The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Overloud TH-U Slate Edition - Amp Rig Captures In The Box & Much More
Old 20th May 2019
  #421
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Also, and I say this as someone who is a big fan of this sim, consider ignoring all of the presets. I don’t think they do this rig justice by a long shot.

No insult intended to whoever came up with them but I don’t like them at all, almost across the board.

Just plug your guitar in and load up a head and a cab (preferably one of the Ownhammer ones) and treat it like a normal, mic’d amp and you’ll be miles ahead of the included presets in my book.

I gravitate towards the AC30 and the Bassman into the Ownhammer cab that loads first. There can be some pumping/transient shenanigans with that cab IR but you can play around it and it's worth it for the realism.

Last edited by Ragan; 20th May 2019 at 04:21 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #422
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

VOTE TO ADD A NEW GUITAR RIG CAPTURE TO OVERLOUD TH-U SLATE EDITION!

Legendary producer Jay Baumgardner mic'd up three of his favorite amps at NRG Recording Studios. Take a listen to the amps in the video, then vote below to choose your favorite tone!

The WINNING tone will be captured and added to Overloud TH-U Slate Edition as a FREE UPDATE!

Listen to all three tones in the video below:


To vote for your FREE Rig Capture, see the poll at our facebook group: www.facebook.com/groups/slate.audiophiles

Cheers,
Steven
Old 4 weeks ago
  #423
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Studios View Post
When can we expect the special upgrade offer?
This might be old news, but it was new to me:
https://overloud.com/products/th-u-f...ade-th-u-slate
Old 3 weeks ago
  #424
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

BIG NEWS EVERYTHING BUNDLE MEMBERS!!!!!

Find out the big news and hear TH-U SLATE EDITION vs REAL TUBE AMPS here:

TH-U Rig Player vs REAL TUBE AMPS!


Cheers,
Steven
Old 3 weeks ago
  #425
Lives for gear
 

Ok you got me, this is pretty stunning, they sound indistinguishable to me, impressed.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #426
Lives for gear
 

Gotta agree, these are spot on.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #427
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Thanks guys!!!

I don't think I've ever been so shocked in my career as I was when Overloud sent back those Rig Player files. The first one I compared was the JCM800, and I was sitting in my studio with our marketing director Kyle and our immediate reaction was "this can't be possible".

So guys, I really want you to play with these three new emulations yourselves!!!

http://download.slatedigital.com/thu/THU_1011_Mac.zip

http://download.slatedigital.com/thu/THU_1011_Win.zip

Load up RIG PLAYER from Amps, click on the SLATE folder, and load the three amps and play! Remember to use the GAIN knob on Rig Player to set the proper input level!

Steven
Old 3 weeks ago
  #428
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Thank you, Steven.

Also, and I'm trying very hard not to take any credit here (beer will be accepted LOL), but I see in your email that you've:

"Also included in this update: all TH-U and OwnHammer cabs now load with an SM-57 as the default mic, instead of a 414, which makes dialing in the perfect tone even faster".

... exactly what I suggested a while back. You rock, brother.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #429
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Thank you, Steven.

Also, and I'm trying very hard not to take any credit here (beer will be accepted LOL), but I see in your email that you've:

"Also included in this update: all TH-U and OwnHammer cabs now load with an SM-57 as the default mic, instead of a 414, which makes dialing in the perfect tone even faster".

... exactly what I suggested a while back. You rock, brother.
You should take the credit! It’s a great idea!

Steven
Old 3 weeks ago
  #430
Lives for gear
 
Ragan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
BIG NEWS EVERYTHING BUNDLE MEMBERS!!!!!

Find out the big news and hear TH-U SLATE EDITION vs REAL TUBE AMPS here:

TH-U Rig Player vs REAL TUBE AMPS!


Cheers,
Steven
Wait so what are the answers in the blind back and forth?

Not that it's gonna change anything. I'm sure I'm guessing wrong and they sound incredibly close either way. But I still wanna know...

This is cool, Steven.

When can we expect some mildly overdriven twang for us non-high-gain guys? Get those Overloud brains on an old Princeton pleeeeaaaase.

Edit: Also, just took the three models for a spin...amazing.

Last edited by Ragan; 3 weeks ago at 04:48 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
  #431
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Glad you are coming to a successful conclusion CoreY! Having said that, as someone who has used and even owns some of the amplifiers in the clean section, I’m finding that their is more authenticity when your DI signal hits the input meter as it suggests.

Backing down the input will clean up the signal, but that’s not necessarily how the amplifiers will sound if you plugged directly into them.

And certainly overdrive pedals prior to the amps will dirty them up even more.

However, despite the fact that it might not be as authentic to the actual hardware amps, backing down the signal and cleaning up the amps still sounds great as you are hearing now!

Edit: it should also be stated that guitar playing is very dynamic and the meter should only be getting hot signals when you are playing the guitar hard.

For instance, the noodling in this video doesn’t read very hot on the meter but if I were to strum hard, it certainly would:

https://youtu.be/oaSeFlFTYHs

Steven
Steven... I’m with the other guy on the Meters thing (I think I posted about this when this first dropped, too)... here, if I gain stage so that I’m hitting the plugin where the manual says it wants to be hit it doesn’t sound like what you’re describing at all... it, in fact, sounds like a$$. But, as the gentleman said, pay no attention to the plugin’s meter and just make sure you’re hitting it much lower it sounds great...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #432
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Hi! I would adjust your input level towards sounds like what you want! I tend to find that my loudest peaks hit the “ok” and it sounds great.

Ragan play with the Gain knob of the Champ, you should be able to get a really killer dirty twang!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 3 weeks ago
  #433
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
You should take the credit! It’s a great idea!

Steven
You, Sir, have made my day.

Thank you, Steven!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #434
Gear Head
 

Ha ha. OK. Now I'm convinced.

I'm literally laughing at how good these three new models sound.

I've got my Les Paul going through the Champ. It's ridiculous. For a dirty bluesy small amp thing - it's just about as good as any real amp I've recorded.

It's 3D like no other software modeller I've tried.
It sounds real.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #435
Gear Head
 

I had an Overloud endorsement quite some years back. Hadn’t used it in years. This is sooo good compared to the early days! Amazing progress!

Steven, not to hijack, but earlier in this thread, you said no one ever lost Relab if they had it with a bundle. That’s not true in my case. If I open sessions from years ago, it (Relab) shows up as unauthorized.

With this new amp sim, if the same historical thing happens, and I use this a lot, my mix recall would be shot unless I printed everything all the time (in which case the Kemper is just as easy). I deal with a large number of bands and labels where sometimes mix recall over years is an issue. I’m trying to remember records where I might’ve used your other sim, bc I may have to go in and start printing tracks. Ugh.

I do LOVE the sound of this new plugin.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #436
Here for the gear
 

Steven, these new amps are fantastic, thank you!

In the Rig Player interface, is there any difference between the white top row LEVEL knob and the black bottom row VOLUME knob?

I expected the LEVEL knob to be equivalent to adjusting a fader, and it seems to do that. I expected the VOLUME knob to drive the power tubes harder, like a real tube amp, but if that is happening it is pretty subtle to my ears.

If those two knobs do the same thing, then I won't spend more time trying to find the difference.

This is not a criticism, these models rock, I just want to be sure I have the correct work flow.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #437
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scir81 View Post
Steven, these new amps are fantastic, thank you!

In the Rig Player interface, is there any difference between the white top row LEVEL knob and the black bottom row VOLUME knob?

I expected the LEVEL knob to be equivalent to adjusting a fader, and it seems to do that. I expected the VOLUME knob to drive the power tubes harder, like a real tube amp, but if that is happening it is pretty subtle to my ears.

If those two knobs do the same thing, then I won't spend more time trying to find the difference.

This is not a criticism, these models rock, I just want to be sure I have the correct work flow.
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #438
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital
 
Steven Slate's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKite View Post
Ha ha. OK. Now I'm convinced.

I'm literally laughing at how good these three new models sound.

I've got my Les Paul going through the Champ. It's ridiculous. For a dirty bluesy small amp thing - it's just about as good as any real amp I've recorded.

It's 3D like no other software modeller I've tried.
It sounds real.
Thanks for the great feedback! And I agree! I have the Champ all over my newest song!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithedark View Post
I had an Overloud endorsement quite some years back. Hadn’t used it in years. This is sooo good compared to the early days! Amazing progress!

Steven, not to hijack, but earlier in this thread, you said no one ever lost Relab if they had it with a bundle. That’s not true in my case. If I open sessions from years ago, it (Relab) shows up as unauthorized.

With this new amp sim, if the same historical thing happens, and I use this a lot, my mix recall would be shot unless I printed everything all the time (in which case the Kemper is just as easy). I deal with a large number of bands and labels where sometimes mix recall over years is an issue. I’m trying to remember records where I might’ve used your other sim, bc I may have to go in and start printing tracks. Ugh.

I do LOVE the sound of this new plugin.
Hi, we didn't take away Relab from people who had it in their plans, but we stopped offering it in NEW plans. So if you had it, you just had to stick with that plan and you'd still have the license for it. We still have several thousand people still on that plan. But if you canceled that plan and resigned up, then you wouldn't be able to access it.

The same will not happen with TH-U due to the kind of agreement we have with Overloud. Thanks for the question!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Scir81 View Post
Steven, these new amps are fantastic, thank you!

In the Rig Player interface, is there any difference between the white top row LEVEL knob and the black bottom row VOLUME knob?

I expected the LEVEL knob to be equivalent to adjusting a fader, and it seems to do that. I expected the VOLUME knob to drive the power tubes harder, like a real tube amp, but if that is happening it is pretty subtle to my ears.

If those two knobs do the same thing, then I won't spend more time trying to find the difference.

This is not a criticism, these models rock, I just want to be sure I have the correct work flow.
I'll have to check on this and get back to you!

Steven
Old 3 weeks ago
  #439
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

Can this be bought seperate?

Just everything bundle?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #440
Gear Nut
 
Animalcloset's Avatar
 

So ... is there a clean jcm800 in the Slate TH-U?

Apologies if this has already been asked.
Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
  #441
This sounds like a Marshall. Best I heard so far.

When it comes to aggressive distortion this fat sound mixes very good with a more heavy gained amp.
I tried mixing this with the new STL.
This is a combination I been looking for a long time.
Their distortion is very different from this one.
Love the combination.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #442
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Can this be bought seperate?

Just everything bundle?
So no one can answer this seemingly simple question?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #443
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
So no one can answer this seemingly simple question?
This is included in the rigplayer which is part of the overloud thu. I think you either buy thu or subscribe to the everything bundle.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #444
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
This is included in the rigplayer which is part of the overloud thu. I think you either buy thu or subscribe to the everything bundle.

Ahh ok thanks mattias78 ....will check overloud then.
Old 1 week ago
  #445
Lives for gear
 
mr. torture's Avatar
 

On 6/18/2019 Slate say's "Everything will change"

Anyone care to speculate?
Old 1 week ago
  #446
Gear Guru
Steven becomes Stephanie?
Old 1 week ago
  #447
Lives for gear
 
mr. torture's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Steven becomes Stephanie?
I believe all of his products are transformerless
Old 1 week ago
  #448
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Who knows? You never know with Steven.

Personally I'd like to see the subscription count towards purchasing the plugs you'd like to keep. Oh how I wish Steven would allow this. "Cheap" as the sub is, it's already cost me many hundreds (yearly subs cannot be paused) and I haven't even loaded a single plugin yet (long story, but no audio gear up-and-running yet after decades-long break).

When I first bought into the sub I thought I could pause it at-will, but nooo, not the yearly one.
Old 1 week ago
  #449
Here for the gear
 

I hope no more VMR is the big change but I doubt it
Old 6 days ago
  #450
Here for the gear
 

Not a fan of VMR? All modules?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Steven Slate / Product Alerts older than 2 months
116
106787 / So Much Gear, So Little Time
95
YellowMatter / Product Alerts older than 2 months
30
Jake 2.0 / Product Alerts older than 2 months
14

Forum Jump
Forum Jump