The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia unveils iLoud MTM reference monitor
Old 30th October 2019
Here for the gear

Mounting of MTM's

Hello,

I'm going to listen to these babies next week before buying them in a local store and i have one more thing on list which i need to solve before buying and that's the mounting problem. As i'm also a web developer i kind off need to have 3 pc screens and since the spread is too big i won't be able to put the MTM's on side because that will give me almost 180 degree angle, which i believe will ruin stereo imaging. I currently have old M-Audio BX8a speakers which are on the sides and i want to put the MTM's behind PC screens on some stands so the MTM's will point to my head from greater height that my ears are. Is this a good solution please ? And if so, can you guys recommend me some stands that can be tilted down bc i'm struggling to find anything. Or maybe some wall mounted arms ?

I've uploaded picture of my desk, please notice that there are shelves behind but i think that putting the speaker in a shelve is generaly bad idea for any speakers or maybe I'm wrong ?

Will somebody please kindly help me with that ?
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia unveils iLoud MTM reference monitor-66703661_2366223773630702_544585351868448768_n.jpg  
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Guru

Honestly I think your current setup looks like trouble, and adding more speakers to that will just make it more confusing.

In my experience you really want to both threat the room acoustically as much as you can, and secondly you want to avoid reflective surfaces close to the speakers. In your case right now you have three screens on the same plane as the speakers, right 'in line' with the front baffle of the speakers. I would fully expect a fair amount of frequencies would bounce off of those screens and create all sorts of problems.

I'm not sure what the solution is in your case because I get the feeling that the picture doesn't capture depth that well, but at the very least you should probably address that. In my home studio I have my 24 inch screen lower than my head so I'm looking down somewhat, and my speakers all sit above the screen. Then around the walls I have treatment to lower reflections and absorb at least the mid-high end as much as I can.

Also, when you do get your new speakers; don't place them right next to the old set. I see people do this all the time and it's basically the same thing - they're effectively extending the front baffle by placing the speakers right next to each other and that can mess with imaging.
Old 30th October 2019
Here for the gear

Better without calibration?

I've had the iLoud MTM's for the last month after using Adam A5x's with Sonarworks. I'm curious if anyone else finds the MTM's *calibrated* sound to be a bit harsh/bright.

I've tried several calibrations, and found that when listening to my reference playlist my ears fatigue quickly even at reasonable volumes (~70db). When I switch the mode from "Calibrated" to "Flat" the sound is more aligned with what I would prefer.

Just for kicks, I ran this calibrated setup through Sonarworks' room test and indeed the speakers are quite "flat" with a bit of a dip in the top end (see attached graph) -- much more so than my A5X are in this room.

FYI, the MTM's are mounted on speaker stands with the tweeter at ear level per the manual's recommendation.

So -- is "flat" bright/harsh to your ears or is something wonky?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia unveils iLoud MTM reference monitor-screen-shot-2019-10-30-11.25.26-am.png  
Old 30th October 2019
Here for the gear

Firstly, thank you for you answer and secondly I've forgot to mention that i will get rid of the m-audio speakers and the new MTM's are supposed to go behind and above the displays, tilted to front so the tweeters are aiming at my head correctly. I'm just not sure if it will work correctly that way

Furthermore i'm in a rented under roof flat, so putting money into space that's not mine doesn't seem as a good option to me, although i get the importance of it ofc, that's why the iLoud MTM's with it's ARC calibration came to my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Honestly I think your current setup looks like trouble, and adding more speakers to that will just make it more confusing.

In my experience you really want to both threat the room acoustically as much as you can, and secondly you want to avoid reflective surfaces close to the speakers. In your case right now you have three screens on the same plane as the speakers, right 'in line' with the front baffle of the speakers. I would fully expect a fair amount of frequencies would bounce off of those screens and create all sorts of problems.

I'm not sure what the solution is in your case because I get the feeling that the picture doesn't capture depth that well, but at the very least you should probably address that. In my home studio I have my 24 inch screen lower than my head so I'm looking down somewhat, and my speakers all sit above the screen. Then around the walls I have treatment to lower reflections and absorb at least the mid-high end as much as I can.

Also, when you do get your new speakers; don't place them right next to the old set. I see people do this all the time and it's basically the same thing - they're effectively extending the front baffle by placing the speakers right next to each other and that can mess with imaging.
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depka View Post
i'm in a rented under roof flat, so putting money into space that's not mine doesn't seem as a good option to me, although i get the importance of it ofc, that's why the iLoud MTM's with it's ARC calibration came to my mind.
Well, in my space at home I simply screwed in some "L brackets" into the wall and leaned 2-inch absorption panels on them. So I didn't end up actually modifying my rented apartment more than screwing holes in a wall. No significant modification. And when I move I can easily bring these panels with me.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that if you have a bunch of hard surfaces you're going to have issues, and certainly a book shelf that isn't filled with books is probably a bad thing. As a matter of fact I think a book shelf filled with books protruding to different degrees is sometimes a good thing. But either way you probably could easily address at least first reflections in your room and that would go a long way. You could maybe hang panels on something and have them more or less movable when you need access to what's behind them.

It's just a thought.
Old 30th October 2019
Here for the gear

Well i just need to solve putting the speakers abive the displays and wanted to ask for opinions the treatment is not the thing i need to help with right now

Quote:
Well, in my space at home I simply screwed in some "L brackets" into the wall and leaned 2-inch absorption panels on them. So I didn't end up actually modifying my rented apartment more than screwing holes in a wall. No significant modification. And when I move I can easily bring these panels with me.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that if you have a bunch of hard surfaces you're going to have issues, and certainly a book shelf that isn't filled with books is probably a bad thing. As a matter of fact I think a book shelf filled with books protruding to different degrees is sometimes a good thing. But either way you probably could easily address at least first reflections in your room and that would go a long way. You could maybe hang panels on something and have them more or less movable when you need access to what's behind them.

It's just a thought.
Old 30th October 2019
Here for the gear

I don't mean to be disrespectful, i get what you're telling me but i just cant modify it here for multiple reasons. So i thought that the ARC will at least help with that. But again that's not the concern here, im trying to figure out how to mount the speakers ideally.

Quote:

It's just a thought.
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depka View Post
I don't mean to be disrespectful
You're definitely not disrespectful.

I think you probably pointed out what I said in your post and I maybe just didn't realize it, so sorry for stating what's maybe obvious.

Yes, I think putting your speakers behind the screens, above them, is the better solution. I will reiterate that you should be able to lower your screens a bit even if it might be odd at first. I think that'll at least partially help clearing some space for sound waves and let you tilt the speakers less.
Old 30th October 2019
Here for the gear

Ok thank you, i may have found another solution and that is to put the speakers bit higher, it's a 135cm from my ears and the angle would be probably 30 degrees.

I've attached a pic from my point of view when I'm sitting, it could be instead of that green boxy candle thing near the diplomatico bottle, but i dont know if it's not too much. I will ofc clear the place a bit of that rubbish. On the left side there's the same space so it could be fine from symetric point of view

Quote:
You're definitely not disrespectful.

I think you probably pointed out what I said in your post and I maybe just didn't realize it, so sorry for stating what's maybe obvious.

Yes, I think putting your speakers behind the screens, above them, is the better solution. I will reiterate that you should be able to lower your screens a bit even if it might be odd at first. I think that'll at least partially help clearing some space for sound waves and let you tilt the speakers less.
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia unveils iLoud MTM reference monitor-placement.jpg  
Old 31st October 2019
New video up on the calibration process.

Check it out:

Old 31st October 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Great video.
So when calibrating should all settings be set to flat?
And user makes EQ adjustments post calibration to their liking?
Thanks
Old 31st October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Great video.
So when calibrating should all settings be set to flat?
And user makes EQ adjustments post calibration to their liking?
Thanks
The CAL process will not be affected by the settings or volume of the speaker. Normally I would start with these at the default settings (Shown in the video), perform a calibration and then fine tune with a reference track I know well with the settings on the back of the speaker (Sometimes I just leave these flat, but if you have a sub it could be a good idea to roll off low end close to the crossover frequency). Once a calibration is stored, the CAL option will override the FLAT and DESK setting options. Hope that helps
Old 5th November 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Someone is contacting them as it doesn't seem like the expected behavior. I'm sure it will get sorted.

There are definitely people using iLoud MTM happily with music that is heavy on kick and bass, some in this very thread if I recall.

Hi Peter, is there a follow up concerning the behaviour reported in Z review?

can be provided as info, setting 40 hz, the max db suitable in order to avoid bass compression or distorsion? (reported also in soundonsound review... )
sorry to ask, but in greece no demo. every review advise 40 hz is suitable only for low volume but nobody quantize it.
thank you
Old 5th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeros View Post
Hi Peter, is there a follow up concerning the behaviour reported in Z review?

can be provided as info, setting 40 hz, the max db suitable in order to avoid bass compression or distorsion? (reported also in soundonsound review... )
sorry to ask, but in greece no demo. every review advise 40 hz is suitable only for low volume but nobody quantize it.
thank you
There could be multiple factors depending on the source audio, or where your speakers are in the room (Make sure they aren't too close to a wall) but you should have no problem using the iLoud MTM within the specs without any issues with bass response. The best way to tell if you like them is in person. Here is a link to help you find a local IK dealer. Make sure to call before to make sure they have a pair in stock.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/dealers/
Old 5th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_IK View Post
There could be multiple factors depending on the source audio, or where your speakers are in the room (Make sure they aren't too close to a wall) but you should have no problem using the iLoud MTM within the specs without any issues with bass response. The best way to tell if you like them is in person. Here is a link to help you find a local IK dealer. Make sure to call before to make sure they have a pair in stock.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/dealers/
Does that mean that 103 dB SPL at 1m at 40 Hz is no problem? Is the 103 dB peak SPL or an averaged value?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi!
Yesterday, one of my newly (end of August) bought MTM:s light, started blinkning yellow a couple of times and then red. The sound then stopped on that monitor. I restarted that monitor a couple of times, but the same problem came back after a couple of seconds regardless what I did on the computer (played sounds etc). I have tried alot of things (restarted the computer, upgrading mixer firmware, pulling out the power cord etc), nothing works. I switched the power/audio cables on the two monitors and it seems that it is nothing wrong with the cables, the faulty monitor still blinks yellow and then red. The other monitor works fine in the faulty monitors place.

I haven`t played them loud, very careful with my gears, both are calibrated (did this again after the problem occured).

I have reached out to the IK:s support but I have no plan yet how to resolve this problem.

Has any of you experienced this problem? How did you solve it? How good is the IK:s support/service?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeamus View Post
Hi!
Yesterday, one of my newly (end of August) bought MTM:s light, started blinkning yellow a couple of times and then red. The sound then stopped on that monitor. I restarted that monitor a couple of times, but the same problem came back after a couple of seconds regardless what I did on the computer (played sounds etc). I have tried alot of things (restarted the computer, upgrading mixer firmware, pulling out the power cord etc), nothing works. I switched the power/audio cables on the two monitors and it seems that it is nothing wrong with the cables, the faulty monitor still blinks yellow and then red. The other monitor works fine in the faulty monitors place.

I haven`t played them loud, both are calibrated (did this again after the problem occured). The faulty monitor crackles when I turn it on.

I have reached out to the IK:s support but no plan yet how to resolve this problem.

Has any of you experienced this problem? How did you solve it? How good is the IK:s support/service?
Can't you bring them back where you bought them? In my experience that's the better option usually.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
Can't you bring them back where you bought them? In my experience that's the better option usually.
I will try talking to the store, but I am afraid they thinks its to long time I bought them (29 August -2019). I really wish for IK to solve this fast and smooth so I can trust their service in the future.

Have you had lots of problems with tech?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeamus View Post
I will try talking to the store, but I am afraid they thinks its to long time I bought them (29 August -2019). I really wish for IK to solve this fast and smooth so I can trust their service in the future.

Have you had lots of problems with tech?
Not really, I had some issues with some speakers a year ago and got them exchanged 3 times by the shop after 1 year. But I live in Germany, so it´s different. Usually we have warranty for 3 years.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
Not really, I had some issues with some speakers a year ago and got them exchanged 3 times by the shop after 1 year. But I live in Germany, so it´s different. Usually we have warranty for 3 years.
I live in Sweden so we have 2 years warranty. I have given the store the monitor and now hope they replace it or fix it without any problems.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
How do these fair against the Genelec 8320A SAM 4" Powered Studio Monitors? I'm about to pull the trigger on the Gen's. Would love to hear from somebody that has both.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCruise View Post
How do these fair against the Genelec 8320A SAM 4" Powered Studio Monitors? I'm about to pull the trigger on the Gen's. Would love to hear from somebody that has both.
Earlier in this thread the MTMs were A/B'd with the Genelec 8351s (the Ones) and they 'held their own'. You should definitely consider the MTMs before spending that extra money.

Last edited by Macaroni; 4 weeks ago at 07:56 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Earlier in this thread the MTMs were A/B'd with the Genelec 8354s (the Ones) and they 'held their own'. You should definitely consider the MTMs before spending that extra money.
appreciate that, going back to read the whole thread. something about the gens that intrigue me more. Will take them both home to test
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
appreciate that, going back to read the whole thread. something about the gens that intrigue me more. Will take them both home to test
Please share your experiences.
Old 3 weeks ago
Smile

Quote:
Would love to hear about your comparison
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Has anyone done real world testing with the iLoud MTM with regard to latency when using the DSP in the monitors? Anyone playing guitar through them?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckbad View Post
Has anyone done real world testing with the iLoud MTM with regard to latency when using the DSP in the monitors? Anyone playing guitar through them?
I will receive mine next week
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckbad View Post
I use them to track with, outside the box, with the DSP correction on. Haven't measured lag but it's not noticeable to me. My overdubs of guitar and bass sound the regular amount of sloppy, tracked & mixed with the iLoud MTMs OTB...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hello! I have a TC Electronic Impact Twin. How to connect iLoud MTM? XLR male - Jack stereo or Jack - Jack?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VasilevM View Post
Hello! I have a TC Electronic Impact Twin. How to connect iLoud MTM? XLR male - Jack stereo or Jack - Jack?
It appears that interface has 4 Monitor/Line outputs. You can route 1&2 (or 3&4 if you wish) via 1/4 connection into the combo 1/4"/XLR input on the back of your iLoud MTM units.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search