhub.jpeg

The first plugin of its kind, CLA MixHub captures the smooth console workflow and rich analog sound of legendary mixer Chris Lord-Alge. Mix up to 64 tracks – all from the same plugin window – using channel strips modeled from CLA’s personal console. Mix musically, within the context of a song, as swiftly and effortlessly as your ideas come.

Plugins normally work on only one channel at a time. CLA MixHub is the first plugin to work in buckets – groupings of up to 8 channels, in up to 8 buckets in total. In other words, you can mix up to 64 channels from one CLA MixHub plugin window. By mixing tracks side by side in the MixHub’s buckets, you’ll gain a mixing perspective that lets you immediately hear how one track’s processing affects others within a song.

The Sound
The channel strips are meticulously modeled from the ground up with the latest technology, directly from Grammy-winning mix legend Chris Lord-Alge’s personal console – the console that Chris has used to mix a huge number of hits, from Green Day, Muse and Sugarland to Keith Urban and many more.

The Workflow
Once CLA MixHub is inserted on the channels in your mix, you can assign your tracks to buckets and begin making adjustments on the fly: mixing dynamics, EQ, saturation and more at a free-flowing pace without needing to switch plugin windows in your DAW.

While mixing, you can flip between two plugin view modes: Bucket View, with control of up to 8 channels at a time, or Channel View, focusing on a single channel’s processing chain.

Each channel consists of 5 sections: input, dynamics, EQ, output, and an insert point. Each processing module can be expanded to reveal additional functionality.

Input Section
The input section handles high- and low-pass filtering and switchable harmonic distortion. The “line” control models the line amp in Chris’s console, adding light saturation. For more extreme drive, kick in the mic pre. This, in effect, is like running a line-level signal through the console’s microphone preamp.

Dynamics
The dynamics section includes two flavors of compression: the console’s built-in compressor, as well as Chris’s favored “Bluey” compressor. Also included: a gate, expander and ducker with a “hold” control and flexible sidechain options for shaping a sound’s envelope – as Chris calls it, it’s a ‘super-gate.’

EQ
The EQ section includes 4 bands of parametric EQ, from wide bells to narrow boost and cuts, loaded with the console’s original ballistics and Q characteristics.

Output
The output section includes a VU meter and plasma-style PPM meter, plus a stereo imaging control and an output fader.

Insert Point
In CLA MixHub’s channel view, the insert point can be used for adding an additional Waves plugin to your MixHub’s chain, making it a one-stop solution for your entire mix.

Chris Lord-Alge on CLA MixHub:
“Mixing in buckets means the world to me. It’s one of the secrets to my success and to my fast-paced, decisive mixing. By creating this plugin, I’m able to give others access to that same quick workflow in a plugin, pushing the envelope of in-the-box mixing to the next, CLA-approved level.”

For more information: CLA MixHub Plugin | Waves
Attached Thumbnails
Waves introduces CLA MixHub Plugin-cla-mixhub-2.jpeg   Waves introduces CLA MixHub Plugin-cla-mixhub.jpeg  
Old 24th January 2019

I wonder how many mouse clicks this thing will actually save you?

Just buy a Console 1... they're like £300 right now.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodistortion View Post

I wonder how many mouse clicks this thing will actually save you?

Just buy a Console 1...
1 - 8
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

I can't believe that this only has gotten one like; there's no reason that you should be hating on Waves like that.

As a matter of fact Waves have been hitting the ball out the ballpark every time lately.

Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

First impressions: Rather high CPU load, latency due to oversampling. Input section is nice, generally not impressed. BX Console SSL4000 E sounds better to me with far less CPU and no latency

Found a bug on EQ treble section, processing bypass occasionally with BELL/SHELF switch. The treble boost sounds strange to me. Mid and bass section is improvement over the legacy version of E Channel
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

working on the demo now, gotta say my first thoughts are for me its a better workflow then my Console One. Just turning the knobs, and it sounds like an SSL 4K.

Still demoing, but looks promising for those that miss the LFC workflow. Also, haven't been able to get a good read on CPU load. It looks a bit higher then BX_SSL and Console One.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Will try this one in the morning. But first impression while reading from their site is, uhmm, why not get a controller for that workflow? All these options are already available in a DAW. Group Channel, VCA Channels, Auxes etc. Why didnt they incorporate some NLS variance to this also. Lets hear how it sounds in the morning! Cant wait!
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic View Post
Will try this one in the morning. But first impression while reading from their site is, uhmm, why not get a controller for that workflow? All these options are already available in a DAW. Group Channel, VCA Channels, Auxes etc. Why didnt they incorporate some NLS variance to this also. Lets hear how it sounds in the morning! Cant wait!
I think this really hits on the idea of using ProTools as the Playback device and focus your work on the console (well plugin of a console). Very similar to the idea that Console One has been promoting. However, waves have did it with a software-only solution. I think its a very clever approach.

I got the Console One when it was released. Loved it in my room, however it became a problem when i started to work in other studios. Packing it up and carrying it around became not worth the effort. I periodicially contact softube asking for a solution for non-hardware workflows (aka using my SSL 9k C1 without hardware on a fresh session).

I like the idea here that waves is selling. Just doing a mix of drums with just the plugin opened is nice. Having access at all the dyn and eqs at one time.

In the end, the real question is going to be CPU load for me. Can i do a mix without taking a large chunk of my CPU.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

If this includes analog summing emulation and channel variance emulation it could be interesting. Seems like most of the press focus is on workflow over sound. The workflow doesn’t seem appealing to me. I get it, he uses 10 fingers at once... I don’t have 10 mouse cursors.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

They should just go ahead and make a full DAW out of it!
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

This looks like it could be a lot of fun on a touchscreen. Waves plugins are already multitouch in Win 10, so you’ll be able to grab multiple controls at once.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

I already get this 'workflow' on my D-Command (ICON) system with pro tools. 24 faders, eq/inserts/sends/automation + centre section hardware knobs for eq (any eq not just waves all-in-one) and compression/gates/limiter....

obviously not everyone has or wants mid/large controllers but the video talks as if that kind of workflow hasn't already been available 'in the box' (with a good controller) for years already. But I can just call up any plug I want on the Dcommand, mix and match.

I think they are selling a red-herring here, as if by trying to shoe-horn CLA's workflow and console into a plug-in you'll suddenly be mixing like him, each mixer should find their own path. CLA's way won't suit everyone, maybe Tchad Blake's way is better (I prefer it) for example.

I think it is very obviously another marketing stunt/gimmick from waves, note how they can't ever just sell a plug in for what it is but it always has to have a famous name tacked on to validate it? That to me smacks of marketing to the naive rather than striving to seriously aid mixing or help newer mix engineers, who frankly should be finding their own path as said and using a variety of plugs as and when needed not trying to emulate a workflow that pretty much depends on physical controls, without any hardware, not even a controller, with a mouse and KB fully ITB. Selling a hazy dream, I've been mixing for years and been through these cycles of new toys/methods myself in the past and it always comes back to your own workflow and often bespoke plugs/hardware/hybrid as and when you need it.

If waves put as much time into making their plug-ins sound better and less time concocting ways to impress the easily impressionable (and often naive) then I may cut them some slack.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneKontrol View Post
I already get this 'workflow' on my D-Command (ICON) system with pro tools. 24 faders, eq/inserts/sends/automation + centre section hardware knobs for eq (any eq not just waves all-in-one) and compression/gates/limiter....

obviously not everyone has or wants mid/large controllers but the video talks as if that kind of workflow hasn't already been available 'in the box' (with a good controller) for years already. But I can just call up any plug I want on the Dcommand, mix and match.

I think they are selling a red-herring here, as if by trying to shoe-horn CLA's workflow and console into a plug-in you'll suddenly be mixing like him, each mixer should find their own path. CLA's way won't suit everyone, maybe Tchad Blake's way is better (I prefer it) for example.

I think it is very obviously another marketing stunt/gimmick from waves, note how they can't ever just sell a plug in for what it is but it always has to have a famous name tacked on to validate it? That to me smacks of marketing to the naive rather than striving to seriously aid mixing or help newer mix engineers, who frankly should be finding their own path as said and using a variety of plugs as and when needed not trying to emulate a workflow that pretty much depends on physical controls, without any hardware, not even a controller, with a mouse and KB fully ITB. Selling a hazy dream, I've been mixing for years and been through these cycles of new toys/methods myself in the past and it always comes back to your own workflow and often bespoke plugs/hardware/hybrid as and when you need it.

If waves put as much time into making their plug-ins sound better and less time concocting ways to impress the easily impressionable (and often naive) then I may cut them some slack.
I mean, that’s how it’s been for years.. even Nebula jumped in that boat with Greg Wells.

I suspect with Wells and CLA that they actually put time in working with the devs...
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki View Post
They should just go ahead and make a full DAW out of it!
Like Harrison Consoles did, with Mixbus and Mixbus32C?

Compression and EQ on every channel, in a DAW.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Like Harrison Consoles did, with Mixbus and Mixbus32C?

Compression and EQ on every channel, in a DAW.
As a MixBus and PT user, that's exactly my thought. All the tools are right there, just mix.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Like someone said, not everyone wants/needs yet another controller sitting on the desk. This is definitely a workflow enhancer to me. But I haven't heard it yet, not a huge fan of SSL anyway.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

I think it is very obviously another marketing stunt/gimmick from waves, note how they can't ever just sell a plug in for what it is but it always has to have a famous name tacked on to validate it?
You say that as if all Waves plugins are like that. Yes they've been very successful licensing big names or brands like Abbey Roads and API plugins. But they also have plenty of plugins without names attached like the H-Series and Sibilance.

Anyway there are companies like UAD and Plugin Alliance where pretty much all their products have licensed brands. Does it mean the UAD 1073 is crap if it has the official Neve licence? Maybe UAD can't flog plugins without famous names tacked on to validate them.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

There seems to be a bug when engaging the bell buttons. Anyone else having this problem besides the first poster?
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Lovely concept and sounding plugin with lot’s of bugs.
This is on my list when everything is running smoooth.
Old 24th January 2019
This is very clever and I really like the bucket view idea for listening faders up and making balance changes without closing and opening different plugins. Love that there's an insert slot on it for other plugins. Right on.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
Loving the concept and where things are starting to go. Years ago I mentioned somewhere on here that DAW programs should start offering sort of "console" packages. Say you like SSL...wouldn't it be cool if Pro Tools offered an "SSL Package" that basically turned the mix window in Pro Tools into an SSL 4000 E...kinda like Harrison Mixbus with the 32C?

Anyways, I've been waiting for this stuff to start happening for years...glad we are moving in that direction. Holding off on this plugin for now as I haven't upgraded my Waves plan from v9...but may check it out eventually. Nice job Waves
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

If I was to use this, I'd want Mute and Solo functions right there, at least on the bucket view.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head

meh...i was hoping for waves to release their own distressor emulation...but hey just add the CLA name to any plugin and you win easy money...
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
While I liked Waves SSL Bus comp I wasn't a fan of the EQ section on the Channel Strip. Is this an improvement? Or more of the same.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB_12 View Post
Loving the concept and where things are starting to go. Years ago I mentioned somewhere on here that DAW programs should start offering sort of "console" packages. Say you like SSL...wouldn't it be cool if Pro Tools offered an "SSL Package" that basically turned the mix window in Pro Tools into an SSL 4000 E...kinda like Harrison Mixbus with the 32C?
For years we have already had Harrison Mixbus like you've mentioned, and Propellerhead's Reason with its rather elaborate SSL console emulation, so technically the concept has been around for a long while now in regards to Harrison and SSL.

I guess the reason most of the attention so far seems to be on the workflow that this plug-in can provide is because sound wise, if you don't care about having a LFC workflow ITB, there are already console emulation plug-ins out there that will sound just as good or better than whatever this new product is currently offering in that department.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

This looks neat. Perfect for my mobile mixing setup where I don't have my console 1 with me. Will try it on the weekend.

edit: are you able to switch to the brown EQs?
Old 24th January 2019
Tried it out on a few sessions to see how easy it was to use.

Some of the knobs feel jumpy. The width knob especially.

The EQ here is WAY better than the SSL Legacy plug. What did they do to that mid section?

I get the workflow but not every song needs this sort of treatment...Feels like it would get boring over time. Plus, I already setup my own PT sessions, now I have to set this up as well? It just adds time and effort away from actual mixing for me.

Good for the hobbyist though. A stepping stone in some ways...

EQ sounds great though...
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

hmm- every time I think I'm done with plugins, Waves tempt me with something.

That comment about mute and solo buttons is bang on though. This thing will be hugely annoying to use without that feature. Also, what about sends to reverbs, etc? Presumably those happen in your DAW and you put those in one of the buckets, but it still leads to an uneasy mix of conventional DAW workflow and this thing. If it was $29 (which it will inevitably be at some point), I'd probably get it.

Am looking forward to reports of how this sounds, and I'll probably end up demoing it at some point.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwars View Post
Good for the hobbyist though. A stepping stone in some ways...
Definitely. A good way to help some people learn how to keep things simpler while working ITB.
Old 24th January 2019
Mho
Lives for gear

I really like it. There is some overdrive going on when you push the channels. And it feels really different than the classic waves channelstrip. It really holds up with the UAD SSL Mk2.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search