The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Overloud TH-U Slate Edition - Amp Rig Captures In The Box & Much More Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 5 days ago
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck View Post
Now, *that* is a decent sounding funk guitar for you? In my book, that's a plastic pop sound.
I'd recommend listening to some Nile Rodgers.
Hi considering the source DI I think it sounds really great and it worked perfectly for the track. But of course tone is subjective. Thanks very much for the comments!

Steven
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi! So you have a compressor and overdrive pedal going into a Vox AC30 (which is already a dirty clean sound) in that preset. Therefore the resulting tone in your example is exactly what I would expect.

Are you looking to get a cleaner tone?

I think the issue is that this preset is in the clean section although it’s not very clean.

Steven
Here's the clip with the input set to hit the green zone and comp and overdrive off. It still sounds pretty dirty:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iY...G_AVpScsacCJH7

Here's one with the input turned down to where it starts to sound jangly (and maybe even a little foxy ) :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o9...yqil2U3p58P_CE

The one set to the correct level still sounds pretty intense to be considered clean to my ear, though I'm willing to accept that I'm just not digging the preset.

Basically I don't want to have to record at super low levels to get a good result, and it seems like hitting a clean/jangly setting around -18/20 should sound a heck of a lot cleaner.

All that being said, I love the way everything sounds when I turn the input way down. And thanks for taking the time to check this out with me today!
Attached Thumbnails
Slate Overloud TH-U Slate Edition - Amp Rig Captures In The Box & Much More-high.jpg   Slate Overloud TH-U Slate Edition - Amp Rig Captures In The Box & Much More-low.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
Note:

I think I've figured it out. It's not so much that it's a dirty preset in the clean category, but a combination of two factors.

First, the presets having the stomp boxes on by default is misleading.

Second, the input level adjustment is just not intuitive or very useful to me.

I mentioned that an input of -18ish was cooking the input of the plugin, but then checked again, and that wasn't my input level.

In order to get my input into the green, my average level is something like -8 dB and clipping like crazy.

When I backed it down about 10 dB, everything started to sound better. The clean presets cleaned up, and the weird saggy compressed overdrive went away.

So to my mind it looks like the input level adjustment function is to blame, and calibrating your input levels to common recording levels, regardless of the meter, is the ticket.

Edit:

This was most obvious on the "Transparent Pushed Tele SC" preset in the clean category.

I loaded it, switched the overdrive off and backed the input down to around -18 RMS and it made a world of difference. The input level is just under the middle of the yellow range on the plugin meter.

I still prefer it even lower than that.

Last edited by coreycoleman; 5 days ago at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Additional example
Old 5 days ago

Glad you are coming to a successful conclusion CoreY! Having said that, as someone who has used and even owns some of the amplifiers in the clean section, I’m finding that their is more authenticity when your DI signal hits the input meter as it suggests.

Backing down the input will clean up the signal, but that’s not necessarily how the amplifiers will sound if you plugged directly into them.

And certainly overdrive pedals prior to the amps will dirty them up even more.

However, despite the fact that it might not be as authentic to the actual hardware amps, backing down the signal and cleaning up the amps still sounds great as you are hearing now!

Edit: it should also be stated that guitar playing is very dynamic and the meter should only be getting hot signals when you are playing the guitar hard.

For instance, the noodling in this video doesn’t read very hot on the meter but if I were to strum hard, it certainly would:

https://youtu.be/oaSeFlFTYHs

Steven
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Glad you are coming to a successful conclusion CoreY! Having said that, as someone who has used and even owns some of the amplifiers in the clean section, I’m finding that their is more authenticity when your DI signal hits the input meter as it suggests.

Backing down the input will clean up the signal, but that’s not necessarily how the amplifiers will sound if you plugged directly into them.

And certainly overdrive pedals prior to the amps will dirty them up even more.

However, despite the fact that it might not be as authentic to the actual hardware amps, backing down the signal and cleaning up the amps still sounds great as you are hearing now!

Edit: it should also be stated that guitar playing is very dynamic and the meter should only be getting hot signals when you are playing the guitar hard.

For instance, the noodling in this video doesn’t read very hot on the meter but if I were to strum hard, it certainly would:

https://youtu.be/oaSeFlFTYHs

Steven
Thanks Steven. I'll definitely be playing around a lot more with this.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Also, and I say this as someone who is a big fan of this sim, consider ignoring all of the presets. I don’t think they do this rig justice by a long shot.

No insult intended to whoever came up with them but I don’t like them at all, almost across the board.

Just plug your guitar in and load up a head and a cab (preferably one of the Ownhammer ones) and treat it like a normal, mic’d amp and you’ll be miles ahead of the included presets in my book.

I gravitate towards the AC30 and the Bassman into the Ownhammer cab that loads first. There can be some pumping/transient shenanigans with that cab IR but you can play around it and it's worth it for the realism.

Last edited by Ragan; 5 days ago at 04:21 AM..
Old 1 day ago

VOTE TO ADD A NEW GUITAR RIG CAPTURE TO OVERLOUD TH-U SLATE EDITION!

Legendary producer Jay Baumgardner mic'd up three of his favorite amps at NRG Recording Studios. Take a listen to the amps in the video, then vote below to choose your favorite tone!

The WINNING tone will be captured and added to Overloud TH-U Slate Edition as a FREE UPDATE!

Listen to all three tones in the video below:

To vote for your FREE Rig Capture, see the poll at our facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/slate.audiophiles

Cheers,
Steven
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search