Waves introduces CLA MixHub Plugin - Page 29 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves introduces CLA MixHub Plugin
Old 27th April 2020 | Show parent
  #841
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
I think we agree that that Mixhub is very good but you can’t really comment on the quality of it vs BX J until you’ve tried that
You're right , and I'll be sure to come back and comment on it here in this thread once I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
I’m sure there are scenarios where Mixhub can be better - wish Brainworx would take a leaf out of Waves’ book for smooth knob controls - the BX consoles are fiddly as hell!!
Some of the controls on the UI are way too tiny as well! But one thing I do find to be a huge workflow enhancer is the ability to quickly toggle back and forth with your current knob setting and the plug-in default. With other plug-ins I have to flip back and forth between A and B save settings to mimic anything close.
Old 27th April 2020 | Show parent
  #842
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
You're right , and I'll be sure to come back and comment on it here in this thread once I do.



Some of the controls on the UI are way too tiny as well! But one thing I do find to be a huge workflow enhancer is the ability to quickly toggle back and forth with your current knob setting and the plug-in default. With other plug-ins I have to flip back and forth between A and B save settings to mimic anything close.
Do you mean the bx consoles? If so, How do you "quickly toggle back and forth with your current knob setting and the plug-in default" on the bx consoles? Thanks!
Old 27th April 2020 | Show parent
  #843
Lives for gear
 
djrustycans's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daudio View Post
Do you mean the bx consoles? If so, How do you "quickly toggle back and forth with your current knob setting and the plug-in default" on the bx consoles? Thanks!
On a Mac, you click ‘Alt/Option’ - I only discovered this last week, very handy!
Old 27th April 2020 | Show parent
  #844
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
On a Mac, you click ‘Alt/Option’ - I only discovered this last week, very handy!
Thanks! I know that option clicking on a bx console knob returns it to default, but are you saying that if you Option click it again a second time the knob then goes back to what you had it at Originally before you did the first click?
Old 27th April 2020 | Show parent
  #845
Lives for gear
 
djrustycans's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daudio View Post
That’s great, thanks! But what do you option-click on the plug-in GUI?
Yep, on the EQ knobs. For example, if you boost the high shelf +5db and then Alt-click the gain, it jumps back to the default gain setting (and back again if you click again).
Old 27th April 2020 | Show parent
  #846
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Yep, on the EQ knobs. For example, if you boost the high shelf +5db and then Alt-click the gain, it jumps back to the default gain setting (and back again if you click again).
Cool, thanks, didn’t know that! Is that on all of the BX consoles?
Old 27th April 2020 | Show parent
  #847
Lives for gear
 
djrustycans's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daudio View Post
Cool, thanks, didn’t know that! Is that on all of the BX consoles?
Well, at least SSL E, G & J, so presumably yes!
Old 27th April 2020 | Show parent
  #848
Gear Nut
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Well, at least SSL E, G & J, so presumably yes!
Thank you!
Old 28th April 2020 | Show parent
  #849
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daudio View Post
Cool, thanks, didn’t know that! Is that on all of the BX consoles?
Yep. The Focusrite and SSL console plug-ins. It would be great if every plug-in had that functionality.
Old 4th May 2020
  #850
Lives for gear
 
Motor For Music's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Just purchased CLA Mixhub and its a pleasure to mix with, sounded superior to using multiple instances of a UAD SSL.

Made me feel like I was mixing on an analog console, just sounds right to me
Old 30th May 2020
  #851
Lives for gear
 
Glenn Bucci's Avatar
 
40 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
One thing that is not talked about enough is the Mixhub setup. I am a Cubase user and the mixer page is pretty lame compared to the Harrison 32C. So in Cubase if I put all my channels with the CLA Mixhub, I can see multple EQs at at time with knobs and everything is clear with adjusting EQ. This really improves work flow a lot and it was not until I worked with the mixer page on the Harrison 32C have I realized this is the best way of working. All EQ, compressors and tape plug in capabilties for every channel right in front of you. However since Cubase is so much more developed, i can't live wtihout the Project page options it provides. Therefore having the CLA Mixhub on all my channels is the next best thing.
Old 30th July 2020
  #852
Here for the gear
 
Valle's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Gotta love SSL plugins, BUT this has got to be a joke:

I do a lot “mixing with the eyes”, because (paradoxically enough) I get to find the things I’d like to hear faster. So, when you use such a great plugin as CLA MixHub, you have no choice but to go old school and use only your ears. And I must say that I am impressed by some mixer engineers who praise that CLA MixHub “solo EQ button” feature. Because, as far as I’m concerned, it annoys the hell out of me.

You see; we all know that the plugins knob labels don’t represent the actual frequency. If you dial in 7k you may end up around 8k, or if you dial in 200 Hz you may land closer to 100 Hz. And that’s absolutely fine, because that’s what we expect from the “real thing” … But when you use the “solo EQ button”, the plugin doesn’t sweep accordingly to the plugins SSL algorithms. Instead (in Solo EQ mode), when you press and turn the knob to 7k you will actually (hear) bandpass at 7k, but as soon you release the knob the frequency cut/boost jumps to 8k …

To me that makes absolutely no sense.

(And I bet many of us didn’t know this )
Old 4th October 2020
  #853
Gear Addict
 
UltraByte's Avatar
any way to use the lite version for drafting and full for print ? (ie like offline processing)

edit: nevermind, found the answer in Andrei's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68mtN5WYLiM

edit2: maybe it was already mentioned in this thread, didnt read all but in any case:

short addition regarding switching from LITE to full for the rendering. besides Andrei's way featured in the video which is DAW dependent the Mixhub also allows copy and paste from the lite to the full version.
- draft the work in lite
- press save, select copy
- load mixhub full
- press load, select paste
- delete lite
Old 5th October 2020 | Show parent
  #854
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
You're right , and I'll be sure to come back and comment on it here in this thread once I do.
It is now my go to SSL channel strip ITB.
Old 11th October 2020 | Show parent
  #855
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
For most realistic SSL 4K sound it's the CLA Hub, used as I single plug in. The problem is that it's so extremely CPU expensive. I wish it was possible to downscale the samplerate or something. I know it suffer in the drive department, but still it would be a great tool for normal channel work. I think it's a mistake that waves didn't though of that, it would sell more. Oh and btw. you can't clip distort the BX channels as authentic as the CLA does it. It's not about saturation. Take a Hardware SSL strip and compare for yourself. The compression on all the strips is just wrong. Not a bad compresse in itself, but they can't handle transient like the real deal. CLA is really close. When you drive the EQ it self it will compress in a impressive subtle way. Try it.
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
  #856
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Yep, on the EQ knobs. For example, if you boost the high shelf +5db and then Alt-click the gain, it jumps back to the default gain setting (and back again if you click again).
The same trick works on the Elysia plugins too.
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
  #857
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraByte View Post
any way to use the lite version for drafting and full for print ? (ie like offline processing)

edit: nevermind, found the answer in Andrei's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68mtN5WYLiM

edit2: maybe it was already mentioned in this thread, didnt read all but in any case:

short addition regarding switching from LITE to full for the rendering. besides Andrei's way featured in the video which is DAW dependent the Mixhub also allows copy and paste from the lite to the full version.
- draft the work in lite
- press save, select copy
- load mixhub full
- press load, select paste
- delete lite
The other process you can use is just use the standard version on your primary tracks like lead vocals, kick, snare, bass and use the lite version on everything else.

This way there is also something a little extra special about the tracks you want to stand out, making it slightly easier to push the other elements in the background and saving you the extra DSP AND time copying/pasting.

MixHub Regular & Lite will still work along side each other in the Buckets mode, too.
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
  #858
Gear Addict
 
UltraByte's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
The other process you can use is just use the standard version on your primary tracks like lead vocals, kick, snare, bass and use the lite version on everything else.

This way there is also something a little extra special about the tracks you want to stand out, making it slightly easier to push the other elements in the background and saving you the extra DSP AND time copying/pasting.

MixHub Regular & Lite will still work along side each other in the Buckets mode, too.
thank you, yes i will try this.

i absolutely fell in love wiht the bucket mode. everything is great and thoughtfully designed (like the way you can push it) but the bucket mode quickly sneaked on a permanent spot on the 3rd monitor.

i wish Waves would have aimed for a less cringe inducing commercial when they released it. I tucked it mentally away as a "toy" for over a year.
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
  #859
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraByte View Post
thank you, yes i will try this.

i absolutely fell in love wiht the bucket mode. everything is great and thoughtfully designed (like the way you can push it) but the bucket mode quickly sneaked on a permanent spot on the 3rd monitor.

i wish Waves would have aimed for a less cringe inducing commercial when they released it. I tucked it mentally away as a "toy" for over a year.
Over time I have come to realise that their plugins generally come from a good place the desire to do something different, something creative, something helpful.

... then marketing gets their hands on it.

It's not always lame or cheesy, they've actually got quite few good ads, but sometimes I think they miss the mark a bit. Personally, with this ad though, I don't think it was particularly cheesy, maybe a tiny bit, but I also didn't get "toy" from it. I'm actually surprised you did actually.

Is it because it had CLA's name attached to it?? Because offering up a full fledged channel strip to the public complete with buckets doesn't really say "toy" to me.
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
  #860
Gear Addict
 
UltraByte's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
Over time I have come to realise that their plugins generally come from a good place the desire to do something different, something creative, something helpful.

... then marketing gets their hands on it.

It's not always lame or cheesy, they've actually got quite few good ads, but sometimes I think they miss the mark a bit. Personally, with this ad though, I don't think it was particularly cheesy, maybe a tiny bit, but I also didn't get "toy" from it. I'm actually surprised you did actually.

Is it because it had CLA's name attached to it?? Because offering up a full fledged channel strip to the public complete with buckets doesn't really say "toy" to me.
yes, completely agree.

you see waves in studios everywhere all over the sessions. its not just paid sponsoring. You also see other developers praising even the oldest plugins (like Fabien speaking fondly about RComp's coding in the plugin analysis thread) and they usually get the job done well and tested.
I got to realize that they know their business. Not only coding related but also in audio engineering related which some companies seem to lack.

The "toy" image i had regarding most CLA products culminating in the mixhub commercial built up from previous offerings i guess. While i deeply respect CLA as person, the use of fake loudpspeakers and graphics on the CLA Vocals, Mixdown and Effects seemed gimmicky and toy like. When Mixhub got released it seemed to just confirm my untested first perception and thus prejudice.

On a side note I would wish they would actually overhaul the UI framework to allow resizing. This would work better for high dpi displays.
Old 17th October 2020 | Show parent
  #861
Lives for gear
 
Ol' Betsey's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
MixHub crashing PT/LPX sessions

Anybody else finding Mixhub crashing their Pro Tools/LPX sessions?

I just upgraded to Mojave (10.14.6) and it's crashing my sessions like crazy.

PlugIn Path: /Applications/Waves/*/CLA MixHub.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CLA MixHub
PlugIn Identifier: com.WavesAudio.CLA MixHub.11.0.64
PlugIn Version: 11.0.64 (11.0.64135)

I'll write support as well but thought I'd ask here too.

R.
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
  #862
Lives for gear
 
Kyle Ashley's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraByte View Post
On a side note I would wish they would actually overhaul the UI framework to allow resizing. This would work better for high dpi displays.
ditto this....if anybody from Waves sees this. You are falling way behind on GUI resizing options. everyone is doing it now. I like mixhub, but it looks like a postage stamp at my screen rez. c'mon now.
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
  #863
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Please write to the support directly or and on FB, please... I doubt they are watching here. Waves are terrible in regards to updating their plugins, but pressure will help, I'm sure.
Thanks man.
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
  #864
Lives for gear
 
Ol' Betsey's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydfar View Post
Please write to the support directly or and on FB, please... I doubt they are watching here. Waves are terrible in regards to updating their plugins, but pressure will help, I'm sure.
Thanks man.
Yep. Already have. Just wondering if it's my system or if others are seeing more crashes in Mojave/Catalina?

R

EDIT: Update. Removed all CLA Mixhub plugs and not even 5 minutes later had another crash with this in the log.

PlugIn Path: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/WaveShell1-AU 9.92.component/Contents/Resources/WaveShell-AU-CocoaView.bundle/Contents/MacOS/WaveShell-AU-CocoaView
PlugIn Identifier: com.Waves.Waveshell-AU-CocoaView
PlugIn Version: ??? (0)



Only had Mojave on my system for a few days now but not feeling great about it. Wondering if I should go straight to Catalina...

R.
Old 18th October 2020
  #865
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I get crashes with the Au version every time in Ableton. I’m actually scared to use this plug tbh. It keeps messing up my seasons which is a real bummer.
Old 19th October 2020 | Show parent
  #866
Lives for gear
 
deondamage's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Cougar View Post
I get crashes with the Au version every time in Ableton. I’m actually scared to use this plug tbh. It keeps messing up my seasons which is a real bummer.
I recently listened to a long interview with a plugin developer and one of the topics was VST or AU? He recommended using the VST version instead, as the AU version just has extra wrapping code. There are no benefits.

I`m not a programmer, but I would imagine the only time an AU plugin could outperform a VST version, is if it was developed as an AU from the ground up, which might be rare.

Have you tried the VST version in Ableton?
Old 19th October 2020 | Show parent
  #867
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Yep. Already have. Just wondering if it's my system or if others are seeing more crashes in Mojave/Catalina?

R

EDIT: Update. Removed all CLA Mixhub plugs and not even 5 minutes later had another crash with this in the log.

PlugIn Path: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/WaveShell1-AU 9.92.component/Contents/Resources/WaveShell-AU-CocoaView.bundle/Contents/MacOS/WaveShell-AU-CocoaView
PlugIn Identifier: com.Waves.Waveshell-AU-CocoaView
PlugIn Version: ??? (0)



Only had Mojave on my system for a few days now but not feeling great about it. Wondering if I should go straight to Catalina...

R.
My comment was directed to the resizing and GUI issues... But I'm sorry to hear about your situation, that is not cool. :(
Old 19th October 2020 | Show parent
  #868
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deondamage View Post

Have you tried the VST version in Ableton?
BTW, Waves Audio Units are not officially supported on Ableton.
Old 19th October 2020 | Show parent
  #869
Gear Addict
 
UltraByte's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley View Post
ditto this....if anybody from Waves sees this. You are falling way behind on GUI resizing options. everyone is doing it now. I like mixhub, but it looks like a postage stamp at my screen rez. c'mon now.
looks like we got lucky. i cant believe they finally implemented it.
Those buckets fill the entire 3rd screen now. wouldnt go past 125% though as it gets rather blurry fast
Old 20th October 2020 | Show parent
  #870
Lives for gear
 
deondamage's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraByte View Post
looks like we got lucky. i cant believe they finally implemented it.
Those buckets fill the entire 3rd screen now. wouldnt go past 125% though as it gets rather blurry fast
Ah, so they didn`t use vector files for the GUI. Lame!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 777 views: 128723
Avatar for galaydees
galaydees 2 days ago
replies: 666 views: 97967
Avatar for bilal.robin
bilal.robin 21 hours ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump