The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Announces The RAVEN MTZ Large Format Multi-Touch Production Console Control Surfaces
Old 24th January 2019
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Slate Announces The RAVEN MTZ Large Format Multi-Touch Production Console

TEASER VIDEO: YouTube

INTRODUCING THE RAVEN MTZ

Over the past three decades, the entire recording studio ecosystem has shifted from a tactile analog environment to a virtual digital environment which rests upon a computer screen.

In 2012, Slate Media Technology realized that in order to get the most immersive studio workflow, no better solution existed than to turn the screen into a world-class control surface. So they created the RAVEN, a multi-touch monitor that integrates seamlessly with digital audio workstation software.

RAVENs are now found in top studios around the globe, including those of Snoop, Will.i.am, Steve Aoki, Mark Needham, Dolly Parton, and many more. The original large format RAVEN, the MTX, had a price tag of $16,000.

Now at NAMM 2019, Slate Media Technology is proud to announce the next evolution of the large format professional RAVEN Series, the RAVEN MTZ - available for order at just $2,999!

The MTZ boasts a 43” projective capacitance no-bezel panel with TEN ultra-accurate multi-touch points. With a depth of only 1.5”, the MTZ is sleek, ergonomic, and the ultimate solution for the modern professional studio.

Slate are proud to announce that the first RAVEN MTZ will be installed in the world-famous NRG Recording Studios Mix Room C, where it will replace an older large format analog console.

The MTZ will have multiple desk options made by top manufacturers such as Zaor, Argosy, Sterling Modular, and more.

Contact your dealer for more information.

Find A Dealer - Slate Media Technology

Product Page: RAVEN MTZ - Slate Media Technology
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
You beauty!!!!!
Old 24th January 2019
I knew there'd be some Raven news today, but I wasn't expecting anything as huge as this. Not to mention that price point is insane!
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac
excellent
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelTheSuperior View Post
I knew there'd be some Raven news today, but I wasn't expecting anything as huge as this. Not to mention that price point is insane!
Not exactly insane, a 43" touch monitor costs about half of that. So a higher price would be insane.

But it's nice to see the larger slate models coming down in price.
Still quite a hefty Slate premium, but it's not insane.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Gorilla arm enhancer/Hunchback evolver V2.0.

Why people like bending their necks down at that angle and holding their hands up at that angle is beyond me.

Physical controllers (I.E Icon D-Command, S6 and other mid/large format) have all the ergonomics and none of the BS. Even better you can mix eyes off and every control is where you left it.

Still, I guess he has to mark up those cheap panels in a fancy package to pay for all those identical black sweatshirts.
Old 24th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneKontrol View Post

Why people like bending their necks down at that angle and holding their hands up at that angle is beyond me.

Physical controllers (I.E Icon D-Command, S6 and other mid/large format) have all the ergonomics and none of the BS. Even better you can mix eyes off and every control is where you left it.

Still, I guess he has to mark up those cheap panels in a fancy package to pay for all those identical black sweatshirts.
Don't get me wrong - the ergonomics aren't perfect, but in my opinion, if you're primarily working ITB the Raven is probably the best control surface out there.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Remember that you are not just buying the touchscreen -- you are also buying the overlay software that makes it work with the DAW.

I agree on the angle -- I hope there is an option to adjust the angle to something in the 15-25 degree range (more like a real console) instead of 40 degrees.

Nice work on getting a more reasonably-priced large-format Raven to the market.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

I actually prefer it around 40-45º.
Only for fading would I prefer a shallower angle.

But bear in mind, be ye doubters, that you don't need to tilt your head down to look at something.
Your eyes can look down without using your neck.
Correct setup = no neck problems. I've been using a 27" at 40º for years and no neck problems after I made some adjustments.
Just like with a laptop, avoid using your neck to look down, use your eyes. It really is as simple as that people.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head

No word about resolution. Is this going to be 4K?
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

nah doubt it, probably just 1080p.

4k touch screens are very pricey at that size and you'd need to scale it to be useable with touch. Would definitely look nicer on a big screen, that's for sure.
Old 24th January 2019

Quote:

Hi! Thanks for the comments! Actually, the typical flat 15-20 degree console is ergonomically inferior to a classic 40 degree angle drafting style desk. Don't take my word for it.. this has been said by top ergonomics professionals. This is also obvious to any pro mixer who has done a session for over a few hours! Neck and back massage anyone?

Oh, and any acoustics professional will warn you that at 15-20 degree angle, you will have horrible comb filtering whereas speakers behind a 40 degree angle makes the panel acoustically transparent. That was one of the biggest "aha" moments when we demo'd the full MTZ desk at NRG Recording Studios.

Now regarding workflow between the RAVEN and typical hardware consoles, well I'm biased here but there is no comparison of course!

I'm gonna post a new RAVEN workflow video later that is gonna certainly turn some heads!

See you at NAMM guys!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 24th January 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneage View Post
Great question!

A lot of peoples' frame of reference for LED Displays is a TV, which is used for entertainment. And in the world of entertainment, resolution is key. Watching movies in 4k is a blast!

But for the intended purpose of RAVEN, the key is not seeing the spec of dust on Bradley Cooper's forehead, but instead, the purpose is large, clear, touchable elements. And at 1080, the RAVEN features large touchable elements including faders, buttons, plugins (which on the MTZ are literally the size of outboard gear), knobs, and DAW buttons.

The MTZ's color and contrast are extremely high quality and it looks great.

For more screen real estate, a secondary monitor can be used at either side with ease, and several desk manufacturers are already making MTZ desks with VESA arms on the sides for small monitors.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneage View Post
Won't ever happen until the DAW vendors start re-designing their GUI's to support touch at 4k -- i.e. the touchable objects still need to be a size that matches your finger.

Yeah.... your finger is constantly the same size, unlike the icon that is your mouse cursor.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Actually, the typical flat 15-20 degree console is ergonomically inferior to a classic 40 degree angle drafting style desk.
Steve --

I have worked in drafting and design work since the early 70's, where the common "classic" drafting desk was more like 15-20 degrees, but there was some adjustability.

There were, however, some advanced desks that had extreme angle capability.

I think the main point in my earlier post was it would nice if the MTZ angle could adjusted to suit the individual's preference.

Is that possible?

Last edited by brucerothwell; 24th January 2019 at 08:20 PM..
Old 24th January 2019
I think.We Want This . Awesome Releases Steven.

KP
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
Not exactly insane, a 43" touch monitor costs about half of that. So a higher price would be insane.

But it's nice to see the larger slate models coming down in price.
Still quite a hefty Slate premium, but it's not insane.
It’s a 43” projective capacitance touchscreen, the only ones I can find prices on are $2200+, so it’s not a bad price. I’ve never used a PCap screen that large, definitely want to give it a try.

Sorry if this has been answered but is the angle adjustable?
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

The 43" ELO pcap one is €1.5k here.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
It’s a 43” projective capacitance touchscreen, the only ones I can find prices on are $2200+, so it’s not a bad price.
I agree that the cost of a large pcap display vs the one in the MTZ may be fairly comparable.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 43" ELO pcap one is €1.5k here.
That’s the one I was looking at, it’s $2170 at Newegg, a little less from online discounters.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Regarding the angle, as long as the screen has a VESA mount available then I could make it work. I already made a tabletop stand for my 46” touchscreen.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

could be that prices vary per region. Whatever. Over here the Slate will probably be up to double of the ELO, it may be a lot less in the US.

BTW, I have my 27" on an Ergotron Sit Stand HD arm. Pretty sweet.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Regarding the angle, as long as the screen has a VESA mount available then I could make it work. I already made a tabletop stand for my 46” touchscreen.
Good point! Don't have to solely rely on the included stand.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
could be that prices vary per region. Whatever. Over here the Slate will probably be up to double of the ELO, it may be a lot less in the US.

BTW, I have my 27" on an Ergotron Sit Stand HD arm. Pretty sweet.
Nice, I love the idea of putting the screen on an arm so you can freely adjust it.

27” just isn’t big enough for me, but I do prefer the feel of my Acer 27” (pcap) to my PQ Labs 46” (IR). It’s much easier to mis-trigger touches on the IR screens.

I wonder which screen Slate is using, 1.5” thickness is impressively thin, over an inch thinner than the ELO.
Old 24th January 2019

Hi guys, there is some adjustment in the stand. However, if you go beyond 40 degrees, you risk neck and back pain and more importantly, horrible comb filtering from your speakers.

Hopefully some of you can stop by the show to check it out in person!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

I'm sure that Ergotron could cary a screen much heavier than my 27". I seem to remember it was capable of quite a few more KGs.
27" is fine with me. I don't feel the need for a larger one, if anything I would like a ultra-wide slab that lines up with my 27" horizontally that I could have at a lower angle for the faders, macros, navigation, keyboard etc. But they are a bit slow to come to the market. that'd be cool, classic console setup with touch screens.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Steven one question. Why didn’t you decide for 1080 high res? I mean isn’t the standard 1080 resolution rather blurry nowadays while a 4K panel allows to set 1080 at double density?

Don’t get me wrong I’m seriously considering that panel but would need to demo it first.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
It’s a 43” projective capacitance touchscreen, the only ones I can find prices on are $2200+, so it’s not a bad price. I’ve never used a PCap screen that large, definitely want to give it a try.

Sorry if this has been answered but is the angle adjustable?
I believe the stand is at a fixed 40 degree angle. Suits me fine as that is the angle I use for my RAVEN’s. It seems the ideal and optimised angle when speaking to fellow RAVEN users. The MTi 2 can be adjusted to any angle but most users I know have it set at 40 degrees.

I think the MTZ is very good value. RAVEN 4.0 will be released soon too.

I’m getting one!
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambosun View Post
Steven one question. Why didn’t you decide for 1080 high res? I mean isn’t the standard 1080 resolution rather blurry nowadays while a 4K panel allows to set 1080 at double density?

Don’t get me wrong I’m seriously considering that panel but would need to demo it first.
You should definitely demo one. Only then you’ll fully understand why the resolution is 1080p and appreciate the resolution. It’s not grainy at all.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Already answered. Touch screens are 1080p to have everything large enough to touch.

Although, honestly I can get that on a 27" 4k touch would be too small but on a 43" I reckon I could just about get on with 4k touch.
Still, they don't make a lot of 4k touch screens yet and they are considerably more pricey and usually start around 55" and up.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search