The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Overloud TH-U Slate Edition - Amp Rig Captures In The Box & Much More Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
THE big problem with emulation has been the crunch/mid gain rock sound
This.

High Gain - great
Cleans - good
crunch/mid gain - meh.

Rig Player - fizzy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hi guys! First some good news.. in our next update we have 10 more Rig Player Amps and over 10 new microphones! Should be available soon!

Also, I think there is some misconception about Rig Player. Rig Player doesn't have a "sound", it plays back Rig Captures. When you listen to the Rig Player amps, you are listening to those specific captures.

I personally love some of the Rig Player stock amp captures like the 6505 which I'm recording with right now, and I bet people will love the 10 new Rig Player Amps we're about to offer, but the good news is that we'll keep offering more Rig Player captures so the sound of TH-U is very much limitless. We can also recreate captures from popular Guitar Amp Hardware modelers for Rig Player. Earlier in this thread I posted a comparison of the Rig Player files versus a popular hardware Guitar Amp Modeler, so you can hear how extremely close it is.

Some other important things to consider: Don't underestimate how crucial the cab is to the virtual guitar tone. The stock TH-U cabs are great, but they default to the 414. Most classic distortion and crunch tones use a 57 on a cab, and this makes a world of difference. But of course, the Own Hammer Cabs we offer in the Slate Edition are really incredible and I definitely recommend taking the time to pair different amp heads with the IR Loader.

If you are having trouble, please do not hesitate to fill out a support ticket. We are here to help!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 4 weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maake View Post
in slate edition, there is no 6505 model, which i find the best in almost every amp model/sim i have ever played..
Check Rig Player! There is a 6505 and it's quite possibly my favorite high gain tone I've ever gotten.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi guys! First some good news.. in our next update we have 10 more Rig Player Amps and over 10 new microphones! Should be available soon!

Also, I think there is some misconception about Rig Player. Rig Player doesn't have a "sound", it plays back Rig Captures. When you listen to the Rig Player amps, you are listening to those specific captures.

I personally love some of the Rig Player stock amp captures like the 6505 which I'm recording with right now, and I bet people will love the 10 new Rig Player Amps we're about to offer, but the good news is that we'll keep offering more Rig Player captures so the sound of TH-U is very much limitless. We can also recreate captures from popular Guitar Amp Hardware modelers for Rig Player. Earlier in this thread I posted a comparison of the Rig Player files versus a popular hardware Guitar Amp Modeler, so you can hear how extremely close it is.

Some other important things to consider: Don't underestimate how crucial the cab is to the virtual guitar tone. The stock TH-U cabs are great, but they default to the 414. Most classic distortion and crunch tones use a 57 on a cab, and this makes a world of difference. But of course, the Own Hammer Cabs we offer in the Slate Edition are really incredible and I definitely recommend taking the time to pair different amp heads with the IR Loader.

If you are having trouble, please do not hesitate to fill out a support ticket. We are here to help!

Cheers,
Steven
Steven.

Are the Ownhammer cabs something different than what's in the TH-U plug when you open it? Are they the cabs below the heads and above the pedals or are they other IRs that need to be loaded in?
Old 4 weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Steven.

Are the Ownhammer cabs something different than what's in the TH-U plug when you open it? Are they the cabs below the heads and above the pedals or are they other IRs that need to be loaded in?
Hi Ragan! You would go under cabinets and select IR Loader. Those will allow you to choose the own hammer cabinets. Let me know if that works for you!

Steven
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am seriously impressed with this thing. I just found the amp tweaks section.

I would expect the tube and diode swaps and things to really just sound like little filters and EQ tweaks. They do not. Really all of the parameters on this thing react like I expect them to, sonically, as a guy who's used to amps.

It takes some coaxing but I'm getting some really nice tones out of this. Better than I think I've experience with any sim. The parallel routing thing is also really cool. Putting it in front of and after the head (before the cab) lets you do some really cool things with phase and grit.

Count me a fan.

I just wish my rig could handle the extremely low buffers it takes to make this feel good to play.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I am seriously impressed with this thing. I just found the amp tweaks section.

I would expect the tube and diode swaps and things to really just sound like little filters and EQ tweaks. They do not. Really all of the parameters on this thing react like I expect them to, sonically, as a guy who's used to amps.

It takes some coaxing but I'm getting some really nice tones out of this. Better than I think I've experience with any sim. The parallel routing thing is also really cool. Putting it in front of and after the head (before the cab) lets you do some really cool things with phase and grit.

Count me a fan.

I just wish my rig could handle the extremely low buffers it takes to make this feel good to play.
Yes the tubeswapping impressed me.
Hope anyone who gets a good crunchy punkrock tone can give a little advice. Higains is good. good bassthump on this thing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Yes the tubeswapping impressed me.
Hope anyone who gets a good crunchy punkrock tone can give a little advice. Higains is good. good bassthump on this thing.
I don't really do any high gain stuff. It's all just broken-up amp/overdriven. I've mostly been playing the Vox, the Bassman and the 64 Marshall through either the Vox cab or the "Slate" cab with one of the IRs.

Tweaking the knobs and moving the mics around just like I do on a real amp.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hope you are going to address the crashing issue with your Slate IR cab.
Old 4 weeks ago

Hi guys, we just got a new build that we are testing. It should fix the crashing issue reported, it adds 10 new Rig Player Amps, and it adds all the microphones in.

I'll say again, the cab is a huge part of the tone, and the default TH-U Cab mic is the 414.. I resaved all the amp/cab combos with 57s because it just sounds more like a guitar tone to me. On some of the amps I add in the 121. I personally never liked 414s on cabs, too fizzy. But having said that, most of my goto presets are using one of the 15 Own Hammer cabs because those are ridiculous.

The Amp Tweak thing is the real deal. You can do some killer custom mods to taste. I didn't really dive into as much in beta but I'm all over it now.

Hopefully the new update will be out today or tomorrow. Thanks again for the comments!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Has there been any word on the user submission feature for rig profiles?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Me again... am I the only one who doesn’t have a license deposited in their ilok account? Plugin is working fine...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Have you tried stopping the ilok cloud service and then restarting it? This did it for me.

It appears in the main Slate Everything Bundle iLok bundle thing.. not as a separate thing like Liquidsonics Plate did.
Old 4 weeks ago

New TH-U Update with 10 More Amps 15 More Mics

Hey Everything Bundle Users! So are you loving the new TH-U Slate Edition guitar amp suite? Well then we have some great news, because you’re going to love it even more with the update we just posted which you can download right now from here: Installers - SlateDigital
(note, you must download the new version from this link, it is not yet updated in Gobbler)

We realized yesterday after release that a bug was causing 10 of the Rig Player Amps to be inaccessible and 15 of the cabinet microphone choices to also be inaccessible! This has been fixed in this latest update, along with some crash bugs that were reported. Quick enough for ya?

Also, here are some reminder notes on using TH-U:

1. The Cab choice and options is EXTREMELY important to the tone! When you load up the amp and recommended cab, it defaults with the 414 microphone. Try clicking the mic and swapping with the 57 for a more classic tone! You can even add a second mic, like the famous 121! Play with the positioning, as with a real cabinet, every little move around the cabinet makes a major sonic impact!

2. Speaking of Cabs, you owe it to yourself to try the 15 OwnHammer cabs that come with TH-U Slate Edition! These are some of the best cab impulses out there! Just go to the cabinet selection on the right side of the plugin and choose “Slate Cabinet IR”, then choose an OwnHammer cab of your liking!

3. Make sure you play with the input level going into the amp models. This is VERY important, and although there are guidelines in the input level section on the to left, use your ears to find the sweet spot!

So enjoy your new Amp, Cabinet, and FX collection, and make sure to check out the Slate Audiophiles Group where we are about to launch a preset competition! Slate Audiophiles public group | Facebook

Happy Guitar Playing!

Steven Slate
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have to say I'm really stoked on all the latest additions to the everything bundle (plates, gates and now TH-U). It's been a good couple of weeks, thanks Steven!

My only frustration with TH-U is that I find the UI a bit hard to navigate. It shows up pretty small on my screen forcing me to constantly zoom in and out to modify either my rig or the settings on a piece of gear (especially when you have both side tabs open)… It's a bummer the window size isn't adjustable, would have loved to have a full screen option
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLTim View Post
I have to say I'm really stoked on all the latest additions to the everything bundle (plates, gates and now TH-U). It's been a good couple of weeks, thanks Steven!

My only frustration with TH-U is that I find the UI a bit hard to navigate. It shows up pretty small on my screen forcing me to constantly zoom in and out to modify either my rig or the settings on a piece of gear (especially when you have both side tabs open)… It's a bummer the window size isn't adjustable, would have loved to have a full screen option
Window size is adjustable for me. And there are zoom options (in percentages) top center.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Window size is adjustable for me. And there are zoom options (in percentages) top center.
Wow weird, I saw the zoom percentages but I couldn't seem to adjust the window size in itself, maybe I overlooked something… Will definitely give it another spin tomorrow!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLTim View Post
Wow weird, I saw the zoom percentages but I couldn't seem to adjust the window size in itself, maybe I overlooked something… Will definitely give it another spin tomorrow!
For me you just grab the bottom right corner and expand it. Hope it works for you too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Steven, would you consider making the 57 the default mic?

It would make sense not only because it'd reflect most real-life situations, but also because it'd save an "extra", unnecessary step when auditioning.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Steven, would you consider making the 57 the default mic?

It would make sense not only because it'd reflect most real-life situations, but also because it'd save an "extra", unnecessary step when auditioning.
This would be good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Have you tried stopping the ilok cloud service and then restarting it? This did it for me.

It appears in the main Slate Everything Bundle iLok bundle thing.. not as a separate thing like Liquidsonics Plate did.
Hmm... thx! I shall do this and check.. it must be there somewhere otherwise the thing wouldn’t be working I suppose... but, I’m sexy and big, not smart
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
New TH-U Update with 10 More Amps 15 More Mics

Hey Everything Bundle Users! So are you loving the new TH-U Slate Edition guitar amp suite? Well then we have some great news, because you’re going to love it even more with the update we just posted which you can download right now from here: Installers - SlateDigital
(note, you must download the new version from this link, it is not yet updated in Gobbler)

We realized yesterday after release that a bug was causing 10 of the Rig Player Amps to be inaccessible and 15 of the cabinet microphone choices to also be inaccessible! This has been fixed in this latest update, along with some crash bugs that were reported. Quick enough for ya?

Also, here are some reminder notes on using TH-U:

1. The Cab choice and options is EXTREMELY important to the tone! When you load up the amp and recommended cab, it defaults with the 414 microphone. Try clicking the mic and swapping with the 57 for a more classic tone! You can even add a second mic, like the famous 121! Play with the positioning, as with a real cabinet, every little move around the cabinet makes a major sonic impact!

2. Speaking of Cabs, you owe it to yourself to try the 15 OwnHammer cabs that come with TH-U Slate Edition! These are some of the best cab impulses out there! Just go to the cabinet selection on the right side of the plugin and choose “Slate Cabinet IR”, then choose an OwnHammer cab of your liking!

3. Make sure you play with the input level going into the amp models. This is VERY important, and although there are guidelines in the input level section on the to left, use your ears to find the sweet spot!

So enjoy your new Amp, Cabinet, and FX collection, and make sure to check out the Slate Audiophiles Group where we are about to launch a preset competition! Slate Audiophiles public group | Facebook

Happy Guitar Playing!

Steven Slate
So... What's up with the new build having a bunch of what I would assume are new bugs?

The first version. 1.0.6 The one that would crash when you were using the slate IR cab and attempting to change any of the properties (mics/ambiance/etc.) had a small group of presets that used amps with matching cabs (for the most part).

The new version 1.0.8 does not crash when you attempt to edit any of the Slate IR cab properties, but I feel that's because you can no longer access the properties. If you right click and select properties, you get the same result as when you double click on the cab. It takes you to the IR popup.

So you can't access all those great new mics. And they are there. They are available with the normal cabs and they sound okay.

Unfortunately, in the new build, all the presets come with the Slate IR Cab, instead of the matching cabs, that I remember Steven mentioning you should make sure to use.

The only way you can access the properties is to start from scratch. If you start with a blank slate and load up an amp, in most cases it gives you the option to have a matching cab load with it. And you can access the mics and things that aren't available with the Slate IR cab.

I mentioned this and was told I must not have installed the new and improved build. But I have. And it's not.

Seems like this product was over hyped and then released too soon.

Hopefully, tomorrows update will sort this out.
Old 4 weeks ago

Hi this is not a bug. The slate IR cab loads the Own hammer cabinets which do not have mic options, they all come preset with the microphone and positioning that sounds best.

Only the stock TH-U Cabs have the options to position and swap microphones.

Both are great choices, it’s up to you to choose which route to go. I like both depending on the sound I’m going for.

Steven
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi this is not a bug. The slate IR cab loads the Own hammer cabinets which do not have mic options, they all come preset with the microphone and positioning that sounds best.

Both are great choices, it’s up to you to choose which route to go. I like both depending on the sound I’m going for.

Steven
Thx for clarifying... I thought I had taken crazy pills trying to find mics to move around
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is it a bug or a feature that once you set up the parallel chain thing, around say a cab, you can't move or disable the splitter or mixer?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Steven
So you are saying that someone screwed up when they used the Slate IR cab(instead of the matching cabs) on ALL of the presets in the last update?

I thought that was quite strange.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Thx for clarifying... I thought I had taken crazy pills trying to find mics to move around
Yeah. Steven needs to hire an someone with experience in copy writing. There is so much misinformation around this release. Like the claim that there are "over 30 amp models" plus the rig player. makes it sound like the rig player is separate from the amp models, when in fact, a third of the models are in the rig player.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hi, I have the full THU (non slate) and the slate everything bundle. Is there anything additive to in the slate version not in the overloud full version? And if so, do any additive presets or impluses show up in the non slate version after being installed? Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Does the full version have a standalone player a la many other VIs?

I’d so love to be able to play this thing for real, without the performance-killing latency of the DAW.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontano View Post
Hi, I have the full THU (non slate) and the slate everything bundle. Is there anything additive to in the slate version not in the overloud full version? And if so, do any additive presets or impluses show up in the non slate version after being installed? Thanks.
I'd be worried about it messing up your full version!. Seriously. The original version they put out had a bug that crashed it when you tried to access any properties on the Slate IR cab. Steven recently (see above) said that was because you're not supposed to be able to access the mics with the Slate IR.

So they fixed that, but now all the presets have Slate IR cabs instead of the matching cabs, so you can't play with the mics and other properties unless you load a normal cab.

This is a super light version. i think it was designed with the idea of pushing people to buy the full version. Since you have the full version, the only thing missing is a handful of IRs. But you can't load any irs into the Slate version aside from that handful. All in all. It's a pale comparison to Sgear.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search