The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Announces The RAVEN MTZ Large Format Multi-Touch Production Console Control Surfaces
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagician View Post
I’ve always preferred the Raven (used to have two 27”) at a much flatter angle then how the standard Raven desk is configured. A huge piece of glass directly in my face is not great for listening and weirdly makes me feel a bit claustrophobic.
Interesting. I started out putting my 27” quite flat but I soon realised that’s not great for my neck. I suppose you can train yourself to keep your head level and use your eyes but still...
I ended up raising the screen (and the desk I built) a little and settled at what I guess is a 40-50° angle. I find this most ergonomic for most things I do, only for the faders do I think a flatter angle is better suited.
The thing is, the faders aren’t actually that important to me. Editing, macros, plugin control is much more important to me and I feel most of those, especially editing and plugin control is better at the steeper angle.

I’d be interested in a super ultra wide touchscreen slab to sit underneath my 27”, at a shallower angle to take the place of the faders, keyboard and navpad. But since a thing does not exist, I’m fine with what I have.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
The thing is, the faders aren’t actually that important to me. Editing, macros, plugin control is much more important to me and I feel most of those, especially editing and plugin control is better at the steeper angle.
I use the touchscreen in combination with the Nob to control plugins (works amazing) macros and faders all work great at the lower angle for me (hard to see in the picture but around 30-35 degrees). I feel like it reduces reflections off the glass and I can still see all the screen well as well as reach all of it. It likely helps that the screen is about 10” off the front of the desk. Having said all that YMMV.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
I find 40 degrees to be the optimal angle for me. I tried the MTi at a lower angle and just couldn't get on with it.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ve always preferred the Raven (used to have two 27”) at a much flatter angle then how the standard Raven desk is configured. A huge piece of glass directly in my face is not great for listening...
I was thinking the same thing, but Steven Slate commented earlier that they determined that the flatter angles cause issues with audio reflections off the glass.

Not sure that is any different than audio reflections off a console that is set more horizontal than 40 degrees that the Raven is recommended to be at.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use the touchscreen in combination with the Nob to control plugins (works amazing) macros and faders all work great at the lower angle for me (hard to see in the picture but around 30-35 degrees). I feel like it reduces reflections off the glass and I can still see all the screen well as well as reach all of it.
I have mine set at 25 degrees, and I wouldn't want the slope much less, but can't imagine wanting it at 40 or higher.

I'd like to know more about using Nob for plugin control.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
I was thinking the same thing, but Steven Slate commented earlier that they determined that the flatter angles cause issues with audio reflections off the glass.

Not sure that is any different than audio reflections off a console that is set more horizontal than 40 degrees that the Raven is recommended to be at.
Obviously depends on speaker placement. But I have tried the traditional 40% placement and it just felt unnatural to me to have the screen up in my face but I spent many years on consoles which are flat.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
I'd like to know more about using Nob for plugin control.
https://www.nobcontrol.com/
The software it works with is called NAC which you can see as well on that link.

The Nob in combo with the Raven touchscreen is as close to an analog tactile approach I’ve experienced and I’ve literally tried every combination of control surfaces and interfaces.
Old 5 days ago
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hi guys, the flatter you put the RAVEN, the more it will impact the acoustics because it will cause comb filtering. And yes, flat analog consoles are notorious for comb filtering issues too.. but people have just dealt with it. I personally had to redo many mixes in my career because I got lazy towards the end of the day, and EQ'd while leaning over the console. Of course when I backed my head up, everything was f-cked!

With the RAVEN at 40 degrees and the speakers on stands behind it, you get ZERO acoustical interference. Your sweet spot becomes huge, your mids and highs are clear and present, and you will be mixing with more confidence. And also, your neck will feel better at the end of the day.

So I highly recommend the 40 degree angle.

Cheers,
Steven

Last edited by Steven Slate; 5 days ago at 11:46 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I believe that the key point there is having your speakers behind your desk and not being able to see their reflections on the screen from your working position.
A steeper angle certainly helps with this.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
The software it works with is called NAC which you can see as well on that link.

The Nob in combo with the Raven touchscreen is as close to an analog tactile approach I’ve experienced and I’ve literally tried every combination of control surfaces and interfaces.
Just ordered a Nob (thank you), and the dealer is sending a person to demonstrate an MTi2, as they don't have an MTZ demo. One question, has anyone experienced the MTZ as too big? The thing is a meter wide! Or is everyone convinced that MTZ is the best way to go? Thanks!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
If you physically have the room in your space (or the space in your room?) I think the bigger Z is the way to go.
You’ll see more on screen at once, including 15 send or insert slots rather than 10 total.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
Just ordered a Nob (thank you), and the dealer is sending a person to demonstrate an MTi2, as they don't have an MTZ demo. One question, has anyone experienced the MTZ as too big? The thing is a meter wide! Or is everyone convinced that MTZ is the best way to go? Thanks!
Had the small ones, I like the MTZ more space or surface area to work with.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Being on 27" DTouch (which allows for three insert/send slots, in stead of the 2 on MTi). I don't see any compelling reason to go to a bigger screen.
Sure, there's probably some things I enjoy on a bigger screen but a bigger screen is a significant investment, it won't actually fit more stuff (same resolution), it will e a bigger acoustical thing between me and my speakers, etc.

I think 27" is just fine.
I'd be interested in a larger screen only with increased resolution, probably.

If you have particularly big fingers or a course touch, 27" might be on the small side for you, but I'm okay with it.
Sure I get a erroneous touch here and there, but I'm not convinced a larger screen would eliminate those.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
While I don't have a 43" Raven MTZ, I do have a 42" touchscreen, and find the size as not too big.

What I love about the larger size (bigger than 27") is the size of the objects your fingers interface with are bigger, and I have big fingers.

The angle will affect "reachability" for the very upper edge, though.

My angle is 25 degrees, and I would not go any less.

As Steven Slate has explained, the angle of 40 degrees is optimum, but you do need to make sure your speakers are mounted high enough so the screen monitor does not interfere with the speaker dispersion.

(Because of that, you might need to set your speakers upside down, so the tweeters are at ear level, as opposed to being too high.)

Last edited by brucerothwell; 4 days ago at 04:20 PM.. Reason: added a thought
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
One question, has anyone experienced the MTZ as too big? The thing is a meter wide! Or is everyone convinced that MTZ is the best way to go? Thanks!
I had the MTi 1 (still have it). I then purchased the MTX MK 2 (46 inch display). Although the resolution is the same, touching objects is far more easier on the MTX than the MTi as everything is just bigger.

If you can afford the MTZ and have space for it, that’s the way to go!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I must add, I haven't tried a bigger screen and since the bezels of my 27 are considerable, the jump to a larger one with almost no bezels might not be as much as an acoustical impact as I think. It would push my side racks a bit farther out. I have my monitor controller on there, so that would be unhandy.
It's already a little too far away for my taste with the 27". That's not the touch screens fault though, a rackmount monitor controller is just not that handy for a lot of setups.
I should get a desktop unit.

Still, I'm not willing to spend the money on a large screen, so for me it's a non issue. When the larger screens come down to say 600-800 bucks, then maybe.
To each their own. I've never spent 2k easily, on anything. It's a big improvement on MTX prices, but it's still a lot of money to me.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
I think the 43 inch is perfect. When I saw the MTZ for the first time, the life sized faders really got me! I haven’t seen the 27 inch version—but I’m sure they are great too, but I would think everything would be too small at that size.

I should be getting my MTZ soon. Can’t wait to post pics
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I think it depends per person.
You probably shouldn’t go below 27”,but it’s a very useable size for DAW.
MTi and 27” DTouch are very popular sizes.
I’m sure the larger screens add a significant amount of comfort and for some it will make the difference between unusable and useable, but I think for a lot of people, 27” is a great sweet spot.

I’ve been on 27” for years and I haven’t felt any serious desire to upgrade to a larger screen. But like I said I’m sure there are people who feel like everything on a 27” is just a little too small. Horses for courses.

Last edited by ~ufo~; 3 days ago at 07:46 AM..
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
The MTi 2 is definitely the more popular option and has sold in bucket loads because of the price point. I think size does play a factor with some users but not all. Price is definitely the driver.

I spoke to a UK dealer and the pre orders on the MTZ have been very good. Again the price point hits the mark well for those that want the bigger RAVEN.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
There's a 27" demo coming in next Thursday. After using that for awhile i'll extrapolate and decide on the MTZ or MTi. I can think of pluses and minuses for both. Hopefully i'll be able to get a good idea from just the MTi. Thank you all for your comments!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
I think it depends per person.
You probably shouldn’t go below 27”,but it’s a very useable size for DAW.
MTi and 27” DTouch are very popular sizes.
I’m sure the larger screens add a significant amount of comfort and for some it will make the difference between unusable and useable, but I think for a lot of people, 27” is a great sweet spot.

I’ve been on 27” for years and I haven’t felt any serious desire to upgrade to a larger screen. But like I said I’m sure there are people who feel like everything on a 27” is just a little too small. Horses for courses.
I’m sure the 27” is great. I just haven’t tried it. They sell like crazy, so they must be awesome. I personally love the 43 inch size more. I didn’t think I would until I saw it.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

TheMagician Do you have an MTZ or MTi2?
Old 22 hours ago
Quote:
TheMagician Do you have an MTZ or MTi2?
MTZ
Old 18 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
MTZ
Thank you.
Old 3 minutes ago
Gear Head

I'm curious to ask if anybody solely using the MTZ - without any computer monitors - misses the traditional two screen setup?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search