Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney View Post
Don't believe the hype!
What does that mean?
Old 4th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
What does that mean?
That means manufacturers and vendors often hype (make exaggerated claims for) the products they sell. I don't believe these mics sound that much like the ones they're supposed to be emulating, so my statement is an obvious caveat emptor (buyer beware).

It's also the title of a classic Public Enemy joint that came to mind while I was reading this thread.
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't believe these mics sound that much like the ones they're supposed to be emulating
And this conclusion is based on ...
Old 4th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
And this conclusion is based on ...
Not a conclusion but a belief based on posted comparisons. As I say, don't believe the hype: try them for yourself. If you have a different impression, I'd love to know what it is.
Old 4th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not a conclusion but a belief based on posted comparisons. As I say, don't believe the hype: try them for yourself. If you have a different impression, I'd love to know what it is.
So you have no firsthand experience with these mics, but have nevertheless somehow drawn a conclusion (yes, it's a conclusion) which you decided to offer to the public as an ambiguous but derogatory quip. "Don't believe the hype" carries a strong *negative* connotation, insisting that there's hype (there isn't -- no one is talking about this mic) and that the product doesn't live up to it (you've never used it). I have to wonder what your motive might have been.
Old 4th September 2019
Lives for gear

I just reread the impressions offered by owners over the past few pages and feedback has been largely positive. The downside being a technical one (certain Neumann parts cannot be swapped-in) and a sonic one (it doesn't sound as detailed as a KM84, which, considering the components, can't surprise anyone given the price, which is about 1/4 of a Neumann-branded version). I suspect that budget-conscious engineers can do a lot with these mics, and with a touch of added top-end the recording may never know the difference.
Old 4th September 2019
Talking

It should be obvious that my motive was to (playfully) warn the unsuspecting reader of possible manipulations by internet marketing and gear gurus -- admittedly pointless because the experienced reader already knows this and the inexperienced will have to learn for themselves (fortunately young aspiring engineers these days tend to be internet savvy and really don't need the warning).

I was searching for an SDC for recording acoustic guitar, and was on the lookout for a substitute for the Neumann KM-84 which I've used in the past. I settled on the Sennheiser MKH8040 because I didn't want to take a chance on a vintage microphone.

I'm not bashing the WA-84. My impression is it isn't bad. I think your last post was good in sharing that others found it not as detailed as the one it's supposed to emulate (something I heard myself from demos). It's just that to me, it didn't have that "Neumann magic" which absolutely does usually come across on reasonably well done YouTube videos.

Perhaps you have some motives of your own in aggressively attacking my simple caveat? Are you affiliated with Warm Audio or possibly have friends there? No matter: I sympathize with a company's enormous task of selling such products in a crowded specialized field, so best of luck to them.

And yeah, nobody believes the hype anymore anyway.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search