The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Waves introduces CLA MixHub Plugin
Old 30th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpaMusik View Post
I just purchased Sonimus Satson CS because the mixhub is so heavy on the cpu - The workflow is different but the sound is awesome. Think it's a nice alternative for CLA MixHub
I am just trying to weight this up too. I got mixhub when it came out, then sold it - instantly regretted it. Have also been on the fence about sonimus the whole time.
I really like both of them a lot and thunk they are great, but i already have a number of options which is why i have been hesitant to just grab more and more stuff. Though i am starting to think i prefer both of these options to my existing SSl options (PA, SSLNative etc etc)

The sonimus compressor is versatile but the attack doesnt grab down on the initial transients very quickly (which isn't handy on some sources when super fast attack is needed, but i find it perfect for drum close mics)

The drive on both is fantastic, with the workflow of the sonimus drive being smooth as hell (also sonimus has the option of multiple drive modules and selectable oversampling options)

The low end on the sonimus EQ is really smooth and fat - sounds awesome. The Waves eq is snappier in my recollection and has instant SSL vibe.
Both great, similarly priced in the current sale.

Tough choice!
Old 30th August 2019
Gear Addict

Still struggling with that choice again today. Just tried Sonimus again - the drive is lovely on it. Comp has a lovely smack (despite not being as quick sounding on the attack) also love that low end on the EQ.
With the sales on Mixhub and Satson are very similarly priced. Very tough indeed.
Old 30th August 2019
Gear Nut

A combination of Fabfilter Q3, C2 and Sonimus SC if The CLA Mixhub is to heavy on the cpu is awesome.
Love the sound of Mixhub, but not using it any longer
Old 30th August 2019
Gear Addict

Just did a typical rock mix with CLA Hub, wanted to see how well it would work mixing in "bucket" fashion

62 tracks total - 6 FX returns
Had 39 channels with CLA Mix Hub
a couple of H-EQ
CLAla2a loaded into the insert of one of the mix hubs

FX returns
3 echo boys
1 RVerb
1 Abby Roads Plates
1 doubler
1 TrueVerb

Had J37 Tape on Drum bus

Mstr:
The Glue
Pultec EQ
Softtube Tape

i5 quad 3.2ghz Win10 PT 2019.x
RME Raydat @ 128 buffer
78% CPU total

Light automation.
Threw NLS on same channels as Mixhub with the "mike" button selected.

It was kind of a new experience mixing in this fashion - in buckets of 8.

other than some lag when stopping or starting the transport, I really didn't even notice any CPU load. No drop outs, etc... If I had, I would have bumped it up to 256.

I found that I liked the sound of it over the BX-Console SSL. Seemed to have more attitude when driven, more harmonically rich.
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwave View Post
Just did a typical rock mix with CLA Hub, wanted to see how well it would work mixing in "bucket" fashion

a couple of H-EQ

FX returns
3 echo boys
1 RVerb
1 Abby Roads Plates
1 doubler
1 TrueVerb

Had J37 Tape on Drum bus

Mstr:
The Glue
Pultec EQ
Softtube Tape

RME Raydat @ 128 buffer
78% CPU total

Light automation.

other than some lag when stopping or starting the transport, I really didn't even notice any CPU load. No drop outs, etc... If I had, I would have bumped it up to 256.

I found that I liked the sound of it over the BX-Console SSL. Seemed to have more attitude when driven, more harmonically rich.
Oh nice!!

From memory, the “Mike” channels are from an EMI TG desk. The Spike is SSL and the Nevo is Neve. But there is no law saying you can’t blend different “colors” together. In fact, it’s probably better if you do throw some variation in there.
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Nut

Is there a major quality difference with the CLA Hub vs Waves SSL E/G channel?
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
I would not say quality. The difference is CLA Hub sounds more authentic. There are some years between them in developer experience.

With the CLA you can't do much wrong, it sounds always good. The input module distorsion is great also the bluey comp.

And there is a slot for another Waves plugin. I tried CLA-2a or CLA-3a with interesting results.

Great SSL emulation but I never used the hub section so far.

For more clean mixes, I prefer the bx SSL 4000 G.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

a couple of H-EQ

FX returns
3 echo boys
1 RVerb
1 Abby Roads Plates
1 doubler
1 TrueVerb

Had J37 Tape on Drum bus

Mstr:
The Glue
Pultec EQ
Softtube Tape

RME Raydat @ 128 buffer
78% CPU total

Light automation.

If youre just mixing then latency is not a factor. You should set your buffers as high as possible and gain the extra cpu available
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurdish mayfield View Post
If youre just mixing then latency is not a factor. You should set your buffers as high as possible and gain the extra cpu available
That's true, but people keep saying what a CPU hog these thing are - CLA Mix hub, Abby Roads plates and Chambers. I use them all the time to mix. and don't need to change my buffers to go from tracking to mixing. So my example was how many instances of them I ran at 128 on an i5.

I would never track through them. I have outboard for tracking.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
That's true, but people keep saying what a CPU hog these thing are - CLA Mix hub, Abby Roads plates and Chambers. I use them all the time to mix. and don't need to change my buffers to go from tracking to mixing. So my example was how many instances of them I ran at 128 on an i5.

We work @ 96k so CPU usage can be an issue. Still, with a 2013 MacPro 12-core cylinder there's no problem with 40-50 tracks plus anything else that's necessary (have to buffer when mixing).Usually mix and match Mixhub + Scheps Omni channel. Both are very good IMO.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Users can be such hypocrites really. They all go on how they wasn’t something more authentic, and accurate and they want it to oversample. But then they complain when the plugins use too much CPU.

They got what they wanted. You can’t improve quality without increasing calculations. Increasing calculations will always tax the CPU more. You can either have a less detailed plugin and save the CPU or you can have something more detailed but comes with a higher CPU load. You just can’t have both.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2018 View Post
Waves nailed the character of the EQ in the older plug-in, but in comparison to hardware, it sounded more "2D" overall. MixHub, like some of the better SSL emulations out there, gets much closer to nailing the right overall sound, and as such, nails the character of the EQ even more because of that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurdish mayfield View Post
If youre just mixing then latency is not a factor.
Unless you're using a MIDI based mixing control surface (Mackie, Behringer, etc.). Higher latency means more lag, and more lag makes motorized faders almost useless.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Unless you're using a MIDI based mixing control surface (Mackie, Behringer, etc.). Higher latency means more lag, and more lag makes motorized faders almost useless.
Very true.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That’s an interesting point, I never thought about it that way. Of course, I don’t have a controller and I do try to build mixes to be as static as possible. Of course movement in a mix is important, I just try to build things so it’s a s fast and as simple as possible.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
That’s an interesting point, I never thought about it that way. Of course, I don’t have a controller and I do try to build mixes to be as static as possible. Of course movement in a mix is important, I just try to build things so it’s a s fast and as simple as possible.
Man I get so caught up between the idea of wanting a SoundGrid Server, versus more pricey computer upgrades. Especially since the demand for more CPU seems to be on the rise for plugins in general.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man I get so caught up between the idea of wanting a SoundGrid Server, versus more pricey computer upgrades. Especially since the demand for more CPU seems to be on the rise for plugins in general.
A lot of people currently seem to be focused on trying to upgrade their rig(s) at the moment. Those new IK tape plug-ins are no joke!

I honestly prefer the idea of just upgrading your rig so you have the most powerful native processing solution you can possibly afford, if not the most powerful configuration currently available. That approach benefits everything you do beyond just powering some plug-ins.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
A lot of people currently seem to be focused on trying to upgrade their rig(s) at the moment. Those new IK tape plug-ins are no joke!

I honestly prefer the idea of just upgrading your rig so you have the most powerful native processing solution you can possibly afford, if not the most powerful configuration currently available. That approach benefits everything you do beyond just powering some plug-ins.
This is my way of thinking as well. Native will eventually be the future as computers get ever more powerful and it's far more convenient for end users if they have a rig that can handle it.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Of course if you have a controller, you could simply make a final pass and write all fader moves, them raise the latency ,pile on effects and export your mix.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Considering the recent price drop in new i9 core X processors, I’d say go with a computer upgrade.
All these offloading boxes.. I try to avoid them. Never the best bang for buck.

Considering an 18 core i9 is now just shy of 1k...

What kind of i3/i5 is in a 1k soundgrid server?

Ok. You can build a whole computer around that 18core i9 for 2-2.5k in parts.

What processor is in a 2.5k soundgrid server?

Buy a computer.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
Considering the recent price drop in new i9 core X processors, I’d say go with a computer upgrade.
All these offloading boxes.. I try to avoid them. Never the best bang for buck.

Considering an 18 core i9 is now just shy of 1k...

What kind of i3/i5 is in a 1k soundgrid server?

Ok. You can build a whole computer around that 18core i9 for 2-2.5k in parts.

What processor is in a 2.5k soundgrid server?

Buy a computer.
Best advice you will get imho. The processors in SoundGrid aren't great.

Edit: I really like Waves plugins by the way so not against them just don't really see value in SoundGrid.

Also don't just go for sheer number of cores in a processor - the individual clocking speed of individual cores is vital in music production as a lot of audio has to be processed by the same core and can't take advantage of multi-core processing. So a combination of fast and large number is best. You will find really high number core processors like Xeon have slower individual clock speeds - the reason I went for i9-9900k.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search