The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wes Audio announces _PROMETHEUS analog EQ and _CALYPSO audio interface for 500 series
Old 24th January 2019
News Desk Editor

Wes Audio announces _PROMETHEUS analog EQ and _CALYPSO audio interface for 500 series

Wes Audio announces _PROMETHEUS analog passive EQ and _CALYPSO audio interface for 500 series

_PROMETHEUS is fully analog passive EQ with +24dBu of headroom. It features pultec-style warm sound with a lot of innovative improvements. Its modern approach to design allows instant recall of your classic vibe through very flexible plugin available in most common formats. _PROMETHEUS as all ng500 products, integrates with your DAW environment via front panel USB socket or _TITAN chassis.

Features summary:
  • +24dBu of headroom Stereo / Dual mono / Mid/Side operation mode Passive equalizer (Pultec-style) design
  • Low frequency boost/cut – 20, 30, 60, 100, 120, 250 Hz. High frequency boost – 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 12, 16 kHz.
  • High frequency cut – 4, 8, 12, 20 KHZ.
  • Proprietary THD implementation
  • Flexible DAW/Live plug-in control for instant recall 6 touch sensitive encoders allows to record automation
  • True bypass
  • In and OUT metering with clip detection A/B compare feature

_CALYPSO is an audio interface designed to work in 500 series enclosure. It features state of art 8 channels of AD/DA conversion and perfectly integrates with ng500 chassis - _TITAN, through I.A.C. connector. Besides its very convenient integration with ng500 chassis, it still can be used in standard 500 series enclosure using two DB25 connectors.

Features summary:
  • 24bit conversion Supported sample rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz(SMUX), 96kHz(SMUX)
  • Ultra low jitter clock Word clock
  • IN/OUT Full integration with _TITAN via IAC connector (Just ADAT cables are need to route signal to, and from chassis)
  • Two DB25 connectors allows integration with any 500 series chassis
  • Two converter reference levels +4dBu/-10dBV
  • LCD screen with channels metering
Prices:

_PROMETHEUS: 1399$/1199 Euro
_CALYPSO 999$/899 Euro

For more information: www.wesaudio.com – Modern audio equipment
Attached Thumbnails
Wes Audio announces _PROMETHEUS analog EQ and _CALYPSO audio interface for 500 series-_prometheus_calypso.jpg   Wes Audio announces _PROMETHEUS analog EQ and _CALYPSO audio interface for 500 series-ng500_family_small.jpg  
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Nice!
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

That Prometheus looks sweet!! I wonder about the guts—does it have transformers?
Old 24th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
That Prometheus looks sweet!! I wonder about the guts—does it have transformers?
Not sure...site says specs coming: _prometheus – www.wesaudio.com

It does have the THD which adds some harmonic grit kinda like transformer saturation. I'm guessing this is Pultec-style with the cut and boost? Be interesting to have the mid-side option with that.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
I'm very curious about this interface...never really saw anything like that before in a 500 series device. The EQ looks promising too.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

does calypso not use the ins and outs of a normal 500 case? i mean they say 8 channels ad/da not ten, right? would be cool to at least mult 1 and 2 to the back connectors...

and although they say 'interface' it's really just converters. albeit ones that work elegantly with a titan rack... that usb on the front isn't going to bring data to/from a host computer..

so titan+calypso is more cranbourne ADAT than cranbourne R8, to make a relevant comparison
Old 24th January 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
It is transformer-less design, but we are so happy with the results! We will post some guts photos as soon as we will get first production unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Not sure...site says specs coming: _prometheus – www.wesaudio.com

It does have the THD which adds some harmonic grit kinda like transformer saturation. I'm guessing this is Pultec-style with the cut and boost? Be interesting to have the mid-side option with that.
Yes, it is definitelly pultec-style EQ with cut and boost sections - and of course as _HYPERION it is dual-mono, stereo, and mid-side as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
does calypso not use the ins and outs of a normal 500 case? i mean they say 8 channels ad/da not ten, right? would be cool to at least mult 1 and 2 to the back connectors...
No, those connectors are not used. It is 8 AD and DA channels.

Quote:
and although they say 'interface' it's really just converters. albeit ones that work elegantly with a titan rack... that usb on the front isn't going to bring data to/from a host computer..
That is correct, USB in the front is only used for firmware upgrade when units is not used in _TITAN chassis. Well, this usb could also mean some integration with DAW later on, we are still considering a few additions.

Quote:
so titan+calypso is more cranbourne ADAT than cranbourne R8, to make a relevant comparison
I do agree that connectivity concept is similar, but still, _TITAN also allows you to fully control and recall your units! Also what is good to mention that _TITAN source selection (Either I.A.C. connector used with _CALYPSO or back XLR INs) is digitally controlled with Relay switches - so you could have whole chassis hooked up to the patchbay for recording, and use it for mixing as HW inserts by just changing the input source.

- Michal
Old 24th January 2019
Wish that Calypso was 24 channel, looks like what I need for ADAT HD24 out>insert>dig mixer in
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head

Where CALYPSO Plugin control interface? And it is digital patchbay routing inside DB 25 or something else?
Old 25th January 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee52813 View Post
Where CALYPSO Plugin control interface?
_CALYPSO is very simple interface which is fully configurable from the front panel. It will be managable from standalone application, which mostly will allow to set reference levels for each channel. Currently we don't really see a point of having a separate plug-in instance, but it is still under discussion, so if there will be a need, we will certainly create one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee52813 View Post
And it is digital patchbay routing inside DB 25 or something else?
_CALYPSO can be also used in standard 500 series chassis, but in this case all audio INs and OUTs have to be connected via DB-25 connectors - and this is exactly why those are there! When _CALYPSO is placed in _TITAN, those connector are not used at all.

-Michal
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesAudio View Post
_CALYPSO is very simple interface which is fully configurable from the front panel. It will be managable from standalone application, which mostly will allow to set reference levels for each channel. Currently we don't really see a point of having a separate plug-in instance, but it is still under discussion, so if there will be a need, we will certainly create one!

-Michal
Better if has separate plugins for controlling routing between DB25 in and out, just like digital patchbay. It will be more attractive, I will buy 2 pieces at least.
Old 25th January 2019
price?
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Wes audio is killing it with all their units !! wow great to see.
Old 25th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
price?
Adding to the OP now:

_CALYPSO 999$/899 Euro
Old 25th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
Adding to the OP now:

_CALYPSO 999$/899 Euro
wow..looks good!
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

When is the eq shipping?
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

I'm not sure those underscores will last long in the rough and tumble of GS.
Old 26th January 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundEng1 View Post
When is the eq shipping?
EQ is already in production and it will start shipping at the begining of April!
Old 2nd February 2019
Here for the gear
More cool stuff from Wes Audio! Automate-able pultec with M/S, perfect!

A bit curious about Calypso, it seems a bit odd to have everything on the front panel like that? Not trying to bash on it at all, I guess I'm just a bit of a neat-freak.. I'm thinking maybe it could've been a Titan 2.0 instead? 8 500-series slots with all the connectivity on the back (including insert points) and have it as a daw-recallable digital patchbay with volume automation... (please ) I think the only thing similar would be the SSL Sigma? This would be heaps better though!

Surely I can't be the only one that wants to mix 3-4 sub-groups into hardware compression, do post-compression DAW volume rides but sum analogue and have hardware master bus compression without doing another A/D/A.. This 'Titan 2.0' would literally be the perfect product for me but I feel like the Calypso doesn't quite tick all the boxes.. maybe I'm misunderstanding the routing flexibility? Would I be able to go from DAW via Calypso to external hardware, back into the 500-series units in the Titan, then out again into summing device and then back into DAW via Calypso? If it was incorporated into the Titan with rear I/O it could have insert points that you could switch pre/post the 500 series units in the Titan, and save it all to DAW session... would be amazing.

Marc
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Wish that Calypso was 24 channel, looks like what I need for ADAT HD24 out>insert>dig mixer in
Is it not? With the dual ADAT it can hopefully support 16 digital. There's no info on their site about it and number of channels, nor anything else.
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Press Desk View Post
It features state of art 8 channels of AD/DA conversion...
Right there at the top of the page.

2nd ADAT will be SMUX.

DB25 can be used for non-Titan enclosures.
Old 4th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post

2nd ADAT will be SMUX.

No, what you quoted is talking about AD/DA. Nothing states whether it's 16 channels or 24 channels in total. I dare say that's important info.
Old 4th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes. MUST be used if not using Titan. One of the few features that's explained clearly. Digital isn't, though.
Old 4th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

2nd ADAT will be SMUX.

Wait, is it NOT actually an audio interface like they state? I don't see any computer connector. Is it JUST a converter?
Old 7th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreRec View Post
Wait, is it NOT actually an audio interface like they state? I don't see any computer connector. Is it JUST a converter?
Well I'm sure by now you've seen post 6 and 7, but if not check em' out...

My biggest issue with any of these 500 series modules with DB25 ports is dealing with the weight/pull of the cables... In a Titan, this would be awesome.
Old 7th February 2019
Prometheus looks cool. But, I gotta ask... If theres no tubes does it sound like the Hyperion? Just different controls/curves? Curious how they differentiate...
Old 12th February 2019
Company Rep

Apologies for late answers! (after-NAMM regeneration ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc.scollo View Post
More cool stuff from Wes Audio! Automate-able pultec with M/S, perfect!
Aye!

Quote:
A bit curious about Calypso, it seems a bit odd to have everything on the front panel like that?
Marc
When used in _TITAN only ADAT sockets are in use.

Quote:
Not trying to bash on it at all, I guess I'm just a bit of a neat-freak.. I'm thinking maybe it could've been a Titan 2.0 instead?
Unfortunately _TITAN is so packed - Digital recall (internal digital connectors to module), rear XLR, IAC connector with relay switches (to select source, either back XLR or IAC), USB and Ethernet, that I fear that putting anything else inside is very risky.

Quote:
8 500-series slots with all the connectivity on the back (including insert points) and have it as a daw-recallable digital patchbay with volume automation... (please ) I think the only thing similar would be the SSL Sigma? This would be heaps better though!

Surely I can't be the only one that wants to mix 3-4 sub-groups into hardware compression, do post-compression DAW volume rides but sum analogue and have hardware master bus compression without doing another A/D/A.. This 'Titan 2.0' would literally be the perfect product for me but I feel like the Calypso doesn't quite tick all the boxes..
Marc
Well, those are of course very good ideas, but I fear that 500 series enclosure is very challenging when it comes to size.

Quote:
maybe I'm misunderstanding the routing flexibility? Would I be able to go from DAW via Calypso to external hardware, back into the 500-series units in the Titan, then out again into summing device and then back into DAW via Calypso? If it was incorporated into the Titan with rear I/O it could have insert points that you could switch pre/post the 500 series units in the Titan, and save it all to DAW session... would be amazing.
Marc
In general there is no additional routing inside. So _CALYPSO is "statically" connected to each slot, so e.g. "channel 1 DA -> slot 1 -> channel 1 AD". However using frong panel DB-25, you can go out from digital domain to whatever you would like, and then go back through the chassis (XLR), process audio through 500 series modules and return to digital domain. There will be also easy way to link modules using XLR cables, and based on need use those separately or linked (Advantage of digitally controlled relay switches which toggle between back XLR and internal IAC). In upcomming weeks we will explain all possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreRec View Post
Apologies Sir for confusion. Yes, it is a converter, however in my dictionary this is still audio interface but with ADAT "interface" instead of USB or Thunderbolt. We will try to clarify this so it is perfectly clear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Prometheus looks cool. But, I gotta ask... If theres no tubes does it sound like the Hyperion? Just different controls/curves? Curious how they differentiate...
Oh no, this is entirely different design, with very different sound! Tubes in original pultec are part of the circuit for particular purpose, in our design this section is just implemented using other components, however this is still fully passive design with "pultec" sound!

-Michal

Last edited by WesAudio; 12th February 2019 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Signature added
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

Oh no, this is entirely different design, with very different sound! Tubes in original pultec are part of the circuit for particular purpose, in our design this section is just implemented using other components, however this is still fully passive design with "pultec" sound!

-Michal
Interesting product Does it have transformers and inductors like the pultecs?
Old 13th February 2019
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmin View Post
Interesting product
Thank you !

Quote:
Does it have transformers
No, it doesn't! It is transformer-less design.

Quote:
and inductors like the pultecs?
Yes, of course!
Old 13th February 2019
Quote:

-Michal
OK cool. So, apologies in advance for asking you to describe 'sound' with words... but I've seen a few demos of your 19" EQP pultec style eq... Anyway you can compare that to the 500?

I'm sure it's great and reviews will be coming...
Cheers!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search