The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Slate Overloud TH-U Slate Edition - Amp Rig Captures In The Box & Much More
Old 19th June 2019
  #451
Gear Addict
 
QuintaQuad's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiiyanne View Post
Not a fan of VMR? All modules?
I think they just mean freeing the modules from the VMR shell. Many of us would like the option of using individual modules without having to load them into the rack.
Old 19th August 2019
  #452
Gear Head
 
Massan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem bankin View Post
Here is comparison

Real 6505 direct head ..thru reamp box ,and overloud "direct" 6505
and they processed with same cab ...

You can clearly hear a huge difference....
This +10000

Hi Steven.

Whats the state of things doing DIRECT or MERGED profiles for TH-U?
as was pointed out multiple times, its entirely possible with your tech
the key is to profile the amps direct, and then copy the cab from the ordinary amp+cab profile
its called MERGED profile
here's a detailed video on the subject

We really need these options in TH-U, as its definitely going to to take it to the next level.

I like those new choptones profiles - they are outstanding,
but the fact that they sound awful with the third party cabs really makes them of no use to me personally as I like my own cab IRs and would love to use them with direct amp profiles

The choptones guys sell DIRECT and MERGED packs for kemper, they definitely know how to produce those
I strongly suggest to implement those profiles as I'll get them the same moment they appear in the store

Thanks
Old 27th August 2019
  #453
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Grabbed the Vintage Collection 1 in the sale (which ends today). I continue to think TH-U is the best amp simulation out there.

I think if they had slicker marketing and better videos/presets, they'd be utterly dominant. I think their rig capture tech is what the Kemper wants to be, sonically.
Old 27th August 2019
  #454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Grabbed the Vintage Collection 1 in the sale (which ends today). I continue to think TH-U is the best amp simulation out there.

I think if they had slicker marketing and better videos/presets, they'd be utterly dominant. I think their rig capture tech is what the Kemper wants to be, sonically.
I thought it was Kemper tech?
Either way it sounds so good.
Great crunchy sounds and the fact that you can put pedals and fx on easy
Old 27th August 2019
  #455
Lives for gear
 
nyandres's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Grabbed the Vintage Collection 1 in the sale (which ends today). I continue to think TH-U is the best amp simulation out there.

I think if they had slicker marketing and better videos/presets, they'd be utterly dominant. I think their rig capture tech is what the Kemper wants to be, sonically.
Have both... THU is not even close to the kemper in my opinion though sonically... Still prefer S gear to THU actually sometimes. I do use THU or S gear though when on the go as it sounds good enough for a great release anyway. The guitar software built into Antelope interfaces is closer to the kemper in terms of quality which is still in my opinion the gold (platinum maybe) standard.
Old 27th August 2019
  #456
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
I thought it was Kemper tech?
Either way it sounds so good.
Great crunchy sounds and the fact that you can put pedals and fx on easy
They’ve teased the idea of being able to convert Kemper profiles to their proprietary format but we haven’t seen that yet. The rigs Overloud is doing are from their own process.
Old 27th August 2019
  #457
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
Have both... THU is not even close to the kemper in my opinion though sonically...
You’re right, they’re not that close. Because TH-U actually sounds like an amp.

Totally subjective of course. I’ve had the Kemper three times now and I just find it to sound flat. TH-U is the first sim my ears have ever taken seriously. But there’s no accounting for taste. We all hear things differently. When I tried the Scuffham stuff I couldn’t put it away fast enough.
Old 27th August 2019
  #458
Lives for gear
 
nyandres's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
You’re right, they’re not that close. Because TH-U actually sounds like an amp.

Totally subjective of course. I’ve had the Kemper three times now and I just find it to sound flat. TH-U is the first sim my ears have ever taken seriously. But there’s no accounting for taste. We all hear things differently. When I tried the Scuffham stuff I couldn’t put it away fast enough.
We can disagree but for me thats actually where the thu lacks next to kemper or antelope... Not as nice as helix either but its really good sounding like helix, but not quite an amp in most ways, related to feel and expression while behind the instrument.
Old 28th August 2019
  #459
Gear Head
 
Massan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
Have both... THU is not even close to the kemper in my opinion though sonically... Still prefer S gear to THU actually sometimes. I do use THU or S gear though when on the go as it sounds good enough for a great release anyway. The guitar software built into Antelope interfaces is closer to the kemper in terms of quality which is still in my opinion the gold (platinum maybe) standard.
based on your subjective feelings? its not a good way to compare things

and sorry to tell you but its bullcrap
do you have Choptones FRIED50D for both kemper and th-u?
because if you did you would know they cancel out 90db, which means they sound virtually identical and are indeed converted from the kemper profiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
They’ve teased the idea of being able to convert Kemper profiles to their proprietary format but we haven’t seen that yet. The rigs Overloud is doing are from their own process.
I'm 99.99% sure theres a converter after comparing choptones packs.
its such a bummer its not public though. I'd certainly convert my direct/merged profiles from the kemper which is the only thing missing in TH-U for me.
Old 28th August 2019
  #460
Lives for gear
 
nyandres's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massan View Post
based on your subjective feelings? its not a good way to compare things

and sorry to tell you but its bullcrap
do you have Choptones FRIED50D for both kemper and th-u?
because if you did you would know they cancel out 90db, which means they sound virtually identical and are indeed converted from the kemper profiles.


I'm 99.99% sure theres a converter after comparing choptones packs.
its such a bummer its not public though. I'd certainly convert my direct/merged profiles from the kemper which is the only thing missing in TH-U for me.
Again my experience w both. Its possible that it is the sounds. But also is the 90db phase cancel in a wide range of gain, because that is where the kemper always wins for me... the feel, and expressive response... i did say any can make a pro track though. Even a pod hd can. But which one responds most like my amps... its been the kemper, and its not close, but in a recording most may not care anyway.
Old 28th August 2019
  #461
Gear Head
 
Massan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
Again my experience w both. Its possible that it is the sounds. But also is the 90db phase cancel in a wide range of gain, because that is where the kemper always wins for me... the feel, and expressive response... i did say any can make a pro track though. Even a pod hd can. But which one responds most like my amps... its been the kemper, and its not close, but in a recording most may not care anyway.
I dont disagree with the notion that its not close to the real amp, but yes its in the ballpark

yes! compared using a high gain profile.

the stock TH-U profiles can't really do it any justice, but the new choptones packs is where its at(considering its the same packs as for the kemper - preset names, preset count match 100%)
kemper or its reverse engineered sibling, its still zeroes and ones.

I'd go as far to say that if the converter was public I'd strongly consider ditching the hardware.
(but in the meantime there are only a few packs offered and sadly no direct profiles)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #462
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
Have both... THU is not even close to the kemper in my opinion though sonically... Still prefer S gear to THU actually sometimes. I do use THU or S gear though when on the go as it sounds good enough for a great release anyway. The guitar software built into Antelope interfaces is closer to the kemper in terms of quality which is still in my opinion the gold (platinum maybe) standard.
Interesting you mention the Antelope Amps, I have used a Kemper and have the Slate offerings as well as some old school plugins, Guitar Rig and Waves Amp/Cabs. I also find the Antelope Amps best after the Kemper ...Which kind of surprised me, I'm not a fan of their mic modelling efforts at all personally.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #463
Lives for gear
 
nyandres's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmanch View Post
Interesting you mention the Antelope Amps, I have used a Kemper and have the Slate offerings as well as some old school plugins, Guitar Rig and Waves Amp/Cabs. I also find the Antelope Amps best after the Kemper ...Which kind of surprised me, I'm not a fan of their mic modelling efforts at all personally.
I actually like the Antelope mic emulations (they sound nice), but I do have doubts on their accuracy, considering the Townsend emulations sound a lot more like what I remember of the 87 for example. I think the townsend is the gold standard for that sort of thing.

But yeah, in spite of thinking THU is not quite there, I think noone on earth would care in a mix... in a mix it sounds legit, and that is all that matters... I have songs Ive done on the go, where without my guitar Ive used samples, and most people dont care or notice lol... I do, but that doesnt matter
Old 3 weeks ago
  #464
Gear Head
 

Waiting since January for the possibility of making our own profiles or as it was promised the ability to convert our kemper profiles....
Old 2 weeks ago
  #465
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

IIRC you'd have to send your Profiles in to be converted. I assume there'd be some sort of fee involved.

Don't know if this has commenced yet 'though...
Old 2 weeks ago
  #466
Gear Nut
 

The answer is obvious , we don`t see any sort of converter until overloud can make money on rig packs ....)
who need overloud packs , instead of thousands and tons kemper packs....already avalible....
Old 2 weeks ago
  #467
Gear Head
 
Massan's Avatar
 

as long as they begin providing the direct or merged profiles, I'm fine with the converter being exclusive to overloud
maybe they could get more quality profile producers onboard later, such as M Britt, The Amp Factory etc
Old 2 weeks ago
  #468
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massan View Post
as long as they begin providing the direct or merged profiles, I'm fine with the converter being exclusive to overloud
maybe they could get more quality profile producers onboard later, such as M Britt, The Amp Factory etc
I agree. I went through hundreds of profiles when I had a Kemper and MBritt and TAF stood out to me, as well as a couple of the free profile exchange ones. I want MBritt’s Fender cleans: his Princeton and hmmm it was a Brownface I think...Vibrolux? Absolutely incredible!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #469
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Whole load of new rigs today.

https://www.slatedigital.com/thu-exp...6530-161928617
Old 2 weeks ago
  #470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I thought we would get them as a slate subscriber. But it was just a sale. Already got the some of the packs.
They are mostly good.
Old 1 week ago
  #471
Gear Head
 
Massan's Avatar
 

those new packs are amazing. still hoping for their "direct" counterparts though.
Steven, could you please update us if its going to happen?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump