The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
IK Multimedia unveils iLoud MTM reference monitor
Old 9th September 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB View Post
Sounds like they are the new NS-10's.
With the difference, that the MTMs are way more accurate than the NS-10 were. But both units punish you for a bad mix.
Old 9th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Angel View Post
so, to clarify:
mic center in the listening position, towards ceiling?
when i do the calibration, i need only 1 mic and i do one speaker after each other? do i understand that right?
The microphone will be in the listening position facing forward. Only 1 mic is needed. Once the first calibration is done, disconnect your mic from one speaker, then connect it to the other to repeat the process with the same mic positioning.

The User Manual will go over the full process in the Custom Calibration section starting on Page 10. If you've not set up your speakers and need a walk-through on set up, this should start on Page 7.

Old 9th September 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_IK View Post
The microphone will be in the listening position facing forward. Only 1 mic is needed. Once the first calibration is done, disconnect your mic from one speaker, then connect it to the other to repeat the process with the same mic positioning.

The User Manual will go over the full process in the Custom Calibration section starting on Page 10. If you've not set up your speakers and need a walk-through on set up, this should start on Page 7.
The manual says:

Quote:
making sure the mic capsule aperture points towards the ceiling.
so the mic capsule aperture is this thing and it should be facing upwards right? (I'm not able to upload images)

https://i.ibb.co/3S3178F/ARC-02-kb-H...-Iub-Tk4-W.jpg
Old 9th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by boveywong View Post
The manual says:

so the mic capsule aperture is this thing and it should be facing upwards right? (I'm not able to upload images)

https://i.ibb.co/3S3178F/ARC-02-kb-H...-Iub-Tk4-W.jpg
Yes, exactly. If you take another look at the image from my last post, notice where the text "Front" with an arrow showing it's direction is facing forward. This would result in the microphone aperture facing the ceiling. The full steps in the manual should elaborate on this.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear
On the mic placement subject - I have just bought the ARC 2.5 system, and at one point in the (current) manual it also states the mic should be pointing toward the ceiling, in direct contradiction to other parts of the manual and all the other info out there regarding how to place the newer MEMS mic.

Page 28 4.5.2

At this point, you should have your ARC2 Measurement Microphone connected to the audio interface mic input (+48 V phantom power ON), pointed at the ceiling, and at the correct height.

The image directly above this paragraph shows the mic horizontal.

Is this a typo that slipped through from the previous instructions, when the type of mic used was different?
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsimon View Post
On the mic placement subject - I have just bought the ARC 2.5 system, and at one point in the (current) manual it also states the mic should be pointing toward the ceiling, in direct contradiction to other parts of the manual and all the other info out there regarding how to place the newer MEMS mic.

Page 28 4.5.2

At this point, you should have your ARC2 Measurement Microphone connected to the audio interface mic input (+48 V phantom power ON), pointed at the ceiling, and at the correct height.

The image directly above this paragraph shows the mic horizontal.

Is this a typo that slipped through from the previous instructions, when the type of mic used was different?
I'd imagine it was for the previous mic + ARC and they'd forgotten to edit it out.
Most mics we use for measuring the room, we point into the ceiling due to the polar pattern. The current IK mic apparently has the capsule pointed vertically when the mic is pointing horizontally.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Nut

I also have had the "mic cable" issue, where the result with both mics and both cables resulted in a calibration profile that was completely unusable. I already sent in a support request (2188775) - I look forward to getting it resolved. Thanks Peter for your help here and insights.

EDIT: I calibrated the speakers with Sonarworks, and they respond very well to the calibration curve Sonarworks provides.

Also, weirdly, I hear electrical noise from the MTMs when a contractor across the street is revving up his circular saw. And only that. I have all my audio equipment going through a voltage-regulated power conditioner. My main speakers don't present that same noise.

Last edited by ccmdav; 10th September 2019 at 04:35 PM..
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

The ARC System manual states, and this should clarify completely:

Quote:
4.5.1 Microphone orientation
The ARC MEMS Measurement Microphone must be positioned
HORIZONTALLY for all ARC 2 measurements (figure 4.6). The previous versions of the microphone has to be positioned VERTICALLY.

After securely clipping the microphone on a standard mic stand, be sure to
point it at the speakers. Ideally, the microphone should be perfectly parallel
to the floor.

Try to use a mic stand with a boom arm that is extended as far away from
the stand as possible. This helps avoid reflections from the stand that will
interfere with the measurements at high frequencies. Do not stand or sit
near the microphone while the measurements are running.
With the following graphic between the first and second parts:
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia unveils iLoud MTM reference monitor-arc2micplacement.png  
Old 10th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post

Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

How else is the baby going to be in the sweet spot?? Get off my lawn! When I was a kid, we didn't have seat belt laws, and my parents drove me all the way down the east coast of the US with me laying across the back window ledge! What are we trying to do, keep people alive into the double digits? They aren't allowed to work at the factories at that age any more anyway...
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post

Thanks for the clarification Peter. Although the sentence in 4.5.2 / page 28 does confuse the issue.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Old 4 weeks ago
What's the typical distance you use these speakers? My room is 35 m² and they would find their place on stands behind a 80 cm deep desk close to the wall, resulting in a monitoring distance of ~ 150-160 cm. Looking forward for more tests and long-term experience. I find those speakers pretty interesting. Hope the cable / power supply issues (if there are any?) are getting fixed in the next batches. Port noise is totally normal for that size, I guess. I had the Neumann KH 80 here last year and there was also a little bit of port noise, depending on the bass.

Also not clear to me what exactly the speakers correct. Is it just EQing, is there phase correction, etc. involved?
What's the difference to e.g. Sonarworks or other systems?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
What's the typical distance you use these speakers?
Is it just EQing, is there phase correction, etc. involved?
The iLoud MTM are designed to be used as "super nearfield" monitors, so they will be similar to traditional near field speakers. In order to have a symmetrical stereo image it is also important to have symmetrical reflections: we recommend keeping a distance of at least 20 cm (8 inches) from the walls, in order to avoid low frequency emphasis.

More information and help on your set up can be found in the iLoud MTM user manual.

As for the calibration, the system is based off the ARC System 2.5. This entails more than just EQ The system is designed to improve clarity, stereo imaging and frequency response for faster, more reliable mixing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am testing these little monitors speakers for a few days now. They are simply amazing. Really amazing. I cannot believe how could IK Multimedia get such a sound out of such small boxes. They are the best low level mixing speakers I have ever heard. Period. Crazy good for location work and as a true nearfield complementary speakers to anything else. IMHO they sound better than Neumann KH80 DSP that I also have here. If I could say for one product that might become world standard, these MTMs might be it considering their price/performance ratio. Affordable considering their performance, sound very neutral, non fatiguing and have superb midrange. Switching between 8351+7360 to these is totally seamless. While these won't provide low lows, they will give very very accurate, tight and punchy low end and of course they will not sound as open above 10kHz as bigger more expensive speakers, but midrange is there - clear uncolored. Really, for low mixing (balancing, eq-ing, everything related to mixing) without fatigue these are godsend. For small rooms these can be your only mixing speaker without hesitation. You can get more powerful speakers for their money. But regarding clarity and sound quality, one has to go to something like Genelec 8330 with GLM, which is bigger and much more expensive system to gain additional top end clarity. For their price these should sell like crazy and calibration works perfectly. Since they are MTM design their vertical dispersion is not very wide so really pay attention to get tweeter to point your ears.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I am testing these little monitors speakers for a few days now. They are simply amazing. Really amazing. I cannot believe how could IK Multimedia get such a sound out of such small boxes. They are the best low level mixing speakers I have ever heard. Period. Crazy good for location work and as a true nearfield complementary speakers to anything else. IMHO they sound better than Neumann KH80 DSP that I also have here. If I could say for one product that might become world standard, these MTMs might be it considering their price/performance ratio. Affordable considering their performance, sound very neutral, non fatiguing and have superb midrange. Switching between 8351+7360 to these is totally seamless. While these won't provide low lows, they will give very very accurate, tight and punchy low end and of course they will not sound as open above 10kHz as bigger more expensive speakers, but midrange is there - clear uncolored. Really, for low mixing (balancing, eq-ing, everything related to mixing) without fatigue these are godsend. For small rooms these can be your only mixing speaker without hesitation. You can get more powerful speakers for their money. But regarding clarity and sound quality, one has to go to something like Genelec 8330 with GLM, which is bigger and much more expensive system to gain additional top end clarity. For their price these should sell like crazy and calibration works perfectly. Since they are MTM design their vertical dispersion is not very wide so really pay attention to get tweeter to point your ears.
Glad to hear you enjoy your pair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsimon View Post
Thanks for the clarification Peter. Although the sentence in 4.5.2 / page 28 does confuse the issue.
We've gone ahead and updated the manual to prevent any future confusion. Grab the latest copy from your User Area -> My Products section of your IK Multimedia account.

Quote:
Also not clear to me what exactly the speakers correct. Is it just EQing, is there phase correction, etc. involved?
To further elaborate on my last reply, traditional room correction EQ and advanced self-calibrated monitor systems generally are only able to correct the frequency response of a room but not the phase problems that can be introduced by room acoustics. Actually, traditional room correction EQ can alter the phase response by itself adding this to the already present phase room alterations. The calibration process based on the ARC system will help take care of all of these behaviors, keeping you mixing your project and not the room.
Old 4 weeks ago
Also, for anyone looking for a in-depth review of the iLoud MTM. Check it out, Sound on Sound, a very reputable source posted a review. No cons to list. The summary is below, but if anyone is interested they can click here to read more.

Quote:
The only ultra-compact D'Appolito monitor that also includes onboard room correction turns out to be everything that it promises. A unique and genuinely great little monitor that ought to work well for all sorts of users.

-Sound on Sound
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_IK View Post
The iLoud MTM are designed to be used as "super nearfield" monitors, so they will be similar to traditional near field speakers. In order to have a symmetrical stereo image it is also important to have symmetrical reflections: we recommend keeping a distance of at least 20 cm (8 inches) from the walls, in order to avoid low frequency emphasis.

More information and help on your set up can be found in the iLoud MTM user manual.

As for the calibration, the system is based off the ARC System 2.5. This entails more than just EQ The system is designed to improve clarity, stereo imaging and frequency response for faster, more reliable mixing.

Thanks, I already looked in the manual, but there are no distances listed. I read a bit between the lines that it might be better to keep the speakers on the table instead of stands behind the table.

Is the speaker size on purpose, i.e. does it have acoustical reasons (e.g. better phase coherence, etc.) or is it because they should be portable too?
Old 4 weeks ago
I guess the KH80 can play louder. Did you compare the loudness of the speakers and can you say why you like the iLoud more? In what distance are you using them?

Quote:
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess the KH80 can play louder. Did you compare the loudness of the speakers and can you say why you like the iLoud more? In what distance are you using them?
Yes, Neumanns are more capable monitors, an play louder and hold together much better and play cleaner at higher levels (80dB SPL/1m and more). I used them at 0,75m, very nearfield position. iLouds have integrated calibration and are slightly nicer to listen to. KH80 do sound more open with slightly better upper midrange clarity. I prefer low end on MTMs though, but you need to be careful with levels. They are really god at low levels, the more you crank them, the more their physical limitations come into play.

I didn’t buy them, only tested them for a few days. But if I needed location speakers for critical work, they would excel for this application.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Having great highend speakers I wonder which IK speakers are better to represent how the average listener may hear your music.....the MTM or the Micro
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicStrike View Post
Having other better speakers I wonder in the IK MTM or the Micro are better to represent how the average listener may hear your music.....
I'd like to know that, too. I picked up some Micro monitors a few months ago and I'm pretty impressed for the price. Curious how they match up with each other...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
I'd like to know that, too. I picked up some Micro monitors a few months ago and I'm pretty impressed for the price. Curious how they match up with each other...
Yep I think in a way is non sense getting "the better speaker" rvrn if they are closer in a way to a highend monitor..as for that I have really great highend monitors....I rather have a pair of speakers that bring some info/quality that get me closer to what is the average consumer audio reference.

so if the micro gets me closer I rather prefer that even if the MTM sounds "nicer/better" as for that I have 2 highend monitors.
Old 3 weeks ago
I would choose the monitors in such a way to get the best and flatest sound possible. I think it depends very much on the music how the average listener may hear your music. If you make Jazz more people will listen on good hifi systems, if you make Rap they might listen more on earbuds or Beats By Dre headphones. I wouldn't mix on any grot boxes. Maybe add a pair of cheap PC speakers to double check your mixes.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Man View Post
From what I hear, seems that the MTM are very flattering in the low end??

To be able to hear the bass "note" so clearly in such a small speaker when u can not hear it so well in the Focal Solo..... now I do not know which speaker is the most realistic in the low end....

Guys, any thoughts?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I really enjoy listening to bass on these speakers in my very heavily treated room, so I suppose you might say they're 'flattering' to the bass in the sense that they sound pretty great down there as long as the overall volume isn't too loud. But I'm finding that my low end translates as well as or better than with any other speakers I've used - now part of that is probably that this is the best treated room I've ever had, but it seems clear to me that the bass on these isn't flattering the music in a way that causes me to make bad mix decisions.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I don't care what any of you say, these things are awesome.

15 minutes to set up and calibrate. Sound is more detailed and balanced than my Neumann KH120's in my small untreated mix space. Love these!
Old 3 weeks ago
I wonder how the speakers correct SBIR issues. Let's assume you have a hole of 15 dB at 100Hz. Will this frequency be increased by15dB and does this reduce the maximum possible volume to prevent the speaker distorting at this frequency?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon2004 View Post
I really enjoy listening to bass on these speakers in my very heavily treated room, so I suppose you might say they're 'flattering' to the bass in the sense that they sound pretty great down there as long as the overall volume isn't too loud. But I'm finding that my low end translates as well as or better than with any other speakers I've used - now part of that is probably that this is the best treated room I've ever had, but it seems clear to me that the bass on these isn't flattering the music in a way that causes me to make bad mix decisions.
Exactly...lets say my concern or doubt is how true the lowend is.......and how hype or too good is the bass on the MTM

if that is general feel about the lowend on the MTM so is great news
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I wonder how the speakers correct SBIR issues. Let's assume you have a hole of 15 dB at 100Hz. Will this frequency be increased by15dB and does this reduce the maximum possible volume to prevent the speaker distorting at this frequency?
That is a very common dip freq in medium to small rooms...I watch a video and seems that in that region the MTM correction software make it better but far from almost great.

I wonder that sonarworks would do a better job on that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search