The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
IK Multimedia unveils iLoud MTM reference monitor
Old 23rd January 2019
News Desk Editor

IK Multimedia unveils iLoud MTM reference monitor-unnamed-5-.jpg

Compact monitor with high-end design re-invents nearfield monitoring for professional and home studios

IK Multimedia debuts iLoud® MTM, a compact, no-compromise, reference monitor designed to deliver pristine sound and an unprecedented level of accuracy that redefines nearfield monitoring for the modern, computer-based, professional and home studio.

When IK's earlier monitor system, the iLoud Micro Monitors, launched in 2016, producers and engineers at every level marvelled at the performance coming from such a small setup, so IK challenged its design team to push this concept even further and create a new compact design with a sound quality that would rival monitors several times the price and provide innovative features not found anywhere else.

iLoud MTM offers an ultra-flat frequency response, but more importantly, a truly linear phase response as well - a premiere feature in this price segment available only on a handful of products costing considerably more - to provide natural, true-to-life sound. This is achieved through IK's advanced DSP expertise that also provides for digital crossovers and self-calibration derived from IK's award-winning ARC™ System. This enables iLoud MTM monitors to deliver unsurpassed accuracy, clarity and transparency, with a generous 100W RMS power and a class-defying 40 Hz to 24 kHz frequency response. In addition, the symmetrical MTM design provides superior imaging and precision, even at close distances, with a perfectly perfect sweet-spot, thanks to the included tilt-able isolation bases. This enables users to create mixes that will translate across multiple playback systems, with no ear fatigue.

Building upon IK's acclaimed iLoud Micro Monitors, this new compact monitor delivers the accuracy and bass response of larger monitors, and superior audio quality when listening at close distances. This makes iLoud MTM the ideal monitor for nearfield work and a workhorse monitor for desktop use in a home or project studio.

Reference-class, ultra-linear response
The primary role of any studio monitor is to deliver accurate, uncoloured sound for easier mixing decisions that will translate across multiple playback systems. iLoud MTM uses the most advanced DSP techniques to provide total control of the speaker's performance, delivering results simply not obtainable with traditional analogue designs. Highs are neutral and defined, mids and lows are clear and as balanced as ever. Users can mix for hours with no ear fatigue, and their work will translate better than ever.

And of course it's loud, with 100W RMS total power per speaker and 103dB SPL maximum sound pressure, delivering the exceptional volume the iLoud brand is known for.

Digitally-controlled for precision audio
iLoud MTM uses audiophile-grade, high resolution algorithms and top-of-the line A/D converters to carefully manage cross-overs, filtering, time alignment, equalization, dynamics control and auto-calibration. Totally DSP-controlled and precision time-aligned, iLoud MTM also manages the off-axis response to minimize the effects of room reverberation. The advanced onboard processing is the product of IK's over twenty years of experience in digital signal processing, helping iLoud MTM deliver sound far beyond anything in its size or class.

Extended low-end that rivals larger systems
iLoud Micro Monitor surprised the world with bass performance delivered from a 3" speaker that "defied physics". iLoud MTM offers even more, with bass response down to a surprising 40Hz, ideal for modern music styles.

iLoud MTM also debuts IK's new patent-pending Physical Response Linearization (PRL™) system that uses a precise model of the enclosure's design, construction and materials, combined with electro-mechanical measurements of the real units, to correct the system's performance in real time. The result is a stunningly "firm", balanced and defined low end, to surpass the sound of speakers even twice iLoud MTM's size.

A new phase in precision sound reproduction
The great majority of conventional studio monitors - even high-end designs - suffer from skewed phase response caused by traditional, phase-shifting crossovers and driver/enclosure phase alterations. The end result is an unfocused stereo image, blurry transients, and overall lack of detail.

iLoud MTM leverages IK's two decades of DSP experience to offer a true phase coherent response across the useful frequency spectrum, for unbelievably realistic, natural sound. Users will hear instruments and dialogue as if they were happening live, discover more detail in their tracks than ever before, and avoid wasting hours trying to EQ away issues that were never there. This linear phase response is rarely found in speakers even several times iLoud MTM's price.

Symmetrical design for superior imaging and precision
iLoud MTM uses a midrange-tweeter-midrange symmetrical design, with a pair of 3.5" high performance woofers and one 1" high definition tweeter, which provide ultra-precise, defined, point-source sound that simply can't be achieved by traditional 2-way systems at close distances.

The result is a more natural, life-like sound that minimizes the ear fatigue caused by traditional 2- or 3-way designs where different frequencies arrive at the listener's ears at different times, so users can mix longer with less effort.

iLoud MTM's design also offers exceptional sound dispersion, enhancing the transparency and neutrality. The controlled dispersion minimizes the impact of room acoustics, for even truer monitoring. The end result is faster, easier mixing with better results. On top of that, this innovative design keeps the monitor dimensions to a minimum (30 to 50% smaller than comparable monitors), to fit in even the smallest spaces.

Instantly adjust to the acoustic environment
Today's studios range from dedicated, acoustically-treated spaces to a spare bedroom. To help optimize the monitoring for any room's particular acoustics, iLoud MTM monitors feature built-in acoustic auto-calibration derived from IK's award winning ARC™ System, with IK's reference ARC™ microphone included, to automatically adjust the frequency response to their positioning. Users simply set up the monitors, place the mic in the preferred listening position, and press a button to instantly provide custom calibration for the specific listening environment. iLoud MTM also offers a low-frequency extension control and low and high-frequency trim controls to adjust the response to suit individual tastes.

Always get the perfect angle
iLoud MTM includes a tilting mount that not only helps isolate it, but also adjusts from 0° to 20° for correct positioning in a wide range of setups. That's higher than most other "tilting" monitors that too often can't actually reach the required angle for desktop or other close-listening setups. To cover the full spectrum of installation options, a rubber base for horizontal shelf-placement, and a bottom thread to mount conveniently on mic stands, are also included.

Combined with its symmetrical design and phase-coherent response, iLoud MTM allows for ultra-focused, accurate monitoring anywhere.

Price and availability
iLoud MTM will be available in Q2, 2019 at a MSRP of €349.99* each.
*All prices excluding taxes

For more information, please visit: iLoud MTM

To see it in action, visit: iLoud MTM

See it at NAMM - Room#17202, ACC North Hall, Level 2
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia unveils iLoud MTM reference monitor-unnamed-5-.jpg  
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting! We also have this video:

YouTube

Old 23rd January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post

YouTube

If you've gone this far, now you need a compact "iSub" that pairs with these to give users the full range setup option. This "iSub" could also be more compact than traditional studio subs but also rival the low end extension of other bigger subs - same sort of deal. Lol, just an idea. These look cool though!
Old 23rd January 2019
Gear Head

Looks nice but $700 for two of them?
Old 23rd January 2019
Deleted e999d8e
I'm guessing the JBL multimedia speakers will be a lot cheaper than these.
Old 23rd January 2019
OMU
Lives for gear

Yeah. I was expecting 500 for the pair. They packed a little too much in this product and lost affordability. Maybe a cheaper option without the mic and the arc implementation would be a good idea.
Old 23rd January 2019
Gear Head
Quote:

YouTube

Hi, why could not we get more information from your official website at the current time?
Old 23rd January 2019
Gear Maniac
This is interesting. I was also thinking $500 for the pair once I started reading about them/watching the video. If they're sold individually, does that mean each one comes with its own mic? That seems...unnecessary. They should offer a bundle with two of them and a mic for $600.

That being said, the v1 iLoud monitors I have are really quite good for the price. I'd say my only real concern with them is that the stereo matching isn't as good as more expensive options, which is very understandable at this price point. But if the DSP on these new ones (once individually calibrated in your space) essentially makes them function as matched pairs, there's probably a good chance these sound as good as anything else you could get in this price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
Yeah. I was expecting 500 for the pair. They packed a little too much in this product and lost affordability. Maybe a cheaper option without the mic and the arc implementation would be a good idea.
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarduan View Post
Hi, why could not we get more information from your official website at the current time?
You can. The information has been on our site since last night my time (to be available for Asia).
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon2004 View Post
...there's probably a good chance these sound as good as anything else you could get in this price range.
There’s a 100% chance that they sound as good or better than speakers that are MUCH more expensive. These aren’t toys and the price is actually low for the quality.
Old 23rd January 2019
Here for the gear

there is USB instead of bluetooth ? Working similar to eve sc203 ? If so i would like to know more about it.
Old 23rd January 2019
Deleted efff87a
Quote:
There’s a 100% chance that they sound as good or better than speakers that are MUCH more expensive. These aren’t toys and the price is actually low for the quality.
Peter...Can you explain a little bit more on how the ARC measurements are made with these new speakers? I use the ARC 2.5 in my studio (I don't have the MEMS mic...still using one of the original IK omnis). I watched the MTM preview video and noticed the ARC mic inputs and the calibration buttons on the back of the speakers. Is the calibration process more automatic/quicker with these new monitors than the standard ARC process? Thanks for any info you can provide!
Old 23rd January 2019
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryonv2 View Post
there is USB instead of bluetooth ? Working similar to eve sc203 ? If so i would like to know more about it.
As far as I can tell they don't have digital inputs. Odd thing for a speaker with digital at its heart and with so much flexibility they clearly intended to offer. The double conversion should have been skipped altogether since it makes little sense. The USB connector adds to the confusion and it seems to be there for firmware updates and the likes only.
Old 23rd January 2019
Gear Addict

I tried the V1 speakers in a store I although didn’t get them I was REALLY surprised on the sound quality of them,at the price point,I’m expecting these to be possibly next level in terms of best sound in the price range
Old 23rd January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Johnson View Post
Looks nice but $700 for two of them?
Plus a mic for tuning.

I'd say that if these work as advertised it's a great deal. I would personally be mainly concerned with headroom versus room size assuming everything is as stated... in other words one has to figure out in what circumstance to use them.

Looks like a good deal to me.
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

If these are as good as advertised, I think $/€700 is a good deal! Will certainly audition them when they are available at my local store!

The Genelec 8331 is very small and has a sound and frequency response that is beyond their size in my experience. You will need a lot more money for them though. If they somehow can compete, I’m up for it. But maybe I’m unrealistic, considering the price difference. Who knows...
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

Hmm...

Interesting, but I think $550 would have been more appropriate.

$700 for iLoud or $999 for CLA NS10's - CLA tips it for me.
Old 23rd January 2019
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marando View Post
If these are as good as advertised, I think $/€700 is a good deal! Will certainly audition them when they are available at my local store!

The Genelec 8331 is very small and has a sound and frequency response that is beyond their size in my experience. You will need a lot more money for them though. If they somehow can compete, I’m up for it. But maybe I’m unrealistic, considering the price difference. Who knows...
Well, IF they can go anywhere near 8331, then it would be a great deal indeed. Maybe it's a bit of a long stretch to have such high expectations for these, but anything is possible, keep us posted if you audition them.
Old 23rd January 2019
Gear Guru

A single Genelec 8331 costs $2,250 on Sweetwater. This guy costs $350.

350/2250=0.15

So if these speakers are roughly one 6th as good as the Gennies I'd say they're worth it.
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear

If they really go down to 40 hz they are well worth the price. I appreciate the inclusion of a mic. That's something I don't get since years. Every AV receiver - even the budget ones - comes with a mic and measurement software today. But studio monitors not? (I know that you can buy the software and mics seperately)
Old 23rd January 2019
Brb
Lives for gear

Priceslutz strikes again for the ones complaining about the price... the older get ilouds go for 300 or less and have some rave reviews online
Old 24th January 2019
OMU
Lives for gear

If they do indeed compete with much higher priced speakers no one will be complaining, that's for sure.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

These look ideal for location work. How long does the ARC calibration system take roughly?
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
Hmm...

Interesting, but I think $550 would have been more appropriate.

$700 for iLoud or $999 for CLA NS10's - CLA tips it for me.
Are you serious? These will be way waaaay higher in resolution and frequency response. NS-10’s (or copies of NS10 in the case of CLA) are what they are. Mid forward, tiiiiiny low end monitors.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

If these things do as claimed, I’d actually be worried about how cheap they are. Jeez, they even come with a mic!
Looking forward to checking them out next Q.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

The iLoud Micro is a modern classic, so I'm excited to hear these.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

I am too, these are a lot of bang for the reasonable buck. Do I wish they were cheaper? I wish everything was cheaper, but I also live in the real world. Still, these could be the first monitors to make me part with my KRKs after 15 years.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

I may just bite on these. I’ve seen people happily using the V1’s, and the size would be amazing for my mobile rig... love that they come with room correction. Very cool
Old 24th January 2019
They look great, but I also would love to see a version without ARC.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

these could be great for a small 5.1 setup
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search