The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler Limited TG Microphone - ears and hands on at NAMM Condenser Microphones
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Addict

I began rethinking and rocked my mic locker last year after buying Coil Audio 286 and 70 preamps which both have user controlled negative feedback and tone shaping. The 70 is powerful and thick and the 286 strong, clear and hi-fi, until you swap 286 modular input and output transformers to taste.

Using the Coils for 9 months got me comfortable enough to sell my Tele ELA M 251E, knowing I could replace with an Upton/Bock or, check out a range of nice mics and adjust tone to taste, without EQ. I am on that second route now with the Upton/Bock as a backup plan.

Earthworks SV-33 has proven a great blank canvas, I picked up a C-100 for a 2/23 session and preordered an AEA KU5A last Nov. That is not the mic locker, but my list of experimental mics.

The TG mic with so many options seems like a perfect fit for me this year and the excellent 96K WAV files mentioned here give me an opportunity to run them through the CA preamps to explore my tone options on the two vocal samples.

Thanks for the heads up on the vocal files.

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 9th February 2019 at 04:15 PM..
Old 9th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 View Post
See, I didn’t find them close. And I don’t mean that in a disparaging way. It’s just that I could easily identify them in a blind comparison every time. I think the Upton sounds softer, more “vintage”, mid forward. The TG sounds more “hi-fi”, big bottom, clear top. Both very good in different ways.
Golden ears all hear differently! Haha

But again, it was only two settings, and neither was in the B setting, nor was any pad engaged. Something else might have gotten closer to what you prefer, including just how you position the mic.

I don't think it's meant to copy a 251, but the clips do demonstrate that this can be taken seriously as a studio vocal mic.
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
I began rethinking and rocked my mic locker last year after buying Coil Audio 286 and 70 preamps which both have user controlled negative feedback and tone shaping. The 70 is powerful and thick and the 286 strong, clear and hi-fi, until you swap 286 modular input and output transformers to taste.

Using the Coils for 9 months got me comfortable enough to sell my Tele ELA M 251E, knowing I could replace with an Upton/Bock or, check out a range of nice mics and adjust tone to taste, without EQ. I am on that second route now with the Upton as a backup plan.

Earthworks SV-33 has proven a great blank canvas, I picked up a C-100 for a 2/23 session and preordered an AEA KU5A last Nov. That is not the mic locker, but my list of experimental mics.

The TG mic with so many options seems like a perfect fit for me this year and the excellent 96K WAV files mentioned here give me an opportunity to run them through the CA preamps to explore my tone options on the two vocal samples.

Thanks for the heads up on the vocal files.
This has been my exact thought! I've got the CA-70S here, the stand alone rack single channel rack version. The negative feedback let's me dial in the tone a little, and the preamp in general is a vibe beast! I'm thinking the TG mic coupled with a vibey preamp like this would be just the ticket, making taking off some of that super clear top end if needed.
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Golden ears all hear differently! Haha

But again, it was only two settings, and neither was in the B setting, nor was any pad engaged. Something else might have gotten closer to what you prefer, including just how you position the mic.

I don't think it's meant to copy a 251, but the clips do demonstrate that this can be taken seriously as a studio vocal mic.
I definitely do not have golden ears. And I was listening on crappy Sony 7506’s. I don’t think the Upton and TG sounded even close to each other. Vastly different characteristics. I do agree that the TG can be taken seriously as a studio vocal mic. I’d really like to try one paired with my Coil Audio preamp. My gut says that would be the cats meow.
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

TG Microphone into the REDD.47 Mic Amplifier, this is how I was running it at NAMM. P.S. into a solid state preamp like the TG2 is just as fab, it just depends what you’re going for.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Here is part two of a video I did on the TG Mic with examples.

Old 12th March 2019
Gear Addict

Placed a TG Mic order yesterday after rewatching Paul’s Recording Mag video and others with Wade and Adam. There really is a lot to talk about with this mic and at the current price, I expect it will be popular.

Looking forward to my turn in the shipping queue and putting it to the test.
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
Around about 330 min mark you have John Kennedy in his loft studio and hes running through his explanation on the TG and then you can hear a dog barking.

Not sure Id wanna be doing a session there.

Youd be there doing a vocal take and John would say could you do that again.

Id say what do you mean John . I thought that was pretty good.

John would say Nah I could hear a bit too much growl in the performance.

Or that one had a bit of bite to it.

Cheers
Really? Beware of numbnuts who don’t like dogs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search