The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundtheory Announces Windows Version of Gullfoss
Old 10th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by atell View Post
We've heard you. There are many small improvements that we are intending to bring with a major update.

Andreas
Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
And I have listened, and even though I used headphones, I heard what I was expecting. The stereo image is shifted to the left, it feels weird. Sounds like you´re trying to polish a turd with so much processing on the 2-buss, instead of working on the innards of the mix.

Also, you need to grow a thicker skin, I never meant to insult you, I was questionning your methods, that is all (confirmed by that soundcloud file). If all you can do to defend yourself is to use ad-hominem attacks, maybe you simply need to grow.
Thank you for your response. You should word your English better. "Who puts a plugin after the limiter?" sounds pompous and downtrottening. That's what made me respond the way that I did. All you had to do was say. "Based on what other professionals said and tried, they don't recommend putting such a plugin after the limiter"...something to that effect.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammond231 View Post
This horrible CanOpener stuff has totally hijacked this thread. Please stop.

I try to lay low on Gearslutz for the most part. But you're either trolling us or are so bad at this that I feel the need to say something. I'm just gonna say it. you're mixes sound terrible and wouldn't come close to competing in the real world unless you're doing some really esoteric, experimental thing. The phase coherency has been completely annihilated. BTW, when you muted all those plugins towards the end the track sounded a million times better. Do that.

Please let us carry on discussing the merits of Gulfoss and realize you are one of the ones that could benefit from listening and learning here rather than trying to exert some authority like a guru.

In fact, if many of you ever got the chance to sit in with some real mix guys you'd realize they aren't using all this trick stuff. I doubt they've even heard of half of it. Here in Nashville where half the decent sounding recordings in the world are mixed it's mostly stock plugins, Waves, FabFilter, IK and UAD. Behind the times, maybe. But we know how to use what we got.

Gulfoss is really good. Let's talk about that, pretty please with sugar on top.
The latter: you're just behind in the times. Horrible is subjective. Thank you for your time, mate. Cheers. I shouldn't have to let you get on with the conversation. Just ignore me if you feel I'm trolling you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Irizarry View Post
Thank you for your response. You should word your English better. "Who puts a plugin after the limiter?" sounds pompous and downtrottening. That's what made me respond the way that I did. All you had to do was say. "Based on what other professionals said and tried, they don't recommend putting such a plugin after the limiter"...something to that effect.
I apologize, sorry if I offended you, it was a clumsy choice of words. Don't hold a grudge on me
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Irizarry View Post
The latter: you're just behind in the times. Horrible is subjective. Thank you for your time, mate. Cheers. I shouldn't have to let you get on with the conversation. Just ignore me if you feel I'm trolling you.
See what you did there, “Mr. Canopener”?

You pretty much killed a decent thread by running off all the folks that wanted to talk about Gulfoss here. And still you keep on keeping on.

Ignorance and arrogance. A winning combination.

Hey, y’all, let’s go back to talking about this cool plugin. I think that using it for metering only a mix-in-progress in the beginning is a great idea!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

I will try to get things back on track. Gullfoss is an excellent tool and really versatile.

For example, setting the high pass filter to about 4Khz and dialling in the tame to about 45%, then the recover and brightness to taste, and I am finding that it is the only de-esser I am using these days as it is so transparent.
It de-harshes those upper frequencies as in general. Very smooth.

I bought an early access license for Windows, and was lucky enough to win an additional license in a competition.
Even though it was a non-transferable license, SoundTheory support were good enough to allow me to transfer the EA license to my friend.

Nothing but good things to say about their product or their company.

PS. Mods/admins should probably clean up this thread of all of the completely off-topic, pointless arguing that has nothing to do with this product.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
For example, setting the high pass filter to about 4Khz and dialling in the tame to about 45%, then the recover and brightness to taste, and I am finding that it is the only de-esser I am using these days as it is so transparent.
It de-harshes those upper frequencies as in general. Very smooth.
I'm guessing you mean setting the upper range limiter to 4K??
Thanks for the tip!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
For compliance with the current (European) legislation, we require that you subscribe to our newsletter explicitly. Being a registered user does not suffice to receive the newsletter.

Sorry for this. We think it's nonsensical, too.

Andreas

Any chance you could let us select a "weak" password??

everyone here has multiple plugin accounts and it's nice to be able to set them all to the same thing. Like with apple I have to reset my password every time I want to log on.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickledPat View Post
Any chance you could let us select a "weak" password??

everyone here has multiple plugin accounts and it's nice to be able to set them all to the same thing. Like with apple I have to reset my password every time I want to log on.
Our password strength test checks against a database of passwords that are usually used for brute force attacks. If our system rejects your password, you shouldn't use it. We explicitly don't use arbitrary requirements like others do (minimum length, special characters, numbers, etc). I would personally recommend using passwords that you can remember well but that are also too complex for a brute force attack. Try simple sentences that you can type quickly. Something like "ILikeBeethovenOnSundays". Maybe make it something that you can easily associate with the website you're on. And lastly, please use a password manager and use unique passwords. Identity theft is no joke.

Andreas
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Our password strength test checks against a database of passwords that are usually used for brute force attacks. If our system rejects your password, you shouldn't use it. We explicitly don't use arbitrary requirements like others do (minimum length, special characters, numbers, etc). I would personally recommend using passwords that you can remember well but that are also too complex for a brute force attack. Try simple sentences that you can type quickly. Something like "ILikeBeethovenOnSundays". Maybe make it something that you can easily associate with the website you're on. And lastly, please use a password manager and use unique passwords. Identity theft is no joke.

Andreas
fair enough
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Had a bit of pre-excitement with an Email saying a Gullfoss update.

Downloaded and installed ... looks to be more of a minor, maintenance.

Reading the Docs, I founds some new [or newer] information that I didn't know regarding flipping settings [A/B], numeric entry ... but it does NOT use the Number Pad [only the QWERTY] it seems. hmm that's a drag.

The 'arrow' keys are also suppose to change settings ... but I've not gotten that to work.

Was hoping for some addition from suggestions ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search