The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundtheory Announces Windows Version of Gullfoss
Old 22nd January 2019
News Desk Editor

Soundtheory Announces Windows Version of Gullfoss-unnamed.png

Debuts Windows version of Gullfoss Intelligent EQ at NAMM 2019 with special introductory pricing

Soundtheory announces the Windows version of their intelligent automatic EQ plugin, Gullfoss. Windows users get a first look at the 2019 NAMM Show in the Anaheim Convention Center from January 24 through January 27, 2019.

Gullfoss is an intelligent equalizer based on a highly advanced computational model of auditory perception. It makes objective decisions on equalization around 300 times per second. The user can increase the perception of clarity, space and dimension of any input signal — with low latency (22ms), and no artifacts or phase destruction. Additionally, Gullfoss eliminates annoying resonances and cancellations and retains dynamics and reduces the need for multiband compression. Gullfoss is an easy-to-use tool for everyone from the amateur musician to the professional mastering engineer, delivering exceptional results in a matter of seconds.

“Gullfoss has quickly found a unique place in the plug-in collections of many people in the audio industry. We’ve been exceptionally happy with the response to the Mac version.”, said Andreas Beisler, Development Director of Soundtheory. “We’re delighted to be able to showcase the Windows version at NAMM 2019, and we expect the early access phase to start at the end of February 2019.”

Key Features
  • Automatic equalization in real-time, based on simple input parameters
  • Highly advanced computational auditory perception model makes objective processing decisions
  • Intelligently treats sound elements in the mix separately
  • Improves clarity, detail, spatiality, definition and presence
  • Eliminates annoying resonances and cancellations
  • Retains dynamics and reduces the need for multiband compression
  • Mixes translate much more consistently between listening environments
  • Improve your mixes by watching the real-time EQ graph display

Price and Availability
Gullfoss for Windows will be available at a special introductory early access price of $99 USD at Soundtheory - Reveal your sound from the end of February 2019 (regular price: $199.00).
Attached Thumbnails
Soundtheory Announces Windows Version of Gullfoss-unnamed.png  
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Maniac

Halleluja
Old 22nd January 2019
I'm excited about giving this a try.
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Maniac

Thought it was available for download for a moment, lol.
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

$99 at end of feb...

begins to save pennies......
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Maniac

Heard they’re going ilok. That’s a no-go for me :(
Old 22nd January 2019
Here for the gear

Can Mac users also buy it for the $99 discount during this period?
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Addict

Subscribed.
Old 23rd January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycutter View Post
Can Mac users also buy it for the $99 discount during this period?
Not exactly. What you can do is buy it but it will only work on windows UNTIL they are out of beta. Then your license becomes universal. At least that's how they explained it last time. So if you want the discount, you can't actually use the plugin until April or so. So you are playing a bit of a long game.
Old 24th January 2019
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=Not exactly. What you can do is buy it but it will only work on windows UNTIL they are out of beta. Then your license becomes universal. At least that's how they explained it last time. So if you want the discount, you can't actually use the plugin until April or so. So you are playing a bit of a long game.[/QUOTE]

I really hope thats not the case.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I really hope thats not the case.
That's on their website and doesn't seem unreasonable. I also now understand that with ilok manager you can put the license on the PC and don't need an ilok dongle if the dev allows it. If this is possible I'd probably have to buy it
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplay View Post
That's on their website and doesn't seem unreasonable. I also now understand that with ilok manager you can put the license on the PC and don't need an ilok dongle if the dev allows it. If this is possible I'd probably have to buy it
AFAIK Gullfoss don't use ilok or pace. There's no mention about that on their site.
Old 24th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplay View Post
Likewise it doesn’t seem unreasonable to allow me use it on my Mac upon purchase rather than make me wait until April/May, especially as its available.

Not rocket science, but I understand I’m trying to get a good deal here and so I should probably suffer as a consequence.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Likewise it doesn’t seem unreasonable to allow me use it on my Mac upon purchase rather than make me wait until April/May, especially as its available.

Not rocket science, but I understand I’m trying to get a good deal here and so I should probably suffer as a consequence.
Mac users had their chance to get it at an early access price last year ( which I took advantage of ). You could say that if Mac users got another chance now, that would be unfair to PC users.

Incidentally, Gullfoss doesn't use iLok. At least my version doesn't. There's online and offline activations. I got 10 online activations and 2 offline. I only use the offline ones fwiw.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah they explained months ago that this is how it would work - mac users got an intro/early access price while they worked out kinks on mac,,, now windows users get intro/early access pricing while they work out kinks on windows.

I think it's very cool, and above and beyond, that they've allowed mac users to have a second bite at the early access price, albeit with having to wait a while... I mean, us windows folks have had to wait plenty!
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Pretty sure they're switching to ilok:

Quote from keyboard mag: Soundtheory Announces Windows Version of Gullfos - KeyboardMag

Soundtheory is also moving from its proprietary internal copy protection system to the widely accepted PACE iLok protection. “While our internal protection has performed very well, it has taken up considerable development resource. We’re happy to partner with PACE so that there is less chance of downtime while we concentrate on what we do best - developing cutting edge concepts and plug-ins.”, said Andreas Tell, Research Director of Soundtheory.
Old 25th January 2019
News Desk Editor

Old 22nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Any updates for windows?
Old 22nd February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
Any updates for windows?
Tell me I'm not the only one F5-ing the website every hour or so.
Old 22nd February 2019
Gear Nut

You're not the only one, I'm checkin it pretty darn frequently over here. It's been a long wait and I think I'm goin crazy- Hey SoundTheory what's the eta? Ahhhhhhhhh!
Old 22nd February 2019
Gear Nut

So how long they will have the 99,00 intro price?

Also till end of April?

So could I, as a Mac user, buy it end of April and use it in May?

Just asking
Old 22nd February 2019
unr
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibling View Post
So how long they will have the 99,00 intro price?

Also till end of April?

So could I, as a Mac user, buy it end of April and use it in May?

Just asking
from their homepage:

Quote:
When we release the Windows version of Gullfoss there will be an Early Access phase that will last for a few months. Throughout Early Access the price will be $99 or equivalent (roughly half price). We expect that the Windows version will go through a number of periodic releases as we proactively deal with specific issues that are fed back by customers. This is very similar to the process after the launch of the Mac version in early 2018. Once the Windows version is completely stable we'll announce the end of Early Access, and with one month's warning, the price will revert to $199.

In general, a license for Gullfoss can be used on a Mac or Windows version (once Windows is released). But during Windows Early Access there will be one caveat. Any user can purchase a license for $99, but the half-price licenses will not be able to be used on Mac until we are out of Early Access. (This could be as late as Easter 2019.) This means that you will not be able to use your $99 license on Mac for a period of a few months. You will, however, be able to purchase a license which can be used on Mac for a 20% discounted price of $159 during Windows Early Access.
Old 22nd February 2019
Gear Nut

Thanks for calrifying
Old 22nd February 2019
osk
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by unr View Post
But during Windows Early Access there will be one caveat. Any user can purchase a license for $99, but the half-price licenses will not be able to be used on Mac until we are out of Early Access. (This could be as late as Easter 2019.) This means that you will not be able to use your $99 license on Mac for a period of a few months.
why? why the wait for a few months? it makes no sense..
Old 22nd February 2019
unr
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by osk View Post
why? why the wait for a few months? it makes no sense..
Maybe because they introduce their Ilok licensing with the Windows release and have no time supporting both a new Win and Mac version at the same time.
Old 26th February 2019
Gear Maniac

February ain't happening right?
What a shame.

I'm not a developer so can someone technical explain why it is so hard to develop a Windows Version of this plugin?
Other devs have multi-OS support out of the box.

Not hating, genuinely curious!
Old 26th February 2019
Gear Nut

Thats what the Newsletter says:

Windows Early Access

The Windows early access version of Gullfoss is close to release. We’re officially in beta now and hope to enter early access by the end of February depending on the issues that might arise. It is possible we may be a few days late. We will send another newsletter on release.
Old 26th February 2019
Here for the gear

I posted this in the mac thread already but here's the newsletter i received today for those that didn't get one..

Newsletter #7
February 26 2019

We have some news to share with you:

Windows early access
iLok
New Mac Version
Winter NAMM 2019

Windows Early Access

The Windows early access version of Gullfoss is close to release. We’re officially in beta now and hope to enter early access by the end of February depending on the issues that might arise. It is possible we may be a few days late. We will send another newsletter on release.

Let’s break down the early access pricing model

During the windows early access, we will be selling two products. One is a Gullfoss personal cross platform license for $159. The other is the Windows early access edition for $99 that will only become cross platform some time after early access will have ended.

The price difference honors the fact that the windows early access will still have a number of issues and every early access customer takes part in a public beta test to make the software ready for prime time. Mac users had the same early access opportunity when the Mac version was launched.
Did someone say iLok?

Yes. Once Early Access begins, all future orders (both PC & Mac) will be using iLok by PACE instead of our current copy-protection.

We know some of you have a history with iLok and will not like this decision. However, it’s more flexible than our current copy-protection model and it lets us focus on plug-in development instead of security. And iLok is now much more flexible than it was in the past. You now have the option for machine-, dongle-, or cloud-based activations. That means you don’t even need a dongle and you can have a machine-based activation and simply concentrate on using Gullfoss to massage your audio into sonic heaven.

All you need is a free iLok account and the iLok License manager software installed on your computer.

Users of our current copy-protection can switch to using iLok if they wish to do so. Please contact support.
Introducing Gullfoss version 1.2.10 for Mac

We’re also happy to announce the latest version of Gullfoss – 1.2.10 – available for immediate download.
NAMM 2019

We had a very successful NAMM show in Anaheim, California this year. It was great to meet so many Gullfoss supporters and finally demonstrate the PC version of Gullfoss!

We provided several demos to some of the biggest names in the industry, from Tchad Blake to Bernie Grundman.
Tchad Blake, getting a demo from EddieTchad Blake, getting a demo from Eddie With Gullfoss, it’s all smiles for Bernie Grundman and AndreasWith Gullfoss, it’s all smiles for Bernie Grundman and Andreas Eddie, David, and Andreas before the start of NAMM 2019Eddie, David, and Andreas before the start of NAMM 2019
Switch from cloud to machine activation

We know that many of you are still using a cloud-based (online) activation on Mac. It is highly recommended that you switch to a machine-based (offline) activation – as this will allow Gullfoss to work uninterrupted by internet outages or server downtime.

If you’ve purchased Gullfoss, especially in a professional environment with tight deadlines, it’s best to use a machine-based activation so that you can continue to work uninterrupted.

For the avoidance of doubt:

Cloud-based activation means that your version of Gullfoss must always be connected to the Internet while it is being used. (Although we do allow for outages that might be minutes long.)
Machine-based activation means that you can use Gullfoss permanently on a machine not connected to the Internet. You will need to be online in order to set up your machine activation. You can install and activate Gullfoss on several local user accounts and on different machines. You get 2 machine activations and 3 cloud-based activations.

To switch from your current cloud-based activation to a machine-based activation, please perform the following steps:

Go to our website and download the latest version and install it
Open Gullfoss and click on the logo
Click on the license information
Press the ‘Deactivate’ button in the license dialog that appeared
Press the ‘Authorize’ button
Put in your credentials and make sure to select ‘Machine’ when asked for the variant

Now you can use Gullfoss without an internet connection!
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Website has been changed to "Windows version available soon!"

Bummer :(
What are they doing there? :D :D

It's not a new plugin surely?It's an OS port?
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannymac View Post
Website has been changed to "Windows version available soon!"

Bummer :(
What are they doing there? :D :D

It's not a new plugin surely?It's an OS port?
noooooooo
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search