The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Overloud announces TH-U
Old 17th February 2019
B_M
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
Beat me to the punch I was just working on this. Thanks for posting.
One thing though, for example the Brunetti r-evo xlead. This needed a change in the poweramp to 6v6 to create an essentially equal amp to TH3 version. But, I still didn't get a complete null. There is some differences in the dynamics as the LRA and peaks are not quite the same with LUFS or rms matched. It's not a huge difference but it's different.

check out the audio
I redid the R-Evo XLead test, and got silence again. But I downloaded the files you attached and I think I know what the problem is. On the channel where the phase is inverted I think you've inverted it before it goes into the plugin. Since the distortion in this case is asymmetrical you get a very different result than if you flip the phase after it has been through the plugin. I managed to get a very similar sound to "th3 1+thu(6v6) r-evo xlead-24b" by moving my phase inverter plugin from after TH-U to before it.
So try flipping the phase after the amp instead and see what you end up with
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_M View Post
I redid the R-Evo XLead test, and got silence again. But I downloaded the files you attached and I think I know what the problem is. On the channel where the phase is inverted I think you've inverted it before it goes into the plugin. Since the distortion in this case is asymmetrical you get a very different result than if you flip the phase after it has been through the plugin. I managed to get a very similar sound to "th3 1+thu(6v6) r-evo xlead-24b" by moving my phase inverter plugin from after TH-U to before it.
So try flipping the phase after the amp instead and see what you end up with
Thanks man, definitely good line of thinking here. For sure it's a different result, and in that test session I had the rendered files imported as well. At that moment it was very easy to flip it and it would be considered post flip but ultimately still get some residuals, which is interesting.
Old 17th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Just got done messing with the demo and again I'm reminded how much better Overloud has done versus the competition regarding in the box amp sims. I sold TH-3 when I got an Axe FX II awhile back but have since sold the Axe FX II. Compared to Helix Native and Bias, TH-U is better in my opinion. Not only in the sound department, in the interface and routing capabilities.

Also, why is it that only Overloud has given us a good IR browser built in. With BIAS you have to import IRs and then make in amp in BIAS 2, then import that amp with the IR into BIAS FX. You can not change the cab in BIAS FX though and it really sucks. Helix Native sucks in this department too, same deal, import the IRs. Also the file names get shrunk but not in TH-U.

As far as features and sound I believe this is the best in the box amp sim out there. TH-3 was also better than the other in my opinion. Really dig the 5150 model for metal tones and the Marshall 22.10 which I think is some kind of JCM 800 model for lead tones. To me, even Amplitube Marshall amps are not as good as the 22.10 model in TH-U paired with the GT-75 speakers.

Also, as a customer, I appreciate the lack of nickle and diming Overloud is doing here. I think TH-3 was released in 2015 and they gave a very good upgrade price (that people probably still complain about). I think Amplitube is the worst in this department with the custom shop.
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymanx View Post
Also, as a customer, I appreciate the lack of nickle and diming Overloud is doing here. I think TH-3 was released in 2015 and they gave a very good upgrade price (that people probably still complain about). I think Amplitube is the worst in this department with the custom shop.
I agree 100% Amplitube is horrible at that followed closely by BiasFX.

While some may argue that the Rig Expansions are nickel and diming, I would disagree. I don't play professionally or gig regularly anymore so I would never be able to justify a Kemper, and I would think many in my shoes would feel the same. But if they continue to expand the profile offerings I think a lot of folks would jump on those. Many people, myself included drop a few bucks here and there on midi packs and expansions for other VSTs, so why not take your guitar sound to that next level and pick up some profiles of your favorite amps? Seems like a good marketing plan to me.

The initial offering British Classics has some models that are a bit obscure, but I like that I now have the choice of a Laney or Victory instead of another bank of the usual suspects (Marshalls, Fenders or Mesa).

I really like TH-U and I hope they enjoy a lot of success with it (as long as they stay humble and don’t turn into dicks like PG :P ).
Old 19th February 2019
Here for the gear

TH-3/U Multi-Channel Amps ?

Not sure I am in the right place but I am moving (maybe) back from amplitube to TH-U (because of automation ease in Studio One 4) and I see that many amps are "preset" to tone with suffixes such as e.g. clean, bright, rhythm, power, ch1, ch2, ch3, etc. But in other sims those channels are all part of one amp and one can automate switching channels (like you would do live with a footswitch or directly pushing a button on the amp).

I know there is a splitter routing but that leaves you with only two channels (i.e. two amp heads). Haven't tried multiple splitters (?).

What do you guys do in TH-3/U to get that multi-channel action?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear

Is the new TH-U AMP content the same level as recent Amplitube expansions? Mesa, Fender 2, Slash, Dimebag
Old 20th February 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Is the new TH-U AMP content the same level as recent Amplitube expansions? Mesa, Fender 2, Slash, Dimebag
Are you speaking of quantity or quality? TH-U Full has like about 75 models plus the Rig Player. Granted, many of the models are the same amp but different channel etc.

They have official models of Randal, DV Mark, and Brunetti, and have models of Fender, Marshall, Vox, Roland JC etc.

As far as quality, I'm biased. I own but don't really care for Amplitube, so I can't objectively speak to how they compare sonically.
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJB1965 View Post
Are you speaking of quantity or quality? TH-U Full has like about 75 models plus the Rig Player. Granted, many of the models are the same amp but different channel etc.

They have official models of Randal, DV Mark, and Brunetti, and have models of Fender, Marshall, Vox, Roland JC etc.

As far as quality, I'm biased. I own but don't really care for Amplitube, so I can't objectively speak to how they compare sonically.
Quality. The more recent Amplitube expansions are much improved over their earlier expansions.
Old 20th February 2019
Here for the gear

1.0.0 -> 1.0.2
--------------
- Looper: added possibility to save the tracks to audio file
- Cabinet IR: added support for short IRs in WAV format which could lead to a crash
- Fixed a hang at startup that could happen under certain circumstances
- Fixed: effects now regain full opacity after being dragged
- Fixed: dragging a ZIP file that contains only a bank of presets now does not trigger the "Rig Model Library Installed" dialog window.
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Quality. The more recent Amplitube expansions are much improved over their earlier expansions.
I didn't spend much time with them, but first impressions of the modeled amps didn't leave me very impressed. BUT, I quite liked the Rig Player profiles. Ended up picking up one of cut down packages and bought the British Collection for Rig Player. Was very happy with that!
Old 21st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Download the 15-day demo from Overloud’s
website and hear for yourself:
Home | Overloud

My take..all things considered, to my ears, TH-U
and Amplitube4’s latest expansions are
sonically about the same. Both really good.
For me I prefer Amplitube’s interface
because it is simpler..and it looks just like
the emulated amps, so I am familiar with
the controls already. TH-U’s amp images
dont look that realistic, and swapping
cabs, mics, and effects is not as intuitive.

Bottom line is, no matter which amp sim
you go with, you have to work at getting
the tones you want. Its not just plug and
play. Just like it is with real amps..you
cant just plug in your guitar and get instant
awesome tone.
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I didn't spend much time with them, but first impressions of the modeled amps didn't leave me very impressed. BUT, I quite liked the Rig Player profiles. Ended up picking up one of cut down packages and bought the British Collection for Rig Player. Was very happy with that!
Did you like Marshall Golub from British Classics? I'm thinking of buying TH-U Rock + British Classics just because of this amp.

Cheers!
Old 28th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmanoel View Post
Did you like Marshall Golub from British Classics? I'm thinking of buying TH-U Rock + British Classics just because of this amp.

Cheers!
Curious about this as well. Also I’m assuming you have to buy some flavor of TH-U to use the British classics? Is it even possible to demo the British classics pack?
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

What AMPS are the new models based on?
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGK_Dude View Post
Curious about this as well. Also I’m assuming you have to buy some flavor of TH-U to use the British classics? Is it even possible to demo the British classics pack?
Yes, it is necessary to have at least some version of TH-U.

And no, it is not possible to test British Classics. Too bad, because being so I gave up buying.

I already own the Line 6 Helix, and investing money in something without knowing if I like it or not, is not an option, I stopped with these crazy things,

Listening to the demos, I did not like it so much, I would need to hear some cool recordings.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
What AMPS are the new models based on?
I would also like to know this...

I did not find anything detailed on the site. I must admit that it pisses me off, not knowing exactly what is available. I feel the same way with those "under the hood" plugins from Waves.

The idea of Rig Player seems to be very good, but it is not yet possible to know the real potential... Not to mention that some available amps are pure joke.

Not wanting to sound mean, but that's my opinion.
Old 1st March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmanoel View Post
I would also like to know this...

I did not find anything detailed on the site. I must admit that it pisses me off, not knowing exactly what is available. I feel the same way with those "under the hood" plugins from Waves.
Yeah, it's a bummer indeed, but at least inside the plug-in the tooltip tells you the original amp name...which is kind of a workflow killer until you memorize all the corresponding names.
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
You certainly can't expect them to offer it for free to all owners of TH3, that's just poor business.
Really? What makes one group of TH3 owners so much more valued than the other group of TH3 owners? I mean didnt we ALL buy TH3? Im just trying to figure out why long standing supporters of TH3 are being penalized.
Old 31st March 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by producer 7 View Post
Really? What makes one group of TH3 owners so much more valued than the other group of TH3 owners? I mean didnt we ALL buy TH3? Im just trying to figure out why long standing supporters of TH3 are being penalized.
??? You aren't being penalized. As a registered owner of TH3 you get a discounted upgrade price to THU vs what someone pays who has never owned the product. Overloud offered a very limited grace period for those who JUST purchased TH3. They have to draw the line somewhere. Should it have been a month instead of a week? I don't know, but it's their right to choose how long that period is. Many companies offer no grace period at all.

Overloud put R&D and coding hours into the THU product. You can't expect them to just give that away when they only offer it as a perpetual license. They would not be able to stay in business that way.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
As a registered owner of TH3 you get a discounted upgrade price to THU
Well no kidding.... but dont act like theyre doing me some kind of favor or something. It wouldnt work for most people any other way.

Quote:
You can't expect them to just give that away when they only offer it as a perpetual license. They would not be able to stay in business that way
Those are your words not mine...Im only questioning why early adopters are getting preferential treatment. You obviously dont get it. It would probably make more sense to somebody that has come up through the ranks owning TH2, TH3, and Breverb and supported overloud for a few years, as opposed to somebody who just hopped on the TH3 bus and got a free upgrade.

Its a fair question and youve commented multiple times either not understanding or not knowing the answer. Its not a help.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by producer 7 View Post
Well no kidding.... but dont act like theyre doing me some kind of favor or something. It wouldnt work for most people any other way.

Those are your words not mine...Im only questioning why early adopters are getting preferential treatment. You obviously dont get it. It would probably make more sense to somebody that has come up through the ranks owning TH2, TH3, and Breverb and supported overloud for a few years, as opposed to somebody who just hopped on the TH3 bus and got a free upgrade.

Its a fair question and youve commented multiple times either not understanding or not knowing the answer. Its not a help.
Maybe you are right, I don't understand what you are upset about. The deal from Overloud was, if you purchased TH3 within a a week of THU launch, you got the update to THU for free. If you were an early adopter, you could buy or upgrade at a discounted rate vs the street price that went into effect after the promotional period. All I see from your posts is someone who was upset at the pricing model. Neither of these practices seem unfair to me so I'm not even sure what 'help' you were looking for. And FYI I've been an Overloud user for some time from back in the Cakewalk days. I didn't just jump on the bandwagon.

At the end of the day, opinions differ and that's what forums are all about.
Old 7th April 2019
Gear Head

I got a car for all these years. Why the manufacturer doesn't give me it's newer model for my loyalty...
Old 9th April 2019
Here for the gear

I think it is important for comparison to leave the setup running, go have sex and then listen again.
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear

I emailed the Overloud staff and asked what the 1973 Golub mod was. It's the Dookie mod.

Sensational sound, but it is necessary to increase the definition option in Rig Player. I ended up buying just because of this amp.
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

Been stretching the legs on this today. Good job.
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

The Famous songs presets are dialed in quite nicely.

Hell yeah Sunday Fun with SD3 and some of these presets. Outstanding.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search